Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/17/2020 10:34:52 PM EDT
My wife thinks I'm crazy.......but before every road trip we take (usually towing the camper)....I have a little ritual I go through.  I wash the truck, vacuum it all out, wash the camper, get it all shined up, and get everything looking as good as I can.  Check the tire pressure, check the engine oil, put a nice coat of wax on everything, etc, etc....To me, it makes me feel a little better...like I'm taking care of my equipment, so it's going to take care of me. Logically I know it doesn't really matter.......but I just figure that if stuff is nice and clean.....it's going to be more reliable, and give me less problems.  So far (know on wood), I really haven't had any issues....even on 2,000+ mile road trips across the country.

Anyone else have any kind of pre-roadtrip stuff they do?

Obligatory picture of the wife......

Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Rotate tires, change oil, double check suspension, fill up fridge.

That’s if it’s over 10hrs away and 5+ days away. Anything less and it’s just toss and go. Most of my road trips involve off-road driving.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Dear diary,
Today op was a good guy.

I check all the fluids and tire pressure. That's about it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of the time I try to calculate the distance so I know if I should get the oil changed first-but that is generally for trips over 1500 miles.  If the trip is over 3hrs one way, I might check tire pressure and wash the windows.  If the trip is going to be multiple meals - might get a roll of paper towels and a box of zip locks for leftovers.  Serious trips will get the 12v fridge installed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rotate tires, change oil, double check suspension, fill up fridge.

That's if it's over 10hrs away and 5+ days away. Anything less and it's just toss and go. Most of my road trips involve off-road driving.
View Quote

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I pretty much do the same as you, OP. I like starting a trip with a clean vehicle that’s been given a once over.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I pretty much do the same as you, OP. I like starting a trip with a clean vehicle that’s been given a once over.
View Quote

I'm glad I'm not the only one......

I know it's mostly superficial....but I live having stuff clean. It just seems like it's going to give me less problems that a dirty, nasty vehicle....
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Same as everyone else.

Just to add, grab the impact and give the lug nuts a little tightening.

Edit*

Bring the impact with you and HD jack. Makes a tire change or repair easier
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:55:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Combos and a Rockstar, fire up Waze.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:59:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh, and throw every conceivable tool possible into the truck. I swear I take enough tools to tear apart the truck, including the wiring, and put it all back together.

Why? Cause shit happens and the worst possible time. Tools are priceless in those moments. Even if it ain’t the right tool, if I bring enough, I’ll make something work.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#10]
All the above and maybe an oil change if it is close.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oh, and throw every conceivable tool possible into the truck. I swear I take enough tools to tear apart the truck, including the wiring, and put it all back together.

Why? Cause shit happens and the worst possible time. Tools are priceless in those moments. Even if it ain’t the right tool, if I bring enough, I’ll make something work.
View Quote

Yep...I do that!
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:01:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I always pack a tire plugging kit and 12 volt air compressor. Get the T handle ones!
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dear diary,
Today op was a good guy.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:04:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Anything overnight and we'll bust out a quick prayer before we drive away.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:04:10 PM EDT
[#15]
When taking the boat, pack floor jack, square of plywood, battery powered impact, and correct impact socket.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I hate doing a road trip in a dirty vehicle

Check oil and tire pressure and the other fluids.  Especially washer fluid.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:09:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm gonna be that guy and suggest knocking the bottom out of the wife for good luck. Just to be safe..
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When taking the boat, pack floor jack, square of plywood, battery powered impact, and correct impact socket.
View Quote

Yep, I learned that lesson a few years ago when a tire on the boat trailer blew out! Sure is nice to have a nice floor jack instead of those cheap junky jacks that come with most vehicles....
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm gonna be that guy and suggest knocking the bottom out of the wife for good luck. Just to be safe..
View Quote

Yeah......that's one of the first things on my checklist Never can be too safe.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Me too
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#21]
The 1st and most important ritual you should be getting after is buffing the table with the wife. She's smokin, and appears to be handy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:12:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Basically the same. I change the oil, wash it, clean it, empty the trunk,

It's a bit like a pre flight inspection, gives you a chance to inspect stuff and make sure everything is ok
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The 1st and most important ritual you should be getting after is buffing the table with the wife. She's smokin, and appears to be handy.
View Quote

She can run a saw...but she can run her mouth too. Like every women...they can get on your nerves.....

If she could actually cook...she would be perfect....
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:17:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Verify I have the following: tools, blow-out tape (fix a hose), air compressor, battery jumper, knife, paracord, flashlights, bungee cords and poncho. Blankets, sweats & gloves in winter.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I obsessively walk around the house and make sure all lights and electronics are off (except the ones on timer), and check multiple times that the doors are locked. Takes about 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

She build this entire deck around her "stock tank pool" on her own.....I hate Pinterest!!!

Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:28:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I check all the lights. I do this because it's the only time I ever check them, because I almost never drive at night when we're near home.

2 years ago we went on a road trip in the wife's old car because we planned to tow a trailer home. I forgot to check the headlights. Met some friends for dinner then made our way to their house after dinner and as we drove out of town I remarked to my wife that the road sure was dark - turned out, both low-beams were burned out. I had to drive several miles with just the hi-beams.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I pack.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I pack.
View Quote

Pack what? Food...clothes....condoms....weapons....all of the above?
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#31]
One of my neighbors cleans the everliving shit out of his RV like you do before taking it out. He's up on ladder spraying something in a bottle all over it.

I like a clean truck (I'll run it through the car wash and vacuum) before road tripping too but damn he seems to go overboard. It's all good. Nothing wrong with taking pride in your possessions.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:42:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
One of my neighbors cleans the everliving shit out of his RV like you do before taking it out. He's up on ladder spraying something in a bottle all over it.

I like a clean truck (I'll run it through the car wash and vacuum) before road tripping too but damn he seems to go overboard. It's all good. Nothing wrong with taking pride in your possessions.
View Quote

Yep....I don't go too crazy, but I like stuff clean. A clean vehicle just seems to give me more confidence than a dirty one.......
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I also take about an hour to figure out which guns to take, how much ammo, best way to pack it, etc.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:44:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

She build this entire deck around her "stock tank pool" on her own.....I hate Pinterest!!!

https://i.imgur.com/UrHQPos.jpg
View Quote

Lol holy fuck thats amazing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:48:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yep....I don't go too crazy, but I like stuff clean. A clean vehicle just seems to give me more confidence than a dirty one.......
View Quote

Oil change before road tripping is nice.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I obsessively walk around the house and make sure all lights and electronics are off (except the ones on timer), and check multiple times that the doors are locked. Takes about 20 minutes.
View Quote

Me too. OCD sucks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/UrHQPos.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Ricky!!!! he couldn't keep his testicles to himself...
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:51:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I also take about an hour to figure out which guns to take, how much ammo, best way to pack it, etc.
View Quote

I don't take quite that long....but I do pick out the guns in want to take....
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:55:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Anything overnight and we'll bust out a quick prayer before we drive away.
View Quote

I am going out on a limb and say that OP married up based on the visual evidence.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Same here except I have my wife do it all. I bought her a new floor Jack too
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:08:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Same here except I have my wife do it all. I bought her a new floor Jack too
View Quote

Nice!! ??
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 7:48:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I am going out on a limb and say that OP married up based on the visual evidence.
View Quote

Maybe
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#44]
I always clean my truck once a week, but will clean it again before going on a trip.  If I’m towing a trailer, jack, air compressor and ugga dugga gun goes in truck.  Also check air in trailer spares
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I always clean my truck once a week, but will clean it again before going on a trip.  If I’m towing a trailer, jack, air compressor and ugga dugga gun goes in truck.  Also check air in trailer spares
View Quote

Good point. I know plenty of people who NEVER check the air in the spare, and then are shocked to find out it's low/out of air when they need it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 7:54:40 AM EDT
[#46]
I like to get naked and spike my hair up red, shove a feather duster up my ass then do the chicken dance around the car while masturbating furiously to appease the safe trip/driving gods.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 7:55:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I like to get naked and spike my hair up red, shove a feather duster up my ass then do the chicken dance around the car while masturbating furiously to appease the safe trip/driving gods.
View Quote

....to each their own I guess....
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#49]
I usually wind up getting increasingly flustered at the family dragging ass doing everything we need to do to get out the door at a decent early hour, being the only one lifting a finger to pack the car, and seeming like I'm the only one that wants to go at all so that by the time we start backing down the driveway, half the fam is mad at me and I have a headache already.  Oh, and then someone else has forgotten something and I go back home 60 seconds after leaving.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I usually wind up getting increasingly flustered at the family dragging ass doing everything we need to do to get out the door at a decent early hour, being the only one lifting a finger to pack the car, and seeming like I'm the only one that wants to go at all so that by the time we start backing down the driveway, half the fam is mad at me and I have a headache already.  Oh, and then someone else has forgotten something and I go back home 60 seconds after leaving.
View Quote

That's why I always park the camper in the driveway the next before.....and get it all loaded up. That way the next day we can all just hop in the truck, and go.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top