Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2022 2:44:17 PM EDT
Dropped by the nearest Home Depot to pick up some chlorine tablets.  Last summer, around here there was a shortage of pool chemicals.  I decided to pick some up before the summer rush and couldn’t believe how much the price of chlorine tabs went up.  I could’ve sworn that this time last year, a 35lb container was around $90.  This morning, that same 35lb container was $199.  Damn.  . I guess if you need it. . .  

I do the pool upkeep myself. . .  Some of my friends in the area are paying $130-$150/mo. for a pool guy to come out once a week. That’s crazy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
LoL, that’s the reason I got rid of my pool after last season. Joe Biden did this.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#3]
You're a 1-pool-center, pay thy fair share!  
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]
We are building a pool right now.  Everyone keeps telling me that chlorine is higher than hell right now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#5]
What would it cost to convert to saltwater?
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It was originally saltwater but I bypassed it a few years back.  I drained the pool and just refilled the pool with freshwater (didn’t add the salt).  It seems like the chlorine generators only last 5 or so years.  It was nice in the summer when I had it though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m framing a soffit in my basement. Wanted 2x4x12 #1’s but all they had was 2x4x10’s. They were $11.75 / each.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm framing a soffit in my basement. Wanted 2x4x12 #1's but all they had was 2x4x10's. They were $11.75 / each.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/167625/D5ED2F8D-037C-4353-BD6C-D4B472679F81_jpe-2255301.JPG
View Quote
No pity party for you pal.

Final house bid was in November.  Closing takes forever.  Last week it was bid again and the price had gone up $17,400, mostly because of lumber.  Lumber is on its way back down right now.  Hoping to close in two weeks and hoping to order lumber on the dip.  

I picked a shit time to build a house.

Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 125 lbs of tabs that I bought before prices got stupid.

Might have to neckbeard some of them when the weather gets nice.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
LoL, that’s the reason I got rid of my pool after last season. Joe Biden did this.
View Quote

You got rid of your pool bc you couldn’t afford an extra hundred bucks in chlorine a year?  It would cost me $10k to have mine removed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We are building a pool right now.  Everyone keeps telling me that chlorine is higher than hell right now.
View Quote

Sounds like you should spend your money doing something else.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep, regular Bleach too.   had me looking at buying Clorox stock.   Somebody has achieved monopoly pricing power.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#13]
We struggled though shortages last year and bought a saltwater system at the end of the season for a decent price. Hopefully we use very little chlorine this year.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got rid of? That sounds like above ground action...
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Use bleach
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Use bleach
View Quote
Have you priced bleach lately?
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I get mine from intheswim.com. Good price and big container.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#18]
You need one of these about 100x larger.

Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#19]
So you are saying that things are going up in price????

When did this start happening

Going back under my rock, brb
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its still only a about 3 bucks ish a gallon here
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I found Costco has/had good prices.  Until next time
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You can buy industrial UV systems for the low thousands.

Why not put one on a pool?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Doesn’t sanitize enough.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They will sanitize the effluent from a 15,000 gallon per day shit plant.  Tell me it won't sanitize a swimming pool!  Not to mention the shit plant is one-pass, the swimming pool is multi-pass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn’t sanitize enough.

They will sanitize the effluent from a 15,000 gallon per day shit plant.  Tell me it won't sanitize a swimming pool!  Not to mention the shit plant is one-pass, the swimming pool is multi-pass.

they make a special system for pools

My uncle has one...it's a UV/Ozone set up, kills every damn thing in the water and makes the water crystal clear...no chemicals to fuck with and it just works.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Dropped by the nearest Home Depot to pick up some chlorine tablets.  Last summer, around here there was a shortage of pool chemicals.  I decided to pick some up before the summer rush and couldn’t believe how much the price of chlorine tabs went up.  I could’ve sworn that this time last year, a 35lb container was around $90.  This morning, that same 35lb container was $199.  Damn.  . I guess if you need it. . .  

I do the pool upkeep myself. . .  Some of my friends in the area are paying $130-$150/mo. for a pool guy to come out once a week. That’s crazy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309803/1E9C6457-AFF8-4CA0-8555-606B47A962AA_jpe-2255272.JPG
View Quote

Don't ask me to bid route then. Ours is easily double that for weekly service. Granted, I'm likely the most expensive in the area, but you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

~$3,000 for SWG installed, including salt
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#28]
@CUJ0 Go to Amazon and grab the HTH 25lb bucket but not as it pops up initially. It pops up at $153 on Amazon from HTH directly but if you scroll down on the right it is only $95 from Amazon. Still too high, but about as good as I could find.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

In before Leeloo Dallas.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Last summer my local ollies had liquid chlorine on sale. I think I bought 40 or 50 gallons. Plus a ton of powdered chlorine as well. Is it as simple as the tabs? No. But it was available and cheap. I probably won't have to buy any for two years.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You can. Or ozone, ozone/uv, or hydroxyl-based AOP. They will reduce the demand for sanitizer, but won't completely eliminate it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My uncle has one...it's a UV/Ozone set up, kills every damn thing in the water and makes the water crystal clear...no chemicals to fuck with and it just works.
View Quote

I have one on my pool, they work but you still need chlorine (albeit) less.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Last summer my local ollies had liquid chlorine on sale. I think I bought 40 or 50 gallons. Plus a ton of powdered chlorine as well. Is it as simple as the tabs? No. But it was available and cheap. I probably won't have to buy any for two years.
View Quote

The liquid chlorine has already lost most of its strength.

Cal-hypo or trichlor is stable though
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Probably cost less than you'll spend in chemicals in a year or so.

Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
@CUJ0 Go to Amazon and grab the HTH 25lb bucket but not as it pops up initially. It pops up at $153 on Amazon from HTH directly but if you scroll down on the right it is only $95 from Amazon. Still too high, but about as good as I could find.
View Quote

Thank you, Sir. I ended up biting the bullet at HD with my 10% mil discount. I was just surprised that it had went up so much.

The 2x1 gallon box of liquid chlorine didn’t seem to go up as much. I picked some up at $9.75ish per box so not too bad.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

~$3,000 for SWG installed, including salt
View Quote

Thanks. Guess we’ll stick with chlorine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clorox ~10% active chlorine
Commercial Sodium hypochlorite 12.5%
Trichlor tabs ~50% chlorine/50% stabilizer (can become an issue if you only used stabilized chlorine for sanitation and shock, more so if you have no way to backwash)
Calhypo 58%
Calhypo 68%
Calhypo 78% (this actually comes from manufacturing a little over 80% to remain above claimed 78% for the entire shelf life)

Remember chlorine is a gas and not a solid granule or a liquid. So these numbers are mean even less chlorine once it hits the water and "converts". Bottom line: get the most potent, pure chlorine you can get and pair it with some additional, alternative sanitizer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
https://www.troublefreepool.com/wiki/index.php?title=UV_Systems

"In current practices, UV disinfection finds it's most efficient use in drinking water treatment. We have at least a few TFP members who work in the water treatment industry so they can certainly respond better.

However, in that context, UV disinfection systems are typically deployed inside surge-tanks that hold 10,000-15,000 gallons of water at a single time and the UV sources are allowed to operate for longer periods of time on those volumes. UV systems are also used in conjunction with Ozone & Peroxide treatment tanks (referred to as peroxone in the industry) to act as another layer of disinfection.

Once again, these are static volumes of water that are fully treated before entering a closed loop distribution system; this is a far cry from the way residential pools operate. "

In short, unlike drinking water, pool water is always and forever becoming nearly instantly recontaminated.

Due pool UV systems only working for a short time on a very small portion of the water, as it "passes by", they are ineffective as a sole source. For a UV system to effectively keep up, the entire volume of the pool would need to be treated at once, all the time.  

Chemical sanitation is used in pools because all of the water is always sanitized, at all times.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Probably cost less than you'll spend in chemicals in a year or so.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.ecwid.com/images/17318839/1262742336.jpg
View Quote

HA!

Don't get me wrong, we install a lot of saltwater chlorine generation systems, but we never claim to save the customer any money by doing so. That cell retails for close to a grand and that's only if you already have a pool controller to plug it into. Most heavy pool users in Texas will only use a few hundred in chems each year.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Shock the pool when we open, add salt, clean out leaves and vac....

Swim

Vac occasionally

Close pool at the end of the season.

Saltwater is the way to go

Tho now that I open my big mouth salt will go up (like everything else) lol

Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I found Costco has/had good prices.  Until next time
View Quote

When?

Yesterday I saw them for $189.99.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#42]
There was a thread a week or so ago about one of the chemical plants that makes chlorine tablets having a fire.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Breaking-huge-chemical-plant-fire-in-New-Jersey-/5-2522272/
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"only"... yea.  Used to be a buck not all that long ago.  I mean, maybe one iOS version ago.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have 125 lbs of tabs that I bought before prices got stupid.

Might have to neckbeard some of them when the weather gets nice.
View Quote

I still have a 7.5 gallon bucket I got just before it went up. About 50 or so pounds I’d guess.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#45]
I try to stick with the liquid and granulated stuff for the bulk of my chlorine additions.

The tablets have too much CYA in them and it builds up in the water over time, and will eventually put you in free chlorine lock.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#47]
What's really weird is that a couple of years ago a lot of the chlorine tablets and bags of powder ended up getting put on super low clearance prices. I ended up with half a dozen sealed 5gal buckets with 1 pound 73% calcium hypochlorite bags in them. I doubt I'll ever have to buy bleach again.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What's really weird is that a couple of years ago a lot of the chlorine tablets and bags of powder ended up getting put on super low clearance prices. I ended up with half a dozen sealed 5gal buckets with 1 pound 73% calcium hypochlorite bags in them. I doubt I'll ever have to buy bleach again.
View Quote
The pucks will break down over time no matter what.  My parents bought a house that came with a pool and a bunch of pool supplies.  I dunno how old they were but all the sealed pucks I opened had turned to chalk.

I don't know if this means that they had become useless or not, but I ended up tossing them in the trash and just starting them off with known good chlorine.

I hate the pucks anyway because they nearly all have CYA in them.  Which, the only way to get out of the water is water changes of the pool.  If you use pucks forever and don't change enough water, you will eventually end with a green swamp because the CYA level will demand more chlorine than is reasonably possible.  This is among the top few reasons people eventully give up and call a "pool guy" to come fix their unusable swamp.  Then the pool guy finds the CYA through the roof from years of pucks.

Link Posted: 1/26/2022 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There was a thread a week or so ago about one of the chemical plants that makes chlorine tablets having a fire.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Breaking-huge-chemical-plant-fire-in-New-Jersey-/5-2522272/
View Quote

Wasn't there a fire at another before that in late 2020 or winter of 2021? New orleans or a plant in the south somewhere?
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmmmm....I'll have to ask him, because I remember him saying what he bought was super expensive because he absoloutely didn't want to have to dick with the chlorine ever
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top