Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/19/2021 11:23:56 AM EDT
I had some kids fresh back from basic training and was doing some PMI. I was surprised that a few of them were still being taught (yelled at) that having your magazine resting on the ground is unacceptable and will induce malfunctions. TC 3-22.9 clearly states the exact opposite of this:

I also made a social media post about actually reading the material the Army puts out. I recieved a reply from a gentleman on the periphery of DEVGRU who informed me that if my mag is on the ground in the prone my firing position sucks. He didn't elaborate further so that brings me here. Can someone fill me on why having the mag on the ground in the prone makes for a shitty prone unsupported firing position?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Aren't Magpul Ranger Plates designed to be used in that manner.?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#2]
This is GD. Nobody shoots or owns guns here.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#3]
What scenario exists that I can shoot prone unsupported but I cannot shoot prone supported?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#4]
The military still teaches how to shoot a rifle?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I disagree that using the magazine as a support won't cause malfunctions.

I won't do it and I will advise anyone who asks against it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#6]
We teach our people that it's fine to ground the mag and that the idea it'll cause malfunctions is outdated bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#7]
When I was still working I was fortunate enough to get to train with some top instructors in the industry, folks with multiple deployments and numerous engagements.  Mag in the dirt, utilized as a monopod, was taught.  Guns ran and hits were made.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What scenario exists that I can shoot prone unsupported but I cannot shoot prone supported?
View Quote

Are you trolling?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#9]
<——-civilian for life but I was taught by my Father and every other class/training I’ve taken NOT to use the magazine as a monopod.

Iirc- Appleseed teaches that using the mag as a support just creates another point of contact that can throw off a shot.

However, like one Instructor told me, at the end of the day putting rounds on target is what counts, do what works for you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#10]
It depends how the tolerances stack up.

I have some uppers that will not function if you monopod the mag with pmags. In that case applying pressure to the mag will cause the feed lips to drag on the bolt.

Also my 6.5 Grendel seems pretty picky, anything touching the mags and it won't run. Elander Grendel mags.

However in most guns it doesn't seem to be a problem. I was taught in basic training to monopod the mag.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's 1775 and you're using a smoothbore musket to take a redcoat officer from 300 yards. Your elbows and sling are the only support you have. Same rules at Appleseed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
TC 3-22.9 clearly states the exact opposite of this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188236/Screenshot_20211218-190411_Adobe_Acrobat-2209336.jpg

Can someone fill me on why having the mag on the ground in the prone makes for a shitty prone unsupported firing position?
View Quote
Read the f@rking manual?  

Reading is fo suckas.

Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

"Save your 300 Meter rounds for the re-do, Trainee."
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Wouldn't resting the mag on the ground make it supported?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Talk about being surprised by the subject matter.

Thought this was going to be about something else altogether.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

When there is nothing around for support?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Prob need more context to decide what’s right and wrong.  
The answer to these questions may be different from someone else and lead to a different conclusion

How big is your target and how fast do you need to shoot it?
Is your rifle is working properly and in spec? If so resting the mag on the ground won’t affect function.  

Are you Slimmer people or more Barrel Chested?

Are you wearing plates and have a bunch of mag pouches on your chest?

Are you laying in water or mud?

Appleseed is great but their affinity for 1907 era technology may be clouding their judgement.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:05:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had some kids fresh back from basic training and was doing some PMI. I was surprised that a few of them were still being taught (yelled at) that having your magazine resting on the ground is unacceptable and will induce malfunctions. TC 3-22.9 clearly states the exact opposite of this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188236/Screenshot_20211218-190411_Adobe_Acrobat-2209336.jpg

I also made a social media post about actually reading the material the Army puts out. I recieved a reply from a gentleman on the periphery of DEVGRU who informed me that if my mag is on the ground in the prone my firing position sucks. He didn't elaborate further so that brings me here. Can someone fill me on why having the mag on the ground in the prone makes for a shitty prone unsupported firing position?
View Quote

It's an interesting question.  My opinion is that depending on the body geometry of the shooter and his gear, you might get better results from a traditional prone position with the elbow directly under the rifle. I don't think using the magazine induces jams.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I’ve seen both…no issues either way.

Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't drag your shit through the dirt.

If you can't hold it still take a Xaney.

Yer welcomes,...
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I am *not* against using the mag as a support but I'd prefer to use my sling as the support because a) I know how to use it properly (thanks Appleseed!), b) I prefer 20-rd mags when I am prone anyway, because c) I don't want the mag of my rifle to be a leverage/hinge point.

Not at all surprised that a military branch has guidelines that are not uniformly followed.  Maybe all the brainpower is being dedicated to SHARP and tranny-sensitivity training.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's 1775 and you're using a smoothbore musket to take a redcoat officer from 300 yards. Your elbows and sling are the only support you have. Same rules at Appleseed.
View Quote

Oops.  A smoothbore musket wasn't accurate past 70 or 80 yds. for a torso hit, let alone at 300 yds.  

PS. There were some black powder weapons with rifled barrels in those days and they could take out targets at 3 to 4 times the accuracy limit of the smoothbores.  Learned that in Appleseed.

Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:23:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The military still teaches how to shoot a rifle?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#25]
LOL, speak for yourself and most or armchaircom

Quoted:
Aren't Magpul Ranger Plates designed to be used in that manner.?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Oops.  A smoothbore musket wasn't accurate past 70 or 80 yds. for a torso hit, let alone at 300 yds.  

PS. There were some black powder weapons with rifled barrels in those days and they could take out targets at 3 to 4 times the accuracy limit of the smoothbores.  Learned that in Appleseed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the weapon type wrong. The point remains the same.

ETA - the Kentucky rifle?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#27]
All the Delta and SF guys I’ve trained with said to absolutely use the magazine as a monopod If your position and kit allows it. If you have a shitty magazine get rid of it.

Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Mag on the ground is fine.  Shot that way before it was in the manual.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Even a hasty sling is better than nothing. The older I get the more support I need.

Having been involved in the shooting sports since the early 1980's using a 1907 style sling is second nature. Just because it's an old technique, does not diminish its applicability.

IMO trying to shoot any distance unsupported is a fool's errand. Canada adopted training to use the magazine as a monopod, while I have never considered it ideal, if people can use it to good purpose why not?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Army Rifle Qualification table VI is the scenario that exists.  I also teach during my PMIs to shootoff of the magazine, I also do not transition to the block or sandbag for a supported position after the first magazine exchange.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I disagree that using the magazine as a support won't cause malfunctions.

I won't do it and I will advise anyone who asks against it.
View Quote
If one's rifle malfunctions while shooting prone with the rifle resting on the magazine, and with a 100# bag on top of the rifle, get rid of the psa, rra, bushmaster, etc. crap rifle as well as stop shooting wolf and other crap ammo.

Rifles built to or better than the TDP spec do not allow the magazine to engage the bolt carrier in such a way to cause too much friction with the  magazine having pressure applied to the bottom.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Having been involved in the shooting sports since the early 1980's using a 1907 style sling is second nature. Just because it's an old technique, does not diminish its applicability.
View Quote

i got my distinguished rifleman badge and love the 1907 sling.  it's not it's age per se that diminishes it's applicability, but rather the fact that trench warfare isn't used much in modern conflicts.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#33]
My kid just fired at Ft Jackson last month. They ground the mag now with no problems.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Pennsylvania Rifle FTW.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I am *not* against using the mag as a support but I'd prefer to use my sling as the support because a) I know how to use it properly (thanks Appleseed!), b) I prefer 20-rd mags when I am prone anyway, because c) I don't want the mag of my rifle to be a leverage/hinge point.

Not at all surprised that a military branch has guidelines that are not uniformly followed.  Maybe all the brainpower is being dedicated to SHARP and tranny-sensitivity training.  
View Quote

How does a man's breasts or a female soldier's penis impact the prone unsupported position? These questions are not adequately addressed in the current FM.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also called the Pennsylvania rifle (probably not by Daniel Boone, though!), yeah.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

i got my distinguished rifleman badge and love the 1907 sling.  it's not it's age per se that diminishes it's applicability, but rather the fact that trench warfare isn't used much in modern conflicts.  

View Quote

Check your history bro.  Hainan Island Campaign, 2023. 1st MarDiv and 10th Mountain failed to breakout of their beachhead after being inserted on the coast in the Phase 2 of the South China Sea War.  After all the high-tech theater range missiles and autonomous drones had been expended, and the Chinese released Super Covid, greatly exacerbating supply chain issues, the fighting ground to a virtual halt and both sides dug in deep, prior to the Sino-Indian nuclear exchange anyway.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How does a man's breasts or a female soldier's penis impact the prone unsupported position? These questions are not adequately addressed in the current FM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure some leftist General hoping to impress Biden et al. is already figuring out a way to revise it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Yall dont put a harris bipod on all your rifles?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gross.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think that scenario exists but it will be because you want to get your rifle higher off the ground to shoot over an obstruction and you will probably have your forearm held awkwardly as high up as possible with your body in some weird contorted position.

I don't think getting in comfortable low prone and lifting the built in magazine/monopod a 1/2" off the ground for a purely administrative PRONE, UNSUPPORTED is going to come up much.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Sling all the things.  

It really depends on the person. I cannot get low enough in the prone to actually touch the mag to the ground. Too much of a strain on my neck. My 19 yo nephew on the other hand, is as flexible as a noodle and can probably do it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tower: "assume a good, prone unsupported position"

Me: [presses button] "snickt-clunk," [sets bipod grip with legs extended on the ground]
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Me: [presses button] "snickt-clunk," [sets bipod grip with legs extended on the ground]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of my ARs are really prairie dog guns so it actually makes sense
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I think that scenario exists but it will be because you want to get your rifle higher off the ground to shoot over an obstruction and you will probably have your forearm held awkwardly as high up as possible with your body in some weird contorted position.

I don't think getting in comfortable low prone and lifting the built in magazine/monopod a 1/2" off the ground for a purely administrative PRONE, UNSUPPORTED is going to come up much.
View Quote

Being a big fat person impedes magazine-monopod shooting.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't think it would be a significant source of malfunctions.  It will change POI, though.  I seem to recall it's fairly noticeable with AK pattern rifles.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#47]
SLING

Any sling, just it your elbow into it!

Don't install it on your arm as you would shooting a match, because you will also have to take it back off.

The Vickers-type sling is good because it is quick and easy to adjust (tighten/loosen).
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Bottom of the mag catch is squared and positively stops mag from protruding further into the gun.

Could tolerances stack up and cause malfunction? Yes.

Is that likely? No.

I have a rifle that will accept pmags if they are firmly pushed in. It will absolutely not latch on them if slammed in.

Weird shit happens. Use your stuff to figure it out before someone is shooting at you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Magazine on the ground for prone unsupported and sitting on your foot for kneeling are two things I used to preach hard. Both are reg, both make you better.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#50]
The Army's marksmanship manuals have always been a near-desperate attempt to address and correct misinformation, bad advice, and outright bad training practices that get passed on from person to person.

The only time I have seen success overcoming this is with competitive programs that offer select Soldiers opportunities for more advanced training and experiences or formal training programs actually run by competent groups like the AMU. But, all of this is working against institutional inertia.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top