Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/11/2017 7:37:50 PM EDT
Is there any way to own property indefinitely i.e. without paying property taxes? As far as I know, if I buy a chunk a property today with cash, I have to pay taxes on it or the government will seize it/sell it. How can I buy land that I can actually *own* without any further costs?

I was thinking about this as a place to go in case of job loss/going broke for whatever reason, etc. It doesn't work if I still have to pay a large sum of money every year.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Go be poor somewhere else!
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Not that I know of. Some places have been trying to get rid of them for older (65+) landowners
but as far as I know your stinking county or state thinks they own what you bought.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Most rural land in the South has very low taxes.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#4]
The only way I know of doing it is to put a chunk of money in a escrow account and pay an accountant or lawyer to pay the taxes with it.
People do it if they need to travel for a long time or something like that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy in another country.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a few States that don't have property taxes I just can't remember which ones at the moment
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I seem to recall a couple places in either Georgia or South Carolina that we’re tax free. The catch was you had to inherit it and once you sold it, it would be taxable from there on out. So to answer your question, yes but if you could get it you would already know about it, so no tax free for you.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#8]
set up a nonprofit
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Ag land around here is cheap taxes from my limited knowledge
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Property tax shouldn't exist. It should at most be a one time tax paid upon purchase. That's it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy in another country.
View Quote
Which ones don't have property tax?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ag land around here is cheap taxes from my limited knowledge
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#15]
https://www.thebalance.com/best-and-worst-states-for-property-taxes-3193328

Best
1. Hawaii - 0.28 percent
2. Alabama - 0.43 percent
3. Louisiana - 0.51 percent
4. Delaware - 0.55 percent
5. District of Columbia - 0.57 percent

Worst
1. New Jersey - 2.38 percent
2. Illinois - 2.32 percent
3. New Hampshire - 2.15 percent
4. Connecticut - 1.98 percent
5. Wisconsin - 1.96 percent
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The only way I know of doing it is to put a chunk of money in a escrow account and pay an accountant or lawyer to pay the taxes with it.
People do it if they need to travel for a long time or something like that.
View Quote
Reread the question.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Which ones don't have property tax?
View Quote
here's a start
http://nomadcapitalist.com/2014/05/27/countries-with-no-property-taxes-really-home/
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Buy in another country.
View Quote
This, i dont think there is a place in America where you can actually own land, car, boat, rv, etc.  You will always pay the .gov rent for big ticket items.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Be a church
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#20]
If you are not in one of the 13 colony's update your land patent. Some claim it can be use to stop paying property taxes because the state has no claim to land they never owned. I don't know how it works for taxes but Summa Corp. was able to stop the state of CA. form taking tide water land from them using the land patent and land grant they had showing that CA never owed the land they wanted to take.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Buy a cemetery plot.

Red
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#22]
You could always buy a few acres on the moon from that guy's website.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Be a church
View Quote
Worked out well for the Branch Davidians.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Be a church
He asked how to own property and not pay taxes on it, not how to avoid being the main course at the next ATF BBQ
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#25]
They cry about schools and roads when they want to raise taxes here. We don't have any school kids and the roads are crappy and wont get fixed if even patched........so tell me again why we pay land taxes?

The fuckers have even started to tax the little outbuildings and metal carports.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Same here.
View Quote
Not as easy as he claims with one chicken and one calf. That won't cut it. Plus it has to be used for agricultural purposes for several years before it qualifies. Not as easy that that one says it is.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Turn it over to the government   they never paid a dime on land that they have taken
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Germany is cheap, costs me $38 an acre
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Be a church
View Quote
That works most places, if the taxing authority doesn't contest the denomination.

There's also some states which have an exemption for 'classified wildlife area' acreage. Last I dealt with it the land had to be fenced and planted in wildlife food plots and timber...but it was closed to all hunting or timber harvest. I ran into that a lot buying coal rights in southern Indiana.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They cry about schools and roads when they want to raise taxes here. We don't have any school kids and the roads are crappy and wont get fixed if even patched........so tell me again why we pay land taxes?

The fuckers have even started to tax the little outbuildings and metal carports.
View Quote
They tax us here for rain falling on our yards, 25 a year, watershed.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Sailboat or house boat
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry but the OP's join date should be changed to 2013 as this is a real deal 13er post.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Not as easy as he claims with one chicken and one calf. That won't cut it. Plus it has to be used for agricultural purposes for several years before it qualifies. Not as easy that that one says it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.
The guy I quoted didn't say any of that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sailboat or house boat
View Quote
Finding a marina these days that allow 'live aboards' is pretty tough. Expensive as hell too.

If you can deal with living at anchorage and not having shore power, shore water, etc., it may be OK...but I don't want to have to haul my groceries in a dinghy in the rain.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's crazy high.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you are not in one of the 13 colony's update your land patent. Some claim it can be use to stop paying property taxes because the state has no claim to land they never owned. I don't know how it works for taxes but Summa Corp. was able to stop the state of CA. form taking tide water land from them using the land patent and land grant they had showing that CA never owed the land they wanted to take.
View Quote
No, just no.

Please stop believing the sovereign citizen nonsense.

Update your land patent.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#37]
15 acres in Bladen County is just over $200 a year.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#38]
If you can’t move it, you really don’t own it.

All real property is rented from the government.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That works most places, if the taxing authority doesn't contest the denomination.

There's also some states which have an exemption for 'classified wildlife area' acreage. Last I dealt with it the land had to be fenced and planted in wildlife food plots and timber...but it was closed to all hunting or timber harvest. I ran into that a lot buying coal rights in southern Indiana.  
View Quote
The real dream is to be like that SOB on the east side of 137 just north of Stanton and make more money from your land than the taxes are. He's CRP with wind turbines and pumpjacks.

I should have married the widow of a west texas rancher instead of the granddaughter of a coastal real estate developer.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Start your own Indian tribe and the gobberment pays you.

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No, just no.

Update your land patent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, just no.

Update your land patent.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The real dream is to be like that SOB on the east side of 137 just north of Stanton and make more money from your land than the taxes are. He's CRP with wind turbines and pumpjacks.

I should have married the widow of a west texas rancher instead of the granddaughter of a coastal real estate developer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kevin is that you?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Be a church
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
@fettesbrotde

seriously

where ?

das muss ich wissen bitte
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I have 10 acres in bum fuck Nevada. Taxes are like 22 bucks a year...
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
No, just no.

Update your land patent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, just no.

Update your land patent.
Its not sovereign citizen nonsense it case law from the US Supreme Court go look up Summa Corp vs. Ca. and read what the Supreme court had to say.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL...I know exactly the land to which you refer. I was working on a title project right down 137 a mile or so when a guy I know called me about a gig in Lafayette.

Actually, I was in Stanton last Tuesday. Had a Doctors appointment there. My Doc is married to a landman and she's really good...and smokin' too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
15 acres in Bladen County is just over $200 a year.
View Quote
28 acres in Surry County enrolled in the CRP runs about $30 a year.  I does involve about 2 minutes of paper work every year.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#49]
There is a saying about that......Oh yeah, If you think you own your land, stop paying the property taxes, and see who really owns it!
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Be a church
View Quote
This, or some other tax-exempt entity.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top