Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 12:56:28 AM EDT
[#1]
As the other post mentioned, this is allodial title. And as the above post mentions, NV offered it relatively recently, but stopped issuing allodial titles as of June 13, 2005.

NRS 361-900 on allodial title.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 1:20:16 AM EDT
[#2]
The Borough that we live in here in Alaska, does have property tax, but being over 65, the first $210,000 of property value is not taxed!  There for, we pay no property taxes.  To top that off, if your vehicle is over 9 years old, it could be exempt from taxes as well.  While those that live off the grid, may have some challenges, they can be over came.  While we are not off the grid, we do grow our own veggies.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 2:03:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Borough that we live in here in Alaska, does have property tax, but being over 65, the first $210,000 of property value is not taxed!  There for, we pay no property taxes.  To top that off, if your vehicle is over 9 years old, it could be exempt from taxes as well.  While those that live off the grid, may have some challenges, they can be over came.  While we are not off the grid, we do grow our own veggies.
View Quote
How does that work out? Hobby or food source?
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 2:10:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Your masters say no.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 2:13:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Be a permanently and totally disabled veteran in my AO.  They are exempt from property tax on their homes.  If you see a disabled veteran license plate, they are exempt.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 2:44:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Property tax shouldn't exist. It should at most be a one time tax paid upon purchase. That's it.
View Quote
But if it was like that, people would hog land, even if they never use it.

Pretty sure that is why.

Which is kinda good. Drives people out of land they don't plan to use it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 5:44:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
He asked how to own property and not pay taxes on it, not how to avoid being the main course at the next ATF BBQ
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Be a church
Worked out well for the Branch Davidians.
He asked how to own property and not pay taxes on it, not how to avoid being the main course at the next ATF BBQ
Fair point.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Seems like you should be able to find some land where the money that the government pays you not to grow crops more than offsets the amount that the government charges you to own the land.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 5:55:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Most rural land in the South has very low taxes.
View Quote
To match the salaries of those areas.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 5:58:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Property tax shouldn't exist. It should at most be a one time tax paid upon purchase. That's it.
View Quote
I absolutely agree.

Folks.....    The Revolution was a mistake....   We had it better off under the fucking king.

You have the illusion of property ownership....  Nothing more.

How can you claim ownership to something that can be taken from you at anytime should your finical circumstances change for the worse?
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not a bad idea but from what I've seen on TV it's hard to live off the land there with the harsh winters and short growing season.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

•Alaska is the largest of the United States; however, for all its vastness only a small portion of the land mass is subject to a property tax.
•There are approximately 321 communities in Alaska, many of which still remain unincorporated.
•There are 164 incorporated municipalities (local governments), 19 of which are incorporated into boroughs (boroughs are a rough equivalent to counties) and the remainder are incorporated as cities.
•Of the 19 boroughs in Alaska, only 15 levy a property tax.
•Only 9 cities located outside of boroughs levy a property tax; therefore, only 24 municipalities in Alaska (either cities or boroughs) levy a property tax.
Not a bad idea but from what I've seen on TV it's hard to live off the land there with the harsh winters and short growing season.
I've owned just over an acre of oceanfront property in SE Alaska for nearly a decade. Not taxed one dime. Don't believe everything you see on TV...
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Pretty sure that is why.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure that is why.

How many guns do you have that you have not shot in the last month? Should you be forced to sell them, since you aren't using them?

This is as bad as the coworker that keeps trying to convince me to take half my land and build apartments on it. It's not his land, and he has never even seen it, but he feels compelled to repeatedly explain to me how I would be so much better off if I would build those apartments and have all that income from the rent. Doesn't matter that it's not zoned for it. Doesn't matter that a planned development closer to town got shot down by a group of neighbors that got together and protested at the vote for the zoning change, pointing out that the zoning change violated an existing plan that the local government had for developments in the area. Doesn't matter that getting the permits would require a fortune to be spent on improving access to the land. Doesn't matter that my rifle range is on the side of the property that he wants me to develop...

All that matters, to him, is what he thinks I should be doing with my land.

If you think somebody isn't doing anything with some land, and you don't like it, take your money and make them an offer for the land. Saying that the government should drive them out of the land, because they don't plan to use it, is pure communism.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Plant pine trees.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I seem to recall a couple places in either Georgia or South Carolina that we’re tax free. The catch was you had to inherit it and once you sold it, it would be taxable from there on out. So to answer your question, yes but if you could get it you would already know about it, so no tax free for you.
View Quote
King's Grant.  Essentially any grant of land prior to the existence of US that has been passed through a family to the eldest male of each generation.  Some have even stricter stipulations such as the cultivation of certain crops on the land such as rice or cotton.  Pretty much very few exist.  The state of GA has a special council for the review of such claims.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for starting this thread, OP.

Yearly property taxes are rent from the Government...in my case, I subcontract the property that I'm renting from Government to the folks who rent from me.

It's tough when a huge chunk of your yearly profit goes to taxes and the rest goes to surprise maintenance on the property itself. Money that you could be saving for those improvements/maintenances goes to the County so that it can pay it's agents to give you hell/fines, work incompetently/negligently and educate children about the dangers of white privilege. Meanwhile, property that has been multi-generationally "owned" becomes too expensive and difficult for the person to keep. Soon I'll be having to let go of my great-great grandparents' house, one of the first houses built in that County for pretty much that reason. It's either that or the County will kick in the door and take it from me so that it can be sold at auction to some third world immigrant motherfucker with dreams of building a slumpire and importing more of his non-english speaking relatives to slowly repopulate the town.

I've pretty much decided that the next property I invest in for legacy purposes and to hand down to my kid will be as close to tax exempt as fucking possible. Either by modifying the circumstances of the property to legally render it that way or buying property within a location where taxes are less than a paycheck. Fuck the clowns who voted for ridiculous taxes and empowered petty tyrants to fleece citizens- it's a joke to call anything of theirs "your" property. Seriously.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#16]
We own a 60 acre hunting property with a well, enclosed carport, shed, and a trailer from the 1970s.

It’s on PAs “clean and green” program as forest reserve. I think are total taxes this year were a little over $300 and liability insurance is like a $25 rider on our home policy. About as tax free as I can come up with.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Pretty sure that is why.

View Quote
Who cares if they don't want to use? Tell me why they should use it. I don't see owning anything and not using it as a problem.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Research the terms allodial and fee simple.  I was interested in this once upon a time, and I think I recall reading that Nevada allowed land to be held in allodial, provided expected taxes were paid up front.

I moved to an area with low property taxes.  For $1700 a year I think I get a bargain.  A good portion is used for school for my four kids, the county plows my road a few times a day in the winter and redoes the chip and tar every 5 or so, low crime rate so not much need for sheriff services, volunteer FD but I have insurance ...
If I had vacant land taxes would only be a couple hundred dollars a year.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#19]
OP, I think the cheapest way possible to live would be to buy some land with some sort of tax cuts like some of the other posters have mentions, put a house on wheels(mini house or something) to live in, solar power, a well, wood stove, etc.

Essentially like off grid living. You wouldn't have to pay property tax on the house on wheels and only have to pay tax on the bare land. Still don't really own anything tho just cheapest option
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Throw a "few" "cattle" in it and boom, cheap taxes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:47:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP, I think the cheapest way possible to live would be to buy some land with some sort of tax cuts like some of the other posters have mentions, put a house on wheels(mini house or something) to live in, solar power, a well, wood stove, etc.

Essentially like off grid living. You wouldn't have to pay property tax on the house on wheels and only have to pay tax on the bare land. Still don't really own anything tho just cheapest option
View Quote
The green subsidy idea is interesting. Motor home or mini house isn't bad either but would require maintenance.

Basically what I've learned in this thread is that there is no way to *truly* own property in the US with very, very few exceptions (maybe only 1, areas in Alaska?). Without the ability to own property it would seem we can't really own anything. Even a motor home requires taxes paid if you don't have property to park it on and have to travel public roads.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:49:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We own a 60 acre hunting property with a well, enclosed carport, shed, and a trailer from the 1970s.

It’s on PAs “clean and green” program as forest reserve. I think are total taxes this year were a little over $300 and liability insurance is like a $25 rider on our home policy. About as tax free as I can come up with.
View Quote
That is as close to free as I think you can get without being free

Are there limitations on living on the property?
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:07:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Antarctica does not have property tax.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:12:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Seems like you should be able to find some land where the money that the government pays you not to grow crops more than offsets the amount that the government charges you to own the land.
View Quote
We had 1500 Acres at one point, mostly in Colorado, and we had  it in the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP). The taxes were about a dollar an acre and the government paid us about $20 an acre. The only problem is that it is only for a 10 year contract at a time. And it some point they might not renew it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:56:23 AM EDT
[#25]
There are no property taxes in a very rural parts of Alaska, but the cities have some of the highest property taxes in the country.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 3:33:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:There's also some states which have an exemption for 'classified wildlife area' acreage. Last I dealt with it the land had to be fenced and planted in wildlife food plots and timber...but it was closed to all hunting or timber harvest. I ran into that a lot buying coal rights in southern Indiana.  
View Quote
Waaaaay easier and less restrictive than that in Texas.

Wildlife Management Tax Exemption

We're in year 8 of claiming it on our family place in the Hill Country. We've primarily satisfied the requirements through brush piles, birdhouses & feeders, and a pasture full of sunflower - no joke. The hog fencing and native grass restoration effort qualify, but were not required  and were added after the exemption was granted - the former was undertaken as a necessity to save the sprinkler system and its well, the latter is my Dad's post-retirement pet project.

We receive the same tax break an ag exemption would provide, and there was no "waiting period", other than the time it took to get everything approved. We hunt and fish on it extensively. We have added and renovated buildings freely. It is not, however, a "primary residence", and it did have an existing ag exemption.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 3:54:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This, i dont think there is a place in America where you can actually own land, car, boat, rv, etc.  You will always pay the .gov rent for big ticket items.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy in another country.
This, i dont think there is a place in America where you can actually own land, car, boat, rv, etc.  You will always pay the .gov rent for big ticket items.
You should get out more.  There are lots of states that don't charge property tax on cars, boats, RVs, etc.  Sales tax and registration, but not property tax every year.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That is as close to free as I think you can get without being free

Are there limitations on living on the property?
View Quote
If you build a building on it, it is taxed at the standard rate.  Your assement for the land remains next to nothing, but you pay for the building.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This, or some other tax-exempt entity.
View Quote
The NFL?
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Isn't moorage extremely expensive. Boats also require a huge amount of money for maintenance.
View Quote
If you learn the game there are plenty of spots to anchor and get all that you need, and there are more people doing this every year. Now on the vessel -if it's a pos when you get it-it will be a piece of shit when you sell it or sink it on accident.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yet some states tax non-producing minerals.
View Quote
Some Florida properties around phosphate mines own the land, but not the mineral rights.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Is there any way to own property indefinitely i.e. without paying property taxes? As far as I know, if I buy a chunk a property today with cash, I have to pay taxes on it or the government will seize it/sell it. How can I buy land that I can actually *own* without any further costs?

I was thinking about this as a place to go in case of job loss/going broke for whatever reason, etc. It doesn't work if I still have to pay a large sum of money every year.
View Quote
Has anyone ever been taxed for having their own underground secret base yet?  Preferably near a volcano with Midget friends and family.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Start your own Indian tribe and the gobberment pays you.

View Quote
Dress like the fake Natives in early Hollywood films.

In the Spirit of Lazy Horse!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Pretty sure that is why.

View Quote
You mean just like on the state and federal lands already gated and locked out now?
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The green subsidy idea is interesting. Motor home or mini house isn't bad either but would require maintenance.

Basically what I've learned in this thread is that there is no way to *truly* own property in the US with very, very few exceptions (maybe only 1, areas in Alaska?). Without the ability to own property it would seem we can't really own anything. Even a motor home requires taxes paid if you don't have property to park it on and have to travel public roads.
View Quote
It's commonly called Timberland across the South.

Here in Louisiana, I routinely pay just $3.26 per acre.  I setup a yearly auto draft from my LLC to pay those taxes + an extra amount to cover any increases.

I strongly encourage you to research rural property taxes on land in the county you want to buy land.  You will soon discover that the rural camps don't pay much at all in taxes.

Finally, the "Goverment Seizure Of Land For Non-Payment Of Taxes" is actually an interesting loop hole that benefits you the citizen in the end.  Simply look up adjudicated property or tax liens in the county you want to buy and they will be more than willing to arrange for you to buy their seized property!  I have done this myself and now have several acres of prime Louisiana forestland that comes with its own herd of wild hogs for me to target practice and BBQ.

P.S. PM me with the counties you want to buy in and I'll dig up more details about adjudicated property that might be available.  My motivation is to bring the land back to us the people.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Has anyone ever been taxed for having their own underground secret base yet?  Preferably near a volcano with Midget friends and family.
View Quote
Around 25 years ago, a guy told me about a 'house' that a friend of his had in the Rutherford county area of TN.  Looks like a modest, 2 bedroom - 1 bath house on a single level.  Walk in, and it looks like a normal house, but with not much in it (like a renter just starting out and hasn't built up a lot of stuff).  Open the door to go down to the basement, and the basement goes down 3 levels, with each level completely finished as living space.

Supposedly, the guy managed to get it built without the county noticing how extensive the basement was, so he only gets taxed as if it was a small, 2 bedroom - 1 bath house with a normal, unfinished basement.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#37]
we converted about 7 of our acres into 'agriculture' usage..

tax bill dropped from $400/yr to $5/yr

brian
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Some Florida properties around phosphate mines own the land, but not the mineral rights.
View Quote
I'd guess the phosphate mining company bought the minerals sometime in the past. In most states the surface estate and the mineral estate are separate and one can be severed, entirely or in part, without affecting title to the other.

If I owned a 100 acres which had full mineral title when I bought it, I could sell all of or part of the minerals while retaining the unsold balance of the minerals and the entirety of the surface...and vice versa.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top