BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You do realize that you can remove the cap, right?   It's not the cap that makes it more capable, it's having the option of using the cap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't grasp how have a cap makes a truck more capable.  It makes the bed harder to load, it limits what you can load & how you can load it.  There's literally no positives to having a cap that I can think of.  If something needs to stay out of the weather, I have a quad cab for that.  If I need more room for storage, I will use the wife's Jeep.  It has good storage that is "more" secure than a cap.

You do realize that you can remove the cap, right?   It's not the cap that makes it more capable, it's having the option of using the cap.

This man gets it.  Some of you folks are acting like the things are welded on!  Removing the cap on a truck is a 5 minute job that any man should be able to do on their own.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Get one of these

I like my FWC "truck cap"

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

In betore "that truck looks like a 20 year old and an 80 year old couldn't agree on which vehicle to buy together."    
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I can't grasp how have a cap makes a truck more capable.  It makes the bed harder to load, it limits what you can load & how you can load it.  There's literally no positives to having a cap that I can think of.  If something needs to stay out of the weather, I have a quad cab for that.  If I need more room for storage, I will use the wife's Jeep.  It has good storage that is "more" secure than a cap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well a cap just about takes away alot of the utility of a truck there buddy.  How do you haul your trailer with a cap?  Bumper pull everything?

So your argument is thus:

Bed weight rating of F350:  3060lb

Towing weight rating:  12500lb (with conventional hitch, not gooseneck)

In other words, you are saying that by using a trailer....I can actually haul more weight by putting my lighter stuff in the bed and the heavier stuff on a trailer.

And that somehow reduces utility?  Unless the conventional hitch tow rating is somehow less than the bed weight rating....which it's not.......using a cap and having a utility trailer actually makes my truck MORE capable.  Hmmm.......

http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/towing/

1.  Apparently you drive an F350?  I can't help much if you're already making bad decisions.
2. You seem to be under the assumption that the only benefit of a gooseneck over a bumper pull is weight, which is also wrong.

1)  No, I don't drive a F350.  I just used it because it's a common truck used to tow.  Most all trucks in the same class these days have *relatively* similar tow ratings.
2)  I understand the benefits of a gooseneck.  I also understand that there are drawbacks.....like sucking up your truck bed.  

The fact that a gooseneck might do some things better does not negate my point, nor does it mean that it's the best option in all cases.

Dudes about 90% right, but my rear seat is taken up with car seats on trips, so I toss in 3 wheeled load out bags strollers and untold other baby stuff that momma hauls on vacations.  Also the old dogs like riding in the truck, they just can't take the cold any more.

I take off the cap with the tractor bucket and haul a skid steer when needed to my father in laws place.

It may not work for all but it works for us, mostly.

It really doesn't matter either way cause my truck out bros all you bitches
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This my 1st cap on a truck and i love it!!

I keep a tote w tools, gear, etc.  
no more gun cases up front...

<a href="http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/ducatiman1098s/media/IMG_08021_zpsury2vt51.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p500/ducatiman1098s/IMG_08021_zpsury2vt51.jpg</a>
View Quote

Awesome looking truck. I'm gellin....
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...  Removing the cap on a truck is a 5 minute job that any man should be able to do on their own.
View Quote

Hahaha, you must have a very short bed.

I bought a camper shell for my truck shortly after getting my driver's license back in early 2000.
96 F150 regular cab long bed.  I bet that shell weighed over 300 pounds.

It did ride a lot better with the shell.
Gas mileage, shitttt, 12 or 13.  It mighta helped.

My brother's probably weighs half as much.

Trucks these days are tall.  I'd rather drag the trailer around than crawling up into the bed of a truck...
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#7]
It makes you look like a middle aged man who wears light wash wrangler jeans and white reeboks to his UAW meetings.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This my 1st cap on a truck and i love it!!

I keep a tote w tools, gear, etc.  
no more gun cases up front...

<a href="http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/ducatiman1098s/media/IMG_08021_zpsury2vt51.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p500/ducatiman1098s/IMG_08021_zpsury2vt51.jpg</a>

Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It makes you look like a middle aged man who wears light wash wrangler jeans and white reeboks to his UAW meetings.
View Quote

2/4
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#10]

I dig your style Sir...

Mine and these wheels go on after the Cognito Lift

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:13:36 PM EDT
[#11]

That looks loooooong, but pretty damn cool.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#12]
If you don't mind drilling a few holes realigning the cap after removal is a breeze.

I prefer caps due to the light security (keep honest people honest), and protection from the elements, but can always easily remove the topper to carry higher items, or items that require easy access to the bed (firewood, etc).  A cap also allows you to easily carry ladders, pipe, canoe, kayak, etc.. if you have racks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:41:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I only have a 5ft bed that's used 87% of the time to haul the dog around. I love it. I don't have to worry about her when I go in stores, leave snowboards back there, and I can sleep in it, barely. The one time I hate it when I need to make a dump run. I gotta pull a trailer, borrow my dad's truck, or throw a tarp in mine and put the garbage on top. I have a bedrug in there so I can't simply spray it out real quick if it gets all nasty
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:12:16 AM EDT
[#14]
My last 5 F-150's have all had a cap/topper/camper shell. (whatever you want to call them)
I had bedrugs in them for the dags, and for hunting/fishing shit. Loved them all....

However, I have a new 2015 and I'm conflicted on whether or not to get another for the new truck, or if
I want to go with a hard tonneau cover.

I'll most likely get another cap/shell, but as mentioned, they are pricey as fuck.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:37:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Holy shit, this thread is funny.

Didn't realize that not only did you need a truck to be a man, but you had to also keep the bed open. You never know what you have to do an emergency refrigerator haul.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 2:09:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
More dry storage that you don't have to care about getting blood, dirt, whatever on=pro.

Not being able to fit snowmobiles, dirt bikes, atvs, etc= con.

I've had a cap on my truck for 4 years, and had it with just a tool box for 4 years. Sometimes I am agitated when I can't fit a certain something in the back, but it is pretty rare. If it doesn't fit, I have a trailer to use, or a work van. For hunting, a pickup with a cap has no peer.
View Quote

This basically^^  

I have one truck with a topper the others are open,  I can't work out of a truck with one.  It gets in the way, Anything you put in the bed goes 8 plus feet out of reach instantly.  So for me work truck=no,   errand/ around town shopping/ camping /general light use truck=yes
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
That looks loooooong, but pretty damn cool.
View All Quotes
Thanks, pretty sure it's 20' tip to tail.

I've been considering one of these to get the most out of my box.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Didn't realize that not only did you need a truck to be a man, but you had to also keep the bed open. You never know what you have to do an emergency refrigerator haul.
View Quote
It is weird that people assign their masculinity to the vehicle they drive. I've never really been able to understand it. I'm surprised mulch hasn't come up more often. That's usually A #1 in pickup truck threads.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It is weird that people assign their masculinity to the vehicle they drive. I've never really been able to understand it. I'm surprised mulch hasn't come up more often. That's usually A #1 in pickup truck threads.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've developed an intense appreciation for marketing psychology over these years on arfcom.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Con -  You've made it difficult to access the bed of your truck, place things in and manage things in it.  

Pro -  You've increased your lockable dry stowage space 5 to 10 fold.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Has anyone mentioned the potential for recreational activities with a cozy truck cap? How about the ARFcom guy that found out his teen-age son had set up the family F150 as a mobile bedroom, complete with mattress, heat and sound system? I know an older guy who re-lived some of those good times at a boat launch parking lot with his mini-pickup, some moving quilts, a sleeping bag and a hot girl.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#22]
4 pages, and no mention of the Chevy Avalanche.  I picked up a used one last year, after having my YJ creamed by a drunk driver.  Best of both worlds, so far.  Dry, reasonably secure storage storage, albeit less than a shell, with the ability to transform into an open bed in less than a minute.  I have a shell on my work Tacoma, and it's great for that.  The Av, a Suburban truck.  Not terribly popular and seems most folks do not understand their capability.

Craig
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Pro:  Large amount of secured, dry storage separated from the cab.  Great for chemicals or other stuff you don't want to be exposed to while hauling.

Cons:  Limits size of items hauled; heavy and hard to remove (fiberglass) or lightweight and ugly (aluminum); hard to get stuff in/out without crawling up in the bed unless you buy one with full length side windows/doors that can be opened.

If you have a regular need to haul stuff that needs to be dry, secure, and separate from passengers, get a good fiberglass top.  If you will only use it occasionally, or need to regularly remove it, get an aluminum top.  Either one, pick a model with full length doors/windows like this one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Keeps fuckers from throwing their trash in the back of your truck.

I used to get about a dozen empty cans per week. Then I bought a cap.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In betore "that truck looks like a 20 year old and an 80 year old couldn't agree on which vehicle to buy together."    
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Funny because the camper is actually newer than the truck. If you look at a Four Wheel Camper from the 70's they look very similar to my 2014.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
4 pages, and no mention of the Chevy Avalanche.  I picked up a used one last year, after having my YJ creamed by a drunk driver.  Best of both worlds, so far.  Dry, reasonably secure storage storage, albeit less than a shell, with the ability to transform into an open bed in less than a minute.  I have a shell on my work Tacoma, and it's great for that.  The Av, a Suburban truck.  Not terribly popular and seems most folks do not understand their capability.

Craig
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Has anyone mentioned the potential for recreational activities with a cozy truck cap? How about the ARFcom guy that found out his teen-age son had set up the family F150 as a mobile bedroom, complete with mattress, heat and sound system? I know an older guy who re-lived some of those good times at a boat launch parking lot with his mini-pickup, some moving quilts, a sleeping bag and a hot girl.
View Quote

I have a padded, carpeted sleeping/storage platform in the bed of my offroad/overland truck.

It works just fine for recreational activities.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top