Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Tithing was Old Covenant. Jesus only bound the 10 commandments to the New Covenant. While there is nothing wrong with dedicating 10% of you time, toil or treasure to your church, it is not a commandment from Jesus.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Nazareth was a commune, the home of the Nazarean Essenes who were very much not into material things.

There are many places in the NT that tell us to "have no thought for the morrow" and so on, as have been quoted by others, not to worry about where our food or shelter or clothes will come from,  and be neither a lender or borrower.

It's a miracle western civilization ever discovered capitalism, or maybe not and we have the Jews to thank, considering historical Christian attitudes towards usury.

Or maybe Y'all were right about that in the first place and that's why our civilization is on the brink now.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does God want us to be consumed with money - not only in its accumulation, but with constant worry over it? I'm not a Bible scholar, and its careful study is definitely on my list, but I'd love to hear from anyone that has closely studied the scriptures and may have thoughts on specific passages in this regard.

View Quote

God is not as concerned about money as most preachers. Tithing was an Old Testament way of making sure the priest and the poor got fed. Jesus never mentioned tithing in a good way. Nothing wrong with it, but the Government gets the first 10-50% which is an abomination.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Joel Osteen's Houston church had $600K inside wall from 2014 robbery, plumber claims

Texas plumber was stunned when he found nearly 500 envelopes full of cash inside Lakewood Church in Houston, where Joel Osteen is the pastor.

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Constant worry over anything shows a lack of trust in God.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:35:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My take is God wants us to use money wisely and for good. It is not to be worshipped.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does God want us to be consumed with money - not only in its accumulation, but with constant worry over it? I'm not a Bible scholar, and its careful study is definitely on my list, but I'd love to hear from anyone that has closely studied the scriptures and may have thoughts on specific passages in this regard.

My take is God wants us to use money wisely and for good. It is not to be worshipped.

This
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#7]
We are not to be consumed by money, but we are supposed to prosper, spirit, soul, and body. Lots of scriptures talking about the blessing of the Lord. One verse puts it simply, "The Blessing of the Lord brings wealth." Some Christians don't like to focus on it, as it is easy to become consumed with money. But God does not forbid it, but instead says that it is a sign of His blessing on his people.

Societies founded on Christian/Judea values, generally speaking are more prosperous then other cultures, look at Hindu or muslim cultures for example. Its pretty remarkable the global transformation from Western societies that embrace Christianity. God has blessed it. Notice how as our society becomes less Christian, life become more harder economically speaking. Try starting in America today, vs 1960s, way harder financially.

But the Bible also makes it clear to not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow has enough worries of its own. Don't sweat it, trust in God, he will provide for those who honor Him. I am not worried about the future because of this. There is a lot more to it, it is not a simple answer, there are some Christians who are poor, but a thread will not cover it on this forum. Having the peace of Christ is the greatest richness that a man can possess. I sometimes struggle with stress, but there is no greater feeling to be stress free.

Salvation is our greatest wealth no matter how much money or possessions you can acquire. I love God, and I can see His providing hand in my life. I have lacked no good thing, even though I am not financially rich, my family is happy and whole, my wife has gotten better in every way as she has aged. I can see his hand in my life and I wish everyone followed Him. His burden is light and He is kind and full of forgiveness and mercy.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Gods exist so that their self-appointed shamans can accumulate power and wealth.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes or else churches wouldn’t ask for it
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Joel Osteen's Houston church had $600K inside wall from 2014 robbery, plumber claims

Texas plumber was stunned when he found nearly 500 envelopes full of cash inside Lakewood Church in Houston, where Joel Osteen is the pastor.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#11]
would be crazy to be working there and find $200K in the walls.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Ecclesiastes 10:19 NIV
A feast is made for laughter, wine makes life merry, and money is the answer for everything.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top