Link Posted: 9/30/2008 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]
"You can never have too many books,
Too much Red Wine,
Or too much Ammunition"

Kipling
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Sir Winston Churchill
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
"Government is not reason. It is not eloquence. It is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

George Washington

That is good!
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#4]
"Go fuck a blender"

- PeteCO
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Never underestimate the power of denial

J. Clark
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#6]

"Everybody gets everything they want."
                               Cpt. Willard                      
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Our love could change the orbit of the earth.  So, if a meteor ever comes hurtling towards earth with the guarantee of destruction, top scientists may call on us to, well, you know, do it like crazy for the sake of humankind.  ~Author Unknown
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#8]
"If the women don't find ya handsome, they may atleast find you handy."

-Red Green
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#9]
“Actually, I object strongly to the expression 'taking the law into your own hands'. The law is ours and we made it for ourselves, to protect us and govern us, as a free people. Our freedom to defend ourselves against criminal violence is part of our general freedom to live our lives lawfully. We hire the police to help us enforce the law, not to tell us that we cannot do so.”  

Peter Hitchens
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Yippies, Hippies, Yahoos, Black Panthers, lions and tigers alike -- I would swap the whole damn zoo for the kind of young Americans I saw in Vietnam.

Spiro T. Agnew
1918-1996, American Vice President
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime: the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

-Rob't Heinlein
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Of every 100 men in battle, 10 should not even be here, 80 are mere targets 9 are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them; they the battle make.  But the one, the one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

-Hereclitus
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Self-Pity

I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
without ever having felt sorry for itself.

-D. H. Lawrence
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:04:33 PM EDT
[#14]
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Get busy living, or get busy dying. - Andy Dufresne Red

FAil
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FAil

ON you.

In both the movie and in the book, at the end of the second act, when Red and Dufresne are talking, Andy makes his decision that its about time he broke out.   And he repeats makes that statement to Red.   Later, Red adopts it as his own mantra too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#17]
"I love humanity. It's the people I can't stand."
Linus
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#18]
"We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing-grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender!"   -Sir Winston Churchill
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#19]

"The battle line between good and evil runs through the heart of every man"

Alexander Solzhenitsin
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#20]
A government big enough to give you everything you want is powerful enough to take everything you have
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:12:58 PM EDT
[#21]

When I was a young man I vowed never to marry until I found the ideal woman. Well, I found her but, alas, she was waiting for the ideal man.

Alain

Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Everyone is a genius at least once a year. The real geniuses simply have their bright ideas closer together.

Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FAil

ON you.

In both the movie and in the book, at the end of the second act, when Red and Dufresne are talking, Andy makes his decision that its about time he broke out.   And he repeats makes that statement to Red.   Later, Red adopts it as his own mantra too.

Soooo, we were both correct?
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#24]
A conquering army on the border will not be stopped by eloquence - Otto Von Bismarck

Upon this, one has to remark that men ought either to be well treated or crushed, because they can avenge themselves of lighter injuries, of more serious ones they cannot; therefore the injury that is to be done to a man ought to be of such a kind that one does not stand in fear of revenge. - Niccolo Machiavelli
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#25]
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#26]
"there are no wrong turnings, only paths you had not known you were meant to take."

guy gavriel kay
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#27]
"If you can touch 'em, there' real."
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Your as worthless as tits on a hog.
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#29]
height=8
Quoted:
"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's great civilizations has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through the following sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith, from spiritual faith to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependency, from dependency back to bondage." — Sir Alex Fraser Tyler (1742-1813)

Wow, great quote - very timely too.

So I don't get flamed for having under 1k posts and not posting a quote in a quote thread:

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." Ben Franklin

Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#30]
"Do not write when you can speak, do not speak when you can nod your head"

My father.
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Gold won't aways get you good soldiers, but good soldiers will aways get you gold.

unknown, but heard it today in a book by H. Beam Piper
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#32]
MEN handle things and BOYS get handled .
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Republicans believe every day is the fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15th

-Ronald Wilson Reagan-
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#34]
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

-Douglas Adams
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Life follows the golden rule, he who has the gold makes the rules.
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#36]
When all else fails, lower your expectations.

- Bob Stoltenberg
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#37]
"Somebody say something memorable, for this is where we make our stand."

Sgt. Major Jonas Blain
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#38]
My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes.

Ronald Reagan
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#39]
THERE ARE THREE KINDS OF PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD.
A. THOSE WHO MAKE THINGS HAPPEN
B. THOSE WHO WATCH THINGS HAPPEN.
C. THOSE WHO WONDER WHAT HAPPENED!

ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEA WHERE THIS COMES FROM?
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#40]
...no matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#41]
"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently."
 - Warren Buffet

Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Life is drawing without an eraser.
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#43]
"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ."

Leonidas
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#44]
"Don't turn down anything for free, even if it's just a pencil" My father
" I can't please everybody and please myself, so I'll just please myself" My Granddad
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's great civilizations has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through the following sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith, from spiritual faith to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependency, from dependency back to bondage." — Sir Alex Fraser Tyler (1742-1813)

Wow, great quote - very timely too.

this quote is routinely attributed to de tocqueville, but it is found nowhere in his writings.  i would love to find a reliable attribution for it, since i can't use it academically until i have a source.
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#46]
You aren't the first, you aren't the last, your just the next.
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#47]
"go to sleep with itchy ass, wake up with smelly finger."

"speak softly, and carry a big stick."
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#48]
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways - a cocktail in one hand - a smoke in the other - body thoroughly
used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO!? What a ride!"

Paul Smith
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Commandancy of the Alamo--
Bejar, Fby 24th 1836--

To the People of Texas & all Americans in the world--

Fellow citizens & compatriots--I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna--I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man -- The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken -- I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls -- I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch -- The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days.  If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country -- Victory or Death
William Barret Travis
Lt. Col. comdt

Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#50]
It only takes 20 years for a liberal to become a conservative without changing a single idea.

Robert Anton Wilson
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top