Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Got the rest of the barrel accessories off the barrel stubs

Fuck that was a big bitch to do.

Also got the rear take down pin out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Are there some good prices parts kits out there? I want a RPD and have a real pro build it.

I don't have a belt-fed in my collection. 
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got the rest of the barrel accessories off the barrel stubs

Fuck that was a big bitch to do.

Also got the rear take down pin out.
View Quote

rofl, yes for whatever reason they tighten the fuck out of them before putting the pins in. Its always a giant pain in the ass to get them off any soviet gun.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Lower is fit to the receiver. Damn thing is starting to look like a gun!

I've mic'd the barrel and receiver end where the barrel goes. That's gunna be fun. The barrel is a few thousands bigger. I'm thinking if I remove a little bit of the anodizing inside the receiver I might be good to go there. Haven't decided how to tackle it just yet though. Still a ways off
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:06:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lower is fit to the receiver. Damn thing is starting to look like a gun!

I've mic'd the barrel and receiver end where the barrel goes. That's gunna be fun. The barrel is a few thousands bigger. I'm thinking if I remove a little bit of the anodizing inside the receiver I might be good to go there. Haven't decided how to tackle it just yet though. Still a ways off
View Quote

Try heating the receiver (200-250F maximum, don't go nuts on it) to expand the bore before you try removing any material from the parts.  Additionally, you can stick the barrel in the freezer to shrink it a few thousandths.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#8]
You know I just started thinking about something.

How many different semi auto conversion variances are out there? I would assume they would all require different modifications to the lower and the carrier
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#9]
OST

Also, where'd you get the kit?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OST

View Quote

gunbroker
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

gunbroker
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OST

gunbroker

Awesome.

I'll be following this with great interest.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Awesome.

I'll be following this with great interest.
View Quote

Still a ways out. Im gunna have to farm out the conversion part of it.

Ive emailed DSA and two rivers today to see what they would charge. I spoke to project guns awhile back about doing it as well
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Two rivers only builds complete guns

DSA declined due to a backlog of RPD builds

Looks like project guns it is, unless someone else can offer up a suggestion
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#14]
TAG

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

My guns northwest did an awesome AKM reweld for me. I'm sure he could do it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You know I just started thinking about something.

How many different semi auto conversion variances are out there? I would assume they would all require different modifications to the lower and the carrier
View Quote

All of them I've seen are basically the same, a striker fired setup.
The bolt carrier getting the rails cut, auto sear notch ground off, and the carrier drilled for a firing pin extension or such.
The lower is modified to work as a semi auto only striker sear setup.
It would be pretty hard to do a hammer fired conversion without going to a forward recoil spring setup.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Project Guns does good work.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

gunbroker
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OST

gunbroker

Search for bowman
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah he is who I will be using. Spoke with him today about doing the conversion through email. He was prompt and the price is pretty nice for getting someone who has experience doing these conversions.

After that its just setting up the barrel and pressing it in and fine tuning.

Im hoping the barrel side of this project isn't as horrible as it was getting the damn accessories off. I figure Ill press the barrel in and then install the accessories. Hopefully the freezing and heating suggested above will help getting the barrel in. Its looking like its going to be really fucking tight.

Then finally figuring out the headspacing for this thing and fine tuning if it has issues running
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah he is who I will be using. Spoke with him today about doing the conversion through email. He was prompt and the price is pretty nice for getting someone who has experience doing these conversions.

Im hoping the barrel side of this project isn't as horrible as it was getting the damn accessories off. I figure Ill press the barrel in and then install the accessories. Hopefully the freezing and heating suggested above will help getting the barrel in. Its looking like its going to be really fucking tight.

Then finally figuring out the headspacing for this thing and fine tuning if it has issues running
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Headspacing is easy.
Removed extractor and firing pin from bolt.
Press the barrel until it gets close, check that with the no-go it will no longer close. if it won't close on no go, verify it will close on the go.
Ensure that as you are pressing the barrel that the Extractor groove is lined up to the bottom of the receiver. I've never installed a barrel with the groove pre-cut, I always cut them post install. If yours isn't perfect a stone and a dremel extension wand will get you in their to clean it up.

Pin the barrel BEFORE installing the rest of the parts. I used an oversized (YUGO) AK barrel pin. The receivers I've worked with have a spot marked for drilling, and then reaming the pin hole to final size.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Headspacing is easy.
Press the barrel until it gets close, check that with the no-go it will no longer close. if it won't close on no go, verify it will close on the go.
Ensure that as you are pressing the barrel that the Extractor groove is lined up to the bottom of the receiver. I've never installed a barrel with the groove pre-cut, I always cut them post install. If yours isn't perfect a stone and a dremel extension wand will get you in their to clean it up.

Pin the barrel BEFORE installing the rest of the parts. I used an oversized (YUGO) AK barrel pin. The receivers I've worked with have a spot marked for drilling, and then reaming the pin hole to final size.
View Quote

Sounds easy . Hopefully it goes as easy as it sounds.

Yes there is a sport that is dimpled on the receiver which makes things easy. It almost seems high, but Im sure its where its suppose to go.

Will I need to support the receiver internally? Its seems pretty stout, but Id rather not fuck it up.

The barrel extractor cut seems to match up nicely to the bolt with extractor so I don't think Ill need any work there.

Im gunna remeasure the ID of the receiver and the OD of the barrel again since I had a bit of whisky when I was messing with the two. Im a little nervous I may have to take a tiny bit off of one or the other. But Im gunna check and double check before I touch anything.

The DSA receiver was suppose to .945" if memory serves. It was definitely under that.

Nope memory sucks and its suppose to measure .9375 and that seems about right from what I was measuring
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes there is a sport that is dimpled on the receiver which makes things easy. It almost seems high, but Im sure its where its suppose to go.

Will I need to support the receiver internally? Its seems pretty stout, but Id rather not fuck it up.

The barrel extractor cut seems to match up nicely to the bolt with extractor so I don't think Ill need any work there.

Im gunna remeasure the ID of the receiver and the OD of the barrel again since I had a bit of whisky when I was messing with the two. Im a little nervous I may have to take a tiny bit off of one or the other. But Im gunna check and double check before I touch anything.

The DSA receiver was suppose to .945" if memory serves. It was definitely under that.

Nope memory sucks and its suppose to measure .9375 and that seems about right from what I was measuring
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Headspacing is easy.

I just used a chunk of 4140 passed through the receiver so that my pressure was on the front trunnion area, not on the rails.

As for fitting the barrel I'd recommend just a light polish on the receiver with some emery cloth and then use anti sieze and press it. If it isn't going well, back off and then a little more light work with emery cloth.. Clean well, and more anti seize.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I just used a chunk of 4140 passed through the receiver so that my pressure was on the front trunnion area, not on the rails.

As for fitting the barrel I'd recommend just a light polish on the receiver with some emery cloth and then use anti sieze and press it. If it isn't going well, back off and then a little more light work with emery cloth.. Clean well, and more anti seize.
View Quote

Awesome. That's the way I was thinking about dealing with the marginal size difference as well.

Theres some large steel supports out there that Im sure I can figure something out to support the receiver. Again still a ways out on pressing it in.

Im gunna get the conversion parts sent out in the next few days. Not sure on the turn around time. I wouldn't imagine itd be more than a month unless they are super busy.

This is gunna be fun and is shaping out pretty well
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Linking you in @bradpierson26
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Do you need any new friends? I can bring the ammo.  Badass project for sure.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:10:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Linking you in @bradpierson26
View Quote

Fun times
Looks like a complete gun is $2,000+
Hopefully this is well under for you
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:15:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Fun times
Looks like a complete gun is $2,000+
Hopefully this is well under for you
View Quote

I doubt it if he bought a receiver and has to send it out for work. The only way to do it on the cheap is rewelding the receiver and converting the parts yourself.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:52:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I doubt it if he bought a receiver and has to send it out for work. The only way to do it on the cheap is rewelding the receiver and converting the parts yourself.
View Quote

By my math...

Parts kit runs 700 bucks.
New US-made barrel with whatever thread you want (why would you get anything other than 5/8-24?) costs 270 from PG
$165 for semi auto parts from PG
DSA arms receiver runs 375.

Plus 3 sets of shipping (call it another $100).  

Add another $30 for the FFL receiver transfer.

Looks like in the neighborhood of $1640.   Definitely looks like there's still savings to be had.

I've been watching this thread and trying to tell myself to stop lusting after an RPD build.

I've still got several AK parts kits and an RPK kit I haven't finished...
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:56:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sent them a really nice Polish kit and it came out great.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:23:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've been watching this thread and trying to tell myself to stop lusting after an RPD build.

View Quote

let me help you out...

Or the time I used one to melt a suppressor...

Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:31:53 AM EDT
[#31]
When the baffles start burning, that's when you know it's ready for the strips of fajitas.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

By my math...

Parts kit runs 700 bucks.
New US-made barrel with whatever thread you want (why would you get anything other than 5/8-24?) costs 270 from PG
$165 for semi auto parts from PG
DSA arms receiver runs 375.

Plus 3 sets of shipping (call it another $100).  

Add another $30 for the FFL receiver transfer.

Looks like in the neighborhood of $1640.   Definitely looks like there's still savings to be had.

View Quote

Yup your pricing is pretty spot on.

It has less to do with saving money and more to do with that I for some weird reason enjoy doing these projects.

I am roughly going to be 1700 in. This will be for a "shorty" build though. I could have just leaped and bought a whole gun, but that wouldn't be as satisfying to me in the end.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

let me help you out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnLZavu7-g4

Or the time I used one to melt a suppressor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxvpx_1L0YI
View Quote

Bottom video makes me want to rattle can this thing when its done now
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yup your pricing is pretty spot on.

It has less to do with saving money and more to do with that I for some weird reason enjoy doing these projects.

I am roughly going to be 1700 in. This will be for a "shorty" build though. I could have just leaped and bought a whole gun, but that wouldn't be as satisfying to me in the end.
View Quote

I thought you were farming out the install of the FCG? That would have put you up at least another 300.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I thought you were farming out the install of the FCG? That would have put you up at least another 300.
View Quote

Heres a rough estimate of where Im at

700 for kit
400 for receiver
200 for barrel
400 for conversion and parts

I rounded up on several I think Im actually a tiny bit under
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Heres a rough estimate of where Im at

700 for kit
400 for receiver
200 for barrel
400 for conversion and parts

I rounded up on several I think Im actually a tiny bit under
View Quote

You're going to have PG do the machining on the stuff like the carrier and firing pin extension, right?
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You're going to have PG do the machining on the stuff like the carrier and firing pin extension, right?
View Quote

Right

250 for the machine work and the rest of the money for the semi auto parts is what I was quoted
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Any updates? This thread really makes me want a rpd. I really liked firing the full auto dsa classic and tactical ones at a few of the bullpup shoots. Question for semi owners is it a huge letdown being only semi or still fun?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Any updates? This thread really makes me want a rpd. I really liked firing the full auto dsa classic and tactical ones at a few of the bullpup shoots. Question for semi owners is it a huge letdown being only semi or still fun?
View Quote

Im still a little ways out on getting this thing together
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Totally off topic, how cool is this???
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Enjoying the progress. I envy your mad skillz! I sadly have nether the skills or tooling to attempt that. But here is some inspiration for you! My son zeroing my DS Arms RPD. Oh, a tip for when you get to zeroing it in, an AK front sight tool won't work on a RPD. The front sight tool is in the RPD cleaning kit which DS Arms was to fucking cheap to send with the gun.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Totally off topic, how cool is this???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Obi-zCJGM
View Quote

Needs MOAR BUMFIRE STOCK!

I wonder what all you would have to do to make a buffer extension fit to add a bumpfire to it
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Enjoying the progress. I envy your mad skillz! I sadly have nether the skills or tooling to attempt that. But here is some inspiration for you! My son zeroing my DS Arms RPD. Oh, a tip for when you get to zeroing it in, an AK front sight tool won't work on a RPD. The front sight tool is in the RPD cleaning kit which DS Arms was to fucking cheap to send with the gun.
View Quote

Are you the guy that landed one a few weeks ago?

Looks sweet

Hows it run?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#44]
I have had zero time to do anything on this project.

Im waiting for the parts which I was late to send off. So the delay is on my end not project guns.

So I really cant do much of anything until I get the guts so I can press the barrel in and headspace.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Are you the guy that landed one a few weeks ago?

Looks sweet

Hows it run?
View Quote

It has a long trigger pull but it goes bang every time! Son slow firing:

I screwed up the video of his fast fire, but he nailed the buzzard at 75 yards quite nicely except for a few flyers with the Tula ammo we were using.

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Needs MOAR BUMFIRE STOCK!

I wonder what all you would have to do to make a buffer extension fit to add a bumpfire to it
View Quote

Answer this question and the Bumpsaw community would be indebted to you!

We have all pondered adding a home brewed bumpfire stock to an RPD... the trigger is what we all have an issue with.... @SkilletsUSMC says he wants to buy a kit and give her a swing though!

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks like there are some Egyptian RPD kits in a lot of 5 if anyone wants to put together a group buy. Price would be around $550 each. They're listed on GB.

I'd be in for one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Looks like there are some Egyptian RPD kits in a lot of 5 if anyone wants to put together a group buy. Price would be around $550 each. They're listed on GB.

I'd be in for one.
View Quote
what all would be involved in addition to $550? I've got no mechanical skills so it would have to go to a smith
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
what all would be involved in addition to $550? I've got no mechanical skills so it would have to go to a smith
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be in for one.

Click here, this thread has a lot of information.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Click here, this thread has a lot of basic information.  

View Quote

FIFY
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top