Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I’m 53 and considering the RV retirement lifestyle of buying a nice RV and living in some RV areas for a few years just to kinda get away from it all.
I know the state parks and national parks usually have some kind of program for “full timers” where you can get discounted rates or even more-so if you’re a veteran.
Has anyone done this and what can you tell me about your experience or lifestyle while doing so?
I spoke to a lady that did it with her husband for several years and she loved it, but he passed away and she had to buy a residence.
Please tell me your experience if you will.
View Quote

My parents did this when my Dad retired, they had a nice travel trailer and stayed at state and national parks.
They sold their home and gave away most of what they had in the house, 90 % of their time was spent at one state park.
After about five years they sold the trailer and moved into an apartment.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm constantly surprised where people will choose to live in all the new RV parks that have popped up in the last decade or so.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep in mind size restrictions.

We lived in two different class A diesel pushers over a ten year period. The first was a 38' and the second was 43'. The 43' we had custom built by Newmar and was set up as a house. 1 1/2 bathrooms, all electric, dishwasher, boiler for heat and hot water. Because the 43' was new it was $10,000 a year just to own, by the time you paid insurance, tags, yearly maintenance, etc...

To live in an RV it must also be your hobby. Keeping up with things that shake loose, parts that fail that are special sized just for an RV, poor parts, etc...

The bigger the rig the parts are in it.

Back to the size, state and fed parks are generally set max size at 35'. Big rigs are heavy, our 43' was over 40,000 lbs. Going off road can turn bad fast. Our front axle was 15,000, I sank it to the A arms once trying to turn around.

I would do it again in a heartbeat, hands down the greatest way to travel.

But it is not for everybody.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I think it depends on what you're wanting to do and how long you plan on doing it.

Just doing the rough numbers to get a decent RV then figuring in gas, lot/camping fees, extra time to get to where you're going due to slower speeds in the rigs vs a car, maintenance, tow rig (if not self propelled) etc, it makes more sense in most cases to just road trip or fly to your destination and stay in a nice hotel, cabin, airbnb, etc.

Also +1 for the do the international travel now before you get too old.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#5]
It sounds terrible.  Spending months at a time in a space 20 feet from others.  No property.  No ability to walk around without others nearby.

Consider finding property in a rural area with trees and neighbors not close.

Go on trips for a week or so then return to home.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you aren't handy and able to fix most things on the rv it's going to get expensive fast.

Size the rv so it is large enough too. Be comfortable in if there's a week of freezing rain outside.

I'm planning on buying a used Volvo sleeper semi truck to haul ours in the near future. Never have to worry about weight again and cheaper than a new or used dually.

If you are a veteran I know allot of bases have campgrounds on them that are available to active duty and vets. Have no idea on details though.

Look into being a campground host. In Missouri it's a non paid position but you get free rent and utilities. Duties vary by park. The one closest to me the host don't do much at all because the local prison inmates do most of the work.

There are companies that set up mailing addresses for you in places like Montana to deal with all the banking, taxes, insurance issues.

View Quote
They are surprisingly affordable for what you get; at least when I looked at them five or so years ago.  Far better towing and braking performance than any light duty truck.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Best Think for you since you are still relatively young is to hit the road with a single female in her 30s.

She's old enough to realize that she needs a man and you enough to where she will actually help with shit on your trips.
View Quote
Sometimes, you can seem wise beyond your years.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks again for all the replies.
I've talked quite a bit to my wife and this thread has helped a lot.
We've decided, after we're done with the rat race, and ready to retire, to try this lifestyle and see how it works for us. There's a ton to consider, but I think both of us could use some time away from the norm to get back to ourselves.
We just bought our new travel trailer to spend some family time with my son before he decides he likes girls more than nature. Once he leaves the nest it's all about us.
Thanks again for the replies.
View Quote
I would join both escapees.net and rv.net.  Like said above Escapee is the Arfcom of RVers', but RV.net is also useful.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#9]
@BlackFox has a nice used Mercedes B if you're interested, OP.  Bs are ideal for urban stealth boondocking.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#10]
We kept our house and travel 6 months of the year with our 5th wheel.

When deciding how to proceed; we talked  to a few in their 70s that had sold their homes and subsequently developed medical issues. They all regretted selling their homes. Most had sold their house and financed the RV. They were then financially unable to purchase a home when complications arose. I should add that they all loved the travel and RV community/lifestyle.

We’ve been across country 3 of the past four years with some local travel and two cruises tossed into the mix. We reverse the snowbird strategy and winter at home.

4 yrs total and plan to keep at it for the foreseeable future.

A couple of weeks in one location is the norm. Less than three nights in one area doesn’t seem to work for us.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't want to be the turd in the punch bowl, but the lifestyle you see on YT is not the one based in reality. For every beautiful day and vista, there are also days of rain, wind, shitty rv parks due to locked up reservations at increasingly busy national and state parks with the most horrible reservation system, etc. People are spending more nights at Walmart or Cracker Barrel along an interstate then they would like.
And boondocking is an option, but one that is starting to get more regulated with overuse as forest roads see closures and entire areas being closed to camping. You have to stay up on this and plan accordingly. And boondocking will rattle the piss out of any RV if its done enough.

And then there are the rv's themselves.
Take the shittiest, cheaply built house you've ever seen and hook it up to your truck and subject it to hurricane force winds and sustained earthquakes for hours at a time while you watch your gas needle drop like there's a leak in the tank. People believe somehow this was due to Covid. No, it has always been the case its just that more people know about it and are feeling it now than ever. They have always been shit.
There is nothing more expensive as a cheap RV. And getting parts to fix them is quite a challenge. Getting service is a whole other issue.

I know quite a few people who do this and yes, they wouldn't be doing it if they didn't want to. However, most of them have now figured they will not be sticking to their original plan and doing it as long as they hoped. It's a lot more expensive then they had realized. And those costs keep going up. We have met some great people out traveling like we do. And even have ran into them again and again. A few have stayed at our place while traveling through. And even more have my contact info if they ever need assistance while out in my area.

Our plan is that we travel in a very sturdily built very small off road teardrop with no systems to break down pulled by a Tacoma and go out for anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks. The model I have is fully skid plated, has a beefy custom frame and even the cabinetry is 3/4" high grade plywood. There is no water , heat (even though we have camped down to 11 degrees in it comfortably) or plumbing systems to break or maintain. It's one of those things everyone thinks is cool, but it's not everyone's style. And I get it.
I know a couple who rolled theirs 3x at 70mph and the family owned shop that builds them were able to fix it. I saw it in person as my build was underway. I still work a little and have flexible time so we use our home as a "basecamp". We hope to get out 85 nights this year and start doing 100+ next year.

Jump in, but jump in with realistic expectations. Figure in more nights at full featured rv parks, fuel and lots of maintenance. The boondock guys I know with the slide ins and large travel trailers do a lot of maintenance , tweaking and beefing up their rigs to avoid breakdowns.
The allure of that lifestyle, sadly comes with a price tag that a lot of people don't see coming until they are a few months into it.
But a lot of people make it work also. I guess half the fun is figuring it out as you go along.

Happy travels.
This is how I go. A queen sized bed on wheels, galley in back and interior cabinets. Its all I need. Canoe goes on top of the Tacoma. Bikes on a rack on back of the teardrop.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130027/20220222_075706_jpg-3194155.JPG
View Quote

All of this. Having lived in an RV for over five years when I lived in Texas I can say that there are several issues never discussed on the youtube channels.

One- No RV, no matter what the cost, is meant to be lived in. If you read the manufacturers warranty info you will see that living in most of them for more than a month a year will void any warranty.

Two- No two RV's are the same. Even ones that come off the same assembly line. Pipes, wiring, etc... are almost always 'One-offs'.

Three- Mine never moved and I was constantly fixing plumbing issues, sewage issues, electrical issues......etc...

I got so good at fixing mine that I started a side business as an RV handyman. That's how I found out that warranties are shit! Parts are not universal even in the same make and model....and that people expect the RV to stand up to everyday wear and tear as if it was a house. Most RV Service centers will require you to drop your RV off for an extended period of time in order to fix issues as simple (and nasty) as cleaning out a black water tank that gets clogged.

If it is your goal I suggest you learn how to fix EVERYTHING in the RV yourself. To include the water heater, the wiring, slide motors, the plumbing, and for God's sake NEVER use a plunger if your black water tank is clogged.

I could go on for hours....  living in an RV can be a good thing if you realize that no matter how much you spend on the RV shit will break and at the most inconvenient times!
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#12]
i keep thinking about this, except boat vs RV.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  i keep thinking about this, except boat vs RV.
View Quote

An RV that can sink!  
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i keep thinking about this, except boat vs RV.
View Quote

I would 100% retire on a boat before I would retire in an RV. I love the sea. I feel more comfortable on the water than I do on the land.

I can do 100% of the repairs and maintenance myself so only costs I would have would be parts and fuel.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

An RV that can sink!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  i keep thinking about this, except boat vs RV.

An RV that can sink!  

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't want to be the turd in the punch bowl, but the lifestyle you see on YT is not the one based in reality. For every beautiful day and vista, there are also days of rain, wind, shitty rv parks due to locked up reservations at increasingly busy national and state parks with the most horrible reservation system, etc. People are spending more nights at Walmart or Cracker Barrel along an interstate then they would like.
And boondocking is an option, but one that is starting to get more regulated with overuse as forest roads see closures and entire areas being closed to camping. You have to stay up on this and plan accordingly. And boondocking will rattle the piss out of any RV if its done enough.

Take the shittiest, cheaply built house you've ever seen and hook it up to your truck and subject it to hurricane force winds and sustained earthquakes for hours at a time while you watch your gas needle drop like there's a leak in the tank. People believe somehow this was due to Covid. No, it has always been the case its just that more people know about it and are feeling it now than ever. They have always been shit.
There is nothing more expensive as a cheap RV. And getting parts to fix them is quite a challenge. Getting service is a whole other issue.

I know quite a few people who do this and yes, they wouldn't be doing it if they didn't want to. However, most of them have now figured they will not be sticking to their original plan and doing it as long as they hoped. It's a lot more expensive then they had realized. And those costs keep going up. We have met some great people out traveling like we do. And even have ran into them again and again. A few have stayed at our place while traveling through. And even more have my contact info if they ever need assistance while out in my area.

Our plan is that we travel in a very sturdily built very small off road teardrop with no systems to break down pulled by a Tacoma and go out for anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks. The model I have is fully skid plated, has a beefy custom frame and even the cabinetry is 3/4" high grade plywood. There is no water , heat (even though we have camped down to 11 degrees in it comfortably) or plumbing systems to break or maintain. It's one of those things everyone thinks is cool, but it's not everyone's style. And I get it.
I know a couple who rolled theirs 3x at 70mph and the family owned shop that builds them were able to fix it. I saw it in person as my build was underway. I still work a little and have flexible time so we use our home as a "basecamp". We hope to get out 85 nights this year and start doing 100+ next year.

Jump in, but jump in with realistic expectations. Figure in more nights at full featured rv parks, fuel and lots of maintenance. The boondock guys I know with the slide ins and large travel trailers do a lot of maintenance , tweaking and beefing up their rigs to avoid breakdowns.
The allure of that lifestyle, sadly comes with a price tag that a lot of people don't see coming until they are a few months into it.
But a lot of people make it work also. I guess half the fun is figuring it out as you go along.

Happy travels.
This is how I go. A queen sized bed on wheels, galley in back and interior cabinets. Its all I need. Canoe goes on top of the Tacoma. Bikes on a rack on back of the teardrop.
View Quote

All of this.

I jumped straight into a diesel pusher almost five years ago and currently volunteer as an RV park groundskeeper/host. IMO it's like being deployed or PCS'ing frequently.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Make sure you get upside down pineapples, and flamingos to put out front, if your going to the villages area make sure you have your loofa math figured out.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I had two friends do it in retirement many years ago. Bought really expensive RVs and just live in them full time. They have been to every inch of the USA and Canada. Have not heard from either one in years so I guess they like it. Not for me though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Jayco Building A Jayco Travel Trailer In 7 Hours

Seems to be lots of churn.

Attachment Attached File

Quoted:
Go to an overland expo.  
Read expedition portal.  

View Quote

I have done this. The costs are eye watering and there is an arms race for who can get the most expensive "expedition" trailer.

Attachment Attached File

If you're going to live in it and travel between parks the Marathons are nice.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If its what you really want to do ...

RV life after work issues:
- medical and dental stuff is a fucking pain
- banking is a bitch if you are not with a national institution
- mail and such are a fucking pain
- road gets lonely
- shit doesn't last as long as you think it does

Those were the reasons my aunt/uncle un-retired and bought a smaller home after 9 years doing it.
View Quote

9 years is a pretty damn good run…
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Happy travels.
View Quote
Solid post, thanks. Would like to see more detail/pics of your trailer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 2:23:26 PM EDT
[#22]
as long as you. look at your rv as money you can burn to start a fire if necessary your good to go. rv's are terrible for return on investment.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think it depends on what you're wanting to do and how long you plan on doing it.

Just doing the rough numbers to get a decent RV then figuring in gas, lot/camping fees, extra time to get to where you're going due to slower speeds in the rigs vs a car, maintenance, tow rig (if not self propelled) etc, it makes more sense in most cases to just road trip or fly to your destination and stay in a nice hotel, cabin, airbnb, etc.

Also +1 for the do the international travel now before you get too old.
View Quote

We do the numbers too. 650 nights so far in our coach. Average cost in a hotel is appx. $180. 650x180=117,000. We paid $106K for ours in 2016. Today it is an EASY sell at $85K. Sooo if you add fuel ( 65,000 miles @ 7 mpg, 500 nights RV campsite rental @ $45/night, insurance and a few repairs) and everything else we get appx. $50K. Add in the negative price reduction over the time we've owned it and I get $21K.

I'm hard cost all in $106K+$59K+$21K= $181K. We still have an $85K equity in it, hence $181K-$85K=$96K that we've spent (food excluded) for 650 nights of comfort, Direct Tv, Wife having her own bath, no car rental fees as we tow my truck, fabulous boon docking spots and more and more. All for an actual cost of $146 per night. These numbers are approximate as we've had full weeks FREE on beaches , free weeks in forests and untold overnights with no cost. My suspicion is that we're closer to $100 per night as we don't keep records on "free" nights.

Now for the best part. IF IF IF we were to sell it (we're talking about it) the reality is that the "$96K" figure will be reduced by $85K when we sell which leaves the math as follows. $96K-$85K= $11K of actual cost on the road for almost 8 years.

I'll say that using any RV as much as we have will result in similar numbers just as any RV sitting unused with payments on the drive way makes any nights spent costly nights. Being retired is a completely different plan that weekends or full time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I would consider splitting the difference.  Keep a house so you have that as an option.  A buddy of mine, and his wife, years ago use to house sit for a older couple who would travel 6 months of the year in their RV.  What was nice was they had someone they trusted to keep the house up, didnt cost them anything bc the people keeping it got free rent.  And they could come back anytime they wanted...Id hate to go all in on something like this and then find out its not for you.  Especially with rates what they are on buying houses right now.

I love the idea of it, but likely will either just get a tow behind when I retire or maybe fly into places and rent the nicer RV's that I can use for a few weeks and then fly home.  That way someone else can handle the issues with it...
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I had two friends do it in retirement many years ago. Bought really expensive RVs and just live in them full time. They have been to every inch of the USA and Canada. Have not heard from either one in years so I guess they like it. Not for me though.
View Quote

I like this story
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Rent one first. About 20% of the people I know stick with it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Be careful when buying a used RV.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Btdt for one year.

It wasn't easy and everything everyone said was correct.

Banking and maintenance was a huge issue for me as I waited for warrantied repairs at various facilities.

I would have been better off just flying around or renting a car like a prius and crashing at hotels with the wife unit.

Dr shit and dental shit was fucken epically tragic in some places where my insurance didn't work for anyone .

Staying in RV parks was it's own perks like the good Sam clubs.

Fucken disaster zones for some of those places in Oregon and Washington.

Never again.

But YMMV also.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If its what you really want to do ...

RV life after work issues:
- medical and dental stuff is a fucking pain
- banking is a bitch if you are not with a national institution
- mail and such are a fucking pain
- road gets lonely
- shit doesn't last as long as you think it does

Those were the reasons my aunt/uncle un-retired and bought a smaller home after 9 years doing it.
View Quote

I did it for 14 years. I now live in a small garden home. Central air and heat are really nice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Drive a school bus to see if you like driving something big while you are paid. International makes a solid bus.  Maybe something to think about if you convert one to an RV.

Then travel during the summer in something smaller.

I know a few retirees who drive school bus to finance their cross country summer vacations.

But they do not own an RV.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

We do the numbers too. 650 nights so far in our coach. Average cost in a hotel is appx. $180. 650x180=117,000. We paid $106K for ours in 2016. Today it is an EASY sell at $85K. Sooo if you add fuel ( 65,000 miles @ 7 mpg, 500 nights RV campsite rental @ $45/night, insurance and a few repairs) and everything else we get appx. $50K. Add in the negative price reduction over the time we've owned it and I get $21K.

I'm hard cost all in $106K+$59K+$21K= $181K. We still have an $85K equity in it, hence $181K-$85K=$96K that we've spent (food excluded) for 650 nights of comfort, Direct Tv, Wife having her own bath, no car rental fees as we tow my truck, fabulous boon docking spots and more and more. All for an actual cost of $146 per night. These numbers are approximate as we've had full weeks FREE on beaches , free weeks in forests and untold overnights with no cost. My suspicion is that we're closer to $100 per night as we don't keep records on "free" nights.

Now for the best part. IF IF IF we were to sell it (we're talking about it) the reality is that the "$96K" figure will be reduced by $85K when we sell which leaves the math as follows. $96K-$85K= $11K of actual cost on the road for almost 8 years.

I'll say that using any RV as much as we have will result in similar numbers just as any RV sitting unused with payments on the drive way makes any nights spent costly nights. Being retired is a completely different plan that weekends or full time.
View Quote

@ACEB36TC

You deducted the 85k resale value twice….  So you are off by 85k.  You didn’t get 8 years of use for 11k….  

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@ACEB36TC

You deducted the 85k resale value twice….  So you are off by 85k.  You didn’t get 8 years of use for 11k….  

View Quote

So if I get $85K cash back when I sell it where did it come from?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I’ve wondered if the RV life is for me.

How is dealing with your own “black water”

Handling my own shit seems really low on my list of wants.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#34]
If you are very much in love two people can live in a 19' B.  

It's much easier to be a bachelor in a B than have a woman living full time in it, however.  No toad, it is the toad, parks in ordinary urban parking places, including downtown - but not in parking garages.  You only get 3-4 showers before needing more fresh water when boondocking - and there are no cold showers in Texas July & August unless you're hooked up to a faucet.

Staggering out of the pub after you've had your fill and drifting off to sleep in a quiet neighborhood, waking up & driving off to be about your business the next morning is a relaxing way to deal with things.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:  I’ve wondered if the RV life is for me.

View Quote

Depends on how well you can follow instructions and how many times you bother to rinse the black tank before you call it good.  I'd dump the black tank 3 times before chasing it w/ the grey water.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#36]
@autumnsong:
"We are Thousand Trails members but it is camping not luxury RV resorts. Buy a yearly membership to try it out first. Some love it some hate it. If you decide to buy a full membership buy it on the pre owned market. Not new."

Interesting!
1. Are these campsites for Thousand Trails Members only, or do they rent the spaces to anyone? Especially the seasonal Encore RV Resorts...
2. Where do you find the "Pre-owned market" for these memberships?
3. Do all of the campgrounds have hook-ups and waste water dump spots?
Note: They do have a Glamping Cabin membership as well if you want to get fancy.

Thanks for your info - very good!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
@autumnsong:
"We are Thousand Trails members but it is camping not luxury RV resorts. Buy a yearly membership to try it out first. Some love it some hate it. If you decide to buy a full membership buy it on the pre owned market. Not new."

Interesting!
1. Are these campsites for Thousand Trails Members only, or do they rent the spaces to anyone? Especially the seasonal Encore RV Resorts...
2. Where do you find the "Pre-owned market" for these memberships?
3. Do all of the campgrounds have hook-ups and waste water dump spots?
Note: They do have a Glamping Cabin membership as well if you want to get fancy.

Thanks for your info - very good!
View Quote

1 - Members & prospects only.
2 - RV forums.
3 - Yes.

Call em - they'll give you 3 free nights to try it out, and give you the sales pitch.  Used market would be on popular RV forums, buying a membership out of an estate or from a widow.  It's basically a timeshare, and if you upgrade (or buy a membership w/ the upgrade), you can stay in the same park/spot forever for a few hundred $ a year.  Or go anywhere else in their network across the US (and Canada?), ie, go north during the summer & south in the winter.

5th wheels are the biggest bang for your buck in my opinion, especially the 3 axle toy haulers w/ the rear garage, w/ a Diesel 3500 pickup.

Bumper tows are the cheapest, harder to tow than 5th wheels, decent if you're just gonna park it somewhere for a long time like for an away job.  Also you can get away w/ much less robust tow vehicles, but go much lighter on the trailer than your tow rating.  You are gonna load that thing up, and the water tank alone will be several hundred pounds worth.

Cs are the cheapest per sq ft motorhomes, but then you need a Toad behind if you're full timing unless you go B.  Bs are probably the most expensive per sq ft, and tiny, so you need to be very much in love or single to full time in a B.  But no need for a Toad - you are daily driving your house, and no one really pays attention to you.

Gas A's drink gas, but the cheapest A; Diesel pusher A's are the big boys for folks w/ money, but either way you'll need a Toad.

If I'd married a different wife, I could see retiring to Thousand Trails w/ a full membership, & doing the snowbird thing til we got too old to drive, and then settling in one of the southern parks reasonably close to hospitals.  FW_wife ain't living in a camper, no way, no how.  I miss my full-timing days occasionally, but it's very nice to have a blonde ARFCOMer to cuddle up next to.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:36:37 PM EDT
[#38]
You can buy a Military-lifetime pass or a Senior-Lifetime pass (Senior Only $80) for the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands allowing free entry in to all of them. Camping is an extra fee which is not discounted. USGS Online Stores is where you go to get one and allow at least 3 weeks to get it.

The free camping Federal land is getting closed off more and more from what I have heard. You are only supposed to stay 14 days, they have no hook-ups. They don't want you camping just anywhere. They say to look for the fire rings and flat bare ground next to them to camp on ((They wish to preserve the natural beauty and people are ruining it, so they are getting more rules in place now)).

Harvest Hosts seems pretty cool and there are thousands of locations. They say only fully contained 4-hardsided trailer/RV's Class A, B & C. From their website:
"Traditional pop-up campers, otherwise known as folding camping trailers, where the middle and sides of the trailer pop up and out, are prohibited.
Also prohibited: Tents, such as ground tents or car rooftop tents; sleeping in cars, or trucks; overlanding in jeeps, bikes, or ATVs."
They only have 1-3 spots per location, you need a reservation, and they ask that you purchase something from the folks who have allowed you to stay on their property. Farms, Breweries, Wineries & Museums.

Enjoy retirement and happy RVing!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#39]
@Lhands

We bought our used Thousand Trails membership through campgroundmembershipoutlet.com about 5(?) years ago. It was $3200 as I recall and we pay about $600 per year maintenance fee. It is camping, not manicured RV resorts for the most part. All sites seem to have water and electric. Many sites also have sewer and all parks have a sewer dump if you don’t have sewer at your site. My membership lets us stay 3 weeks at a park but we can then go to another park for 3 weeks and do that endlessly with no extra fees.  Some folks never leave the TT system so end up paying that annual maintenance fee as their yearly rental fee. Cheap living if you like to do that sort of thing. We primarily camp in WA, OR, and TX although we have visited many of the TT parks all over the country. We are currently in the Las Vegas TT.
Encore parks are an add on you can pay for per year. They are a fancier and have a more community vibe. @350 a year as I recall and you can stay 2 weeks at a time.  I call them geezerville because it is almost all senior citizens. Also more restrictive in the time frames of use.
Each TT membership is slightly different so you need to read the fine print.
We definitely get our moneys worth out of it and the membership paid for itself very quickly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#40]
I lived in a travel trailer for 7 months while in a course.

Some lessons I learned:

- Be prepared to go through and reinforce anything and everything, they are built like absolute shit
- get enough A/C and heater for where you are planning on going, in a hotter state my A/C simply couldn't keep up and I would have to leave for a while, have a list of alternate places to go if that happens or power goes out
- RV septic is a PITA, plan on pooping in a camp or gym bathroom as much as possible
- a lot of parks, especially on the east coast, will cost about as much as a mortgage for a months stay
- find every screw and bolt and make sure you have the right size driver on hand, along with spare fuzes. Finding out my floor AC vents had a weird security bit at 1am after my puppy shit into it was not awesome
- RV tires are shit, cover them as much as possible and bring ratchet straps to hold the covers in place
- replace all locks with better ones, they are shit and often can be opened with generic keys
- have replacements of external fixtures like master power cutoffs that can be damaged on the road
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLHux4SuXbY

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/76/vans_for_sale_JPG-3194341.JPG

I have done this. The costs are eye watering and there is an arms race for who can get the most expensive "expedition" trailer.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/76/shanty_JPG-3194347.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/76/marathon_coach_JPG-3194351.JPG

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLHux4SuXbY

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/76/vans_for_sale_JPG-3194341.JPG

Quoted:
Go to an overland expo.  
Read expedition portal.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/76/shanty_JPG-3194347.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/76/marathon_coach_JPG-3194351.JPG

That video is my most favorite video of all time...those dudes are moving!

also did you see that dump truck on the menonite lady?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I’ve wondered if the RV life is for me.

View Quote

That's actually not bad at all.

There are plenty places to dump and a lot of campsites have full hookups.

But now adays you just attacth the stinky slinky and let it roll.

Always dump black water before gray water and it won't be nasty
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#43]
One issue I always have with RVs is that the bathrooms are fucking always too small and they always don't have enough air conditioners.

So during the summer, it's always hot and you can't be comfortable using the restroom or showering.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If you’re a single guy, you will love it. Because there are a lot of single women doing the same.
View Quote

there are NOT a lot of 50 ish aged womenz solo RVing.

I have been going at it for about a year and a half and not one female in my age group is something I wish to see nekkid.

just sayin'
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#45]
I will only add-  years ago I took a week off and drove around Utah and Northern Arizona.

I ran into a large group of RVers travelling together to National Parks.   They mentioned their kids sending mail ahead to various post offices on their route.   Thought it was a pretty neat way to see the country for a few years.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#46]
I used an RV while building my house.

Hauled it a few hundred miles from point of purchase to our property.  Hated towing and you'll gulp down gasoline like you're driving a tank.

We started with barren rural land with no utilities, no improvements, no road, nothing.

Then I installed shore power.

Then I installed running water.

Then I ran waste plumbing and got a septic system.

It was like a slow progression from the stone ages into modern reality.  To live in the stone ages for more than a a year or two would be exhausting, and I'm in relatively good shape.

Would not do it again unless I had to.  Just get a nice cabin and car camp (backpack if you're fit for it) when the weather is nice.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#47]
If you have never done it before, rent one first.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So I’m 53 and considering the RV retirement lifestyle of buying a nice RV and living in some RV areas for a few years just to kinda get away from it all.
I know the state parks and national parks usually have some kind of program for “full timers” where you can get discounted rates or even more-so if you’re a veteran.
Has anyone done this and what can you tell me about your experience or lifestyle while doing so?
I spoke to a lady that did it with her husband for several years and she loved it, but he passed away and she had to buy a residence.
Please tell me your experience if you will.
View Quote

I have been full time for about a year and a half so far.

I am enjoying it.

It is not much different than a "sticks and bricks". Shit breaks, you fix it.

You tire of your view, just move.

That said, Parks have their ups and downs as does boondocking and "moochdocking".

If you do not want to use Privately owned parks, most of the State and Fed parks will limit you to 14 days at a time.
Private will go long term, but from what I have found, they will charge you a base fee and then electricity for times longer than a month.

Some State land will give you a month, most are 14 days. Some are strict, some are lax.

Good thing is you wont pay property tax, so that money you would spend and get shit out of it, now you can use that to see cool places of fix shit that breaks.

there are a lot of stuff to do and see if you wish to actually move.

Ask me things and I will do my best

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#49]
My mom and dad tried the RV retirement thing for about three years. It got real small real fast and damn near caused them getting a divorce so they sold it and just bought a house. The brochure sounds nice, but the reality is not necessarily or at least not for the long-term.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

All of this. Having lived in an RV for over five years when I lived in Texas I can say that there are several issues never discussed on the youtube channels.

One- No RV, no matter what the cost, is meant to be lived in. If you read the manufacturers warranty info you will see that living in most of them for more than a month a year will void any warranty.

Two- No two RV's are the same. Even ones that come off the same assembly line. Pipes, wiring, etc... are almost always 'One-offs'.

Three- Mine never moved and I was constantly fixing plumbing issues, sewage issues, electrical issues......etc...

I got so good at fixing mine that I started a side business as an RV handyman. That's how I found out that warranties are shit! Parts are not universal even in the same make and model....and that people expect the RV to stand up to everyday wear and tear as if it was a house. Most RV Service centers will require you to drop your RV off for an extended period of time in order to fix issues as simple (and nasty) as cleaning out a black water tank that gets clogged.

If it is your goal I suggest you learn how to fix EVERYTHING in the RV yourself. To include the water heater, the wiring, slide motors, the plumbing, and for God's sake NEVER use a plunger if your black water tank is clogged.

I could go on for hours....  living in an RV can be a good thing if you realize that no matter how much you spend on the RV shit will break and at the most inconvenient times!
View Quote
Every bit of this.

If you are not mechanically inclined, you will be.  Expect shit to break or quit working.  Just the way it is.

Have enough truck to pull what you have..  I have a 44ft toyhauler pulled by a F350 dually.  I get a whopping 9mpg pulling that big bitch.  Thats downhill, with a good tailwind.

I'm a big guy..  6'6" 325lbs.  I'm still cramped and feel confined in a 44ft rig.

I'm still 10yrs or so out from retiring, but this is our plan to see the country.  There is NO WAY I could live in one full time.  We will still keep the house and use as base camp.  Our plan is on the road for a month, come home for a month or two.  Maybe more during the winter months.

Just realize it's not all "keep your daydream" and "changing lanes" lifestyle you see on youtube.  These campers were never intended to be lived in full time.  You'll never convince me otherwise, no matter what anyone says.

It can be a ton of fun, and extremely frustrating.  Caveat Emptor...  Good luck!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top