Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The break action was in Last Crusade? Different time period.
View Quote
Yep; that would have been the Webley (I dislike them cannons)
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The entire sequence where he hops the horse and goes after the small convoy carrying the Ark is perhaps the best action sequence in the history of filmmaking. The stunts, music, backdrop, heck, everything about it is the pinnacle of the craft.

Found it:

Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
One of the best scenes ever. Story behind it, too. Ford was ill.
View Quote
Yup.  He was tired, and sick, and really really did not want to do that fight scene.  Supposedly when he pulled the gun and shot, it scared the other guy and he practically fainted, hence the character collapsing.

Now-a-days...heck, even into the 90s, letting an actor have live blanks in a scene that didn't use them would probably be rather problematic.  (Unless that story isn't entirely true as told.  Perhaps they were having trouble with the scene, and harrison mimed or suggested 'Why don't I just shoot him?' so they redid the scene that way.  Either way, still cool as shit.)

I also liked the behind the scenes in Crusade, where his hat kept blowing off.  So he stormed over to a desk, grabbed a staple gun and stapled it to his head!  (Although, I think that was staged.  That or that felt fedora was thick enough the staples didn't penetrate through.)
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is correct.

Never seen on screen with a 1911 - though he was supposed to have one.
When they started filming, the .45ACP blanks wouldn't cycle right. They had to go to a 9mm hence the HP.

My quasi-clone of Indy's first revolver, S&W M17 cutdown
https://live.staticflickr.com/345/19515271109_615497424e_h.jpgMore Indy by SoloDallas, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/4397/36626942293_ffb512cf18_h.jpgIndiana Jones 1917  HE Smith And Wesson, .45ACP. Around 4 inch barrel (3 5/8) by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a High Power in the bar fight.
This is correct.

When they started filming, the .45ACP blanks wouldn't cycle right. They had to go to a 9mm hence the HP.

https://live.staticflickr.com/345/19515271109_615497424e_h.jpgMore Indy by SoloDallas, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/4397/36626942293_ffb512cf18_h.jpgIndiana Jones 1917  HE Smith And Wesson, .45ACP. Around 4 inch barrel (3 5/8) by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Do you need moon clips for .45 ACP to work in that?
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do you need moon clips for .45 ACP to work in that?
View Quote
See? Good buddies can come out of the blue when we need them: sir, yesSir please!
Ain't got none - PM?
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I should add, I was 8 when this came out.  Didn't get to see it in the theater, parents thought it looked a bit too violent.  But I watched the hell out of it on the then new HBO when it was on there CONSTANTLY.  Anyway, Raiders lead to me having a crazy serious interest in both Ancient Egypt, Archeology, and WWII history.  (And guns.  And cool leather jackets).  Did get to see Temple and Crusade in theaters.  They are awesome films in their 'natural' environment.  I have the DVDs around here somewhere, they replaced my old VHS tapes.  I should probably see if there's a BluRay cut.

(And thank Anubis Lucas didn't decide to 'edit' these into Special Editions like he did with Star Wars.)

(And Anubis can just judge that Indy Spoof flick straight to the Underworld)
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Still one of my favorite movies of all time.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think Spielberg got some inspiration from the old movie serials from my day..the 50’s.
View Quote
Also from "VALLEY OF THE KINGS" with Robert Taylor
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The .45 revolver?  He switches to a 1911 halfway through.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The gun he used in that movie is on Gunbroker for $5,000,000 right now.  If you want it.

No I'm not kidding.
I was under the impression that 1911 is actually a Browning Hi-Power. I do not believe there ever was a 1911.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I grew up in the 1970s and in the 1980s.

Indiana Jones was one (and still is!) of my favorite characters; until I die.

Good Ol' Adventure by SoloDallas, on Flickr

(Revolver not accurate here, it's an old 1940s S&W Police in 38)
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I call it my generations Casablanca. Action, romance, thrills, Harrison Ford, what's not to like?
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There was a BHP too.
View Quote
The Nepal bar fight/shoot out. He switched over to a BHP.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The gun he used in that movie is on Gunbroker for $5,000,000 right now.  If you want it.

No I'm not kidding.
British contract Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector MKII chambered in .455 Webley.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The entire sequence where he hops the horse and goes after the small convoy carrying the Ark is perhaps the best action sequence in the history of filmmaking. The stunts, music, backdrop, heck, everything about it is the pinnacle of the craft.

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqQD8sVtfA4
View Quote
Even the license plate on the truck is close to real WH is 'Wehrmacht-Heer" or Armed forces-Army.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought one of his revolvers ( throws into the suitcase ) was a modified S&W .38/44
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Found it:

View Quote
Agreed.    Yet to ever be topped.

When he takes off on that horse to follow the convoy and the music theme pics up....I still get chills.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I thought one of his revolvers ( throws into the suitcase ) was a modified S&W .38/44
View Quote
This will clear much if not most of it:

Indiana Jones Guns
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#18]
IIRC The story goes he had the flu that day and the shooting was adlibbed.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Just to note,

Karen Allen.

Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't know for sure it it's true, but he supposedly was sick to his stomach when they started shooting this scene and the pulling out the gun and shooting the guy with the sword was a total improv.

ETA:  I see others have mentioned him being ill.

What I read indicated that the guy with the sword just played along as they figured they would have to reshoot the scene anyway.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't know for sure it it's true, but he supposedly was sick to his stomach when they started shooting this scene and the pulling out the gun and shooting the guy with the sword was a total improv.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Which became a classic scene.

Link Posted: 12/7/2019 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Which became a classic scene.

View Quote
Yes it did.  First time I saw it, I was all set to see a long drawn out fight with the sword and his whip but I love what it became.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you enjoyed Raiders you might also enjoy watching Secrets of the Incas.

One of my favorite Charlton Heston films.
View Quote
Also, The Man Who Would Be King with Caine & Connery, and The Wind and the Lion with Connery.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is correct.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a High Power in the bar fight.
This is correct.

Common problem for blank guns in the '80s. 9mm blanks reliable and available. .45 not available. That is why Magnum, P.I. (the Tom Selleck version) ".45" is actually a 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#25]
One of my favorite movies and movie series, as you can see by my living room wall. I got the first two posters from the movie theater I worked at when the movies were showing back in the 80's, and the next two from local theater giveaways at the showings.

Link Posted: 12/7/2019 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Found it:

View Quote
Fun fact:   That truck was the same one used in the scene where the Nazis kidnap Miriam. BTW, the truck was supposed to completely overturn but failed to do so.  Since it was totaled, they finished the scene and destroyed the truck on its side.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Although the Scimitar scene wasn’t improv, it also wasn’t what was originally scripted either. So yeah, it was changed due to dysentery, but not just on the spot. So the myth is true, but a bit exaggerated.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/harrison-ford-reddit-ama-2014-4
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Common problem for blank guns in the '80s. 9mm blanks reliable and available. .45 not available. That is why Magnum, P.I. (the Tom Selleck version) ".45" is actually a 9mm.  
View Quote
It was also a problem a half century earlier.  That is why Gary Cooper used a Luger in Sergeant York, instead of the M1911 which the real York used.

BTW, that original M1911 is still out there some where.  It was stolen when he was coming back to the US.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This will clear much if not most of it:

Indiana Jones Guns
View Quote
Came here to post this up. The place is a rabbit hole of Jones nerddom. If you dare, go read up on the various jackets and hats that were used in filming the movie. It always bugged me as a kid that the jacket kept changing its appearance throughout the flick. Similar to op, I was home pretty sick once and this was on and the jacket thing started bugging me. That’s what led me to that site and the revelation that there were multiple copies of the jacket and some were even cut differently.

On another nerdy note, they snuck R2D2 and C3PO into the movie!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Came here to post this up. The place is a rabbit hole of Jones nerddom. If you dare, go read up on the various jackets and hats that were used in filming the movie. It always bugged me as a kid that the jacket kept changing its appearance throughout the flick. Similar to op, I was home pretty sick once and this was on and the jacket thing started bugging me. That's what led me to that site and the revelation that there were multiple copies of the jacket and some were even cut differently.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/157935/2525A3CE-B2BF-48FA-9EAF-D090044CAFA1_jpeg-1187145.JPG
View Quote
I do get seriously nerdy when it comes down to movie props, either guns or things to wear.

I still live in that past (clothing). The 1940s, '50s, '60s and '70s were simply amazing
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I do get seriously nerdy when it comes down to movie props, either guns or things to wear.

I still live in that past (clothing). The 1940s, '50s, '60s and '70s were simply amazing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came here to post this up. The place is a rabbit hole of Jones nerddom. If you dare, go read up on the various jackets and hats that were used in filming the movie. It always bugged me as a kid that the jacket kept changing its appearance throughout the flick. Similar to op, I was home pretty sick once and this was on and the jacket thing started bugging me. That's what led me to that site and the revelation that there were multiple copies of the jacket and some were even cut differently.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/157935/2525A3CE-B2BF-48FA-9EAF-D090044CAFA1_jpeg-1187145.JPG

So you must love Mad Men then.

When I hear critics talk about Mad Men, it's about the props and wardrobes they go nuts over.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#32]
It's not the years honey, it's the mileage.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Indiana Jones is my favorite series. Minus the fourth movie that we'll pretend was never made.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

When I hear critics talk about Mad Men, it's about the props and wardrobes they go nuts over.
View Quote
LOL

(don't watch TV; I should though. Many current series have gotten seriously good; but I almost like exclusively action here - old fart)
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Indiana Jones is my favorite series. Minus the fourth movie that we'll pretend was never made.
View Quote
That movie would have been okay without Shia leButthead.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#36]
was great... had everything.

hidden treasure, nazi wonder weapons... Ark of the Covenant.. a true original and well done..
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Awesome flick
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Did he point an RPG and threaten to destroy the Ark? Not sure the Germans had those pre-WW2
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
LOL

(don't watch TV; I should though. Many current series have gotten seriously good; but I almost like exclusively action here - old fart)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

I'm not a fan of Mad Men, but maybe you should check it out since you're such a fan of props and wardrobes from the mid 20th Century.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Did he point an RPG and threaten to destroy the Ark? Not sure the Germans had those pre-WW2
View Quote
I don't think the Nazis ever had RPGs and I noticed that as well.

I might be wrong.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
they had Panzerschreck and some bazooka-like weapons , but nothing quite like what was in the film... never saw a nazi flying wing like that either, but it was convincing and pretty cool.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
they had Panzerschreck and some bazooka-like weapons , but nothing quite like what was in the film... never saw a nazi flying wing like that either, but it was convincing and pretty cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They had one on the drawing boards but never made it.

http://www.luft46.com/lippisch/lip04106.html
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#43]
For its 1999 VHS re-issue, the outer package was labeled Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark for consistency with the film's prequel and its sequel. The subsequent DVD release in 2003 features this title as well. The title in the film itself remains unchanged, even in the restored DVD print.

In the DVD, two subtle digital revisions were added.

First, a connecting rod from the giant boulder to an offscreen guidance track in the opening scene was removed from behind the running Harrison Ford; second, a reflection in the glass partition separating Ford from the cobra in the Well of Souls was removed.[
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, it was an RPG-7 used in the film. It was supposed to be made up to look like a Pamzerfaust but it was done poorly.

The BV-38 Flying Wing seen in the movie is fake, it never existed. However, it was designed based off of designs of prototype aircraft of the time also none of which were ever made.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 10:45:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It's not the years honey, it's the mileage.
View Quote
" They all had the same problem. They weren't you honey"
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:22:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Awesome movie! Far better then the new crap they are pumping out.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#47]
One of the greatest movies ever made.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:33:01 PM EDT
[#48]
back when lucas was good.

Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:35:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yes, it was an RPG-7 used in the film. It was supposed to be made up to look like a Pamzerfaust but it was done poorly.

The BV-38 Flying Wing seen in the movie is fake, it never existed. However, it was designed based off of designs of prototype aircraft of the time also none of which were ever made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the Krauts didn't have hidden sub caves in the Greek islands in 1936.

It's a movie.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:38:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's a movie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a movie.
It's not a comic book.

It's a graphic novel.

Put that in your Karen and the cat meme.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top