Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/17/2018 8:23:22 AM EDT
After more or less being all over east and central Texas for the past two weeks I noticed these seem to be state issued for truck owners.

What makes em so good? Do I need one for my truck?

I’ve had ARB stuff in the past but they don’t make anything for the F150 platform.

Learn me folks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#1]
They're cheap and they make people think they could push over a mountain with their truck.

That's why they're everywhere.

I want one because they're cheap and deer are fucking idiots.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#2]
It's like a cowboy hat for your truck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:29:43 AM EDT
[#3]
They are a lot tougher than the factory bumpers, they provide more protection from wildlife, and some like the way they look.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#4]
There are a ton around here on brodozers and oil field trucks. They are expensive ($1000+) but they do look beefy. I saw a truck not long ago with a smashed-up Ranch Hand bumper and it didn't look so beefy any more, but I wish I could have talked to the driver to find out what caused the damage.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the quarter turn grill guards.
Cost a little more but a lot more sturdy than round ones like Ranch Hand.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#6]
My deductible is $1000.00. Same as the brush guard. Cheap insurance against a deer hit. Don’t like the way it looks but it will protect my front end if Bambi decides to end it all by jumping in front of me. It’s utilitarian, not cosmetic.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:39:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're cheap and they make people think they could push over a mountain with their truck.

View Quote
The last part is why I am thinking about something. I’ve got 5-10 miles of backroads to get to city roads and have deer pass every morning / evening to and from work.

We have a metric shit ton of deer here south of Nashville.

ETA: for those that have em how noticeable is the weight on the front end?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I never liked 'em because of the weight but they are making some lighter ones these days.

I have thought about getting one on my next truck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to work for the factory that makes them. They are made right across the street from the Shiner beer factory.  Very interesting story on how the company came about and they cant seem to make them fast enough.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The last part is why I am thinking about something. I’ve got 5-10 miles of backroads to get to city roads and have deer pass every morning / evening to and from work.

View Quote
On a 2017 Chevy Silverado I’ve never noticed it. It doesn’t affect weight distribution or stance at all and I have stock suspension. Got one off of eBay for my last truck. Total POS. You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I used to work for the factory that makes them. They are made right across the street from the Shiner beer factory.  Very interesting story on how the company came about and they cant seem to make them fast enough.
View Quote
You gonna share the story with us?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Work great for bump gates.

For those that have never used a bump works just like it sounds. Ram the gate and it opens up and the cable twist around the support pole and it will self close. Bump it hard enough it will open, you drive thru, and it will close after you get the truck thru. You can spot people who have never done it pretty quickly, they are the ones with a giant slash down the side of the truck. The support pole lets the gate swing both directions on one side or the other, so you can go and come without having to open the gate. Pretty popular in south TX ranch country for gates between pastures that don't require a lock but have to be kept closed for cattle and you come and go pretty often.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#13]
They look like Bubba's lip from Forrest Gump, but I would like one for protection against deer. Can't justify spending money to make my truck look worse though. Will just have to risk it instead.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Check out the testimonials on the Ranch Hand website:
https://www.ranchhand.com/blog/testimonials/
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the way Buckstop bumpers look. Just a little beefier without going full mall-crawler like some other steel bumper brands. I bet a Ranch Hand will still do you good though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes let's go to the company's website to find out if they make good stuff.

Bear creek arsenal also says their barrels are the best.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Never cared for them. The older ones look like shit, like something you would see on a 1970's Dodge Power Wagon. They are cheap compared to a Fab Fours, Iron Bull, ARB etc....
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Some of you guys act like you hit deer every day
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some of us don't live in the city.

Replace deer with antifa and 90% of gd would be all over it.

Me and muh cuzin cleatus gonna put one on muh truck for the civil war coming up, hope der ain't no stairs Cruz my oxygen tank cart and scooter won't make it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#20]
have full grill guard and bumper on all my F250's.  Wife's Expedition just has the grill guard.  If you can hit a deer square on, it'll send them flying.  If they get hit off square, they'll possibly still bounce down the side of the truck.

I can't afford to have my ranch truck down for several days for a stupid deer smack.  They'll also turn turkeys into a ball of feathers.  I despise those stupid turkeys.  They've driven off all the pheasants.  Death to turkeys.  I'll have 400-500 together during the winter, but the dog keeps them away from the house/out buildings.

I don't notice any weight front end issuues, but I'm not running 1/2 tons.  I'd HIGHLY suggest getting the bumper/grill guard if you've got deer around.  Hit a cow on the highway at night and it won't help you much tho.  LOL

My .02
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I've had them on my last two trucks; wouldn't run without them now.

Prior to having them, you really had to keep a watchful eye for deer on the road out here in the Texas Hill Country. I rolled my first one in an F250 doing 80; right as I crested a hill there was a deer smack dab in the middle of the road. There was zero chance to avoid it, and I hit that SOB hard. Having never hit one with a RH before, I didn't know what to expect, but I knew from hitting them previously to expect a badly damaged front end and probably a cracked radiator given the speed I was going. I quickly pulled over and inspected the truck with a mag light; literally zero damage whatsoever. Just a light coating of hair on the bumper.

As I recall, I just started laughing on the side of the road.... they are "definitive".

I've hit a few more deer since then, and now I just don't give them a second thought.

Edit: I know a guy whose life was saved by a ranch hand. He was in his cummins farm truck coming back from feeding cattle and he had a head on collision with another car on a back country road; they were both doing 60mph. Other drive died on impact; he walked away.

As far as weight, I've had them on both a 3/4 and 1/2 ton. I had the original "legend" on my F250, and now have their only 1/2 ton version. You couldn't feel the weight in the 3/4ton, but the front squats a bit in the 1/2 ton, despite it being of slightly lighter construction.

Shamelss pics:
Current Truck

Old Truck:
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

depends on the style

i put the classic full replacement on my truck but it's a one ton with optional stiffer front springs.  it's heavy.

would likely still be fine without the stiffer springs but they also make another out of sheet metal instead of pipe, the summit i believe, that is lighter

for a half ton all i'd go with was the grill guard

cheap insurance. think i paid $1100 shipped from bumpersuperstore.com and could sell my factory bumper for $300 or so if i wanted

ETA:  

and my wife kills birds like it's her job, so i put one on her car too

Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Front end replacement. Brush guards are weak if you do any real ranch work.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You gonna share the story with us?
View Quote
The company that actually makes them is Kaspar, which is a contract manufacture. Years ago they were doing a large amount of work for a small company making truck bumpers etc. That company went out of business and to settle the debt Kaspar took them over. Then  the way I remember, they renamed them with the Ranch Hand brand that they owned and started selling them through those locations.

Nobody in their wildest dreams thought it would grow like it did, it went from a small accidental  acquire to by far their largest generator of sales.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I was never a big believer until I was a passenger in a truck with brush guard and we hit a deer going about 70 at 2am.  It was pretty damn impressive.....the only damage was the brush guard was bent about an inch or two.

Still don't have one on my truck, but can definitely see the appeal.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed. Add hogs, black bear, and coyote to the list of dumbass animals I run across on my morning commute and it adds an unwelcome pucker-factor.

That's why I'm looking for one for my truck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you like to contribute to the OP's thread and care to locate and post some reviews then, especially ones with post-crash pictures to see how they hold up like in the link I provided?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:23:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Good info, I drive down a deer highway often and have been thinking about this...
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#29]
How else am I supposed to plow down Prius on 75 every day
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:24:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Some of us don't live in the city.

Replace deer with antifa and 90% of gd would be all over it.

Me and muh cuzin cleatus gonna put one on muh truck for the civil war coming up, hope der ain't no stairs Cruz my oxygen tank cart and scooter won't make it.
View Quote
Meh, I don't live in the city. And up here our deer get bigger than German shepherds

Those bumpers are still uglier that shit
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
as one who made them - is the quality there?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#32]
A buddy hit a pregnant sow with his.

The only "damage" was the entrails and a fetus or two hung up in the suspension of his truck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some of us live in an area that deer and other animals are a true road hazard.  My guards have saved me on deductibles more than once.  Plus some of us use our trucks for working and not for only going to the opera.  I had a steer that thought my truck would be a nice thing to butt his head into.   Without the guard, I would have had some grill pieces missing.

I have a close call with deer, elk or moose several times a year.  I know a local guy that hit four deer in 2017.   So for some of us, guards are pretty useful.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Lots of deer in TX and they will do a lot of damage/enter the cab and injure you.

Places with lots of deer (which are dumb fucks) you see a lot more of those kinds of bumpers.

I want off-road bumpers for my truck, more so I can get a better approach/departure angle, mount a winch, and have less conspicuous urban armor.

I also want some rock sliders that extend out enough that people who like to throw their doors into my truck get their doors fucked up by my sliders rather than letting them hit my paint/sheet metal.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The last part is why I am thinking about something. I've got 5-10 miles of backroads to get to city roads and have deer pass every morning / evening to and from work.

View Quote
Go up a weight in spring and you won't notice them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Only takes one to ruin your day or pay for the bumper cost.  I've hit deer with trucks w/ deer armor enough in deer country that just one strike w/o the bumper would have cost me the $1000 in insurance deductible, loss of use of my truck while it got repaired, increase in insurance rate, and devaluation of vehicle due to wreck/claim.

So yeah, they make sense once you pencil them out.  Plus they double as urban armor for those times when people want to try to play intimidation tactics....ever notice those videos never involve a big ass truck with big ass bumper?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Certain parts of TX hitting a deer is damn near daily deal. Take a county like LLano. After deer season half the deer get on one side of the road, the other half on the other side. Just as you get there they all swap sides to swap war stories from the season. Of course a lot of the deer there will weigh 75 pounds but still. I hit 3 at 2am once in East Texas and did a few thousand damage to my truck. Doesn't help that TXDoT plants rye grass in areas to reduce erosion lol.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#39]
So what other companies should I consider?

Lower profile / weight is a priority.

Truck for reference.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've hit 6 so far and I'm only 30. Try living in rural NE WI. It's a daily occurance to see deer on or next to the road. I almost hit a donkey in the road once on Christmas Eve.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Truck for reference.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/164007/6EB2F7FF-38AF-491E-B1A5-80B1950927F8-642834.JPG
View Quote
Go with a Ranch Hand summit, but level the front end out first to help offset the sag you're going to get.

The white/black contrast will look good.

Lots of the other aftermarket front bumpers (Road Armor and the like) are obnoxiously huge, and almost always make trucks look worse IMO.

Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#42]
My last vehicle had a brush guard. Saved me from front grill/hood damage when a deer ran out into to road and I slammed into it. Spun the deer around and I had what look like the contents of its stomach all over my rear tire!
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:56:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Truck for reference.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/164007/6EB2F7FF-38AF-491E-B1A5-80B1950927F8-642834.JPG
View Quote
frontier doesn't suck from what i've seen

look here https://bumpersuperstore.com/
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL. I don't get into armed confrontations every day either. Should I not carry?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#45]
They pay for themselves in the event of hitting a hog, deer, etc. No copay, time in the shop or Carfax report to impact resale value.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
LOL. I don't get into armed confrontations every day either. Should I not carry?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I also want some rock sliders that extend out enough that people who like to throw their doors into my truck get their doors fucked up by my sliders rather than letting them hit my paint/sheet metal.
View Quote
That would be one hell of a set of sliders...
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outriggers, lol
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#49]
The company is a shit show.  Ordered one for my truck, special order they said they would call me in a few weeks.  8 weeks later I call them about it.  “Oops sorry we forgot to order it” and they were dicks about it.  They reorder it after again getting all my info and truck info.  It came in 4 weeks later, but yet again they didn’t call me, I called them to check on it.  “Oops sorry we forgot to call you but it’s in”.   I went down there and they pulled it from the back.  They start the process and undo the tow hooks and immediately run into a problem.  “Oops sorry it doesn’t fit and we apparently don’t make the right one for your truck, just the other models of your truck.

Don’t waste your time with that company.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My deductible is $1000.00. Same as the brush guard. Cheap insurance against a deer hit. Don't like the way it looks but it will protect my front end if Bambi decides to end it all by jumping in front of me. It's utilitarian, not cosmetic.
View Quote
Is it attached differently than the factory bumper?  It seems that it will not protect much if the attachment points crumple when the deer hits.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top