User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 12:28:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
197th Infantry Brigade, i wore this at benning 2009-2010
<a href="http://s953.photobucket.com/user/Bushmaster1984/media/150px-197thInfantryBrigade_zps29a424a4.png.html" target="_blank">http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae18/Bushmaster1984/150px-197thInfantryBrigade_zps29a424a4.png</a>
View Quote

So did I, it was preceded by the follow me
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 12:37:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 1:49:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Not rare per-se, but not commonly known in the US, as far as I'm aware that is.

Up close:

In context (sort of):

All a part of:

Disclaimer: Not an original patch!

ETA: A pic of some of its most famous wearers:
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I was at Myer in E Company (Honor Guard) we were the only ones who could wear the 'Honor Guard' tab, everyone else just had the MDW patch.........

I don't think I like the changes made to TOG........................
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

When I was at Myer in E Company (Honor Guard) we were the only ones who could wear the 'Honor Guard' tab, everyone else just had the MDW patch.........

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

When was that? We always called Echo Company "Echo Fags", and Alpha Company "Wigs".

I never had any intention of going to The Old Guard, but it was my ticket to becoming 11B versus 11M, and I met the requirements, passed the background screening, etc.

I always heard about what it was like to be in a "real unit" while I was there, but to be honest, it was actually a good unit in many ways. I found that 3-325 was trying to be more like the Old Guard (Parade Brigade), and we spent a lot of time in the field, went to JRTC, Naval Amphibious Warfare School at Little Creek, and we went on a Company rafting trip to West Virginia within the first few weeks of me arriving. I think having the 110 GT requirement made for a better unit in many ways, and we had a lot of NCO's that were Panama and Desert Storm vets.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

where is your moptop?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about the hourglass.  They disbanded the whole 7th ID but I got one.

7th ID is back

Wa wa wahhhhhh? I was in the last 7th ID unit to go into a combat zone.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n128/mazawakhan/somm.jpg

where is your moptop?

We took them off since we were wearing desert bdu's.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#8]
" />

I used to wear this on my uniform, but then they disallowed it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag25/armedcurmudgeon/index_zps20559f6e.jpg</a>" />

I used to wear this on my uniform, but then they disallowed it.
View Quote
Which I think was bullshit, not allowing you to wear it that is.

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#10]
^^^
6595th Shuttle Test Group.

Wish I could find my dad's old style 10th Mtn. Div patch and post it
Also, no Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club?
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

When was that? We always called Echo Company "Echo Fags", and Alpha Company "Wigs".

I never had any intention of going to The Old Guard, but it was my ticket to becoming 11B versus 11M, and I met the requirements, passed the background screening, etc.

I always heard about what it was like to be in a "real unit" while I was there, but to be honest, it was actually a good unit in many ways. I found that 3-325 was trying to be more like the Old Guard (Parade Brigade), and we spent a lot of time in the field, went to JRTC, Naval Amphibious Warfare School at Little Creek, and we went on a Company rafting trip to West Virginia within the first few weeks of me arriving. I think having the 110 GT requirement made for a better unit in many ways, and we had a lot of NCO's that were Panama and Desert Storm vets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1974......We never called ourselves 'E Company', it was always called 'Honor Guard Company' or just 'Honor Guard'. At that time we were the only ones authorized to wear the Honor Guard tab.

What Company were you in, Charley Guard? Did they still wear the Charley Guard thingy hanging off their right pocket on their fatigues?

Was the Key Bridge Sub shop open when you were there? Did you get your dress shoes and jump boots built up at the little shoe repair place across 50 from the barracks?

How about Field Training at Camp AP Hill?
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#13]
My friend Sid was wearing this patch

While he was earning this

on Hill 700 in Bougainville.

After recovering from his injuries, he rejoined and led his company as they retook Manila.

Helluva guy.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Really, when? 2000-2002 for me

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every one knows the most common army unit patches like 1st Cav, 3rd ID and 82nd airborne.  Lets see if anyone can identify one of my old units.  And lets see some of your rare unit patches.

http://www.flyingtigerssurplus.com/product-images/lg/P3160VF_lg.jpg

http://www.flyingtigerssurplus.com/product-images/std/P3160.jpg
I used to wear that one.  

Really, when? 2000-2002 for me

1995-1998. Friend of mine was deployed with them around 04 or 05. You might know him. I think he was in C Co, 16th Sig.

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

1974......We never called ourselves 'E Company', it was always called 'Honor Guard Company' or just 'Honor Guard'. At that time we were the only ones authorized to wear the Honor Guard tab.

What Company were you in, Charley Guard? Did they still wear the Charley Guard thingy hanging off their right pocket on their fatigues?

Was the Key Bridge Sub shop open when you were there? Did you get your dress shoes and jump boots built up at the little shoe repair place across 50 from the barracks?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1974 was 20 years before I got there. Echo Company was still called "Honor Guard", and they had some of the specialty platoons:

* Tomb Guards
* US Army Drill Team
* Continental Color Guard (CCG)

Everyone in the Old Guard wore the Honor Guard tab above the MDW SSI.

I started in Bravo Company, then after a year, I was able to go to the Recon Platoon, which was in Hotel Company.
Don't know anything about a Key Bridge sub shop. Our Corfams were built up at CIF. Jump boots were never part of any of the uniforms when I was there. We had our own press shops in the barracks, and spent an unholy amount of time on the 100% wool blues uniforms. I had to buy a stinking bench grinder, then outfit it with buffer pads to polish my brass, which took an hour alone, for an entry-level PFC with a National Defense Service Medal, nothing else.  Every moment I spent was basically suffering until I could get into a unit totally focused on training and deployments.

When I told my Team Leader that I wanted to go to the Recon Platoon, he said, "You don't want to go with those guys. They just do OPFOR, shoot AK's, and set off a bunch of demo." That just made me want to go there more, and it was even better than that once I got into the Recon (Scout Sniper) platoon.

We spent quite a bit of time at Fort AP Hill, actually. Initially, it was always truck assault, but later on, someone at Battalion had a love for everything Air Assault, so we did a lot of PZ posture in front of the family housing apartments, then flew to AP Hill in UH-1's from Fort Belvoir's Aviation unit.

This is flying into D.C.:

Pics at AP Hill with B Co, 1st Platoon:

We had an NBC NCO who thought it was cool to use 10x the amount of CS when doing the annual CS chamber, and it hung to the MOPP suits as guys got on the trucks to go back to Ft. Myer. The trucks ended up being worse than the chamber due to the persistence of the CS.

Summerall Field, 1994 B Co

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My grandpaps unit in WWII......86 Inf. Div. "BLACKHAWKS"

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/bp739/86IDINS_zps2711af4c.gif
View Quote

Wore that patch for the first couple years of my Reserve career after leaving the RA.  It was the 86th ARCOM then.  Hated the patch, and wasn't particularly fond of the ARCOM.

It was the patch on our uniforms when my detachment reported to Bragg for mobilization for Desert Storm.   Command of our unit had been transferred to a brand new headquarters that had been stood up at Bragg just weeks earlier, and the new patches had just arrived at the Clothing Sales.  Our detachment had a small, very informal ceremony as we removed the BH patches and replaced them with this one:

The guys in my detachment were among the very first to start wearing this patch.  When we arrived in theater, the folks in our sister units were still wearing the 1st SOCOM patch. Many of them asked what the new patch was, and several were quite surprised when I told them that it was now their patch too. I wore it for the rest of my career ( 13 years).
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wore that patch for the first couple years of my Reserve career after leaving the RA.  It was the 86th ARCOM then.  Hated the patch, and wasn't particularly fond of the ARCOM.

It was the patch on our uniforms when my detachment reported to Bragg for mobilization for Desert Storm.   Command of our unit had been transferred to a brand new headquarters that had been stood up at Bragg just weeks earlier, and the new patches had just arrived at the Clothing Sales.  Our detachment had a small, very informal ceremony as we removed the BH patches and replaced them with this one:

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u21/George_in_Wis/495af9cc-50c4-4f57-a5c0-429967f1aedd_zps4616af39.jpg

The guys in my detachment were among the very first to start wearing this patch.  When we arrived in theater, the folks in our sister units were still wearing the 1st SOCOM patch. Many of them asked what the new patch was, and several were quite surprised when I told them that it was now their patch too. I wore it for the rest of my career ( 13 years).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u21/George_in_Wis/495af9cc-50c4-4f57-a5c0-429967f1aedd_zps4616af39.jpg

I recognized that one right away....Civil Affairs & PSYOPS
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, not so rare.  It was quite a number of years before many people recognized it, though.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

1974 was 20 years before I got there. Echo Company was still called "Honor Guard", and they had some of the specialty platoons:

* Tomb Guards
* US Army Drill Team

I started in Bravo Company, then after a year, I was able to go to the Recon Platoon, which was in Hotel Company.
Don't know anything about a Key Bridge sub shop. Our Corfams were built up at CIF. Jump boots were never part of any of the uniforms when I was there. We had our own press shops in the barracks, and spent an unholy amount of time on the 100% wool blues uniforms. I had to buy a stinking bench grinder, then outfit it with buffer pads to polish my brass, which took an hour alone, for an entry-level PFC with a National Defense Service Medal, nothing else.  Every moment I spent was basically suffering until I could get into a unit totally focused on training and deployments.

When I told my Team Leader that I wanted to go to the Recon Platoon, he said, "You don't want to go with those guys. They just do OPFOR, shoot AK's, and set off a bunch of demo." That just made me want to go there more, and it was even better than that once I got into the Recon (Scout Sniper) platoon.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/1-3INFRegScouts1995_0002_zps29d47fb7.jpg

We spent quite a bit of time at Fort AP Hill, actually. Initially, it was always truck assault, but later on, someone at Battalion had a love for everything Air Assault, so we did a lot of PZ posture in front of the family housing apartments, then flew to AP Hill in UH-1's from Fort Belvoir's Aviation unit.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/1-3INFRegScouts1995_0015_zps02043c30.jpg

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/3rdUSINF1994FortAPHill_0001_zps62baf15f.jpg

We had an NBC NCO who thought it was cool to use 10x the amount of CS when doing the annual CS chamber, and it hung to the MOPP suits as guys got on the trucks to go back to Ft. Myer. The trucks ended up being worse than the chamber due to the persistence of the CS.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/3rdUSINF1994FortMyer_0002_zps50432d3b.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

* Tomb Guards
* US Army Drill Team

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/1-3INFRegScouts1995_0002_zps29d47fb7.jpg

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/1-3INFRegScouts1995_0015_zps02043c30.jpg

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/3rdUSINF1994FortAPHill_0001_zps62baf15f.jpg

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/3rdUSINF1994FortMyer_0002_zps50432d3b.jpg

I'm currently old guard
Summerall looks exactly the same
So does AP hill
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Remember the Silver Dollar Saloon, or the Rock Fabrik?

Speaking of Augsburg:

http://www.militaryuniformsupply.com/files/products/6/66th-military-intelligence-brigade-patch-subdued.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/17FABdeSSI.jpg

Everybody seemed to think this was a National Guard patch.

17th FA Bde. I was in 1/36FA, Reese Kaserne, Augsburg FRG

Reese, Quartermaster, Flak and Sheridan.... Good times!

Yes, very, very good times.

Remember the Silver Dollar Saloon, or the Rock Fabrik?

Speaking of Augsburg:

http://www.militaryuniformsupply.com/files/products/6/66th-military-intelligence-brigade-patch-subdued.jpg

Ah, the Rock Fabrik....I remember some of it...
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#21]
What about rare variations of unit patches?
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

The entire time I was in the army I was told about what it was like "in a real unit."

2ID Korea didn't count because--it was Korea (and Mech Inf)
1ID (light) didn't count because it was a brand new unit that just stood up...

I never did find that "real unit"
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The entire time I was in the army I was told about what it was like "in a real unit."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The two best units in the Army................

The one you just left and one you are going to.

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wore this one.

http://i43.tinypic.com/dw86pw.jpg
View Quote

I knew a 1st Sgt that had that combat patch when I was in.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth in this, 11 years...I'm still looking too

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Under your "Unknown" list, the M.F. is MIKE Force (Vietnam).  From Wiki:

The Mobile Strike Force Command, or MIKE Force, was a key component of United States Army Special Forces in the Vietnam War. They served with indigenous soldiers selected and trained through the largely minority Civilian Irregular Defense Group (CIDG) and were led by American SF and Australian Army Training Team Personnel AATTV. MIKE Force was a force multiplier, operating what is today called a Foreign Internal Defense mission.

MIKE Force was composed of the persecuted Degar, Bahnar, Hmong, Nung, Jarai, Khmer Krom, and Montagnards. MIKE Force was active under MACV, Army Special Forces, from 1964 to 1970 and under ARVN until 1974. MIKE Force waged special warfare against the Viet Minh, NLF (Viet Cong), and PAVN (North Vietnamese Army) oppressors in various detachments, volunteering in support of MIKE Force missions.

MIKE Force's mission was to act as a country-wide quick reaction force for securing, reinforcing, and recapturing CIDG A Camps, as well as to conduct special reconnaissance patrols. Search and rescue and search and destroy missions were also assigned. The conventional unit alternative to Special Forces detachments like MIKE was Tiger Force, which was primarily tasked with counter-guerrilla warfare against enemies from behind their lines that emphasized body-count rather than force multiplication.

MIKE Force had a critical role in the search and rescue of downed American pilots because they were mobile and often in close proximity to the DMZ. MIKE Force also designated drop zones, landing zones, called in air strikes on high value targets, and collected intelligence during recons, much like the LRRPs.

In 1970 MIKE Force was disbanded after Vietnamization ruined the loyalty of the indigenous personnel when SF were ordered to abandon them to the command of the South Vietnamese. While many Montagnards were Christian, they were still looked down upon by the Vietnamese and referred to as savages. In 1974 what indigenous personnel of the MIKE Forces remained in Vietnam were, along with their tribes of origin, systematically hunted down and murdered by the North Vietnamese when they took over the South. Some Hmong, Nung, Montagnard, and other groups still escape and evade persecution in Vietnam while struggling for independence, much like the people of Burma who were left by Detachment 101 when, like Det. 101, MACV was ordered home by the President.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mobile Guerrilla Force
http://vietnam-militaria.com/pics/patch-tf957-mg-front.jpg

SOG
https://www.vetfriends.com/catalog/images/3710_Army_MACV_SOG_Hat_lapel_Pin_2.jpg

RT Hawaii
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/761ed75e0.jpg

RT Hunter
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/75a56cc20.jpg

RT Louisiana
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/76225c900.jpg

RT Vermont
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/75ad92c20.jpg

Special Commando Unit (SCU)
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/38f357900.jpg

Mike Force
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/634e11900.jpg

Project Mule Train
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/31f42e900.jpg

1st Special Forces Group(Airborne)
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/75082c230.jpg

ODA-115, Company A, 1st Battalion, 1st SF GP(ABN) Psychological Operations
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/6a3b4dc20.jpg

ODA-125, Company B, 1st Battalion, 1st SF GP(ABN)
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/6b516f900.jpg

ODA 533, C/1/5th SF Gp(ABN)
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/78b72c3d0.jpg

ODA-553, 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne),
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/70ac665e0.jpg

7th Special Forces Group (Airborne)
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/70ae0d260.jpg

ODA 17/18, 3rd BN, 7th SF GP
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/60b62a2c0.jpg

SCUBA Personnel, 3rd Battalion 7th SF GP(ABN)
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/62f490900.jpg

ODA-7, 3rd Battalion (Project), 7th Special Forces Group(Airborne)
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/7b7a9b900.jpg

10th Special Forces Group's 'Crash Hawk'
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/6a34d42c0.jpg

10th Special Forces Group
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/6faf0d2c0.jpg

4th Infantry "IVY" Division LRRP patch (pre-1968)
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/7ce691900.jpg

24th Infantry Division Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/7d5249900.jpg

199th Light Infantry Brigade RECONDO
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/7cd862650.jpg

5th Special Forces MACV RECONDO Qualification Badge
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/7773435e0.jpg

MACV RECONDO
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/7c6797900.jpg

unknown:
http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/6abbf8c80.jpg

http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/71d4285e0.jpg

http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/7b9621900.jpg

http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/7c5748900.jpg

http://www.ljmilitaria.com/armygroundforcespatches/7cad2d580.jpg

Under your "Unknown" list, the M.F. is MIKE Force (Vietnam).  From Wiki:

The Mobile Strike Force Command, or MIKE Force, was a key component of United States Army Special Forces in the Vietnam War. They served with indigenous soldiers selected and trained through the largely minority Civilian Irregular Defense Group (CIDG) and were led by American SF and Australian Army Training Team Personnel AATTV. MIKE Force was a force multiplier, operating what is today called a Foreign Internal Defense mission.

MIKE Force was composed of the persecuted Degar, Bahnar, Hmong, Nung, Jarai, Khmer Krom, and Montagnards. MIKE Force was active under MACV, Army Special Forces, from 1964 to 1970 and under ARVN until 1974. MIKE Force waged special warfare against the Viet Minh, NLF (Viet Cong), and PAVN (North Vietnamese Army) oppressors in various detachments, volunteering in support of MIKE Force missions.

MIKE Force's mission was to act as a country-wide quick reaction force for securing, reinforcing, and recapturing CIDG A Camps, as well as to conduct special reconnaissance patrols. Search and rescue and search and destroy missions were also assigned. The conventional unit alternative to Special Forces detachments like MIKE was Tiger Force, which was primarily tasked with counter-guerrilla warfare against enemies from behind their lines that emphasized body-count rather than force multiplication.

MIKE Force had a critical role in the search and rescue of downed American pilots because they were mobile and often in close proximity to the DMZ. MIKE Force also designated drop zones, landing zones, called in air strikes on high value targets, and collected intelligence during recons, much like the LRRPs.

In 1970 MIKE Force was disbanded after Vietnamization ruined the loyalty of the indigenous personnel when SF were ordered to abandon them to the command of the South Vietnamese. While many Montagnards were Christian, they were still looked down upon by the Vietnamese and referred to as savages. In 1974 what indigenous personnel of the MIKE Forces remained in Vietnam were, along with their tribes of origin, systematically hunted down and murdered by the North Vietnamese when they took over the South. Some Hmong, Nung, Montagnard, and other groups still escape and evade persecution in Vietnam while struggling for independence, much like the people of Burma who were left by Detachment 101 when, like Det. 101, MACV was ordered home by the President.

Thanks for more intel regarding mike force! It makes me wonder if we have something like that today
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Here is a newer one - Most people have no fucking clue what it is

http://www.worldmilitary.org/img/3651583341-alpha_units_patches_us_army.jpg
View Quote

Easy one for me... Asymmetric Warfare Group.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#28]
The patch in the OP is my combat patch, 3rd Signal Bde, Fort Hood - now deactivated.

http://m.kdhnews.com/news/final-active-duty-signal-brigade-cases-colors-at-fort-hood/article_fe042288-f20a-58d9-80c9-74245a9a10a3.html?mode=jqm

Went to OIF 06-08 with them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The patch in the OP is my combat patch, 3rd Signal Bde, Fort Hood - now deactivated.

http://m.kdhnews.com/news/final-active-duty-signal-brigade-cases-colors-at-fort-hood/article_fe042288-f20a-58d9-80c9-74245a9a10a3.html?mode=jqm

View Quote
What battalion? When did 16th Sig deactivate?

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#30]

US MILGROUP
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Lightening Quick Chicken Fucker  - ASA - Army Security Agency.

I could tell you about  it but then I'd have to kill you.

Still got the secret decoder ring

Quoted:

Been awhile since I looked in the back of this closet of mine

http://i.imgur.com/RgjSqs7.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This doesn't exist anymore but a lot of veterans have it on the right shoulder of the uniform hanging up in their closet.

http://www.medalsofamerica.com/ItemImages/Large/P116.jpg

Although there are many veterans that served in a war zone doing a job represented by this patch (including the first Army combat death in Vietnam) you will never see it on the right shoulder of any veteran's uniform.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5468/7377694352_2312eb1462_z.jpg

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
197th Infantry Brigade, i wore this at benning 2009-2010
<a href="http://s953.photobucket.com/user/Bushmaster1984/media/150px-197thInfantryBrigade_zps29a424a4.png.html" target="_blank">http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae18/Bushmaster1984/150px-197thInfantryBrigade_zps29a424a4.png</a>

I remember the patch ceremony, it was at like 0530 or some nonsense down at the airfield
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
This doesn't exist anymore but a lot of veterans have it on the right shoulder of the uniform hanging up in their closet.

Although there are many veterans that served in a war zone doing a job represented by this patch (including the first Army combat death in Vietnam) you will never see it on the right shoulder of any veteran's uniform.

talk talk talk all you do is talk,,, you post whore
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone been stationed at Hertzo base?  Played the Iron Trees golf course or  been to Det A???

The chair is against the wall. John has a long Mustache. FBHOB

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#35]
The exploding asshole, I doubt it's rare.

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This says the 16th deactivated in May of '06.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Signal_Brigade_(United_States)

I think we stayed in their barracks on Ft Hood in July of '06 for MOB.

I was IRR and attached to the 324th Signal, a reserve unit from Ga and SC.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was wondering if you guys could give me any more background on this one and variants.  

My dad has never talked much about his service beyond the very basics - that he signed-up for the Marines to serve in Vietnam.  He takes pride in the Marine Corps, but isn't one to publicize it.  He doesn't wear USMC ball caps, or hang his medals up on the wall.  When I was a kid he gave me his hat and sword and a box of pins, service ribbons and medals he had been awarded so that I could play soldier with them.  I later figured out that among the medals were included a 1st Lieutenant's insignias.

We were moving one time and I came across some old things of his including some paperwork indicating he finished his basic training late in '67 and also various items referring to 1st Marine Division Reconnaissance.  I asked him about it and he confirmed what it said, but he didn't elaborate.

Also among his things were a wooden plaque (maybe 18'' x 18'') with a brass inlay that (based on my memory of it) looked very much like what you posted above.

He also had a bag full of these challenge coins that look very similar to what you posted above.

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I was wondering if you guys could give me any more background on this one and variants.  

My dad has never talked much about his service beyond the very basics - that he signed-up for the Marines to serve in Vietnam.  He takes pride in the Marine Corps, but isn't one to publicize it.  He doesn't wear USMC ball caps, or hang his medals up on the wall.  When I was a kid he gave me his hat and sword and a box of pins, service ribbons and medals he had been awarded so that I could play soldier with them.  I later figured out that among the medals were included a 1st Lieutenant's insignias.

We were moving one time and I came across some old things of his including some paperwork indicating he finished his basic training late in '67 and also various items referring to 1st Marine Division Reconnaissance.  I asked him about it and he confirmed what it said, but he didn't elaborate.

Also among his things were a wooden plaque (maybe 18'' x 18'') with a brass inlay that (based on my memory of it) looked very much like what you posted above.

He also had a bag full of these challenge coins that look very similar to what you posted above.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That 1st Group unofficial patch appears to be from when the Group was operating out of Okinawa during the Vietnam War. They were there much earlier than most Americans will ever know.

The connection that would make the most sense would be if Marine Force Recon attended the Nha Trang Recondo School, which taught Long Range Reconnaissance Patrolling to LRRP's, Force, and SF. SF actually conducted Airborne Training for Force Recon Marines at Okinawa as well:

The company sergeant major several of us to be an instructors in a three week Basic Airborne Course that the 1st Group was about to conduct. They assigned me to be a platoon cadre and I also worked the 34 foot tower during tower training and acted as jumpmaster during jump week. Most of the students in my platoon were Marine Force Recon troops from Vietnam, I only had a handful of army soldiers and one air force captain. Those poor marines came straight from Vietnam wearing filthy jungle fatigues. The clothes they wore was all they had with them. They had no spare uniforms nor helmets, packs, etc. Jump school administration guys saw to it that they got the clothing and equipment that they needed to attend the course. How, I don’t know. Like everything else in SF they just somehow managed to do it.

http://www.don-valentine.com/1st%20Group%20and%20MACVSOG.htm
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Heres a couple from when I was in teh 31st SOS out of Osan RoK and one from the 18th wing in Okinawa</a>" /></a>" /></a>" />
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are quite a few of us in the thread.

Funny, no one is claiming the Puzzle Palace these days...wonder why?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Went to the PP one time when I was in Honor Guard, for an Arrival Ceremony..... Were all ready when we got the word they were going to be delayed by an hour or so......

We spread out in groups of 2-3 20-30' apart on the main entrance... Gave every Officer a Sharp Salute & Good Morning Sir or Ma'am....

Much fun was had making them all return our Salutes...........You could tell many of them didn't want to have to Salute all of us.......

Proper Military Courtesy can be used as a Weapon..........

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top