BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did someone say thrown track? I broke the shit out of it.

Hohenfels, circa 1980.

http://www.narruc.net/Public/pix/m60a1.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ever have to change a #1-position torsion bar?  How about breaking a rear torsion bar, and having the fragments puncture the fuel tank?  OH FUCKING JOY...I'd rather swap out final drives or install a new seal on the driver's escape hatch instead....

Of course. Any M60-series tanker routinely broke torsion bars. #1 and #6 usually resulted in thrown track. Though any broken torsion bar made that a likely event. We threw track/broke track a LOT more on the 60-series.

It really was a revelation going to M1's. It had to have been like when pilots went from props to jets. This is like considering bringing back the Douglas A-1 Skyraider.

The problem with the M60A3 isn't that the 105mm main gun is inadequate. Nor is 200 extra horsepower going to bring that platform up to modern standards. The problem is the entire package. You can't put radial tires and a tiny turbocharger on a 1961 Porsche 356b and expect those changes to make it competitive in the 2016 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Hohenfels, circa 1980.

Oh shit...
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Hohenfels, circa 1980.
View Quote

That picture reminds me of an incident.

Let's just say that draping one's fartsack over the Hoffman device to air it out is a bad idea. Particularly if there is a possibility of OPFOR aggression anytime in the immediate future.

Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I wanted to be a tanker when i enlisted, but then the recruiter found out that my parents were married when i was concieved  so i was disqualified.
View Quote

I laughed...You fucker....
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Question for our resident tank experts.  Why does the barrel have that profile, with the larger diameter section?  

View Quote
Bore evacuator.  Keeps the gas from firing from venting back through the breech into the tank.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wanted to be a tanker when i enlisted, but then the recruiter found out that my parents were married when i was concieved  so i was disqualified.
View Quote

Well, you can't spell worth a fuck, so I'm guessing you were 71L.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#6]
As a D8 Master Gunner, I feel eminently qualified to agree with Sumo6's  assessment.
</a>" />

</a>" />

You really cannot have Aft Caps bouncing around next to the 13 rd ready rack shown above.

And the suspension is not going to handle the 950 HP motor and I saw nothing in the article about suspension up grades...
And yeah, you have not lived until you have to replace a broken torsion bar with a sledge and the tankers bar.

But like another poster said, this has been done several times before.. these upgrades are not meant for the US market, this was always meant for foreign sales.

I have no problem selling these to over sea's customers, so when they turn them on us, it will make it easier to smoke check them.

" />

The Autobahn seat was pretty awesome for radio watch though....
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I miss the A1 we had

<a href="http://s487.photobucket.com/user/oscardeuce/media/855D906A-0015-43A2-AD58-AC8572193616_zpslsas4l6u.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/oscardeuce/855D906A-0015-43A2-AD58-AC8572193616_zpslsas4l6u.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s487.photobucket.com/user/oscardeuce/media/DDFA2BE7-EE3A-400B-8A19-97071FD10AC1_zpsrpxfmarp.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/oscardeuce/DDFA2BE7-EE3A-400B-8A19-97071FD10AC1_zpsrpxfmarp.jpg</a>
View Quote

Is that Robert Morgan and his wife in the first picture?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I miss the A1 we had

<a href="http://s487.photobucket.com/user/oscardeuce/media/855D906A-0015-43A2-AD58-AC8572193616_zpslsas4l6u.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/oscardeuce/855D906A-0015-43A2-AD58-AC8572193616_zpslsas4l6u.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s487.photobucket.com/user/oscardeuce/media/DDFA2BE7-EE3A-400B-8A19-97071FD10AC1_zpsrpxfmarp.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/oscardeuce/DDFA2BE7-EE3A-400B-8A19-97071FD10AC1_zpsrpxfmarp.jpg</a>

Yes, I gave him his first tank ride in that tank.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:05:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I hear Germany is low on tanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wonder who the buyer would be....Taiwan?

Oh,they have plenty of armor...

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of good pics. Keep 'em coming!
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#12]
M60s -- not just for reefs any more...

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I saw an M3 grease gun! I remember seeing plenty of them at Hood.

I wasn't a tanker so I didn't get to mess with any.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're not missing anything...we were ecstatic when we traded those stamped pieces of dog shit in for M16A2s.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You're not missing anything...we were ecstatic when we traded those stamped pieces of dog shit in for M16A2s.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto

All we ever did was fam-fire with them. If there was any sort of qualification on those I'm not aware of it. Damn hard to hit anything with them.

My first PSG said "Aim at the crotch. Anything longer than a three-shot burst and you'll be shooting over the target." And he was right.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You sure did!

Definitely 1980 as no smoke dischargers nor MILES gear to accompany the Hoffmann device....

Ever attach a length of comm wire to the bare wire ends of the Hoffmann charges, then connect to a 9-volt battery?  Makes for an AWESOME flash-bang!  We used to do that to flush out cornered OPFOR guys....the only fun involving MILES gear!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hohenfels, circa 1980.

You sure did!

Definitely 1980 as no smoke dischargers nor MILES gear to accompany the Hoffmann device....

Ever attach a length of comm wire to the bare wire ends of the Hoffmann charges, then connect to a 9-volt battery?  Makes for an AWESOME flash-bang!  We used to do that to flush out cornered OPFOR guys....the only fun involving MILES gear!

Those were "new" 1st gen Rise Passive models we received right after I arrived in Germany at the end of '78. My unit (3/64 AR) still had A2s when I got there. In addition to getting a real gun, the M240 was a helluva coax replacement for the M73/219.

I didn't see MILES gear until after I PCS'd to Ft Riley. We were possibly one of the first units to try them as I remember a bunch of manufacturer reps (retired tankers) going out with us the first time.

And with a judicious application of electrical tape those Hoffman charges would go off under water.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

" />

You can't go all 'Dirty Dozen" with a M16A2..... Eat Lead Commies......
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The Poles are serious as a heart attack about their tank arm and they won't buy Russian so they have to look at other countries who build a good tank that they can actually afford more than 12 of. Leos were at a (ridiculously) reasonable price point for them but if that dries up they'll have to look elsewhere for MBTs and I don't think they would be willing to pay what France or the UK would charge for theirs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Poland, Czech Republic, Ukraine, Georgia. . . . . .

Baits won't buy it, Poles probably don't need it, perhaps the others.

The Poles are serious as a heart attack about their tank arm and they won't buy Russian so they have to look at other countries who build a good tank that they can actually afford more than 12 of. Leos were at a (ridiculously) reasonable price point for them but if that dries up they'll have to look elsewhere for MBTs and I don't think they would be willing to pay what France or the UK would charge for theirs.

The Poles won't buy Russian, but they don't have a problem producing their own upgraded version of the T-72.

PT-91 Twardy

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Every time I read an article about bringing back old weapons systems, it makes me sad. Why can't we have NEW things? Half the planes in the Air Force are 100 years old, the Army has ancient vehicles, why aren't we buying new, clean sheet designs? It really can't cost that much more than maintaining out of date stuff.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I liked the General Dynamics Land Systems M60-120 (aka M60-2000) upgrade proposal much better. They completely replaced the M60 turret with the turret/gun of the M1A1 and made engine, transmission and suspension upgrades. You could take an existing M60 tank and upgrade it to the M60-120 standard for about $2.5 million, which is well less than half the cost for a new build M1A2 Abrams. If I were going to consider modernizing the M60 tank for use against current threats, the M60-120 would be much more survivable. The M60 turret sucks and must be replaced along with the 105mm gun for it to stand a chance against modern MBTs.

If it is Russia we are concerned about here...and that is my take based on the mention of the T-90 and T-14, then we should pull whatever M60s we have out of storage, donate them to Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria and let them upgrade them to the M60-120 standard. They could buy about 2.5 of them for the same cost as a single new build Abrams or Leopard would cost, yet still retain 80+% of the capability. The M60-120 would be far more capable than the shitty ass T-55 and T-72 variants some of those nations currently use.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:39:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Every time I read an article about bringing back old weapons systems, it makes me sad. Why can't we have NEW things? Half the planes in the Air Force are 100 years old, the Army has ancient vehicles, why aren't we buying new, clean sheet designs? It really can't cost that much more than maintaining out of date stuff.
View Quote

F-35
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:55:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Of course. Any M60-series tanker routinely broke torsion bars. #1 and #6 usually resulted in thrown track. Though any broken torsion bar made that a likely event. We threw track/broke track a LOT more on the 60-series.

It really was a revelation going to M1's. It had to have been like when pilots went from props to jets. This is like considering bringing back the Douglas A-1 Skyraider.

The problem with the M60A3 isn't that the 105mm main gun is inadequate. Nor is 200 extra horsepower going to bring that platform up to modern standards. The problem is the entire package. You can't put radial tires and a tiny turbocharger on a 1961 Porsche 356b and expect those changes to make it competitive in the 2016 24 Hours of Le Mans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ever have to change a #1-position torsion bar?  How about breaking a rear torsion bar, and having the fragments puncture the fuel tank?  OH FUCKING JOY...I'd rather swap out final drives or install a new seal on the driver's escape hatch instead....

I think you might be missing the point, these wouldn't be for us.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 12:10:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was a Tanker and I never saw one except in the manuals.  I used to drive M60A3's, they were quite the beasts but don't hold a candle to M1's.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:28:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I like it.

Wish they would make a new tank though. The next war is probably not going to be in Europe.

I'd like to see a smaller Sherman style tank that could be taken down for overseas or air transport, ready made to assemble quickly once a beach head has been established. I  believe that large numbers of light easily  transportable and easily rebuilt tanks would be better. I mean if we are going to seriously project force over seas, we should have a small tank that is purpose designed to be transported by barge and transport plane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I like it.

Wish they would make a new tank though. The next war is probably not going to be in Europe.

I'd like to see a smaller Sherman style tank that could be taken down for overseas or air transport, ready made to assemble quickly once a beach head has been established. I  believe that large numbers of light easily  transportable and easily rebuilt tanks would be better. I mean if we are going to seriously project force over seas, we should have a small tank that is purpose designed to be transported by barge and transport plane.

We already made one. M8.

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:28:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The M60A1 would have been great if they had left that ridiculous mini turret off it and used a regular commanders cupola like the Israeli retrofits.

Mini turrets infested many of the 1950-1970 US armor designs and they are just worthless.
View Quote

world of tanks player?
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:52:09 AM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like it.

We already made one. M8.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/morolesnick/id_m8ags_10_600_zps36b0e3c0.jpg

Yup. And it got cancelled. Only a tiny handful of prototypes made.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#27]
BTW, what countries that currently operate M60 variants might face a threat from T-90s? The answer to that question will likely tell us who Raytheon is marketing this upgrade to.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Weren't they already killing machines?  Still pretty effective too, USMC M60's raped Iraqi armor just about as hard as Abrams did.  Hmm, wonder if there's a study comparing actual combat effectiveness between the two.

Wiki:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
"Raytheon Can Turn Old American-Made M60A3 Tanks Into Killing Machines"

Weren't they already killing machines?  Still pretty effective too, USMC M60's raped Iraqi armor just about as hard as Abrams did.  Hmm, wonder if there's a study comparing actual combat effectiveness between the two.

Wiki:
In early February 1991, US Marines used 200 M60A1s of the 2nd Battalion drove north from Khafji, Saudi Arabia into Kuwait. In Kuwait, they encountered an Iraqi force of T-54/55, Type 69, and T-72 tanks at Kuwait City International Airport. The Marines won this battle, destroying some 100 Iraqi tanks with only one M60A1 lost

2nd Tank Bn had M1A1s, as did the two companies (Companies, "B" from Yakistan WA and "C" from Amarillo TX and Boise ID) from 4th Tank Bn attached to it.

1st, 3rd, and 8th Tank Battalions had M60A1s with ERA.  Co. "A" 4th Tanks was aboard ship IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hohenfels, circa 1980.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hohenfels, circa 1980.

AHHHHHH PTSD FLASHBACK!!!!

I am so glad I barely missed the M60 era.  Started on M1's in OSUT, went to Germany and got on M1A1's, went to war in one, gave it to the motherfucking goat licking boy fucking sister raping piece of shit asshole cum guzzling fucktard Saudis.  Returned to Germany tankless.    Then got to the states and got back on M1A1's.

Breaking track was rare in an M1 series and not too terrible to replace.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you you fucking fuck!

And enjoy your cold chow.  And if you get behind my tank to warm up I'll Tac Idle your ass.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/24/article-2612347-1D517BC900000578-225_964x639.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/24/article-2612347-1D51771C00000578-128_964x637.jpg

Top pic is of Marders - an IFV, not a tank.  As I understand it, the Germans have pretty much sold off all their Leopards as surplus to various countries and only have a couple hundred left for their own use.  Now that they are making a half assed attempt at adding back some more troops, there are questions as to where the extra tanks are going to come from, though I believe the production line is still technically open.

-K
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I liked the General Dynamics Land Systems M60-120 (aka M60-2000) upgrade proposal much better. They completely replaced the M60 turret with the turret/gun of the M1A1 and made engine, transmission and suspension upgrades. You could take an existing M60 tank and upgrade it to the M60-120 standard for about $2.5 million, which is well less than half the cost for a new build M1A2 Abrams. If I were going to consider modernizing the M60 tank for use against current threats, the M60-120 would be much more survivable. The M60 turret sucks and must be replaced along with the 105mm gun for it to stand a chance against modern MBTs.

http://www.military-today.com/tanks/120s_l1.jpg

http://i59.fastpic.ru/big/2013/1029/11/e262d8ed673df90cdc9404b804f57611.jpg

http://i51.servimg.com/u/f51/12/81/73/00/m60-2010.jpg

If it is Russia we are concerned about here...and that is my take based on the mention of the T-90 and T-14, then we should pull whatever M60s we have out of storage, donate them to Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria and let them upgrade them to the M60-120 standard. They could buy about 2.5 of them for the same cost as a single new build Abrams or Leopard would cost, yet still retain 80+% of the capability. The M60-120 would be far more capable than the shitty ass T-55 and T-72 variants some of those nations currently use.
View Quote

I think I kind of agree with this.  It's an interesting concept, though I wonder how it compares to the later model Israeli and Turkish mods in both capability and price.

I am also wondering, for all it's flaws on a modern battlefield against modern opposition, is an M-60A3 at least better than nothing if they can be rapidly and cheaply procured?

-K
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Top pic is of Marders - an IFV, not a tank.  As I understand it, the Germans have pretty much sold off all their Leopards as surplus to various countries and only have a couple hundred left for their own use.  Now that they are making a half assed attempt at adding back some more troops, there are questions as to where the extra tanks are going to come from, though I believe the production line is still technically open.

-K
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/24/article-2612347-1D517BC900000578-225_964x639.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/24/article-2612347-1D51771C00000578-128_964x637.jpg

-K

They can make new Leo IIA7+,but they're expensive. You're looking at 8-10 million USD a pop.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Only armor addition was a side skirt and some slat armor around the turret sides?

What can the base M60 turret armor stop?
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

2nd Tank Bn had M1A1s, as did the two companies (Companies, "B" from Yakistan WA and "C" from Amarillo TX and Boise ID) from 4th Tank Bn attached to it.

1st, 3rd, and 8th Tank Battalions had M60A1s with ERA.  Co. "A" 4th Tanks was aboard ship IIRC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Raytheon Can Turn Old American-Made M60A3 Tanks Into Killing Machines"

Wiki:
In early February 1991, US Marines used 200 M60A1s of the 2nd Battalion drove north from Khafji, Saudi Arabia into Kuwait. In Kuwait, they encountered an Iraqi force of T-54/55, Type 69, and T-72 tanks at Kuwait City International Airport. The Marines won this battle, destroying some 100 Iraqi tanks with only one M60A1 lost

Alpha Company 2nd Tank Battalion was in the 4th MEB, all had M60A1s.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
They can make new Leo IIA7+,but they're expensive. You're looking at 8-10 million USD a pop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-K

How much would this come down with a large order?

-K
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

-K
View Quote

They might push it to 7 mil a pop, but considering the cost of manufacturing in Germany I doubt they'd be able to push it further.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
They might push it to 7 mil a pop, but considering the cost of manufacturing in Germany I doubt they'd be able to push it further.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

-K

My German BIL installs and maintains Leo turret simulators around the world-he gets awesome per diem.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This x1,000,000!!!

I was a tanker in the Marines in the 1980s on M60A1s....the M60-series are VERY maintenance intensive, the Abrams series required a fraction of the maintenance of the M60s.  I still distinctly remember the transition from the M60A1 to the M1A1, it was night and day.  Not to mention downsizing from 5 tanks per platoon to only 4 with the M1A1s.

I was also an instructor on the AVLBs when the Marine Corps purchased them refurbished in the 1980s.  To this day I HATE working on PTO shafts and U-joints.

Leave the M60 dead and buried, by the time you re-engineer it, you'd be better off with a refurbished M1A2/M1A1 or Leopard 2.  Fuck the M60s.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm one of very few on this board with ARTEP and gunnery experience in M48A5, M60A3, M1IP and M1A1. That doesn't make me resident expert, but this is a topic I feel I know pretty well.

That said, fuck the M60A3. Leave that pile of shit in the past where it's antique ass belongs.

Fielding that fucking death trap on the modern battlefield would be a death sentence for the poor fucks shoved into them. Seriously, you'd have to beat my ass unconscious to get me in there with open storage of ammo for the 120. You'd have to padlock the hatches from the outside and I swear the first thing I'd do when I woke up is come hunting the assholes that got me in there.

Even if you retrofitted the sophisticated fire detection and suppression system from the M1 into it, it was never designed to carry the ammo for the 120. The M60 has open ready racks and turret floor ammo racks. To modernize this pile of shit into a half-assed modern MBT, you'd need to replace the turret entirely. You cannot safely store the combustible-cased ammo in open racks. It's unconscionable to even consider putting crews in that environment.

Beyond that, the M60 series are totally outclassed as MBTs when you consider vehicle profile and automotive abilities. Slow, loud, smoky, thin-skinned and REALLY tall. Tracking displacing M60's on the far side of a berm during force-on-force training was easy as hell. And IMO any country foolish enough to field those shitpiles is putting their national treasury at risk for the mountain of money they're going to have to invest in replacement torsion bars for those fuckers.

The M60A3 is dead and buried. It needs to stay that way.

This x1,000,000!!!

I was a tanker in the Marines in the 1980s on M60A1s....the M60-series are VERY maintenance intensive, the Abrams series required a fraction of the maintenance of the M60s.  I still distinctly remember the transition from the M60A1 to the M1A1, it was night and day.  Not to mention downsizing from 5 tanks per platoon to only 4 with the M1A1s.

I was also an instructor on the AVLBs when the Marine Corps purchased them refurbished in the 1980s.  To this day I HATE working on PTO shafts and U-joints.

Leave the M60 dead and buried, by the time you re-engineer it, you'd be better off with a refurbished M1A2/M1A1 or Leopard 2.  Fuck the M60s.

This should make you giggle then.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top