User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#1]
In that range?

Dodge 1500 Big Horn or equivalent.

The passenger compartment is huge and you have a nice truck bed for stuff.

Very good crash ratings and visibility because of height.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many kids does OP have? I thought it was one 6mo boy and many of you are talking about minivans. For one kid in a car seat and possibly two adults? That is crazy. My sister hauled her grandson around in a rear facing car seat in an … Impreza. There was plenty of room for him and three adults.

My nephew has a Forester. His daughter, wife and him had no trouble getting around all over the place in the Forester. That includes some long trips.

Assuming you bought one of those convertible car seats that grows with your kid, bring it with you when looking at cars. They normally take up the most room when the kid rides backwards. Try it in the car and you will be fine with most compact cars or larger. Just make sure it fits before you buy the car.
View Quote

I've got an Impreza wagon and a Sienna in my driveway, along with a 3500DRW.

The wagon is in fact just fine for one kid/carseat, the wife, and I, much better than a sedan. It's actually just fine with two kids, so long as you're only doing one major activity per outing. Try going to the zoo and then stopping at the grocery store and you'll wish you had more room.

The thing is, it's not just your kids. It's your kids friends, the carpool, grandma, camping gear, sports equipment, Costco runs, auntie whoever. Sometimes it's a couch, or a really cool crib at a garage sale, or even a few sheets of plywood. A van can handle at least several of those situations at the same time, SUV's really struggle.

My wife was adamant she wasn't going to drive a minivan, so we test drove all the the different SUVs first. Nothing seemed to suit (she's a little tough to buy a car for because she's short and busty) I was frustrated when she didn't like the 4runner when I said "look, there's a Sienna right there on the lot, lets drive it at least, look it over, if you don't like it then we can choose from these other options you don't like." She said "Fine, but it's a waste of time, I'm not going to buy it."

Like I said, I have a Sienna in my driveway. By the time the test drive was over it was all she wanted.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

More room for 2 adults and 3 kids, I can tow my Jeep with it. V8 power and v8 fuel mileage (as opposed to v6 power and v8 mileage). Transverse mounted engine blow to work on. The highlander is noisy on the highway and I hate the steering feel and handling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Toyota Highlander is hard to beat for a "family" vehicle.

A buddy of mine picked one of those up last year, after a mo th he wished he would have gotten the sequia

My wife and I both hate our Highlander, I regret not just buying the Tahoe like we wanted to do.

What advantage does the Tahoe have over the Highlander? Unless you're towing, I only see disadvantages.

More room for 2 adults and 3 kids, I can tow my Jeep with it. V8 power and v8 fuel mileage (as opposed to v6 power and v8 mileage). Transverse mounted engine blow to work on. The highlander is noisy on the highway and I hate the steering feel and handling.

The OP is asking about a family car. I doubt he's towing a Jeep around and while we're on the topic, why are you towing your Jeep?

I get around 25 mpg hwy and 20 around town or country roads. My Ram 2500 5.7 V-8 and Tundra 5.7 V-8 aren't even in the same stadium, much less in the same game. No way you come close to that in a Tahoe or Suburban. Power and acceleration wise, a Highlander will smoke any of them. It handles like a sports sedan as well and has a huge cargo area with 3rd row seats down. Cavernous with 2nd and 3rd down. Lastly it's way easier for women to park and navigate tight parking lots. Way more important for a family mobile than towing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The OP is asking about a family car. I doubt he's towing a Jeep around and while we're on the topic, why are you towing your Jeep?

I get around 25 mpg hwy and 20 around town or country roads. My Ram 2500 5.7 V-8 and Tundra 5.7 V-8 aren't even in the same stadium, much less in the same game. No way you come close to that in a Tahoe or Suburban. Power and acceleration wise, a Highlander will smoke any of them. It handles like a sports sedan as well and has a huge cargo area with 3rd row seats down. Cavernous with 2nd and 3rd down. Lastly it's way easier for women to park and navigate tight parking lots. Way more important for a family mobile than towing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A buddy of mine picked one of those up last year, after a mo th he wished he would have gotten the sequia

My wife and I both hate our Highlander, I regret not just buying the Tahoe like we wanted to do.

What advantage does the Tahoe have over the Highlander? Unless you're towing, I only see disadvantages.

I don't know what all the OP will be doing, he may want to tow a boat, it's nice to have the option. The jeep is a dedicated crawler/trail rig, not a lot of fun on the highway.

I'm sure it won't get the same MPG, but the Highlander only gets 16.5 ish with me driving and maybe 18 or 19 if my wife drives. My 2500HD 6.0 gets 13.5 no matter how it's driven, and I'm sure a Tahoe or Burb would be the same way.

For us it boils down to Neither of us liking car based CUV's, to the point that my wife wishes she had her 2004 Exploder back.

On the HL if you have to use the 3rd row then there is almost no cargo space, and even with 3rd row folded it's pretty meh. Granted ours is a little older model, so the newest gen may be better, but I still don't like the handling and the road noise.

My wife frequently drives my truck and before that she drove my F150 quite a bit with no problem. You should teach yours to drive better
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't know what all the OP will be doing, he may want to tow a boat, it's nice to have the option. The jeep is a dedicated crawler/trail rig, not a lot of fun on the highway.

I'm sure it won't get the same MPG, but the Highlander only gets 16.5 ish with me driving and maybe 18 or 19 if my wife drives. My 2500HD 6.0 gets 13.5 no matter how it's driven, and I'm sure a Tahoe or Burb would be the same way.

For us it boils down to Neither of us liking car based CUV's, to the point that my wife wishes she had her 2004 Exploder back.

On the HL if you have to use the 3rd row then there is almost no cargo space, and even with 3rd row folded it's pretty meh. Granted ours is a little older model, so the newest gen may be better, but I still don't like the handling and the road noise.

My wife frequently drives my truck and before that she drove my F150 quite a bit with no problem. You should teach yours to drive better
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't trust her with the new Tundra. She took out a ballard in the bank drive thru with the passenger front door on the Dodge. "It's just so big and I think they made the drive thru lanes smaller. We should switch banks."

ETA: you might want to have the plugs changed and check the air filter. That or you guys are hammering it. I don't feel like I'm pussy footing it and I can pretty easily get the numbers I mentioned earlier. I've hit 26 mpg on a long trip to Florida before. You should at least be able to get 19 mpg around town and in the country.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Highlander and the Tahoe are both high six seconds to 60 vehicles. It’s close enough that neither are going to be consistently smoked by the other one.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Porsche 911
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't trust her with the new Tundra. She took out a ballard in the bank drive thru with the passenger front door on the Dodge. "It's just so big and I think they made the drive thru lanes smaller. We should switch banks."

ETA: you might want to have the plugs changed and check the air filter. That or you guys are hammering it. I don't feel like I'm pussy footing it and I can pretty easily get the numbers I mentioned earlier. I've hit 26 mpg on a long trip to Florida before. You should at least be able to get 19 mpg around town and in the country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife isn't a great drive either, she smeared the side mirror off her explorer right after we got it.....even though I told her to stop

Air filter is fresh, I checked the plugs (on the left bank, cuz they're easy to get to) and they looked ok. I'm probably still gonna change them, but the ones in the back are a major nightmare, I figure at almost 100k it may be time.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top