Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As a child, one of my favorite authors.  Read everything he'd written.

As an adult?  Serious pedo vibes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Xanth series by Piers Anthony, great series IMO.

That is the reason why I did not recommend it. It has too many things in it that make me do a double take as an adult.

His Incarnations of immortality series is far better anyway.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The Dresden Files
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#3]
The Chronicles of Shannara. There's a LOT of them, it will indeed take you years to read, but I enjoyed them quite a bit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Wheel of Time series is excellent and an amazing world.  There is a period in the middle where the books get slow and a bit of a slog, but they improve again later.  All are worth reading, even if slow in places.
View Quote

I just tugged my braid in anger reading this.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Wheel of Time series is excellent and an amazing world.  There is a period in the middle where the books get slow and a bit of a slog, but they improve again later.  All are worth reading, even if slow in places.

Sorry, your satire has been disqualified because you didn't describe the dress you were wearing in exacting detail.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#6]
How about really old school, Homer's The Iliad and The Odyssey?
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Magician
Series by Raymond Feist
View Quote

Really liked this series
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Eric Carter, Necromancer

Eric Carter 1 - Dead Things
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This series is one of the reasons my wife and I met/got together.  We were both readers in a world where there were few of us, and neither one of us had met anybody else that had read Stephen R. Donaldson's masterpiece...let alone loved them.

Wearing my white gold wedding ring as I type this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

That’s one you don’t hear very often.

Dark series about an angry leper transported to another realm with lots of power, especially the anger.

This series is one of the reasons my wife and I met/got together.  We were both readers in a world where there were few of us, and neither one of us had met anybody else that had read Stephen R. Donaldson's masterpiece...let alone loved them.

I found his science fiction series the Gap Series to be much better. Give it a shot if you haven't.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I want something to read that will take a year or two of casual reading. Or possibly more.

I've read JRR Tolkien's works multiple times, except the The Silmarillion, which I could not make it through. I feel that The Lord of the Rings is the best series I've ever read. I want something new now.

So far the list I'm looking at is as follows:

- Wheel of Time
- Stormlight Archive
- Malazan: Book of the Fallen

Of this list list what would you recommend? Or am I missing something?
View Quote

The Seven Kennings, by Kevin Hearne
Not too long, not too short, good story overall (even if I was slightly disappointed by the denouement).
It won't take you years, but if you are a slow reader maybe 1 year. Looks to be slightly under 2000 pages
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Song of Fire and Ice, despite being incomplete, is still a great series.
View Quote

I read a LOT of fantasy novels when I was in high school, mostly the TSR series (Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, etc), and liked a lot of it. The Dark Elf series was one of my favs. I looked on Amazon recently and saw that R.A. Salvatore put out a few more books in that series. I might have to read a couple soon.

I could NOT read Tolkien. I just couldn't get into Fellowship, and couldn't get past the first chapter for some reason. Maybe I should try again.

That said, A Song of Ice and Fire is very good, and it's easy to read. GRRM is good at telling a story and making it very complex, which may be his undoing. He also names every. fucking. character. I really don't have much hope that he's ever going to finish the series. He's said a few times that the last two books will be very big, and might need to be broken into to parts each. There's a LOT of story left... which pisses me off about Game of Thrones ending so quickly. The book's ending has to be different.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The problem with Drizzt is he is a whiny cunt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Second vote for Mistborn.  

And these.  https://www.goodreads.com/series/49134-the-legend-of-drizzt

Holy shit, Salvatore wrote a TON more books. I think I have only read the first two or three trilogies.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I love the David Eddings series of the Belgeriad and the Mallorean.  They both follow the same group and one is a continuation of the other.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And a rapist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dark series about an angry leper transported to another realm with lots of power, especially the anger.

And a rapist.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. The Dresden Files by the same author.
View Quote

I haven't read the Alera series, but the Dresden Files were very, very good.  I grew tired of high fantasy decades ago, but magic-realism still hits on all cylinders for me.  There are some good authors out there, but Butcher's character Dresden is the only one in my memory that actually grew, matured...changed...as his experiences and life went on.  Also, they were 'adult' enough to keep my interest.

There are so many fantasy series that are good...but all the characters are rated G.  There is no acknowledgement of some of humanity's strongest impulses, or those facets are shunned/hidden/downplayed.

Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" is a perfect example.  His scenes with the main villian would go into great, gory detail during torture scenes...but sex was glossed over like an embarrassing fart in church.

Edding's Mallorean and Belgariad were the same damn way.  Two teenagers gifted with power, suffering great tribulations, but sex doesn't really exist.  You can literally see the main character thinking "Gorsh!" (/Goofy) when he's chastely kissed, blushing red and stammering.  For over 8 fucking books.  Really?

Jordan's "Wheel of Time" deals with it a little better...better than most, really...but it's still treated with kid gloves.  It's like a law: high fantasy can't be "adult".  It has to be written for chaste nerds who have never seen a clitoris live.

You want to know why Game of Thrones on HBO was so successful?  Tits.  Pure and simple--tits.  Their power was acknowledged, recognized, and dealt with.  Adults acted like adults.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Avoid Sword of Truth.  14 books and just gets tired after book 4.
View Quote

Amen Chizult, was a really good start but just drugggggg on I quit after book 6?
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Stainless steel rat is not high fantasy, but a great read never the less.

Try the Dragonbone Chair series by Tad Williams for a good long read, high fantasy for sure.
View Quote

Tad Williams' "Otherland" series is a much better read.  Not high fantasy.  It's "Ready Player One" for adults, and explores cybersyncing (my own word) in a very rich, detailed world.  Bruce Sterling/William Gibson combined with Robert Jordan/David Eddings.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I will also throw out the Dragon Prince series by Melanie Rawn as a suggestion.
View Quote

Now THAT was a great series--I had forgotten about these!  Fantasy written for adults.  Really well done.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I haven't read the Alera series, but the Dresden Files were very, very good.  I grew tired of high fantasy decades ago, but magic-realism still hits on all cylinders for me.  There are some good authors out there, but Butcher's character Dresden is the only one in my memory that actually grew, matured...changed...as his experiences and life went on.  Also, they were 'adult' enough to keep my interest.

There are so many fantasy series that are good...but all the characters are rated G.  There is no acknowledgement of some of humanity's strongest impulses, or those facets are shunned/hidden/downplayed.

Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" is a perfect example.  His scenes with the main villian would go into great, gory detail during torture scenes...but sex was glossed over like an embarrassing fart in church.

Edding's Mallorean and Belgariad were the same damn way.  Two teenagers gifted with power, suffering great tribulations, but sex doesn't really exist.  You can literally see the main character thinking "Gorsh!" (/Goofy) when he's chastely kissed, blushing red and stammering.  For over 8 fucking books.  Really?

Jordan's "Wheel of Time" deals with it a little better...better than most, really...but it's still treated with kid gloves.  It's like a law: high fantasy can't be "adult".  It has to be written for chaste nerds who have never seen a clitoris live.

You want to know why Game of Thrones on HBO was so successful?  Tits.  Pure and simple--tits.  Their power was acknowledged, recognized, and dealt with.  Adults acted like adults.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I couldn't disagree with this more if I tried. I don't need my books to be like this at all. I mean adult situations are fine, but it really doesn't matter to me if the story, characters, and world building are good. One reason I like Sanderson, it's not that adult things don't happen, it just happens outside of the narrative which is fine.

Game of Thrones is popular because it has great characters, it's dark, it's unpredictable, and tells a great story. Take away the tits and it would just as popular. If tits was all that mattered there would be a lot of really popular but shitty shows.

For the OP, I would second the comments about everything Sanderson has written and also second the Hyperion suggestion. It's Sci-Fi but it has fantasy elements and is worth the read.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
“Dies the Fire” by SM Stirling is good for awhile.
View Quote

Yeah.  That's a perfect description.  First couple of books were really good and had me enthused...and then it sort of went generic fantasy novel #9.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That is the reason why I did not recommend it. It has too many things in it that make me do a double take as an adult.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was reading the series when I was between 18-20 years old, 40 years ago. So likely the reason I didn't pick up on it.

Haven't read much of anything in the last 25 years unfortunately. This thread gives me the desire to change that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sorry, your satire has been disqualified because you didn't describe the dress you were wearing in exacting detail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit--my first sentence when I was typing that was "I just tugged my braid in anger reading this, while smoothing the bright yellow skirts trimmed in Queen's Lace and embroidered with sun-bright daisies so as to appear more presentable."
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It also has to do with publishing, market, and appeal.

Publishers and editors look over the material, and decide what to edit out and what to keep, based on what they think has the potential to make the most money.

Like it or not, the US still tends to be more prudish, overall. We don’t have topless women in regular newspapers, and boobies in regular TV ads (or on News channels). Heck, we can’t even have cleavage on a firearms forum (which one would assume, is catering to adults).

Editors and publishers tend to market the Fantasy genre to as broad a demographic as possible, to include tweens/teens/young adults, and getting overly descriptive with sex/intimacy brings out all the puritans screeching about smut and the destruction of morals/corrupting young minds and whatever.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Dune is good fantasy "pretending" to be Sci fi. Awesome novel.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I found his science fiction series the Gap Series to be much better. Give it a shot if you haven't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have, and we are in agreement.  I think it's better than the Chronicles, and unlike most of the fiction discussed here, doesn't hide from adult things.  It was truly a masterpiece, and some of the best sci-fi I've ever read.  Just didn't mention it because it's a fantasy thread.  Kudos, brother!
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Tad Williams' "Otherland" series is a much better read.  Not high fantasy.  It's "Ready Player One" for adults, and explores cybersyncing (my own word) in a very rich, detailed world.  Bruce Sterling/William Gibson combined with Robert Jordan/David Eddings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stainless steel rat is not high fantasy, but a great read never the less.

Try the Dragonbone Chair series by Tad Williams for a good long read, high fantasy for sure.

Another vote for the Otherland quadrilogy.

I suppose it would fall more in the sci-fi genre, though.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I only read the first 3 or 4 Drizzt books and gave up when he almost always did something I wouldn't do in a given situation. Interesting world, but angsty for sure.

Malazan would seem to offer the greatest challenge.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah.  That's a perfect description.  First couple of books were really good and had me enthused...and then it sort of went generic fantasy novel #9.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
“Dies the Fire” by SM Stirling is good for awhile.

“Dies the Fire” was good, up to the conclusion of The Protector’s War (book 4?).

After that, it really started going off the rails.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Loved them as a kid/teen.  Dragged them out again a few years ago and holy crap.  They were so bad.  And not just the pedo-ish stuff.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Butcher is VERY good with growing his characters and not just the lead one. It's something that many authors have real issues with doing believably.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably for the best.  Dudes can't write about good sex.  Or at least not for woman readers.  

*forcefield activated    
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read only off of the Xanth books and liked it. I hadn’t heard of any pedo until now. I looked into it and some sick stuff.

https://litreactor.com/columns/themes-of-pedophilia-in-the-works-of-piers-anthony
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I couldn't disagree with this more if I tried. I don't need my books to be like this at all. I mean adult situations are fine, but it really doesn't matter to me if the story, characters, and world building are good. One reason I like Sanderson, it's not that adult things don't happen, it just happens outside of the narrative which is fine.

Game of Thrones is popular because it has great characters, it's dark, it's unpredictable, and tells a great story. Take away the tits and it would just as popular. If tits was all that mattered there would be a lot of really popular but shitty shows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A respectable counterargument.  Going by your screen name and the fact that I tried to make sandalwood grips for my Vaqueros, we share similar tastes.

I guess my only rebuttal would be...what's the other fantastically popular high fantasy series on TV?
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:21:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Publishers and editors look over the material, and decide what to edit out and what to keep, based on what they think has the potential to make the most money.

Like it or not, the US still tends to be more prudish, overall. We don’t have topless women in regular newspapers, and boobies in regular TV ads (or on News channels). Heck, we can’t even have cleavage on a firearms forum (which one would assume, is catering to adults).

Editors and publishers tend to market the Fantasy genre to as broad a demographic as possible, to include tweens/teens/young adults, and getting overly descriptive with sex/intimacy brings out all the puritans screeching about smut and the destruction of morals/corrupting young minds and whatever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good reply.  I don't disagree with any of this.

It's just that--for me, anyway--it's what turned me off of what is popularly known as "high fantasy".  It all feels like YA stuff.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A respectable counterargument.  Going by your screen name and the fact that I tried to make sandalwood grips for my Vaqueros, we share similar tastes.

I guess my only rebuttal would be...what's the other fantastically popular high fantasy series on TV?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, lets agree that it's okay to like different things
Your stance doesn't bother me at all (just to clarify) I just think for a lot of people it doesn't really matter as long as the story is good. As to your question...I don't know TBH, I only have streaming services lol. Probably something with a lot of tits, but my follow up question would be this- would that show still be as high quality without the tits?

In other news, I reread the Dark Tower series last year (well, the first 4 anyway) and they still hold up. What a great series. Too bad SK is such a dope. Also, I need a couple .45C Vaqueros....
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Dune is good fantasy "pretending" to be Sci fi. Awesome novel.
View Quote

Yeah, it really is both. The first one is a fantastic story.

I didn't like the sequels. My interest faded to the point that I didn't even finish the 3rd or 4th one.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Butcher is VERY good with growing his characters and not just the lead one. It's something that many authors have real issues with doing believably.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right?  I can't think of another author at this moment that has done it so well.  Dresden at the beginning and Dresden at the end are not recognizable as the same character...unless you shared his experiences and watched him mature.  I also found his growth believable--it seemed perfectly in line with the trials of his life.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Probably for the best.  Dudes can't write about good sex.  Or at least not for woman readers.  

*forcefield activated    
View Quote

Huh.  Maybe this is the real reason why it isn't done more commonly.  The best I've seen (in high fantasy) was the Melanie Rawn mentioned earlier--a woman.  That's a pretty decent observation.  Having said that--do you think there are a lot of female high fantasy readers?  I'm interested in your answer: I honestly don't know.  I thought my wife was an outlier.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

In my case, I’d also been reading RJ’s WoT series, before starting Goodkind’s SoT series, and a few things in particular stuck out to me:
TK’s writing wasn’t as polished as RJ’s. As mentioned, he tried to make his series more ‘adult’, but failed. And the little jabs at the WoT series, both showed his immaturity, and envy that RJ’s series was receiving far more accolades and had a much bigger fan base.

I think I got to ~ book 5 of the SoT series, before giving up on it.

That seems to be my average, for longer series that I feel like I’m slogging through. I consider that to be giving them a fair shot. If they haven’t gotten any better by then, they aren’t going to.

That’s also about how far I got with A.American’s Going Home series. Recommended by a buddy, for the post-apocalyptic genre. Forced myself to read 4 more in the series, after reading the first (which I found hilariously bad), hoping it would get better. Nope. Franklin Horton’s ‘Borrowed World’ series (and The Mad Mick spinoff series), are far better, in that genre.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#40]
The gunslinger series by Stephen King is pretty good
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

For the OP, I would second the comments about everything Sanderson has written and also second the Hyperion suggestion. It's Sci-Fi but it has fantasy elements and is worth the read.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

11 thumbs up for Hyperion.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Limiting to  High Fantasy and not already listed -

Blue Moon Rising (Forest Kingdom series Book 1) by Simon R. Green

There is a lot more than the 4 books in this world.  Closer to a dozen if I remember correctly.

Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Your stance doesn't bother me at all (just to clarify) I just think for a lot of people it doesn't really matter as long as the story is good. As to your question...I don't know TBH, I only have streaming services lol. Probably something with a lot of tits, but my follow up question would be this- would that show still be as high quality without the tits?

In other news, I reread the Dark Tower series last year (well, the first 4 anyway) and they still hold up. What a great series. Too bad SK is such a dope. Also, I need a couple .45C Vaqueros....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still my second favorite author--and he introduced me to my favorite author.

Wanna see something neat?  A crossover between what we're discussing (GoT) and the other?
The character Bronn in Game of Thrones?  He's your dad.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I've read a few of the Forgotten Realms books. Including some with Drizzt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've read a few of the Forgotten Realms books. Including some with Drizzt.

The Icewind Dale trilogy was pretty good iirc.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

He's introspective.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's introspective.

Did he stutter?
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#46]
I know it doesn’t fit exactly what you’re asking for, but a couple of alternate options that you’d probably like:

- Jurassic Park 1 & 2 by Crichton
- Saxon Stories by Cornwell
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think there’s a disparity between discussing the popularity of GRRM’s books, vs the HBO series.

The books gained popularity because of GRRM’s fascinating world building and many-threaded storylines and intrigue (sometimes making things difficult to follow, and keep in line, with so many plots and sub-plots).

There’s no doubt that the HBO series gained a lot of attention and fans, because it didn’t hold back, whether it was graphic violence, or nudity. Something which most other series tended to avoid (especially ones intended for regular TV with G/PG ratings).
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

In my case, I’d also been reading RJ’s WoT series, before starting Goodkind’s SoT series, and a few things in particular stuck out to me:
TK’s writing wasn’t as polished as RJ’s. As mentioned, he tried to make his series more ‘adult’, but failed. And the little jabs at the WoT series, both showed his immaturity, and envy that RJ’s series was receiving far more accolades and had a much bigger fan base.

That seems to be my average, for longer series that I feel like I’m slogging through. I consider that to be giving them a fair shot. If they haven’t gotten any better by then, they aren’t going to.

That’s also about how far I got with A.American’s Going Home series. Recommended by a buddy, for the post-apocalyptic genre. Forced myself to read 4 more in the series, after reading the first (which I found hilariously bad), hoping it would get better. Nope. Franklin Horton’s ‘Borrowed World’ series (and The Mad Mick spinoff series), are far better, in that genre.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  I'm currently in a post-apocalyptic cycle, and there just aren't that many good writers for it.  I finished "Borrowed World" series, wife is currently doing the Mad Mick stuff.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Wanna see something neat?  A crossover between what we're discussing (GoT) and the other?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, I've never even heard of this. Will check it out, thanks!
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Malazan is awesome...much more dark and gritty

wheel of time great too....and not retarded like the series
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top