BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What’s the difference between “high” and “low” fantasy?
View Quote

I don’t know if there’s a ‘low fantasy’ genre, although there’s probably what some might consider low-brow fantasy; but as I understand it, what most people consider high fantasy is the standard sword and sorcery/magic stuff, vs just fantasy which is a broader category that encompasses anything that’s beyond our regular world.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I have always read that high fantasy v low fantasy was based on how prevalent magic is in the world.  Common magic weapons and wizards as a profession being high fantasy.  In low fantasy only a handful of people wield power, or completely restricted to magical beings like dragons.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I used to read everything my daughter was going to read before she read it, to make sure it was kosher.  She was heavy into what is now called Young Adult, or YA.  YA is basically fantasy lite, usually involving vampires or other supernatural creatures in high school.  All of that Mormon woman's stuff that was so popular, and then a dozen or so different versions of what I just started calling Vampire Academy Drama, and eventually I stopped reading her shit because it was all just high-school, teenaged drama in a safe-ish, PG-13 setting.

Then she started reading Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels.  She read them a LOT.  Had one under her bed, even.  So, yeah--I thought I should probably give those a try, and holy shit--now I know why she kept them under her bed.  Women can get really, really descriptive in their sex scenes.  Even more graphic with supernatural creatures, LOL.  So yeah--no more Anita Blake in our house until after she moved out.
View Quote
Yeah, Anita Blake was never Y/A, more like NC-17 until after about the tenth book when it went XXX. I think the author went through the "Change of Life" and became obsessed with describing group sex scenes...entire chapters of them. Up until then the sex ranged from non-existent to restrained.
The series was quite good up until then, an imaginative mix of gritty police procedural, horror, fantasy and splatterpunk. The monster lore is very interesting and consistent, as is the magical system. The body count of horribly murdered innocent(and less than innocent)people is horrific.
It's one of the hardest takes on the "vampire hunter" trope ever, and Anita's step by step journey into the underworld from a very law abiding, near virginal(she's only had sex with her fiance), slightly nerdy and naive girl who goes to church three times a week while working a very tough job... to a truly hardened killer(occasional murderer and torturer) and deeply compromised character is fascinating. Each compromise she makes is to protect innocent life, and each choice costs her a chunk of her soul.
The vampires range from sinister and manipulative to monstrous to positively demonic, the werewolves ferocious and with bizarre pack dynamics, and there is a menagerie of other beasties from myth and fable.

Link Posted: 7/26/2024 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mistborn.
View Quote

I listened to the first one. Now I have a 16 week wait for book 2 (Libby app) and 20 weeks for book 3.

I do recommend wholeheartedly.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#5]
The Powder Mage Trilogy and its sequels.

You are welcome sir
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
While not exactly fantasy, much more historical fiction, the Bernard Cornwell series are excellent.

The King Arthur series and the Last Kingdom series do have a touch of possible magic and the Archer series is a hunt for the holy grail.
View Quote

The King Arthur series was fucking awesome

Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Riftwar saga by Raymond E Feist
The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny
The Books of Swords by Fred Saberhagen
Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams
The Belgariad by David Eddings
Mistborn by Brian Sanderson
The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss(Book 3 has been under development for years. He works at the pace of George RR Martin. The first two books are excellent)

This

www.amazon.com/dp/1568650094

Damn!! I had forgotten about that series, I enjoyed those as well. I do miss the days when things were less hectic and had the time to enjoy reading. Was one of the highlights of payday hitting the Stars & Stripes to search for new books in the 80's.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The dragon bone chair
Tad Williams
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
low-brow fantasy
View Quote

As an expert in this area, the answer is big tittied women who are easy to please.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Just remembered another huge series.

The Saga of Recluce Series by L.E. Modesitt, Jr.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#11]
The Empire of Black and Gold By Tchaikovsky is excellent.  Its a ten book series that presents a sweeping military-political story of opposing insect-themed human factions, against the backdrop of magic dissapation and industrial revolution.  Its a favorite series of mine.  Huge worldbuilding, great character development and very interesting and realistic battle scenes.  Its different in that fading magic is a central theme, but inherent specific insect powers are always present, and interact with technology in interesting ways.  

Tschaikovsky has a bunch of great sci-fi as well.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How
Dare
You
Sir!

Seriously, I love fantasy as a genre, but very few works are genuinely art. The LoTR series is a masterpiece. The Earthsea novels are damned entertaining.

Both are written for children, though.  They're superb when viewed from that perspective.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wheel of time is popular, but sucks.

How
Dare
You
Sir!

Seriously, I love fantasy as a genre, but very few works are genuinely art. The LoTR series is a masterpiece. The Earthsea novels are damned entertaining.

Both are written for children, though.  They're superb when viewed from that perspective.

Sorry bro- those books are trash - amateurish writing and shitty characters/development.  Not even top 10 in the genre.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:56:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Magician
Series by Raymond Feist
View Quote

Absolutely this.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For high fantasy, it's hard to beat the 2 series by David Eddings.

The Belgariad series

The Mallorean series
View Quote

These have long been one of my favorites
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Mallorean and The Belgariad are always mentioned for Eddings, but I suspect many here would like The Elenium.
View Quote

Agree. The Belgariad and The Mallorean are two series that make one epic while The Elenium and The Tamuli are two more series that make up another epic. Both are easy to read and well regarded.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Almost forgot about this one....

The Wizard series by Christofer Stasheff.

If you like magic and European historical themes, then this one's a must read.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:17:14 PM EDT
[#18]
For a one-off story, try “The Face In The Frost” by John Bellairs.  He’s the guy who wrote “The House With A Clock In Its Walls” which was a childhood favorite.  Frost is for adults.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Runelords.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have to admit, I struggled through the first book. I found it to be just awful.

And not because the character is a POS, but just that the story was dull.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While we are throwing in some fairly old series, might as well add Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (to Thieves World, Chronicles of Amber, and several others I read like 40 years ago)..

Sorry, it was probably already mentioned 3 times...

The only way to hurt a man who has lost everything, is to give him back something that is broken.

I have to admit, I struggled through the first book. I found it to be just awful.

And not because the character is a POS, but just that the story was dull.

I bought the audio books based on recommendations here. I never finished them. Maybe it was the narrator, but dull is a good description. I read the Mordants Need series a couple times. Donaldson has a bit of a plodding writing style.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#21]
The Stainless Steel Rat
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:26:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Dragon riders of pern
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Raymond Feist's "the Riftwar Saga" is excellent. I've read the entire series 3 or 4 times.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm old.
"The Stainless Steel Rat"  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stainless_Steel_Rat
View Quote
A great story. I can't believe it was never made a movie or series.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Oh, also anything by Robert Howard. The Solomon Kane stuff is absolutely fantastic, lots of short stories that are quick reads and completely engrossing.

eta: Skip the movie. It's hot dog shit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:05:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

“Dies the Fire” was good, up to the conclusion of The Protector’s War (book 4?).

After that, it really started going off the rails.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
“Dies the Fire” by SM Stirling is good for awhile.

Yeah.  That's a perfect description.  First couple of books were really good and had me enthused...and then it sort of went generic fantasy novel #9.

“Dies the Fire” was good, up to the conclusion of The Protector’s War (book 4?).

dies the fire and ariel by boyett got me interested in swords, which now take up all my free time.

20 years on, i have a bone to pick with those guys.

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I haven't read the Alera series, but the Dresden Files were very, very good.  I grew tired of high fantasy decades ago, but magic-realism still hits on all cylinders for me.  There are some good authors out there, but Butcher's character Dresden is the only one in my memory that actually grew, matured...changed...as his experiences and life went on.  Also, they were 'adult' enough to keep my interest.

There are so many fantasy series that are good...but all the characters are rated G.  There is no acknowledgement of some of humanity's strongest impulses, or those facets are shunned/hidden/downplayed.

Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" is a perfect example.  His scenes with the main villian would go into great, gory detail during torture scenes...but sex was glossed over like an embarrassing fart in church.

Edding's Mallorean and Belgariad were the same damn way.  Two teenagers gifted with power, suffering great tribulations, but sex doesn't really exist.  You can literally see the main character thinking "Gorsh!" (/Goofy) when he's chastely kissed, blushing red and stammering.  For over 8 fucking books.  Really?

Jordan's "Wheel of Time" deals with it a little better...better than most, really...but it's still treated with kid gloves.  It's like a law: high fantasy can't be "adult".  It has to be written for chaste nerds who have never seen a clitoris live.

You want to know why Game of Thrones on HBO was so successful?  Tits.  Pure and simple--tits.  Their power was acknowledged, recognized, and dealt with.  Adults acted like adults.  
View Quote

Personally I don’t necessarily care to read graphic depictions of sex. I guess I’d say I’m ambivalent. If the rest of the book is good I don’t much care.

Have you read First Law by Joe Abercrombie?

@Sixtigers
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:23:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm actually reading wheel of time now, its alright. It hasnt blown me away, but its been decent enough to keep reading. Funny, back in the day I remember people saying to avoid it b/c it was too gynocentric, now, in these sad, neutered times, its almost the opposite since it at least acknowledges that there are, generally, differences in men and women. Anyway, I don't find it to be the masterpiece some say, but its OK, so far.

Stormlight archive is kind of an odd one. I thought it was written well enough, and the characters are generally interesting and have some nuance, but it just drags too much and too often. I quit on the 3rd, I think, I might try it again at some point w/more of a willingness to skip ahead.

Book of the fallen is really just awful.

You might consider historical fiction, good historical fiction is kind of like fantasy or sci fi b/c it brings a completely different world alive. The Aubrey-Maturin are some of the finest examples of this, and are some of the best novels ever written, something eveyone should read.
View Quote

Stormlight archive is what largely ties Sanderson’s Cosmere together which is a big part of its appeal. I could see how it could be less enjoyable if you haven’t read the rest of the novels.

Essentially the real story it’s what happening outside most of the novels, and half of the fun is trying to piece together what’s actually going on.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:31:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sorry bro- those books are trash - amateurish writing and shitty characters/development.  Not even top 10 in the genre.
View Quote

Definitely a hot take.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:54:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Only read his Drenai Saga series.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
David Gemmell is an author I haven't seen mentioned.

Had some good books in the fantasy realm.

I have some of his books, his writing style can be ''iffy'' at times and leaves you scratching your head. [I read the Sipstrassi ones]

Only read his Drenai Saga series.

The ones with the Sipstrassi are the only ones I would skip, I think his story telling ability in the rest is pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:02:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Stormlight archive is what largely ties Sanderson’s Cosmere together which is a big part of its appeal. I could see how it could be less enjoyable if you haven’t read the rest of the novels.

Essentially the real story it’s what happening outside most of the novels, and half of the fun is trying to piece together what’s actually going on.
View Quote

Purely my opinion.

Sanderson's strength is character building. If he can tie world building into his characters, a la the first mistborn trilogy, the sum is much greater than the parts. Books where he has to world build independent of his characters tend to fall flat and leave both his characters and world cardboard cutouts.

I can never get past the halfway point in the first stormlight book, there's just nothing engaging.

Another trilogy to check out, The Magister Trilogy by C.S. Friedman. It's an interesting take on magic, mages, witches, and the cost to a person's soul.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:09:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I don’t know if there’s a ‘low fantasy’ genre, although there’s probably what some might consider low-brow fantasy; but as I understand it, what most people consider high fantasy is the standard sword and sorcery/magic stuff, vs just fantasy which is a broader category that encompasses anything that’s beyond our regular world.
View Quote

In that case.

Arcane Ascension Series

And

Weapons and Wielders

Same universe and characters.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:14:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Mentioned
RE Howard, Conan, Bran Mac Morn, Cormaic Mac Art, the short stories like Shadow of the Vulture
Not high fantasy, but you can’t mention Howard without bringing up Lovecraft.
Raymond E Feist, probably the first 9 books or so in the Magician line
Katherine Kurts?? Wrote 3 books about the other side of Feist’s rift war.
Stephen Brust the Vlad series
David Gemmell
Not mentioned yet
Katherine Kerr, the whole 20?? Book Devery sage, IIRC Dark Spell or Dagger Spell was the first
James Silke, The Death Dealer series, a whole series based on the Frazetta painting
Barb and JC Hendee Noble dead series

And no matter the genre, you have to mention Gates of Fire
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

dies the fire and ariel by boyett got me interested in swords, which now take up all my free time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
“Dies the Fire” by SM Stirling is good for awhile.

Yeah.  That's a perfect description.  First couple of books were really good and had me enthused...and then it sort of went generic fantasy novel #9.

Yeah. They can definitely kindle an interest in swords, armor, HEMA…

Then, when you look at your collection years later, “Statistical probability/possibility of magic space bats deactivating all the gunpowder…. about 0.000000000001%”

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#35]
]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How
Dare
You
Sir!

Ok - I am overcome with curiosity. I'm not asking for 10+ examples (which you believe there are), but I would like to know a few examples of fantasy book series for kids that are significantly better than LOTR or Earthsea Chronicles.

I'm not even just asking in order to argue (*this* time ). I have a small boy who lives fantasy stories, so I'll likely read some with him.

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I listened to the first one. Now I have a 16 week wait for book 2 (Libby app) and 20 weeks for book 3.

I do recommend wholeheartedly.
View Quote

Start The Way of Kings while you're waiting!
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Bump for possible response to this. We're going to a book store today.

]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

How
Dare
You
Sir!

View Quote

View Quote

Ok - I am overcome with curiosity. I'm not asking for 10+ examples (which you believe there are), but I would like to know a few examples of fantasy book series for kids that are significantly better than LOTR or Earthsea Chronicles.

I'm not even just asking in order to argue (*this* time ). I have a small boy who loves fantasy stories, so I'll likely read some with him.

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I liked the Malazan series very much. Wheel of Time got insufferable after 10 books, but was a good ride otherwise. The Sword of Truth was ok if you could ignore the philosophical asides of the author. Song of Fire and Ice, never finished, but what I read was entertaining. There was a pretty decent series I started years ago by a MS author I liked. It had Ben Franklin and others. Sorry, can't remember what it was called.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I liked the Malazan series very much. Wheel of Time got insufferable after 10 books, but was a good ride otherwise. The Sword of Truth was ok if you could ignore the philosophical asides of the author. Song of Fire and Ice, never finished, but what I read was entertaining. There was a pretty decent series I started years ago by a MS author I liked. It had Ben Franklin and others. Sorry, can't remember what it was called.
View Quote

You're not the only one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#40]
OP back.

I have been doing a lot or research. I want to get back a good investment on my time. It's been too many years since I've read anything significant. However there were a bunch that really had a strong influence on me when I was younger.

Just from the suggestions in this thread I have enough to keep me occupied for the next 30 years.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Oh, also anything by Robert Howard. The Solomon Kane stuff is absolutely fantastic, lots of short stories that are quick reads and completely engrossing.

eta: Skip the movie. It's hot dog shit.
View Quote
That movie was.

One of my favorite short stories by Howard is "The Dark Man", which features Bran Mak Morn as a sort of ancillary background character.
It's a grim tale, as dark as anything he ever wrote, set in Ireland during the Viking raids. A hate maddened outlaw hunts the reavers that kidnapped a young girl.
Short and free on Gutenberg.

https://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0608071h.html  

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

]

I'm not even just asking in order to argue (*this* time ). I have a small boy who loves fantasy stories, so I'll likely read some with him.

View Quote

Chronicles of Prydain
Chronicles of Narnia
Watership Down
Redwall Series
Harry Potter (never read it myself).
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The King Arthur series was fucking awesome

View Quote

What is the lowest age that you think would be appropriate for the King Arthur series?

I’m looking for a suggestion for a boy that loves the LOTR trilogy
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How
Dare
You
Sir!

Leguin is (was?) a crazy old bat, but an excellent author.  Earthsea is great.  LOTR is the reference by which all high fantasy is judged (with good reason).  World of the Five Gods series by Bujold is excellent. Not sure the Pern books qualify as high fantasy, but they’re great. Chronicles of Prydain are written for young adults and kids but a great read. Game of Thrones (first three books, anyway) are some of the best high fantasy written in the last half century.  TH White is classic. Zelazny’s Amber books are great. Chronicles of Narnia are considered classics for good reason.  Princess Bride, Mists of Avalon are fun romps.  The Shannara books never appealed to me. Donaldson’s Covenant books are brilliantly written. Correia’s sons of the black sword books are good, the gentleman bastards are decent.  Moorcock’s Elric books are maybe a little teen-level, but great.  I think I mentioned Sanderson in my previous post.  

The Wheel of Time books are trash.  Amateurish, navel gazing style, crappy characters that never develop, uninteresting metastory.  I have never been able to figure out why the fuck anyone likes them.

Love the genre. It’s a little tired right now but there are a few authors propping it up.  I could probably come up with a dozen more decent reads if I sat down and thought about it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Glenn Cook Black Company series
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Anne McCaffrey considered the Pern books to be sci fi, but they do have some fantasy elements. Excellent books.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Leguin is (was?) a crazy old bat, but an excellent author.  Earthsea is great.  LOTR is the reference by which all high fantasy is judged (with good reason).  World of the Five Gods series by Bujold is excellent. Not sure the Pern books qualify as high fantasy, but they’re great. Chronicles of Prydain are written for young adults and kids but a great read. Game of Thrones (first three books, anyway) are some of the best high fantasy written in the last half century.  TH White is classic. Zelazny’s Amber books are great. Chronicles of Narnia are considered classics for good reason.  Princess Bride, Mists of Avalon are fun romps.  The Shannara books never appealed to me. Donaldson’s Covenant books are brilliantly written. Correia’s sons of the black sword books are good, the gentleman bastards are decent.  Moorcock’s Elric books are maybe a little teen-level, but great.  I think I mentioned Sanderson in my previous post.  

The Wheel of Time books are trash.  Amateurish, navel gazing style, crappy characters that never develop, uninteresting metastory.  I have never been able to figure out why the fuck anyone likes them.

Love the genre. It’s a little tired right now but there are a few authors propping it up.  I could probably come up with a dozen more decent reads if I sat down and thought about it.
View Quote

my take on wheel of time (its been a while since i read the first book in the series). it starts out and moves along at a good pace, at some point it slows to an absolute crawl where nothing happens. i could never finish the series.

i have a theory.. a writer loses momentum after the third book in a series. martins game of thrones is a good example. the story sort of fragments and he has his characters wandering about the story going here and there with not much happening. the only exception ive found is pierce brown red rising series. the story holds together, it moves along and the characters age well. as i have gotten older i appreciate a good story. story is important, the arc of the stories is important, the trimmings, magic, swords, dragons, weapons and so forth are not enough to hold my interest if the story goes nowhere or the characters are flat. when i was younger the trimmings tended to hold my attention and imagination.  when i was young, i loved the edgar rice burroughs books. the characters were pretty much the same, the stories were a series of events which the main character always triumphed over and the exotic settings held my attention. not so much any more.

it also seems that recently, most fantasy is written by women and the books are somewhat like romance novels. i tend to read more history these days than fiction.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Monster Hunter International.  First book is free in ebook form over at Baen.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Personally I don’t necessarily care to read graphic depictions of sex. I guess I’d say I’m ambivalent. If the rest of the book is good I don’t much care.

@Sixtigers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't read the Alera series, but the Dresden Files were very, very good.  I grew tired of high fantasy decades ago, but magic-realism still hits on all cylinders for me.  There are some good authors out there, but Butcher's character Dresden is the only one in my memory that actually grew, matured...changed...as his experiences and life went on.  Also, they were 'adult' enough to keep my interest.

There are so many fantasy series that are good...but all the characters are rated G.  There is no acknowledgement of some of humanity's strongest impulses, or those facets are shunned/hidden/downplayed.

Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" is a perfect example.  His scenes with the main villian would go into great, gory detail during torture scenes...but sex was glossed over like an embarrassing fart in church.

Edding's Mallorean and Belgariad were the same damn way.  Two teenagers gifted with power, suffering great tribulations, but sex doesn't really exist.  You can literally see the main character thinking "Gorsh!" (/Goofy) when he's chastely kissed, blushing red and stammering.  For over 8 fucking books.  Really?

Jordan's "Wheel of Time" deals with it a little better...better than most, really...but it's still treated with kid gloves.  It's like a law: high fantasy can't be "adult".  It has to be written for chaste nerds who have never seen a clitoris live.

You want to know why Game of Thrones on HBO was so successful?  Tits.  Pure and simple--tits.  Their power was acknowledged, recognized, and dealt with.  Adults acted like adults.  

@Sixtigers

Regretfully, I haven’t.  I sort of stopped reading fantasy around 1996.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Anything by Michael Moorcock, particularly The Elric Saga, but all the Eternal Champion books are good reading.  I had them all at one time.

Elric of Melnibone
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top