Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Ariens, Husqvarna, Toro, Honda, Cub Cadet.

I have an Ariens deluxe 24 and a Husky 30" I think. They both work great. The Husky is 10+ years old and the Ariens 15 or so.
They both handled the 48" storm we got last year. It was slow, but my son and I did 400' of driveway with them.

The heated grips are not a gimmick, they work great.

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Toro with Quick stik...
View Quote

This.... Excellent for the money.

For high-end, the tracked Honda.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had a tracked honda for quite a while. It works great, but is a bit tough to maneuver. I haven't used anything else except a paddle type (fantastic if they will handle the snow) so maybe the wheeled ones aren't any better.
It is time for some maintenance on mine. I will replace the fuel line, probably the carb, straighten out some bent parts and see why the foot lever is iffy (changes the height)
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Ariens Platinum 30 SHO work great for me.  Zero problems with any snow or slush.

The only things that have slowed it down so far was a logging chain.

When it was shiny and new:

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ariens two stage.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Whichever brand you choose do a couple of things:

Always run ethanol free fuel.
Have spare shear pins.
Throw the steel skid shoes in the trash, run the plastic ones.
Set the auger height correctly, usually about 1/8” off of the pavement.
Wax the auger housing and chute every fall, you can also get sprays but nothing beats 3M Marine wax.
Do the “Impeller Mod”.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ariens two stage.
View Quote

Had one. Loved it. Got an Ego single-stage and used them side by side for a couple of seasons. Ego won me over and I sold the Ariens.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Whichever brand you choose do a couple of things:

Throw the steel skid shoes in the trash, run the plastic ones.
Set the auger height correctly, usually about 1/8” off of the pavement.
View Quote

No guy-try that on a non paved surface and you're not getting very far.

My scraper is set for 5/16"(mainly because I had some 5/16" rebar pieces.  I will probably go up to a 1/2" next year for the early part of the season.  

Great skids for the real world:  https://snowblowerskids.com/

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Everyone pushes Ariens, but they are not the same company that built your dads snowblower from the 70's.

They engineered cheapened them a lot. and I never liked their controls. (Not to mention the Import of Somali workers to the plant a few years ago to get assemblers.)What a shit show that was)
Ever sense Toro came out with the quick stick, I wanted one. When my Tracked Craftsmen with the beloved 9 hp Tecumseh Sno king Engine gave it up (The body rusted away, Engine still started on the first pull) after 22 years.

And last weekend, I bought a Toro Super recycler Personnel pace lawn mower....
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No guy-try that on a non paved surface and you're not getting very far.

My scraper is set for 5/16"(mainly because I had some 5/16" rebar pieces.  I will probably go up to a 1/2" next year for the early part of the season.  

Great skids for the real world:  https://snowblowerskids.com/

https://i.postimg.cc/xCykyYKb/IMG-0682.jpg
View Quote

Valid critique, depends on surface being cleared.
I make my own skid shoes out of 3/4” thick HDPE, on your average concrete driveway they last forever.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Don’t get a Husqvarna…I have one..nothing but issues with it. I should sell it and get a Honda or Ariens, but honestly I don’t think I could do that to someone with a straight face.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Ariens if you can get one with a Subaru engine doit those models a older and still good. Not shire if there china motors are any good these days.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Airens 28 deluxe, I have had it for 7 years and have only had to used it about a dozen times.  Ethanol free fuel and it starts up every time I need it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Find the snowman in your neighborhood who has the biggest smile and ask him.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Honda 928
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Everyone says Ariens, but I looked at them and I wasn't impressed for the prices they were asking. Seemed like you were paying a premium for the name.

I just wanted a simple 2 stage that I'd be able to easily repair myself, if needed.

Decided on a Briggs & Stratton from Home Depot. It's an animal. Always starts right up, nothing has broken, and I'm on my 5th season with it now. I changed the sliders on it because I didn't like the ones that it came with.

Attachment Attached File

Worth a look if you want a simple, reasonably priced machine that just works.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#18]
1st blower was an Ariens, zero issues and was still kicking ass 18 years later.
It was pretty rusty and ended up getting a new 24" MTD from my neighbor who moved to Florida.

It's done a great job but the newer ones have junk nonadjustable carbs. I replaced the carb for $9 and put some wipes on the impeller that is supposed to prevent clogging on slush and throw farther which it does.

Buy a 2 stage thrower or save your money.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I have something a bit unique. I love it. But I also got it for a really good deal on craigslist.

It's the troy-bilt flex.  You can use various attachments with the powerhead.  Pressure washer, mower deck, snow blower, air compressor, and other stuff.  I just have the mower and the snow blower that came with it.

It throws snow like a champ. Never had it plug up or not able to easily handle any snow I have had over the last couple years. Wet nasty snow is no problem for it.

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I paid $ 100.00  for it .

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Find the snowman in your neighborhood who has the biggest smile and ask him.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Everyone says Ariens, but I looked at them and I wasn't impressed for the prices they were asking. Seemed like you were paying a premium for the name.

View Quote

Prices went sky high on them last year.  Like something I bought in late 2020 for ~$1800 is now $2100.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have something a bit unique. I love it. But I also got it for a really good deal on craigslist.

It's the troy-bilt flex.  You can use various attachments with the powerhead.  Pressure washer, mower deck, snow blower, air compressor, and other stuff.  I just have the mower and the snow blower that came with it.

It throws snow like a champ. Never had it plug up or not able to easily handle any snow I have had over the last couple years. Wet nasty snow is no problem for it.

https://img.search.brave.com/NYlwvtK23wFQahQRUzsUnVdNKt4H4nlnGNiG8_YCgOA/rs:fit:1200:960:1/g:ce/aHR0cDovL3d3dy52/ZWdnaWVnYXJkZW5p/bmd0aXBzLmNvbS93/cC1jb250ZW50L3Vw/bG9hZHMvMjAxNS8w/Ni9GbGV4LVBvd2Vy/LUJhc2UtYW5kLU1v/d2VyMS5qcGc
https://img.search.brave.com/mWqzc2xO2YbtLrAV603k6nsbvcG0zeQaTwH6AJxxpck/rs:fit:1200:900:1/g:ce/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cu/cm9ubW93ZXJzLmNv/bS93cC1jb250ZW50/L3VwbG9hZHMvMjAx/OS8wNy91c2VkLVRy/b3lCaWx0LUZsZXgu/anBn
https://img.search.brave.com/RfQQzZonTJ2zR0JjOspJSingUuLPNH2UgPgBJJvdG50/rs:fit:598:436:1/g:ce/aHR0cDovL3N0YXRp/YzMuY29uc3VtZXJy/ZXBvcnRzY2RuLm9y/Zy9jb250ZW50L2Rh/bS9jcm8vbmV3c19h/cnRpY2xlcy9ob21l/X2dhcmRlbi9Ucm95/LUJpbHRfRkxFWF9Z/YXJkX0NhcmVfU3lz/dGVtXzEwMDcxNC5q/cGc
View Quote

OK, that's slick!
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I just wanted a simple 2 stage that I'd be able to easily repair myself, if needed.

Decided on a Briggs & Stratton from Home Depot. It's an animal. Always starts right up, nothing has broken, and I'm on my 5th season with it now. I changed the sliders on it because I didn't like the ones that it came with.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61196/20220220_101843_jpg-2286286.JPG

View Quote

I didn’t know B&S sold blowers under their branding now. B&S is the parent company of Simplicity. It’s likely the B&S branded blowers are Simplicity with a different paint.

The Simplicity Pro series are still leagues ahead of their consumer series, but the consumer series and now the B&S might be worth looking at if money is an issue.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:59:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ariens!

I have the 24" 254hp version from homedepot when they last carried them locally  (2020?) it has been very solid. Just don't leave old gas in it over the summer.

I am also jealous of my neighbors with their single stage toros when theres light stuff. Seems so much lighter and more simple to operate. Keep your current for this!

I used to have 3-4 snow blowers at a time based on application I felt fit. The Ariens 2 stage is my favorite  by far.

View Quote

Jesus H. Christ
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/hF9Lo8Q.jpg

Everyone pushes Ariens, but they are not the same company that built your dads snowblower from the 70's.

They engineered cheapened them a lot. and I never liked their controls. (Not to mention the Import of Somali workers to the plant a few years ago to get assemblers.)What a shit show that was)
Ever sense Toro came out with the quick stick, I wanted one. When my Tracked Craftsmen with the beloved 9 hp Tecumseh Sno king Engine gave it up (The body rusted away, Engine still started on the first pull) after 22 years.

And last weekend, I bought a Toro Super recycler Personnel pace lawn mower....
View Quote

Ditto on ariens shitshow.  Hope your lawn is perfectly smooth with that mower.  My personal experience is constant speed surges with every bump.  There are videos addressing the problem.  I was happier with my cheap mower that I just set a constant speed and I sped up to or slowed down to it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Honda is tier 1. But comes with a price tag. I have a Yamaha that has been great at a fraction of the cost.

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#28]
The best snowblower I have found that moves damp/wet snow is a old Toro S-200.  It's a paddle without the chute that plugs up with damp snow.  I see them at garage sales for $20 or less. I usually offer $10 and get them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ditto on ariens shitshow.  Hope your lawn is perfectly smooth with that mower.  My personal experience is constant speed surges with every bump.  There are videos addressing the problem.  I was happier with my cheap mower that I just set a constant speed and I sped up to or slowed down to it.
View Quote

The new mowers added a rubber shock to the push handle for thar scenario...We shall see.

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#30]
The truth be known, any snowblower that is the proper size (24 inch) and is two stage is going to perform just fine if you maintain it. Just change the damn oil at least once per year and don't break a sheer pin sucking up a rock or your newspaper.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ariens Platinum 30 SHO work great for me.  Zero problems with any snow or slush.

https://i.postimg.cc/jjdBdjC8/IMG-0802.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/dV9zYCQk/IMG-0803.jpg

When it was shiny and new:

https://i.postimg.cc/DySZm24w/IMG-1533.jpg
View Quote

Here is the neighbors door mat, it was great because the rubber stored energy.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#32]
A couple of years ago we had a stupid amount of snow for this area.  I got a great big Cub Cadet 3-stage blower.  It's a monster, and I wind up doing three or four driveways, a couple hundred feet of sidewalk, and the street about half of the circle in front of my house.

The yellow blower is pretty big and heavy, and it was difficult to maneuver around the cars so I got a smaller single stage blower to do between the cars and throw it out where the big blower could take over.  It works great for that, but it's also totally awesome when the snow is light.  I can whizz it off the driveway and do sidewalks and it's large enough to throw the snow a reasonable distance.  I think one up to 6-7 hp would be a great thing to have.

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Whatever you do don’t buy a Craftsman. I traded a pit bike for a brand new one and sold my amazing vintage Toro. What a pos. I should have bought a new Honda or kept the Toro.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I didn’t know B&S sold blowers under their branding now. B&S is the parent company of Simplicity. It’s likely the B&S branded blowers are Simplicity with a different paint.

The Simplicity Pro series are still leagues ahead of their consumer series, but the consumer series and now the B&S might be worth looking at if money is an issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61196/20220220_101843_jpg-2286286.JPG

Wow, I think you may be right. This is almost identical to my Briggs.

Attachment Attached File

All of the controls and the chute are exactly the same. Mine even has the same snow scraper on it. Only things that look different are the color and the lights.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/238713/E20A193D-9E8B-4A39-BA27-5F57AD0D6C79_jpe-2286497.JPG
View Quote

That looks like fun to pull out.

I keep waiting for me to catch a random hunk of firewood that has fallen off the pile--lucky so far...
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://img.search.brave.com/NYlwvtK23wFQahQRUzsUnVdNKt4H4nlnGNiG8_YCgOA/rs:fit:1200:960:1/g:ce/aHR0cDovL3d3dy52/ZWdnaWVnYXJkZW5p/bmd0aXBzLmNvbS93/cC1jb250ZW50L3Vw/bG9hZHMvMjAxNS8w/Ni9GbGV4LVBvd2Vy/LUJhc2UtYW5kLU1v/d2VyMS5qcGc
https://img.search.brave.com/mWqzc2xO2YbtLrAV603k6nsbvcG0zeQaTwH6AJxxpck/rs:fit:1200:900:1/g:ce/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cu/cm9ubW93ZXJzLmNv/bS93cC1jb250ZW50/L3VwbG9hZHMvMjAx/OS8wNy91c2VkLVRy/b3lCaWx0LUZsZXgu/anBn
https://img.search.brave.com/RfQQzZonTJ2zR0JjOspJSingUuLPNH2UgPgBJJvdG50/rs:fit:598:436:1/g:ce/aHR0cDovL3N0YXRp/YzMuY29uc3VtZXJy/ZXBvcnRzY2RuLm9y/Zy9jb250ZW50L2Rh/bS9jcm8vbmV3c19h/cnRpY2xlcy9ob21l/X2dhcmRlbi9Ucm95/LUJpbHRfRkxFWF9Z/YXJkX0NhcmVfU3lz/dGVtXzEwMDcxNC5q/cGc
View Quote

That looks really cool.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#37]

that's a great deal.     congrats!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/238713/E20A193D-9E8B-4A39-BA27-5F57AD0D6C79_jpe-2286497.JPG
View Quote

BTDT.....

Removed the shear pins, blades could free wheel, pulled it out and put the pins back in....Grrrr
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have an old tracked Yamaha , a newer tracked Honda and a 4 stroke flapper - the flapper gets the most use .
Love the tracked machines and if I ever need to buy another new one , which I most likely wont as the Honda should last me , I'd drive to fucking Canada and buy another Yamaha .

edit : looked up battery snow blowers and didn't realize they made them as big as they did . . . why though . . stupid batteries . . .
View Quote

I picked up a 60v Toro this year and it works for what I need it to do.  It uses the same battery as my lawnmower.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#40]
I bought a Poulan PR8527 from a co-worker for $360 a couple of months ago. It's probably 10 years old but he guessed it has less than 100 hours on it. The thing is overkill for what I need but, I couldn't pass up that price. It's worked great on the few snow days we've had so far.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
What was the outcome when you ate the chain?

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Power Clear 721 E 21 in. 212 cc Single-Stage Self Propelled Electric Start Gas Snow Blower
by Toro
(1848)
$699
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A couple of years ago we had a stupid amount of snow for this area.  I got a great big Cub Cadet 3-stage blower.  It's a monster, and I wind up doing three or four driveways, a couple hundred feet of sidewalk, and the street about half of the circle in front of my house.

The yellow blower is pretty big and heavy, and it was difficult to maneuver around the cars so I got a smaller single stage blower to do between the cars and throw it out where the big blower could take over.  It works great for that, but it's also totally awesome when the snow is light.  I can whizz it off the driveway and do sidewalks and it's large enough to throw the snow a reasonable distance.  I think one up to 6-7 hp would be a great thing to have.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/37163ae7-b281-4ba2-b75b-0419605955f6/svn/cub-cadet-gas-snow-blowers-3x-26-64_1000.jpg

https://images.bonanzastatic.com/afu/images/d383/33dd/9faf_8082037229/s-l1600.jpg

View Quote

I had one of those Toro 2 cycle jobs (actually, I still have it).  You are right, it's super light and easy to maneuver(albeit loud).  If the snow is heavy and wet though it struggles.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Honda is the gold standard.
View Quote

Find an old gilson, and bolt a Honda engine to it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Kamala Harris is a pretty good blower according to Willy Brown
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 2:17:45 AM EDT
[#46]
I got a Honda.  It's great.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top