Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/15/2022 7:22:50 PM EDT
A comment in the Cold Steel Gunstock Club thread got me thinking. I believe it was SirenSong who said something like “every man needs an impractical melee weapon”, and I cannot find any fault in his logic. I began to realize that while I have many practical melee/edged weapons, I don’t yet have any impractical melee weapons, and I’ve decided it’s time to fix that. The impractical melee weapon I’ve chosen is the tactical shovel/spade:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPL-50

So, which one should I get? Should I go the classical Spetsnaz simple wood and steel version like the Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel, or should I get a modern tacticool all-black version with folding handle, serrated edges, compass, and stress ball? Who makes good ones, and which ones should I avoid? I would prefer to have one that stays on the shorter end to make sure it’s as impractical as possible for use as anything other than a melee weapon, and to keep it compact while sitting on the shelf. Pics with links would be helpful and appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Cold Steel Knives has a pretty close replication of the Spetznas shovel.

Get the OG one.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#2]
cold steel

(mic drop)
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
cold steel

(mic drop)
View Quote

That definitive huh? I shouldn’t be considering the Gerber folding e-tool?

https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/equipment/all-equipment/e-tool-pick-22-01945
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That definitive huh? I shouldn't be considering the Gerber folding e-tool?

https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/equipment/all-equipment/e-tool-pick-22-01945
View Quote
nyet.

if you must, pair your spetznaz shovel with a merican military pickaxe thing.

https://www.armynavywarehouse.com/product-page/us-military-pick-axe-steel-mattock
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#8]
How throwable does it need to be?
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#9]
WW1/WW2 German flat spade e-tool.

ETA: the Swiss and Romanian versions are similar.

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/german-wwii-square-head-entrenching-tool-schanzzeug

Another suggestion:

Commercial aircraft cockpit/crash axe
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Original Chinese army Multifunctional Military Shovel
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#11]
OP is funding Putin's war of terror on Ukraine.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#12]
What was that Soviet machete called? The USVR or something? Anybody selling those?
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Cold Steel - Special Forces Shovel
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#14]
USGI folding e tools break more easily than my cold steel shovel.  I’ve used the cold steel to chop, dig and pry and iit is still in one piece.

I seem to remember a US Marine called “E tool”.  He used a nonfolding e tool in close combat.  

I don’t think the cold steel,shovel is impractical.  A chandelier or bidet would be impractical.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What was that Soviet machete called? The USVR or something? Anybody selling those?
View Quote

This?
https://englishrussia.com/2019/01/14/taiga-1-soviet-spetznaz-machete-like-survival-tool/

Didn't US Cavalry or someone sell them in the late 80s? Maybe Atlanta Cutlery? I remember wanting one as a kid.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This?
https://englishrussia.com/2019/01/14/taiga-1-soviet-spetznaz-machete-like-survival-tool/

Didn't US Cavalry or someone sell them in the late 80s? Maybe Atlanta Cutlery? I remember wanting one as a kid.
View Quote
#metoo
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#17]
The Cold Steel chops pretty well, throws pretty well and I assume digs OK- I'm trying to remember actually digging with it.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
USGI folding e tools break more easily than my cold steel shovel.  I’ve used the cold steel to chop, dig and pry and iit is still in one peice.
View Quote

Yep.

Used the one in the car to chop an ice berm left behind by a snowplow (tall enough that the car would've gotten high centered on it). Did it without issue. I don't know that a collapsible shovel would've made it.

Depending on use, CS has the OG Spetznaz shovel, and a longer Trench shovel. If you might ever really need to dig a lot, the Trench shovel might be preferable. Head is also a little bigger (which means the OG cover doesn't fit).

Both are way more solid than any collapsible shovel/entrenching tool I've ever handled. Recommend wrapping the smooth handles with some hockey tape though. They're pretty damned slick, especially when wet.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A comment in the Cold Steel Gunstock Club thread got me thinking...
View Quote

Just buy the Cold Steel one.  I don't know why but I collect army E Tools and the cold steel one is overbuilt by most standards.  Its more than anyone would need while not being collectible so you can play with it 'til your heart's content.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Cold Steel chops pretty well, throws pretty well and I assume digs OK- I'm trying to remember actually digging with it.  
View Quote
makes for a damn fine cooking surface as well.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never thought of that but it would probably work better than a hoe.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Cold steel, I bought a shit load and gave them as gifts. Everyone loves them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#23]

SOLD
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:35:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This?

That is marvelous
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've got a Cold Steel shovel I use for camping/bushcraft stuff regularly. I broke the habdle after about 4hrs total dig time and the weld where the handle receiver wraps around broke as well. I had a local arfcommer, Gahunter95, install a new handle out of some fancy that I am convinced is tougher than the metal on the shovel itself. It works great now.

As far as military shovels or etools, look at the US AMES brand sold on ebay. Most are Vietnam era and built well. All of the modern and commercial etools are garbage and will break with rough use, even the usgi models. I recently grabbed a german military surplus etool and its built like the older US AMES version from Swisslink. Might want to give their site a look as that sort of stuff pops up there regularly or go to ebay or your local surplus store if you have one.
View Quote

I honestly have no real use for one of these things, especially not hard use. Just looking for something decently functional for the intended purpose that will sit on a shelf or in the trunk of a car for the foreseeable future.

At least until the zombie apocalypse
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That depends on how well you’ve domesticated her
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm, bacon and eggs.  Mine's in the middle of having the paint stripped* and I'd planned on parkerizing it but maybe I should just "season" it with some Crisco.  

*Whatever paint they use, Citristrip didn't do much so I decided to sandblast it; the blast cabinet gloves were dried out so got new gloves but haven't gotten back to the project.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#29]

I have a few of the $25 Finnish shovels from IMA and they are very nice.  Sorry, but I'm using a new tablet and can't figure out how to link.

ETA: I do not have a Cold Steel shovel, but I do have an authentic Russian shovel and it is underwhelming.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Cold Steel In Each of the vehicles.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a surplus Romanian etool, not in great shape though.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/15/2022 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#32]

I prefer a spade type blade b/c of the rocks we have here.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Bottleopener! It wins.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Any shovel and a good set of sharpening stones can turn a shovel into a melee weapon.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 12:19:26 AM EDT
[#36]
I swear by the Cold Steel shovel. I got stuck in mud in Wyoming once out on the range and dug out with the Cold Steel. It did take several hours but I got back to camp in time for dinner. I have had one in every vehicle since. I prefer the new longer handle version.

As to folding shovels, the only one worth a damn is the Glock.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Get one that’s actually tempered to hold up as a weapon.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 12:39:28 AM EDT
[#38]
If I had to fight with a shovel I'd prefer to use a 6' Razorback and use every lacrosse skill I had.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#39]
My vote goes to Cold Steel.  Inexpensive, rugged, well made.  Get the nylon carry case w/belt loops.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2022 12:49:32 AM EDT
[#40]

Interesting, but titanium isn't known for edge-holding or abrasion resistance.  Also, if you're going to swing it, you want something with heft.  I'd stick with steel.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 12:51:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Hmm, bacon and eggs.  Mine's in the middle of having the paint stripped* and I'd planned on parkerizing it but maybe I should just "season" it with some Crisco.  

*Whatever paint they use, Citristrip didn't do much so I decided to sandblast it; the blast cabinet gloves were dried out so got new gloves but haven't gotten back to the project.
View Quote

Aircraft Remover is the chemical you seek.  It ate the shit out of the same shitty black paint on my CS Pipe Hawk.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 1:22:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Oh my this thread has me wanting to spend money!

I keep a army surplus store folding shovel in a green GI belt sheath/carrier behind the seat of my truck. It's dug my truck out of the mud 5-6 times. Four wheelers and tractors plenty of times too. Works great for that and chopping small 1 inch or so branches and sapling down. I've had that and a old heavy 440c Walmart "bowie" knife behind the seat for years. Bowie knife holds a fine machete edge and is decent at chopping small stuff or processing real small wood to start a fire.

It'd work real good in a fight too, good handle, long heavy blade with a sharp but sturdy tip. I'd probably grab it over a shovel.

The cold steel shovel with the short or slightly longer handle would work great for what I do with my folder too. Probably better actually since even the short cold steel still has a longer handle than my folder I think. Don't discount being able to 90 degree the folding shovel into a kind of pickaxe/spade hoe like tool. Alternating between that and shoveling a man can clear a fair amount of dirt quickly.

recently bought a old Collins brand machete (no not the army/navy issue Collins & Co)  that was pretty rusty. I let it soak in a canoe of evaporust and sharpened it. It came out good as new with plenty of dark clean patina, vintage tough plastic handles and took a good edge. Probably gonna make a sheath for it out of some thin gauge aluminum sheet laying around. Thinking about keeping it in the truck and trading that cheap "Bowie" out for one of my small Becker fixed blades.

folding shovel, machete, and fixed blade camping knife. If someone pulled all that out in a zombie movie I'd call bullshit!

Jeez and the road flares, first aid kit, and ammunition for guns I don't even keep in the truck? I'm a rolling bad zombie movie!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 1:23:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If I had to fight with a shovel I'd prefer to use a 6' Razorback and use every lacrosse skill I had.
View Quote
The modern mans halberd?
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 5:51:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This?

View Quote

That’s the one. I remember seeing those in surplus shops shortly after the end of the Soviet Union and thinking “that’s cool, but I don’t want to cough up $50 for one.” Wish I had bought one in retrospect.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Cold Steel is the only one, unless you find a real Russian surplus.  I have Cold Steel, but bought one that is supposed to be titanium.  It's shit.

Stick with Cold Steel.  It's tough as nuts.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 7:50:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
How throwable does it need to be?
View Quote

Well you have to be able to do a flying somersault and throw it while inverted
If you can't do that yet, don't waste your money
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Ive had the cold steel version for probably 25 years now.  It lives in the back of my jeep now.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#49]

I got one of those last year, direct from the maker/seller in ruzzia   I think was listed on eBay
First one didn't show up after several months, complained and the guy reluctantly sent out another, which did show in maybe 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This?

View Quote

I bought one from AC.  It was a nice tool, heavy, rugged, just really solid.  I remember it had a hollow handle and the cap had a really sharp projection on it.  I think it was supposed to be an awl.  The drawback for me was the handle.  It was very squarish and the edges would hurt after some heavy usage.  I either sold it or gave it away decades ago.  Who knows, it could be in the bottom of a box in my garage somewheres.
Attachment Attached File

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top