Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#1]
At the range yesterday... the targets at 350 were in the shade and I could not see them with my aimpoint.  Grabbed my spr and at 2.5x magnification I could see them no problem. Being able to identify a target, friendly, or a stump should be considered
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I've actually been kicking around the idea of switching to a T1 and magnifier on my go-to rifle. I have a LPVO and piggyback RMR on it now, which is nice, but man it makes the rifle heavy along with the IR laser and especially when I put my RC2 on the end.

Pretty sure I would save almost a full pound by switching to the T1 and mag

I like having the option of 8x mag, but... realistically, I live in Florida, not the Appalachians.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont have a pistol yet, but all my dedicated Home Defense Guns have a Dot.
I am building a pistol right now and then switch one of my Dots from a 16" to a 10.5" and replace it there with a the primary arms 3x.

A dot is just superior in uncommon positions, imho with flashlight use as well. On Top of weight considerations.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've actually been kicking around the idea of switching to a T1 and magnifier on my go-to rifle. I have a LPVO and piggyback RMR on it now, which is nice, but man it makes the rifle heavy along with the IR laser and especially when I put my RC2 on the end.

I like having the option of 8x mag, but... realistically, I live in Florida, not the Appalachians.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/68140/20220408_123110_jpg-2436390.JPG
View Quote

1 - magnification isn’t just for distance.  When the shooting starts people tend to get behind things. So you’ll be shooting at heads peeking over car hoods or shoulders sticking out from behind trees or trying to find camoed dudes hiding in the brush. Magnification is king at any distance for that.

B - if you want to save weight ditch the laser. The future is now, passive nv rules the dark.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#5]
My 12.5 wears a lpvo.   I plan on adding an offset red dot in the future.   To me the weight penalty is worth the trade off to have a better positive id.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I went from a 1-4 Trijicon Credo, to an Aimpoint, to a Leupold 1-4, and have now settled on a PA 1X microprism on my shorty.

I have an astigmatism that made 200 yard hits a total gamble with a red dot, and even the lightweight Leupold was still heavier than I wanted.

While quality and country of manufacture could be improved, the PA is the closest I’ve found to the perfect optic for a shorty.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The eye relief on the 3x isn't great. The glx 2x has much better eye relief.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Could try primary arms new micro prism,
1x for cqb or 3x for help with positive  ID.
I have a steiner on 1 and eotech on the other.
Eotechs are fast but obviously  battery life sucks.

The eye relief on the 3x isn't great. The glx 2x has much better eye relief.

It's like double that of acogs
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you're adding a red dot then why not a mid power scope like a 3-9 or 2-10? If non illuminated is ok (since there's a red dot) there are some very lightweight mid powers; you could have a scope, mount and dot for less weight than an LPVO and mount. Better at the top end than a 1-x too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It looks like these days LPVO + offset micro red dot is the best do it all solution.

I really like the simplicity of a dedicated red dot and haven't done any serious shooting with a magnified optic, but need to when the weather cools down.

If you're adding a red dot then why not a mid power scope like a 3-9 or 2-10? If non illuminated is ok (since there's a red dot) there are some very lightweight mid powers; you could have a scope, mount and dot for less weight than an LPVO and mount. Better at the top end than a 1-x too.

I've toyed with that idea. I've got a 2.5-10x32 vortex on a .308 bolt gun. The reticle is really only useful above 5-6x which is fine for a hunting rifle. I've thought about adding it to a 14.5" carbine with a rmr but then think about that's a lot of un needed weight so I start thinking about a fixed 6x Leupold and a RMR and then I get lost in the weeds and just stick to my Aimpoint pro
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My 11.5 started with a LPVO

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/184940/9BC29F3B-10CA-42E5-B07D-2785D94C698D_jpe-2435920.JPG

Then swapped to a eotech with magnifier

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/184940/1AD2AE02-D399-4FBF-BC40-5D50BBA7A30A_jpe-2435922.JPG

Dropped the magnifier. Now sold the eotech. Looking for an ACOG
View Quote

You're only 20 years behind!
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#10]
My NX8 1-8x is a great option.  I don't need a red dot.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
At the range yesterday... the targets at 350 were in the shade and I could not see them with my aimpoint.  Grabbed my spr and at 2.5x magnification I could see them no problem. Being able to identify a target, friendly, or a stump should be considered
View Quote

I was going to post this. Picking out targets in broken terrain is much easier with magnification. It's really the only reason why I'm always thinking about getting something new on my do everything carbine.

I was shooting the other day with an 18" rifle and 4x Leupold and it was much easier to pick out my targets where I shoot in the woods.

Definitely not a do everything rifle but like I said above. I have thought about adding a RMR.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd go red dot for an 11.5".  QD magnifier in case you need it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd go red dot for an 11.5".  QD magnifier in case you need it.
View Quote

I feel like thats the way Im going to lean
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I put the optic on the rifle that makes the most sense for what I'm trying to do with it. So I guess all of the above? I'm running different optics on a 9" 5lb SBR than I am on an 18" 3gun rifle.

I will say that I think ACOGs are verging on obsolescence at this point... IMHO, the sole reason to run one now is getting magnification without as much of a weight hit as a reflex+QDmagnifier setup. These modern reflex sights with BDC are pretty great. And, IMHO, you could make a pretty good argument that the extra ~6oz of weight is well spent on the magnifier+reflex setup given the much better 1x capability (which you'd need an offset/top-mount reflex sight to replicate with an ACOG anyways... more weight.).
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#15]
One thing to consider is your eyes, especially if you need correction. SHTF and you lose your glasses or contacts (or have old man eyes) a LPVO could help out.
I have 12" do all with a LPVO as well as a 18". Everthing else HD wise has red dots.

So in the ways of ARF - GET BOTH
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I like both, so my solution was to do both.

10.5 with a CompM5 and a 12.5 with a 1-4 Accupower.

Shots on animals at our ranch are usually 50-200 yards.  Having some magnification with a simple, yet usable reticle is nice.  Hit's on steel at 500 yards are easy.

I do have a 3X Aimpoint magnifier on a Scalarworks mount but rarely use it.  It is great for adding PID capabilities or hitting tighter shots. I don't really see it as something that extends the range of a stand alone red dot.  In fact i'm probably getting rid of it soon.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#17]
So i've tried a handful of different red dots and LPVOs on short barreled stuff.  Your use case sounds most like a red dot to me.  

Might i suggest the Trijicon MRO?  battery lasts over a year, so you just leave it on.  I like the shake awake in theory, but have never been able to get it to work reliably on my romeo 3 equipped SBR.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Compm5 or NX8, flip a coin, other than acog probably the best shtf optics out there.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#19]
My 11.5" SBR has an Eotech, no magnifier.

My 16" has an LPVO.

My 18" AR308 has a 4-16x scope on it.

I'm thinking about building a 16" rifle for my wife and will put a red dot on it for her.  She does well with the red dot on my S&W MP15-22.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not at all. I'm thinking a 1-6 or 8 on a 12.5 Grendel for my next rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I must be weird, I love LPVOs on SBRs.

Not at all. I'm thinking a 1-6 or 8 on a 12.5 Grendel for my next rifle.
I have a 1-6 on my 12.5 Grendel with an offset rds and I really dig this setup.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Primary arms red dots decent? Looks like their best one and a magnifier can be had for $500 with the mounts
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I must be weird, I love LPVOs on SBRs.
View Quote

Not at all! Hit the Mini Recce photo thread!

Mini Recce photo thread!
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Not sure where everyone here uses their RD/LPVO rifles, but I use mine for an indoor IDPA style match, where target are behind vision barriers and around corners.

I prefer and use a 1x prism scope now, but for a year or so I used an LPVO.

The one thing I've learned (at least for me), is that as tempting as it is to set it on 1.5x or even 2x thinking it will be better for the 20yrd head shot, it really messes me up for quick acquisition, slows my time down and kills my score.

If I hadn't tried it several time, I'm not sure I would have believed it.

So, my only opinion/recommendation is that if you're planning on using an LPVO for defense, Keep it on 1X while not in use.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Got NODs?
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm good with a dot out to about 150 yards on a man sized target, after that my astigmatism takes over and I can't see shit even with it turned way down. I've shot enough competitive matches now with my 11.5 that I know anything past 150 on white steel in afternoon sun is a real bastard for me.

A quality, illuminated LPVO with an RMR top-mounted or at a 45 degree is what I would pick on a duty gun, hands down, if the option were given... but I'm sticking with a dot-only on my 11.5 as it's also my night fighting gun and I want to retain the ability to aim/shoot passively under NODs.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Tag as I am trying to make the same decision.  

This thread makes it harder!  Yet it’s very informative.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#28]
The biggest issue I have with LPVOs is the size and weight of them.

If you need a scope that goes to 8x, get a scope, THEN put the dot offset/on top.

If you need something that goes to 300m, dot/eothingie with 3x (5x) is better overall as you can leave the mag off until you need it.

I wanted to love the LPVO, I was convinced by folks who I usually think are super smart that they're the way...  then I got one and used it a while and realized that they're (the LPVO) trying hard to be everything to everyone and not quite doing the job as well as dedicated optics.

So...  99% of the time, eotech with 3x mag, I have a 4x ACOG with RMR on top I can swap to should the need arise.   I don't really ever foresee shooting much past 300m with my 5.56 guns, I have an AR10 with a real scope for that.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Get both.  You can always cheap out with some cheaper gear to see what feels right.

I have a T2 with QD 3x-mag on a 12.5, but I bought a cheap LVPO/red dot setup to see how that felt.  Burris Rt-6, Holosun 407k, Aero mount, and Valhalla mount for the dot goes about $600-700 total.  I like it a lot more than I thought I would, but a T2 is hard to beat weight wise.  You're not gonna need magnifcation in your house unless you're the average Arfcom mansion enthusiest.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/68140/20220408_123110_jpg-2436390.JPG
View Quote

I’m in Florida too. I feel the same way. It’s perfectly flat here, and there’s vegetation everywhere. In a SHTF situation, I can’t imagine being able to see past 50 yards.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I've toyed with that idea. I've got a 2.5-10x32 vortex on a .308 bolt gun. The reticle is really only useful above 5-6x which is fine for a hunting rifle. I've thought about adding it to a 14.5" carbine with a rmr but then think about that's a lot of un needed weight so I start thinking about a fixed 6x Leupold and a RMR and then I get lost in the weeds and just stick to my Aimpoint pro
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It looks like these days LPVO + offset micro red dot is the best do it all solution.

I really like the simplicity of a dedicated red dot and haven't done any serious shooting with a magnified optic, but need to when the weather cools down.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going to post this. Picking out targets in broken terrain is much easier with magnification. It's really the only reason why I'm always thinking about getting something new on my do everything carbine.

I was shooting the other day with an 18" rifle and 4x Leupold and it was much easier to pick out my targets where I shoot in the woods.

Definitely not a do everything rifle but like I said above. I have thought about adding a RMR.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20220629_135405_jpg-2436421.JPG

I like it! I picked up a demo Mark AR 3-9 a while back, haven't shot it yet but have mounted it*. 3x is awesome, big field of view and I can keep both eyes open. It'll be going on a lightweight 20, possibly with a dot. I have a 2.5x Leupold on my primary, you might give that a try on your 14.5.

*Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#32]
10.5: T1
11.5: TA33 + RMR
12.5: NX8 + RMR

Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I am not that poster but for me…NV.
View Quote

My eyes won't do the BAC. Also the piggy back is great for weird positions.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Dupe
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Nice blaster.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top