User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Does anybody sell anything similar to those cox-powered planes? I'm guessing they are too dangerous to our current generations?

Bastards! What has happened to our country?
View Quote

Everything is RC, almost.  And electric
I am glad all the modern electric motors are out there.   Nitro engines were a big hassle for me, and most needed a lot of room to fly
Now I can fly in the small(ish) field behind me, it’s bigger than a football field.

But if you’re looking for control line stuff, look up Brodak.   They are located and make stuff in a little town called Carmichaels, Pa

https://www.brodak.com/

They have a big hobby shop in town.   All the RC and CL models they make, plus some other lines.  And some foam too.   Radios, engines, covering, everything you need to build.   Also some plastic models, but not the newer high end stuff like RFM, Takom, Meng, etc
DVDs too, I guess they don’t have fiber optic cable down there.  

And there are still lots of guys building scale free flight rubber powered models.   Some of those guys are real artists/craftsmen.   Beautiful models and they fly incredible.  Not like any I managed to finish and fly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:03:15 AM EDT
[#2]
My Dad had one. Made by Cox. Called the PT-19 trainer. All plastic, wings held on with multiple rubber bands. Engine was one of those Cox .049 minis.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:22:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I had the Cox P-51 back in the 80s.   I recall that engine was a bitch to get started, I almost wore the teeth off the yellow plastic starter ripcord.  Finally, I did get it running and flying but the letdown was palpable.   I don't know what ended up happening to it, probably unsurvivable battle damage.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:32:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:39:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Funny. Not sure mine even really flew.
View Quote

Interesting thing about some of the comments in this thread.

The Cox surestart engines were pretty anemic and the RTF airplanes very heavy.  They were not race planes by any stretch.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:50:21 AM EDT
[#6]
My dad had a p47 thunderbolt, .049 line control made of balsa. He had it hung up in the rafters of his shop, and as young as 4 I would look up with awe at it, thought it was the coolest toy in the world. Once or twice we took it out into the field and he quite skillfully flew it, but landing it when it ran dry of fuel was the most difficult part. It eventually became pockmarked with crash damage that my dad dutifully repaired with wood glue - we called it "the tough T-bolt". Finally we retired it and hung it back up in the rafters, and when I was about 12 we got the PT-19 plastic trainer. My dad flew it a bit, but when I tried I looped it and augured it in straight down at full power, smashing it to bits. That was the end of line-control for me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:01:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Coming out thread.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had the Corsair.  I wonder if it's still at my parents house.
View Quote

I miss mine
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Everything is RC, almost.  And electric
I am glad all the modern electric motors are out there.   Nitro engines were a big hassle for me, and most needed a lot of room to fly
Now I can fly in the small(ish) field behind me, it’s bigger than a football field.

But if you’re looking for control line stuff, look up Brodak.   They are located and make stuff in a little town called Carmichaels, Pa

https://www.brodak.com/

They have a big hobby shop in town.   All the RC and CL models they make, plus some other lines.  And some foam too.   Radios, engines, covering, everything you need to build.   Also some plastic models, but not the newer high end stuff like RFM, Takom, Meng, etc
DVDs too, I guess they don’t have fiber optic cable down there.  

And there are still lots of guys building scale free flight rubber powered models.   Some of those guys are real artists/craftsmen.   Beautiful models and they fly incredible.  Not like any I managed to finish and fly.
View Quote

Wow, Brodak has a bunch of great kits!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Someone say they wanted a build thread?  

Attachment Attached File

Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Yall should see the monoline speed racers with pulse jets.  200 mph in a circle.
200 MPH+ control line *ORANGE MONSTER HIGH SPEED PULSE JET*
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:52:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had the Corsair.  I wonder if it's still at my parents house.
View Quote

That is the one I had. Never killed it. It was quietly disappeared in a PCS move...I'm still bitter
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

This guy makes absolutely stunning models that fly as good as they look.

Build & Fly the 24" Lockheed Altair - Start to Finish

I have had a Guillows Nieuport on a shelf for years but haven’t started it due to intimidation.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 7:09:22 AM EDT
[#14]
GBRSE
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
GBRSE
View Quote

I don't know what that means.  

Maybe an hour worth of work.  Stuff fits okay, I forgot the kits from Willy Nillies annoy me a bit, but goes together alright.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Didn't read the thread.  But, I am one of many who flew a Cox plane and got dizzy and fell down.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I flew the Cox PT-19 and while it was "tough" fly it on a hard surface and sooner or later it was shards of colorful plastic.

I did build my own Balsa Wood Control like aircraft.  Learned a lot about effects of modifications like Center of Gravity, Adding Flaps (slowed plane to much that control line tauntness was a problem, bigger wheels (tried to make a Alaska Look Bush Plane) and other factors.

Great thing was the Engine almost always survived, so one .049 engine may go to 4 or 5 different aircraft over it's life span.

Good Times were had & it increased my love of Aviation!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Maybe an hour worth of work.  Stuff fits okay, I forgot the kits from Willy Nillies annoy me a bit, but goes together alright.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/215973/babyringmaster1_jpg-2096272.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/215973/babyringmaster3_jpg-2096273.JPG
View Quote
Go Be Rich Somewhere Else with all your engines
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:02:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pffft, just the stuff I swept out from under the workbench.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is awesome! Brings back memories from my childhood! I'm retiring next year and am going to have to build a couple of kits for old times sake!
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Moar Cox!
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Oh c'mon! I know a bunch more people here have stories of their control line exploits!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#24]
So what, control line just died and R/C has taken over?
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I would never doubt GD's love of Cox. I have been a little wrapped up in some other projects, I need to decide covering for my Baby Ringmaster.

I might do tissue, micafilm or just breakdown and do monocote.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Moar Cox!
View Quote

Phrasing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I used to fly Fast Rat back in the day. 170ish mph
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They were very hard to control and had a very short life due to crashes
View Quote

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top