BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in the business and I agree with Hockey. Sounds like you're in the business, but support this shit to help edge out your competition.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
As far as the crowd that makes the statement that if you can't afford $2250.00 a year your doing it wrong, get over yourselves. Your clearly not in the business.

Oh really?  That's funny...

I'm in the business and I agree with Hockey. Sounds like you're in the business, but support this shit to help edge out your competition.

I welcome legitimate competition.

The guys fucking shit up in their garage for people who don't know any better are not my competition.  They need to stick to fucking up their own guns and stop calling themselves "gunsmiths."

Then again, maybe I should be encouraging them because someone has to fix their screw ups.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yeah, because wishing the market had fewer idiots fucking people's guns up for money is the exact same as supporting restrictions on machineguns.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Getting a barrel cut down and having a flash hider pinned on it will go the way of the dodo. So will removing a  pinned FSB, or installing one. Scratch getting a barrel threaded to your choice, too, as the gunsmith has to pay a $2250 annual fee to do that kind of work.
Found the new regs. Cutting, drilling, and tapping for sight installation is specifically exempted.

It's ridiculous change only made to hurt the industry, but as far as actually hurting your ability to have the work performed, I doubt it will. It will cut down the options of where to have it done, but a lot of the larger operations doing stuff like this are either already ITAR registered or won't have any problem swinging a couple thousand bucks a year to stay compliant. A small bump in prices will easily cover it if you're doing much work at all. The guys it will kill off are the small time guys who do it on the side or just serve small communities, which is truly sad.

While I agree that the new ITAR regs are bullshit, for every small time guy worth a damn, there are 50 "gunsmiths" that are fucking up people's shit.

Hopefully those guys will give it up because of this [ITAR] and the legitimate small time smiths will see a big enough bump in business to cover ITAR and turn a hefty profit.

I'm just glad we have the 86 MG ban in place.   To keep prices high so all the poor scum can't afford them.

That's how you sound in case you were wondering why I wrote that.

Yeah, because wishing the market had fewer idiots fucking people's guns up for money is the exact same as supporting restrictions on machineguns.

You just stated that you hoped ITAR would force smaller smiths out of the market.   You acknowledged that ITAR is, itself, bullshit, that the fees are bullshit, but that you hope that the outcome of this bullshit would force people you don't like out of business.  

Yes, it is exactly the same thing.   I'm sure I'm not the only person that sees it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:50:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

A couple of points to your post:

If you are doing any Gunsmithing, even as a hobby and you are charging a fee for it you are considered "in the course of business" and you must have a FFL.
The FFL cost is minimal, $200.00 every 3 years which is a reasonable cost for a hobbyist business to absorb.
The vast majority of working Gunsmiths are 01 licensed, you don't have to be a 07 "Manufacturer" to modify/repair firearms.

The remainder of your post is dead bang on.

As far as the crowd that makes the statement that if you can't afford $2250.00 a year your doing it wrong, get over yourselves. Your clearly not in the business. My best year when I was full time showed $24,000 after my accountant was done with all the taxes(36% bracket) and deductions etc. $2250.00 a year is a serious chunk of that, nearly 10%. Many small businesses cannot afford 10% of their profit to be sucked up by fees.

But let's look at the part time guy which is the majority of Gunsmiths. A large amount are retirees such as myself that do it as an additional source of income or as a hobby income. Even the BATFE IOI's that I spoke with regarding this "Guidance Letter" feel it is unwarranted and excessive.
Going off of my last year's taxes between them and now an additional $2250.00 annually I will basically have to work for free for 4-5 months of the year just to stay on the right side of the Feds. Who can afford that?
I dropped a good chunk of change to an ITAR compliance attorney plus spoke with 2 ITAR compliance officers for a manufacturing firm where a buddy works.

Here is the bottom line- if your are engaged in business in any form as a Gunsmith and so much as put a file to metal (remove material), this "Guidance Letter" and ITAR registration applies to you.
This document is so broadly and poorly written that it applies to every Gunsmith.
There is a statement in it that if you use "Specialized Equipment" you are a "Manufacturer". Guess what? A Sight Pusher is "Specialized Equipment", just as a bore sighter, a sear jig, a dovetail cutter and a range rod is.

For the crowd that is of the "Fuck them, I'm doing it anyway" mentality, go nuts. Granted the odds of getting tripped up on this are likely pretty small but just how much cash/assets do you have on hand to fight a long and drawn out legal battle against the .gov machine?

I can't swing the $2250.00 registration fee at this time let alone hundreds of thousands in legal defense fees.

The compliance officers I spoke with did feel there would be changes to this decree, they had just gotten back from an ITAR conference and they said the during the conference this "Guidance Letter" was the bulk of discussion. The firearms industry is livid over this.
But who knows when we may see some changes?
Possibly a restructuring of the fees or stepping back the regulations is in the future but until then my doors are closed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Getting a barrel cut down and having a flash hider pinned on it will go the way of the dodo. So will removing a  pinned FSB, or installing one. Scratch getting a barrel threaded to your choice, too, as the gunsmith has to pay a $2250 annual fee to do that kind of work.

Now consider the guys doing custom 1911 or Glock work. Nope, they have to pay up or stop doing it.

What I think we will see is a lot more AR gas blocks that clamp on and AR builders buying parts that are finished only. I think it will put a big crimp in 14.5" pinned barrels being done after the purchase. For AR's it may backfire as makers learn to leave parts more interchangeable with no alterations necessary to modify it. Handgunners not so much unless the makers include that kind of philosophy. Like rear sights in dovetails and front sights replaceable, rather than milled integral.   But do stuff like flare a magwell or undercut a trigger guard? ITAR from what I see. So there will be pressure for makers to offer a variety of different options, and Bubba will start working over his guns himself even more as gunsmiths turn the jobs away.

You need to be firm with your representatives about getting this stopped. There's no real harm in modifying our firearms and the international implications are actually to send more work out to their factories. It's anti competitive and allows the foreign gun makers leverage over American smiths making alterations after the fact.

Just another example of selling our freedom for no gain in security.

False. I got my license and went 07 knowing all of this. If 2250 makes or breaks your business, you were terrible anyway.

Are you fucking kidding me?

When you do gunsmithing as a hobby out of your garage as a hobby, doing things like barrel chops/threading/crowning, pin/weld, trigger work, slide/frame fitment, stippling, assembling, installing/fitting components, applying metal/stock finishes and other such things on such a small scale, you'd be lucky to make five grand a year.

If you suddenly have to become an FFL, fill out ridiculous and asinine amounts of paperwork while also paying over two grand every year for a ridiculous tax that was applied to you by executive fiat, that will put you out of business.

Why? Because your hobby is no longer worth the cost and effort.

The whole fucking point of Obama doing this is to fuck over small businesses, and attack the infrastructure of the Second Amendment. That jug-eared cocksucker just sucker punched us because he fucking felt like it.

And if we let this sort of shit slide, then another president is going to have the ITAR tax jacked up to five grand a year. Then it'll jump to 10K. Then 20K. As always, this communist shit is just one more step towards outlawing gun ownership.

A couple of points to your post:

If you are doing any Gunsmithing, even as a hobby and you are charging a fee for it you are considered "in the course of business" and you must have a FFL.
The FFL cost is minimal, $200.00 every 3 years which is a reasonable cost for a hobbyist business to absorb.
The vast majority of working Gunsmiths are 01 licensed, you don't have to be a 07 "Manufacturer" to modify/repair firearms.

The remainder of your post is dead bang on.

As far as the crowd that makes the statement that if you can't afford $2250.00 a year your doing it wrong, get over yourselves. Your clearly not in the business. My best year when I was full time showed $24,000 after my accountant was done with all the taxes(36% bracket) and deductions etc. $2250.00 a year is a serious chunk of that, nearly 10%. Many small businesses cannot afford 10% of their profit to be sucked up by fees.

But let's look at the part time guy which is the majority of Gunsmiths. A large amount are retirees such as myself that do it as an additional source of income or as a hobby income. Even the BATFE IOI's that I spoke with regarding this "Guidance Letter" feel it is unwarranted and excessive.
Going off of my last year's taxes between them and now an additional $2250.00 annually I will basically have to work for free for 4-5 months of the year just to stay on the right side of the Feds. Who can afford that?
I dropped a good chunk of change to an ITAR compliance attorney plus spoke with 2 ITAR compliance officers for a manufacturing firm where a buddy works.

Here is the bottom line- if your are engaged in business in any form as a Gunsmith and so much as put a file to metal (remove material), this "Guidance Letter" and ITAR registration applies to you.
This document is so broadly and poorly written that it applies to every Gunsmith.
There is a statement in it that if you use "Specialized Equipment" you are a "Manufacturer". Guess what? A Sight Pusher is "Specialized Equipment", just as a bore sighter, a sear jig, a dovetail cutter and a range rod is.

For the crowd that is of the "Fuck them, I'm doing it anyway" mentality, go nuts. Granted the odds of getting tripped up on this are likely pretty small but just how much cash/assets do you have on hand to fight a long and drawn out legal battle against the .gov machine?

I can't swing the $2250.00 registration fee at this time let alone hundreds of thousands in legal defense fees.

The compliance officers I spoke with did feel there would be changes to this decree, they had just gotten back from an ITAR conference and they said the during the conference this "Guidance Letter" was the bulk of discussion. The firearms industry is livid over this.
But who knows when we may see some changes?
Possibly a restructuring of the fees or stepping back the regulations is in the future but until then my doors are closed.

Well done. I also am "in the business" and I'm doing it "right". To be competitive I have to structure my fees according to the dictates of my competitors doing the exact same work. I'm no millionaire. After taking some of the earnings & putting it back into consumables & upgrades to equipment (and I do have lathes & mills that need to be maintained to remain accurate) there's barely a profit at the end of the year. To do good work in this business, one must be fair, fast & GOOD or the doors get shuttered. This is going to hurt a lot of guys like us.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The guys fucking shit up in their garage for people who don't know any better are not my competition.  They need to stick to fucking up their own guns and stop calling themselves "gunsmiths."

Then again, maybe I should be encouraging them because someone has to fix their screw ups.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as the crowd that makes the statement that if you can't afford $2250.00 a year your doing it wrong, get over yourselves. Your clearly not in the business.

Who died and made you the pope?   Do you work for the government or something?   You sure sound like it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You just stated that you hoped ITAR would force smaller smiths out of the market.   You acknowledged that ITAR is, itself, bullshit, that the fees are bullshit, but that you hope that the outcome of this bullshit would force people you don't like out of business.  

Yes, it is exactly the same thing.   I'm sure I'm not the only person that sees it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While I agree that the new ITAR regs are bullshit, for every small time guy worth a damn, there are 50 "gunsmiths" that are fucking up people's shit.
Hopefully those guys will give it up because of this [ITAR] and the legitimate small time smiths will see a big enough bump in business to cover ITAR and turn a hefty profit.

I'm just glad we have the 86 MG ban in place.   To keep prices high so all the poor scum can't afford them.

You must work for the media.  Instead of taking what I say and twisting it like a dipshit, how about you read what the fuck I'm typing?  It's right there in plain English so you don't even have to apply your "what is he really saying" bullshit filter to it.

"and the legitimate small time smiths will see a big enough bump in business to cover ITAR and turn a hefty profit."

It's not about "people I don't like."  It's about people who shouldn't touch another person's gun and certainly shouldn't be paid for fucking people's shit up.

If someone does good work, they should live long and prosper.  If someone is swindling their customers out of money and performing god-awful work, they should go out of business and choke on a bag of dicks.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Who died and made you the pope?   Do you work for the government or something?   You sure sound like it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL

Keep twisting words.  Maybe you'll find work at MSNBC.

It's pretty fucking clear that I'm talking about guys who do shitty work.  Are you one of them?  You sure sound like it.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I must do shitty work because I think this new ruling is horseshit, too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#8]
All I have to say is: "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

Not that I want it to come to that - I've seen war up close and personal in real time - but things have gotten so far out of hand, I honestly believe it is the only way. Does anyone but me think that if our 18th century Forefathers were witness to the "freedom" we have in our current time, they would have the feathers plucked and the tar boiling by now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get your drift Cypher but you come across like an arrogant ass.
Just how long have you been out under your own shingle? You sound just like a guy I work with who just graduated Gumsmiffin Skool, full of piss and vinegar and mighty full of themselves. The schools would do good by teaching a dose of humility.

I have built a very well respected Smithing business out of my garage just as many other accomplished Smiths have. I have a solid, long term customer base that has been earned by excellent work, fair prices and treating people right.
Just because somebody cannot afford a brick and mortar storefront or chooses not to partner up with a gun shop does not mean they do not turn out quality work.
I know just what you mean by fixing hacks fuck ups, I have spent more than my share of unfucking others work.
Funny thing is, those guys are no longer in business but I still am (until this ITAR crap).
This industry has a way of weeding out the hacks, it harbors no fools and bad news travels fast.
It is "self cleaning" if you will.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You must work for the media.  Instead of taking what I say and twisting it like a dipshit, how about you read what the fuck I'm typing?  It's right there in plain English so you don't even have to apply your "what is he really saying" bullshit filter to it.

"and the legitimate small time smiths will see a big enough bump in business to cover ITAR and turn a hefty profit."

It's not about "people I don't like."  It's about people who shouldn't touch another person's gun and certainly shouldn't be paid for fucking people's shit up.

If someone does good work, they should live long and prosper.  If someone is swindling their customers out of money and performing god-awful work, they should go out of business and choke on a bag of dicks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you want government to be your knight in shining armor to make that happen.   Based on a criteria of not having enough sales volume to be profitable in spite of a hefty entry fee into the marketplace.

Please.  Elaborate further for us on your theory of low sales volume = shitty gunsmith who needs to be put out of business by the government.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The free flow of information scares the fuck out of them. Hence trying to control the Internet. Obama is going to violate law and hand control of ICANN to internationalists.

For those that don't know.
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is an American private nonprofit organization that is responsible for coordinating the maintenance and procedures of several databases related to the namespaces of the Internet - thereby ensuring the network's stable and secure operation. ICANN performs the actual technical maintenance work of the central Internet address pools and DNS Root registries pursuant to the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) function contract.

Much of its work has concerned the Internet's global Domain Name System, including policy development for internationalization of the DNS system, introduction of new generic top-level domains (TLDs), and the operation of root name servers. The numbering facilities ICANN manages include the Internet Protocol address spaces for IPv4 and IPv6, and assignment of address blocks to regional Internet registries. ICANN also maintains registries of Internet protocol identifiers.

ICANN was created on September 18, 1998, and incorporated on September 30, 1998 in the state of California. It is headquartered in the Playa Vista neighborhood of the city of Los Angeles.

Two Months Left Until Obama Gives Dictators Control of Internet

Breitbart News noted in 2014: U.S. control of domain names has guaranteed freedom of speech and commerce across the Internet, against the strenuous efforts of countries like China and Iran to suppress Internet traffic and content. In addition, victims of international terror have found potential relief in U.S. courts by suing to seize the domain names of countries like Iran in lieu of direct compensation. Without U.S. control, those victims would have no possible recourse.

The Republican-controlled House passed legislation in 2014 to defund the ICANN transfer, and in 2015 to provide Congress with a 30-day period to review it when it happens. Earlier this year, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) and Rep. Sean Duffy (R-WI) introduced the Protecting Internet Freedom Act to prevent the transfer without Congressional approval.

The Battle Over Obama's Internet Surrender

It’s make or break for the internet as we know it. Unless Congress acts this summer, the Obama administration will end U.S. protection of the internet, handing authoritarian regimes the power they have long sought to censor the web globally, including in the U.S.

The battle lines were drawn last week when the Obama administration backed a plan submitted by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, or Icann, to free itself in September from the U.S. oversight that has kept the internet open since the 1990s. In response, bills were introduced in the Senate and House to block the Obama internet surrender.

The administration falsely spins the U.S. role as "largely clerical.” In fact, U.S. control over Icann and the root zone of the internet though a Commerce Department contract stops China, Russia and others from interfering with the engineers, developers and others who operate the open internet.

Instead of shielding the internet from governments, the plan gives governments new powers. Authoritarian regimes would gain greater influence over the Icann board, and for the first time governments would have a vote on bylaw changes, removal of the board and the budget.

The Obama administration knows that the new internet-governance plan offers nothing like the guaranteed open internet under continued U.S. control.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It affects everything. You can't discuss a multitude of electronic hobbies anymore on open forums.

How so? Can you give any examples? I don't know anything about that side of it.

They tried to put people in jail a decade ago for publishing their own encryption method.    Because of ITAR.

Clearly, the first amendment doesn't apply to math problems, I guess.
The free flow of information scares the fuck out of them. Hence trying to control the Internet. Obama is going to violate law and hand control of ICANN to internationalists.

For those that don't know.
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is an American private nonprofit organization that is responsible for coordinating the maintenance and procedures of several databases related to the namespaces of the Internet - thereby ensuring the network's stable and secure operation. ICANN performs the actual technical maintenance work of the central Internet address pools and DNS Root registries pursuant to the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) function contract.

Much of its work has concerned the Internet's global Domain Name System, including policy development for internationalization of the DNS system, introduction of new generic top-level domains (TLDs), and the operation of root name servers. The numbering facilities ICANN manages include the Internet Protocol address spaces for IPv4 and IPv6, and assignment of address blocks to regional Internet registries. ICANN also maintains registries of Internet protocol identifiers.

ICANN was created on September 18, 1998, and incorporated on September 30, 1998 in the state of California. It is headquartered in the Playa Vista neighborhood of the city of Los Angeles.

Two Months Left Until Obama Gives Dictators Control of Internet

Breitbart News noted in 2014: U.S. control of domain names has guaranteed freedom of speech and commerce across the Internet, against the strenuous efforts of countries like China and Iran to suppress Internet traffic and content. In addition, victims of international terror have found potential relief in U.S. courts by suing to seize the domain names of countries like Iran in lieu of direct compensation. Without U.S. control, those victims would have no possible recourse.

The Republican-controlled House passed legislation in 2014 to defund the ICANN transfer, and in 2015 to provide Congress with a 30-day period to review it when it happens. Earlier this year, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) and Rep. Sean Duffy (R-WI) introduced the Protecting Internet Freedom Act to prevent the transfer without Congressional approval.

The Battle Over Obama's Internet Surrender

It’s make or break for the internet as we know it. Unless Congress acts this summer, the Obama administration will end U.S. protection of the internet, handing authoritarian regimes the power they have long sought to censor the web globally, including in the U.S.

The battle lines were drawn last week when the Obama administration backed a plan submitted by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, or Icann, to free itself in September from the U.S. oversight that has kept the internet open since the 1990s. In response, bills were introduced in the Senate and House to block the Obama internet surrender.

The administration falsely spins the U.S. role as "largely clerical.” In fact, U.S. control over Icann and the root zone of the internet though a Commerce Department contract stops China, Russia and others from interfering with the engineers, developers and others who operate the open internet.

Instead of shielding the internet from governments, the plan gives governments new powers. Authoritarian regimes would gain greater influence over the Icann board, and for the first time governments would have a vote on bylaw changes, removal of the board and the budget.

The Obama administration knows that the new internet-governance plan offers nothing like the guaranteed open internet under continued U.S. control.

So how does ICANN screw up the internet for people like us that just come to this site or a few other sites? I just read some articles on ICANN and to be honest I don't understand anything in the articles as I am a dumbass when it comes to shit on the internet but I do know how to "Punch In" web addresses

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nope. You must now get your 07 FFL because:
1- you are engaged in business
2- you enhanced the value of the firearm and resold it for profit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So "gunsmith" buys firearm to be worked on for $1. He does what ever he wants because it's his. Sells it back for 1$ plus value of work. Done.

Yep. That was already specifically addressed in differentiating between a gunsmith and a manufacturer prior to the ITAR ruling Itar is just icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep. That was already specifically addressed in differentiating between a gunsmith and a manufacturer prior to the ITAR ruling Itar is just icing on the cake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So "gunsmith" buys firearm to be worked on for $1. He does what ever he wants because it's his. Sells it back for 1$ plus value of work. Done.

Look its ok guys.   This is just going to put all the shitty gunsmiths out of business.   This will actually be a plus for all the good gunsmiths.   See, once all the shitty small-time gunsmiths go starve in a gutter, we'll be forced to use only good gunsmiths.

Isn't government great?  Remember to thank government in your prayers tonight.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Faced with that, don't be surprised when someone makes interesting times for the arresting agents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meanwhile, thousands of gunsmiths are still in business around the country, with no intent on stopping business.

Gave up too easily if you ask me.

20 years in PMITA prison sounds fun.

Faced with that, don't be surprised when someone makes interesting times for the arresting agents.

Yes Sir. I live around some people out here in hillbilly land that have had enough and planned accordingly to show they have had enough of the Obamunists ruining the country and many of them are vets and some aren't

All this made me think back to when I was a kid, when no one would have thought actual communists not only exist in this country but flaunt it and no one thought these people would be in our government

I am old though and maybe the younger people were brought up different

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#15]
So is this in effect right now or is there some kind of discussion period or period to at least spread the word?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't the free market apply here, as in if someone fucks people's guns up then no one will give them any business.

What about the people, say a retired machinist that has a mill, lathe and radial arm drill in his garage and does stuff for family, neighbors and some neighbor's relatives for free? Does this new ITAR crap pertain to them or does it just hamper people that charge for 10 minute job on a mill?

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#18]
And I think Blackthorne/Vulcan/ their 87 other names proves that just because a company does high volume, doesn't mean they're legit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Doesn't the free market apply here, as in if someone fucks people's guns up then no one will give them any business.

What about the people, say a retired machinist that has a mill, lathe and radial arm drill in his garage and does stuff for family, neighbors and some neighbor's relatives for free? Does this new ITAR crap pertain to them or does it just hamper people that charge for 10 minute job on a mill?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the operative words are "in the business of" which means at least an 01 and a business license where you are accepting money for work. It only takes ONE instance of any of the defined practices and yes, we are hampered by the 10 min job on the mill.

Like Hillary, "No pay, no play".
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sign it
View Quote

I'm going to petition the WH to undo something the WH did intentionally to attack us? That's like the zoo asking the Hirambe memes to stop.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm going to petition the WH to undo something the WH did intentionally to attack us? That's like the zoo asking the Hirambe memes to stop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sign it

It's just the principle. They snuck it in. If every gunsmith and those that want Gunsmithing done banded together...

This is merely a start. A way to have it spread so they know why. It effects bubbas just the same.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes Sir. I live around some people out here in hillbilly land that have had enough and planned accordingly to show they have had enough of the Obamunists ruining the country and many of them are vets and some aren't

All this made me think back to when I was a kid, when no one would have thought actual communists not only exist in this country but flaunt it and no one thought these people would be in our government

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meanwhile, thousands of gunsmiths are still in business around the country, with no intent on stopping business.

Gave up too easily if you ask me.

20 years in PMITA prison sounds fun.

Based upon a previous post by Miami JBT, the arresting agents will likely be GOP voters. Either way, agents may die, people in Hillbilly land will die, and 0bama will have a coke.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I kind of want one of the the ITAR prohibited t-shirts.

View Quote

Put a dimensioned drawing of an AR-15 lower on a t-shirt.  That'll do it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Look its ok guys.   This is just going to put all the shitty gunsmiths out of business.   This will actually be a plus for all the good gunsmiths.   See, once all the shitty small-time gunsmiths go starve in a gutter, we'll be forced to use only good gunsmiths.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's see, gun smith has to charge more for his work, it's maybe a break even for him. Customer loses as the extra charge does nothing for him. Now we get to the meat of the thing GOVERNMENT, wins they get money and less people that can afford a good gun or a gun at all, hence more control of the people and less ability to resist when it comes time, and there will be a time.

"To model our political system upon speculations of lasting tranquility, is to calculate on the weaker springs of the human character."
        ---Alexander Hamilton
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are three lines of PERL code you can't let foreign nationals read.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#26]
So all the language keeps referring to gunsmiths, but this doesn't apply only to FFLs?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How long until smithing your own gun makes you a gunsmith?
View Quote

Excellent way to reign in the 80%'ers.  The .gov had to find a way to do it somehow.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So is this in effect right now or is there some kind of discussion period or period to at least spread the word?
View Quote

It has been in effect for a few years if you were a "Manufacturer"(07) and exported defense related products. What this decree did was redefine what they consider "Manufacturing" and made it apply to all that work on "Defense related products" regardless if you intend to export or not. With the redefinition of "Manufacturing" in their eyes just about every common operation a 'Smith performs is now considered "Manufacturing" and "Registration"( see "Extortion") is mandated.

Unlike the BATFE, there was no public/industry comment period. They just dropped it on us 22/07/2016.

Thine King has Spoketh, Thine peasant laborers shall obey or be banished.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So all the language keeps referring to gunsmiths, but this doesn't apply only to FFLs?
View Quote

Technically, you need an FFL to be in the business of gunsmithing.   Of course, that FFL only costs 60 dollars every 3 years...
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I must do shitty work because I think this new ruling is horseshit, too.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Technically, you need an FFL to be in the business of gunsmithing.   Of course, that FFL only costs 60 dollars every 3 years...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

c) The production of firearm parts (including, but not limited to, barrels, stocks,
cylinders, breech mechanisms, triggers, silencers, or suppressors)

You don't need an FFL to manufacture some of the above items, like barrels, stocks, or triggers.

Don't some of the armor piercing pistol ammo regs only apply to FFLs, like rumor had it that FFLs were supposed to stop selling 5.45 when it was deemed armor piercing pistol ammo. Does this ITAR reg only apply to gunsmith & manufacturer FFLs?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This will do nothing to slow down the real hacks. The guy that does all my work for me isn't very good but he only charges beer for most work. No license, no registration so he's probably not going anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

c) The production of firearm parts (including, but not limited to, barrels, stocks,

You don't need an FFL to manufacture some of the above items, like barrels, stocks, or triggers.

Don't some of the armor piercing pistol ammo regs only apply to FFLs, like rumor had it that FFLs were supposed to stop selling 5.45 when it was deemed armor piercing pistol ammo. Does this ITAR reg only apply to gunsmith & manufacturer FFLs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technically by the most absolute and simplest terms, if ANYONE manufactures any item as a course of business that CAN be used on a "Defense Related Product" then they must register with ITAR.

Billy Bob's Machine shop that makes takedown pins and front sight posts as a subcontractor- yup, gotta register.
Joes Spring Emporium that makes springs that CAN be used as detent springs- yup, gotta register.
Smilies Plastics that molds dust shields for Trijicon- yup, gotta register.

No, this does not apply to FFL's only
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Technically by the most absolute and simplest terms, if ANYONE manufactures any item as a course of business that CAN be used on a "Defense Related Product" then they must register with ITAR.

Billy Bob's Machine shop that makes takedown pins and front sight posts as a subcontractor- yup, gotta register.
Joes Spring Emporium that makes springs that CAN be used as detent springs- yup, gotta register.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking insane. I've had pins made for me to sell with some other parts. You can give dimensions and the company won't even know they're making parts that can be used in a gun. Basically, everyone is a criminal and they can target whoever they want.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The first time your drill hits that 80% lower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How long until smithing your own gun makes you a gunsmith?

The first time your drill hits that 80% lower.

Just make sure your it are fee is paid and who cares how many percenters you make.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats where most of our work comes from. Crappy smithing jobs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
snip

Fucking insane. I've had pins made for me to sell with some other parts. You can give dimensions and the company won't even know they're making parts that can be used in a gun. Basically, everyone is a criminal and they can target whoever they want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
snip

See below...  Ayn Rand for all her faults was a VERY intelligent woman and a VERY astute person regarding human nature...

Dr. Ferris smiled. . . . . ."We've waited a long time to get something on you. You honest men are such a problem and such a headache. But we knew you'd slip sooner or later - and this is just what we wanted."

"You seem to be pleased about it."

"Don't I have good reason to be?"

"But, after all, I did break one of your laws."

"Well, what do you think they're for?"

Dr. Ferris did not notice the sudden look on Rearden's face, the look of a man hit by the first vision of that which he had sought to see. Dr. Ferris was past the stage of seeing; he was intent upon delivering the last blows to an animal caught in a trap.

"Did you really think that we want those laws to be observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against - then you'll know that this is not the age for beautiful gestures. We're after power and we mean it. You fellows were pikers, but we know the real trick, and you'd better get wise to it. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers - and then you cash in on guilt. Now, that's the system, Mr. Rearden, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with."

--Atlas Shrugged

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I would guess it's because the gunsmithing that is going to be affected is not something most shooters need or use commonly. The vast majority of "gunsmithing" done is simple parts replacement, which does not fall under the new regulations. The M855 thing would have had an effect on everyone who shoots any 5.56 rifle. This will not even be noticed by most. How many people outside our little sphere of uber-enthusiasts here is going to get a barrel cut down, re-threaded, and have a flash hider pinned and welded? Damned few. I can't even include myself in that number because there's no way in hell I'm welding my muzzle device to lose 1.5 inches.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd like to know where they got their "common and accepted" (or whatever term they used for the) definitions of gun smithing vs manufacturing. Gunsmiths have been improving the actions and accuracy of firearms for as long as there's been firearms.
For all the noise made about M855, I can't believe this decree is getting little more than a grumble.
I would guess it's because the gunsmithing that is going to be affected is not something most shooters need or use commonly. The vast majority of "gunsmithing" done is simple parts replacement, which does not fall under the new regulations. The M855 thing would have had an effect on everyone who shoots any 5.56 rifle. This will not even be noticed by most. How many people outside our little sphere of uber-enthusiasts here is going to get a barrel cut down, re-threaded, and have a flash hider pinned and welded? Damned few. I can't even include myself in that number because there's no way in hell I'm welding my muzzle device to lose 1.5 inches.  

The pain for gun owners won't be felt until after their local shops/garage guy starts going out of business or stops doing that work. Then it's too late.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

For those that want to see the original: Department of State Bureau of Political-Military Affairs Directorate of Defense Trade Controls "Applicability of the ITAR Registration Requirement to Firearms Manufacturers and Gunsmiths" in PDF

ITAR registration is required of persons who engage in the business of manufacturing defense articles. Persons who do not actually manufacture ITAR-controlled firearms (including by engaging in the activities described below, which DDTC has found in specific cases to constitute manufacturing) need not register with DDTC – even if they have an FFL from ATF...

Registration not Required – Not Manufacturing: In response to questions from personsengaged in the business of gunsmithing, DDTC has found in specific cases that ITAR registration is not required because the following activities do not meet the ordinary, contemporary, common meaning of “manufacturing” that DDTC employs in implementing the ITAR and, therefore, do not constitute “manufacturing” for ITAR purposes:
a) Occasional assembly of firearm parts and kits that do not require cutting, drilling, or machining;
b) Firearm repairs involving one-for-one drop-in replacement parts that do not require any cutting, drilling, or machining for installation;
c) Repairs involving replacement parts that do not improve the accuracy, caliber, or other aspects of firearm operation;
d) Hydrographic paint or Cerakote application or bluing treatments for a firearm;
e) Attachment of accessories to a completed firearm without drilling, cutting, or machining—such as attaching a scope, sling, or light to existing mounts or hooks, or attaching a flash suppressor, sound suppressor, muzzle brake, or similar item to a prethreaded muzzle;
f) Cosmetic additions and alterations (including engraving) that do not improve the accuracy, caliber, or other aspects of firearm operation beyond its original capabilities;
g) Machining new dovetails or drilling and tapping new holes for the installation of sights which do not improve the accuracy or operation of the firearm beyond its original capabilities; and
h) Manual loading or reloading of ammunition of .50 caliber or smaller.

Sounds great... but wait...

Registration Required – Manufacturing: In response to questions from persons engaged in the business of gunsmithing, DDTC has found in specific cases that ITAR registration is required because the following activities meet the ordinary, contemporary, common meaning of “manufacturing” and, therefore, constitute “manufacturing” for ITAR purposes:
a) Use of any special tooling or equipment upgrading in order to improve the capability of assembled or repaired firearms;
b) Modifications to a firearm that change round capacity;
c) The production of firearm parts (including, but not limited to, barrels, stocks, cylinders, breech mechanisms, triggers, silencers, or suppressors);
d) The systemized production of ammunition, including the automated loading or reloading of ammunition;
e) The machining or cutting of firearms, e.g., threading of muzzles or muzzle brake installation requiring machining, that results in an enhanced capability;
f) Rechambering firearms through machining, cutting, or drilling;
g) Chambering, cutting, or threading barrel blanks; and
h) Blueprinting firearms by machining the barrel.

Thanks, Obama!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought anyone who was machining, welding or cutting was already supposed to be paying the ITAR fee?

Only if you were manufacturing/exporting.
The new "Guidance" letter issued 22/07/2016 redefines who must "Register" and what they consider "Manufacturing".

It fucks EVERY Gunsmith in the nation.

For those that want to see the original: Department of State Bureau of Political-Military Affairs Directorate of Defense Trade Controls "Applicability of the ITAR Registration Requirement to Firearms Manufacturers and Gunsmiths" in PDF

ITAR registration is required of persons who engage in the business of manufacturing defense articles. Persons who do not actually manufacture ITAR-controlled firearms (including by engaging in the activities described below, which DDTC has found in specific cases to constitute manufacturing) need not register with DDTC – even if they have an FFL from ATF...

Registration not Required – Not Manufacturing: In response to questions from personsengaged in the business of gunsmithing, DDTC has found in specific cases that ITAR registration is not required because the following activities do not meet the ordinary, contemporary, common meaning of “manufacturing” that DDTC employs in implementing the ITAR and, therefore, do not constitute “manufacturing” for ITAR purposes:
a) Occasional assembly of firearm parts and kits that do not require cutting, drilling, or machining;
b) Firearm repairs involving one-for-one drop-in replacement parts that do not require any cutting, drilling, or machining for installation;
c) Repairs involving replacement parts that do not improve the accuracy, caliber, or other aspects of firearm operation;
d) Hydrographic paint or Cerakote application or bluing treatments for a firearm;
e) Attachment of accessories to a completed firearm without drilling, cutting, or machining—such as attaching a scope, sling, or light to existing mounts or hooks, or attaching a flash suppressor, sound suppressor, muzzle brake, or similar item to a prethreaded muzzle;
f) Cosmetic additions and alterations (including engraving) that do not improve the accuracy, caliber, or other aspects of firearm operation beyond its original capabilities;
g) Machining new dovetails or drilling and tapping new holes for the installation of sights which do not improve the accuracy or operation of the firearm beyond its original capabilities; and
h) Manual loading or reloading of ammunition of .50 caliber or smaller.

Sounds great... but wait...

Registration Required – Manufacturing: In response to questions from persons engaged in the business of gunsmithing, DDTC has found in specific cases that ITAR registration is required because the following activities meet the ordinary, contemporary, common meaning of “manufacturing” and, therefore, constitute “manufacturing” for ITAR purposes:
a) Use of any special tooling or equipment upgrading in order to improve the capability of assembled or repaired firearms;
b) Modifications to a firearm that change round capacity;
c) The production of firearm parts (including, but not limited to, barrels, stocks, cylinders, breech mechanisms, triggers, silencers, or suppressors);
d) The systemized production of ammunition, including the automated loading or reloading of ammunition;
e) The machining or cutting of firearms, e.g., threading of muzzles or muzzle brake installation requiring machining, that results in an enhanced capability;
f) Rechambering firearms through machining, cutting, or drilling;
g) Chambering, cutting, or threading barrel blanks; and
h) Blueprinting firearms by machining the barrel.

Thanks, Obama!

^^^this guy gets it. Did you ever see a more classic example of "Doublespeak"?

Thank you for posting the original document.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#41]
It looks like there's a lawsuit already going on between a company and State Dep. It was started back in Dec, before the new guidance. Does anyone else know of any legal challenges to ITAR on behalf of gunsmiths?

http://www.leocombat.com/lawsuit/
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Allegedly NSSF is initiating action.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Holy shit triggered safe space Batman.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#44]
This is real simple.

It is going to increase the cost for me to have a gunsmith change something on a firearm I purchase.

It is more money to the government and it is more paperwork an honest person has to do.

I rank it as bad government thinking.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

It was intended to do this.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This is real simple.

It is going to increase the cost for me to have a gunsmith change something on a firearm I purchase.

It is more money to the government and it is more paperwork an honest person has to do.

View Quote

I will take "Gun Control by Regulation for $200.00 Alex"
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This is real simple.

View Quote

Just wait until they start putting people away for 20 years. They can charge anyone in this country who manufactures anything and 99.9% of people will have absolutely no idea about these regulations.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:53:10 AM EDT
[#48]
and the stupid thing re itar and encryption/ computers is who do you think is most of our computer science grad students.  Foreign, chinese, indian esp. (some eastern european.)  

The next step will be to shutdown web sites that discuss gun building or maint.  Like here and weapons guild etc. start saving build info when you come across it to removable media so you have it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:04:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to give it to them, the irony of their bs is unreal. ^ is illegal, and they would stick a working man in the pokey for it, but when you sell the chinese our missile technology or any of the other national security leaks/blunders the C's have been part of, no wrong has been committed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top