BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Victorinox on my belt with a BIC lighter every day.
View Quote
SwissChamp here with Zermatt holster and sharpening steel.

I'm a cigar smoker, but don't carry flame, since I'm rarely far from something when I smoke.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I've carried a mini-multitool for years.  Currently it's the Gerber Shortcut.

The only full sized one that's remotely possible for me to pocket carry would be the original Leatherman.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They are the worst tool ever.

Terrible pliers
Awkward knife
Nearly unusable screwdrivers that strips screws
The rest is useless junk that gets in the way.

I've got a small toolkit in my vehicle, it has all the things the leathermans have but in decent quality

Klein screwdrivers
long needle nose plier
Vice grips- 3 sizes
3/8" metric deep socket set, 1/4" metric set, 1/2" of 19/21/22
extensions / ratchets for the above
Jegs 2 ton floor jack and stands

If I'm at home, I have a whole 80x80 garage with a lift to go work on whatever. I don't need to carry some shitty tool

Junk, completely useless. Even worse than useless actually, its a tool that'll fuck up whatever your working on.
View Quote
Lol. I find the Gerber 600MP bits fit perfectly and bite fastners well. The phillips bit even fits Posidrive screws well. And the pliers are very comfortable and very well designed. You must be buying cheap, over-polished junk...
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Can’t remember not carring a Leatherman Wingman.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Its stupid, and worse, strips out phillips. Thing is a turd that never should have been invented. If I see someone with it, I automatically know they are a pretend technician and won't let them anywhere near anything of mine.

The proper tool for a job, nothing less. Pull out one of those "jack of all trades" and it'll be sure to somehow f up the job. I have 2 tool cabinets full of tools, each one has a specific use. I don't need some lame-o tool that does nothing well. If I am in a bind, I'll go buy a decent tool rather than use a hack like a leatherman.

I used to manage QC for an outdoor power equipment mfg. Nothing drove me nuts more than to see someone using the wrong tool to attempt something. Multitools were not allowed at workers cells.
View Quote
Doubling down on your deprecating viewpoint, I see. Keep on keepin' on!
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Been carry a Skeletool as my EDC for the past 8+ years.  Single best pocket size multi-tool I have every had; does 95% of what I need a multi-tool to do and carries in the pocket as well or better than most knives of similar size.  The replaceable screw driver bits are great as I wear those out periodically.  It also increases the usefulness of the tool allowing for more jobs to be tackled with a bit-set I keep handy.

On the weekends, especially out at the hunting property I am carrying a Surge.  Got my Surge signed by the anti-gunner himself last year at Shot Show.

Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Its stupid, and worse, strips out phillips. Thing is a turd that never should have been invented. If I see someone with it, I automatically know they are a pretend technician and won't let them anywhere near anything of mine.

The proper tool for a job, nothing less. Pull out one of those "jack of all trades" and it'll be sure to somehow f up the job. I have 2 tool cabinets full of tools, each one has a specific use. I don't need some lame-o tool that does nothing well. If I am in a bind, I'll go buy a decent tool rather than use a hack like a leatherman.

I used to manage QC for an outdoor power equipment mfg. Nothing drove me nuts more than to see someone using the wrong tool to attempt something. Multitools were not allowed at workers cells.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once again, utter nonsense.

You have however merely confirmed that you are a curmudeonly snob who doesn't understand the limitations of the various multitools available in the market....who would rather berate a handy and useful tool that has served multitudes of owners worldwide quite admirably over several decades instead. Way to go!

A multi-tool is not meant to replace a workbench full of tools designed for specific tasks. I use my Skeletool around the house for simple tasks where it doesn't make sense to go to the garage and grab a screwdriver to tighten something simple. I carry heavier duty multi-tools in my pack when I go Dirtbike/ATV/snowmobile riding. My Skeletool has never stripped screws either.

Have you ever had to work on a dirt bike 10 miles from your car? How many tools do you bring with you when you go snowmobiling, ATV riding, etc. Obviously, if you sit at home then this means nothing or you never go further than 100 yards from your truck while in the wilderness.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A multi-tool is not meant to replace a workbench full of tools designed for specific tasks. I use my Skeletool around the house for simple tasks where it doesn't make sense to go to the garage and grab a screwdriver to tighten something simple. I carry heavier duty multi-tools in my pack when I go Dirtbike/ATV/snowmobile riding. My Skeletool has never stripped screws either.

Have you ever had to work on a dirt bike 10 miles from your car? How many tools do you bring with you when you go snowmobiling, ATV riding, etc. Obviously, if you sit at home then this means nothing or you never go further than 100 yards from your truck while in the wilderness.
View Quote
re: red txt That's being lazy. I'm 12% bf and enjoy the stroll. I don't stay lean by saying "that garage... its so far away."

When I go snowmobiling I bring a harbor freight carbon fiber ratchet, spark plug tool,  2" extension, 14, 17 and 19 for track adjustment, long needle nose pliers for hoses, long screwdriver for carb boots, and a rope for emergency starts, along with a set of spare plugs and belt. That's fixed anything I've ever had wrong that could be fixed out in the boonies.

Can't reinstall hoses with a multitool, a long needle nose is the only thing that does it well.
Phillips needs to be long and not have a bunch of shit encumbering the turning process, its tight around the carbs.
Multitool can't do any fastner tightening or removal unless you want to hack job it with the pliers.

Plenty of room in my snowmobile's back area for all the tools I specified plus probably a few others I forgot. I litterally cannot think of a single job that I would say a multitool would do well at. It does a shit job at everything. Tools are designed very specifically, and the multitool makes so many tradeoffs that it doesn't do anything well- at all.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Lol. I find the Gerber 600MP bits fit perfectly and bite fastners well. The phillips bit even fits Posidrive screws well. And the pliers are very comfortable and very well designed. You must be buying cheap, over-polished junk...
View Quote
Do you spray WD40 on everything too?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve actually been shopping for a multi tool. My original Leatherman is pretty much worn out. I want it more for hunting and fishing than work though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've actually been shopping for a multi tool. My original Leatherman is pretty much worn out. I want it more for hunting and fishing than work though.
View Quote

https://www.leatherman.com/signal-439.html

This might be a good choice for that application.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I own 3 Leatherman multitools - Blast, Skeletool, Juice S2 - that I have carried for one purpose or another over the years.

The owner might be a leftie but the tools are all made in the USA. I think Gerber and SOG tools are made in china.
View Quote
Gerber is made in Portland.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do you spray WD40 on everything too?
View Quote
I don’t own WD40. You don’t even seem to know that most decent multi-tools are available with bit extensions...you know so you can reach fastners...
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Me and my guys carry them all day at work

They come in handy
View Quote
Tell us more about your “guys.”
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Gerber and Leatherman, but rarely use them
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You carried a multi-tool in high school on your belt?
View Quote
All the pussy slayers in highschool did. Chicks dig a handyman bro
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Had a Charge TTI, changed to a Surge. Fixed many a problem with these beasts.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

re: red txt That's being lazy. I'm 12% bf and enjoy the stroll. I don't stay lean by saying "that garage... its so far away."

When I go snowmobiling I bring a harbor freight carbon fiber ratchet, spark plug tool,  2" extension, 14, 17 and 19 for track adjustment, long needle nose pliers for hoses, long screwdriver for carb boots, and a rope for emergency starts, along with a set of spare plugs and belt. That's fixed anything I've ever had wrong that could be fixed out in the boonies.

Can't reinstall hoses with a multitool, a long needle nose is the only thing that does it well.
Phillips needs to be long and not have a bunch of shit encumbering the turning process, its tight around the carbs.
Multitool can't do any fastner tightening or removal unless you want to hack job it with the pliers.

Plenty of room in my snowmobile's back area for all the tools I specified plus probably a few others I forgot. I litterally cannot think of a single job that I would say a multitool would do well at. It does a shit job at everything. Tools are designed very specifically, and the multitool makes so many tradeoffs that it doesn't do anything well- at all.
View Quote
We aren’t talking about doing vehicle maintenance with a multitool. A multitool is an expedient or intermediate tool that’s with you when your toolbox isn’t...you’re a bit dense and self aggrandizing aren’t you?

I run a service department with several vehicles full of high end tools and yet I recognize the value of having a decent multitool with you. Sometimes my guy’s vehicle is 6 blocks away in a parking lot and they’re on the 28th floor of a secured building, you think I want them wasting 45 minutes going to get the one thing they couldn’t anticipate needing on their cart that day?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You carried a multi-tool in high school on your belt?
Weapons weren't banned at my private school. Shrug.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I still carry my Leatherman Surge everyday!

It's not really excellent at anything, but it does a bit of everything so it's always really nice to have.

Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
On my belt? No. In my office toolbox? Yes. Seems no one wearing suit and tie ever has tools for simple things
View Quote
This.

Leant mine to someone in the office once. About a month later, a random chick (from an entirely different floor) comes over to my desk and asks if I’m the guy with “all the tools”

Handed her my multi-tool and gave a quick rundown of the features. She held it in awe like it was a newborn baby. I’m only half joking. No idea what she used it for, but she returned it with the Awl sticking out. Lol.

It’s scary to think I’m probably the most prepared person there. Not a humble brag. It’s seriously concerning.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This.

Leant mine to someone in the office once. About a month later, a random chick (from an entirely different floor) comes over to my desk and asks if I’m the guy with “all the tools”

Handed her my multi-tool and gave a quick rundown of the features. She held it in awe like it was a newborn baby. I’m only half joking. No idea what she used it for, but she returned it with the Awl sticking out. Lol.

It’s scary to think I’m probably the most prepared person there. Not a humble brag. It’s seriously concerning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On my belt? No. In my office toolbox? Yes. Seems no one wearing suit and tie ever has tools for simple things
This.

I learned early on not to lend a knife or multi tool.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I still carry my Leatherman Surge everyday!

It's not really excellent at anything, but it does a bit of everything so it's always really nice to have.

https://i.imgur.com/6lYO4bvh.jpg
View Quote
Please explain that blade! Is it a custom?...or is it just a standard blade that's been acid eteched??
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Pretty much required for my line of work
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Opened a weapons coffin in the desert 15 years ago to do a serial number inventory and there was a sweet SOG lying in the bottom.

It lives in a drawer somewhere. If it's yours let me know, I'll send it back.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I can't say I've ever gotten the multi tool thing..

They are mostly terrible at everything function wise.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a Leatherman Skeletool that I tweaked that I carry daily at work.  The knife isn’t the best quality steel but when it gets too trashed I’ll just replace it.  Already cut the carabiner off as I didn’t have a need.

Pliers
Wire cutters
Half serrated knife
Phillips/Flat head

Pretty well handles my daily needs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I can always tell when some multi tool user has been around a piece of machinery. All the fasteners are stripped and fucked up.
View Quote
This.

I just carry a couple folding knives, even when I was a mechanic for a living. Now that I fly a desk, I have tool bags in my cars, in the range bag, and in the garage. If I need a tool I go get the right tool. Even a cheapo Harbor Freight china wrench will work better than a cheesy set of folding multi tool pliers. Even the chinese pliers are better than Leatherman pliers.

Since this is GD, the leather pouch does look cool on the department store belt holding up your cargo shorts
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Belt? No
Clipped in my pocket? Yes

It’s saved my ass more than a few times, though it’s a whore to cut barbed wire with them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If you can’t recognize the limitations of a tool and still use it effectively maybe you shouldn’t be around tools...

The guys who work for me are always amazed by what I can do with just a multitool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably the worst tool ever invented. Really stupid to use something like that.

If you can’t recognize the limitations of a tool and still use it effectively maybe you shouldn’t be around tools...

The guys who work for me are always amazed by what I can do with just a multitool.
Ignore him
He just likes saying stupid shit for the attention
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I was way out on a ranch looking for a lost calf and the horse I was on spooked when I was opening a gap and ended up with a front leg laced through the net wire fence.

I had a Gerber multi-tool on my belt and used it cut a couple strands of the wire and got the horse out.

The wire was hard as fuck and that multi-tool pinched the holy ever living fuckity fuck ass out the palm of my hand.  Had a righteous blood blister and promptly threw that thing away and went to a Leatherman.

/CSB.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I rotate the Leatherman Skeletool, Crunch & Signal for EDC based on my needs.

The Crunch is my favorite workhorse of the 3. Locking pliers are awesome for my tasks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#34]
In the Army the Gerber is pretty much the “industry standard”. Leatherman too. I got issued both.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:11:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Handy for the glove box.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A good multi tool is the shit for plucking nose hair.
View Quote

Eyes watering
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have however merely confirmed that you are a curmudeonly snob who doesn't understand the limitations of the various multitools available in the market....who would rather berate a handy and useful tool that has served multitudes of owners worldwide quite admirably over several decades instead. Way to go!

How can you go dirt biking without Klein screwdrivers, long needle nose pliers, Vice grips- 3 sizes, 3/8" metric deep socket set, 1/4" metric set, 1/2" of 19/21/22 extensions, ratchets for all this shit, Jegs 2 ton floor jack and stands, and two tool cabinets in an 80'x80' garage inside the tool bag on your rear fender?

You're really pushing your luck.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How can you go dirt biking without Klein screwdrivers, long needle nose pliers, Vice grips- 3 sizes, 3/8" metric deep socket set, 1/4" metric set, 1/2" of 19/21/22 extensions, ratchets for all this shit, Jegs 2 ton floor jack and stands, and two tool cabinets in an 80'x80' garage inside the tool bag on your rear fender?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It'S YoUr FuNeRaL BuDdY
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:23:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn straight!
I'd never climb a ladder or go up on a lift on a job site without all of that!
And if I did I'd totally go all the way out to the truck to get the nut driver I need to undo the four screws holding the cover plate on that I need to get behind.

That said, I do also carry a Lenox 9-in-1, but I find between the straight and serrated blades, the scissors, and the pliars, I tend to use my Surge pretty much every day.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:11:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Few years ago driving down the highway I felt my stomach rumble and bubble. Pulled off at a McDonals and ran to the restroom. Stall door was locked from the inside. Despite my cold sweat and shaking hand, I got my knife out and couldn’t manipulate the lock to open it. Went to the counter, and the dumb teens had no idea where a screwdriver was. Ran out to my truck, grabbed my leatherman, ran back inside with no time to spare and got the door open to the stall.

Ever since that day I keep my leatherman with a pocket clip in my pocket. I’m sure I left the stall door lock mangled, but I didn’t care at the time.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do have a few specific wrenches in the tool bag.

My son had a bad wreck several miles from out car- ripped the throttle grip clean off the bike. My leatherman, electrical tape, and zip ties saved the day.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top