Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/7/2024 8:53:46 AM EDT
I know it costs retailers money every time they run a card, but I never see any places charge the fee to the customers save for one place. Gunbroker.  
I have bought from lots of online retailers (both gun and non gun related) as well as lots of local brick and mortar stores ranging from large nation wide stores, to small local "mom and pop" stores. None ever charge the cc fee.

However it seems 90% of sellers on gunbroker charge 3%. Some I have even seen 4%.

So here is my confusion. There are a lot of these sellers on gunbroker that have actual brick and mortar stores. Are they charging the customers that walk in the door in person the 3% fee?
Am I just lucky that my local gun stores do not charge that fee, but most places everywhere else in the country do?
Or are these sellers charging the 3% fee ONLY on sales on gunbroker and not for customers in their store?

Do the CC companies charge a different fee for taking a card online or over the phone, Vs swiping a card at a terminal in the store?

I am not really griping about having to pay the fee, I am just confused about why they are charging it, but only at one place?

I do see some sellers on gunbroker that do not charge the cc fees and they advertise that in the item listing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Most of the small businesses around here offer a 3-5% cash "discount"
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:57:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a couple brick and mortar stores that offer a discount with cash payment.

Use a card (credit or debit) and you incur a 4% markup...i.e. the "full" price.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I would think that it the brick and mortar they could include the 3% in the price.

At auction, they really don't know what the item will sell for.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Could also be like the inflated shipping charges on eBay; a way to recoup listing/selling fees.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This what I've seen.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a local Mexican restaurant that charges 6% extra if you pay with a credit card........crazy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know it costs retailers money every time they run a card, but I never see any places charge the fee to the customers save for one place. Gunbroker.  
I have bought from lots of online retailers (both gun and non gun related) as well as lots of local brick and mortar stores ranging from large nation wide stores, to small local "mom and pop" stores. None ever charge the cc fee.

However it seems 90% of sellers on gunbroker charge 3%. Some I have even seen 4%.

So here is my confusion. There are a lot of these sellers on gunbroker that have actual brick and mortar stores. Are they charging the customers that walk in the door in person the 3% fee?
Am I just lucky that my local gun stores do not charge that fee, but most places everywhere else in the country do?
Or are these sellers charging the 3% fee ONLY on sales on gunbroker and not for customers in their store?

Do the CC companies charge a different fee for taking a card online or over the phone, Vs swiping a card at a terminal in the store?

I am not really griping about having to pay the fee, I am just confused about why they are charging it, but only at one place?

I do see some sellers on gunbroker that do not charge the cc fees and they advertise that in the item listing.
View Quote

You’re paying the fee at the LGS.
It’s NOT an added fee.
It’s already built into their price.
It should not be allowed here for any transaction.
Sellers can all build that into their prices.
No one knows if they have already built the fee into their prices and collect the extra 3%.
So disallow it.  Buyers will still be buyers.  Sellers will still be sellers.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Most places structure their prices to account for the credit card fee.

Some places will give you a discount if you pay with cash or check. One of the major LGS in my area does this.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#9]
never noticed the "$5 minimum purchase for CC/debit" signs, OP?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There is a local Mexican restaurant that charges 6% extra if you pay with a credit card........crazy.
View Quote

Some charge a higher fee to process debit cards while credit cards are generally 3%-4%.  That 6% is covering all their bases.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:01:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Many years ago I THINK CC companies had vendor terms that wouldn't allow them to pass on the fee to their CC paying customers,  that no longer seems to be the case.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Makes me wonder if CC companies have tightened the vice on vendors due to consumers defaulting?  Just the other day Biden was touting capping late fees on CC to $8.  CC companies don’t want to get a pay cut.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#13]
It used to be a violation of the credit card agreement to charge customers the 3%.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#14]
My employer just switched to clover.com to process our CC because they add the 3% fee to the sale by charging the customer.  Apparently this is a new thing and is supposed to save us a bunch of money.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought something the other day and it came to less then the price marked in the store....I asked the clerk how that happened, they give a cash discount.
I have 2 different CC processing companies I deal with daily, one because I have to because it is the only way I can use a certain automation machine, they charge me 4.5% plus a transaction fee plus a monthly fee and a $400 annual subscription fee, my other CC service charges 2.75%.
Gun sellers are limited to non-woke CC processors and are getting hosed, they have to recover what they can.
Send them a money order if you don't like it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Many years ago I THINK CC companies had vendor terms that wouldn't allow them to pass on the fee to their CC paying customers,  that no longer seems to be the case.
View Quote

It must have just reached a tipping pint some time ago when the percentage of people paying with cards hit X% and the vendors saw their total cost of fees hit Y.

Our CC starting this year is going to stop accepting CC altogether and required either direct bank draft on file of pay by check. CC fees cost them $200,000 last year.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I've got a couple brick and mortar stores that offer a discount with cash payment.

Use a card (credit or debit) and you incur a 4% markup...i.e. the "full" price.

Must be a local thing.
So far I have not ran across any local retailers in my area doing that.
Maybe I am lucky?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
never noticed the "$5 minimum purchase for CC/debit" signs, OP?
View Quote

No, never once seen anything like that.
Is that really a thing?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Is that really a thing?
View Quote

Yes...they get charged a debit fee everytime you use your debit card so the transaction has to meet their minimum threshold for them to not take a hit.

Small businesses are getting 'fee skimmed' to death.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Locally, I pay cash when possible. I use a debit card for online or large purchases. I haven't had a credit card in decades.  If they charge a fee for using a debit/credit card odds are very high, that I won't be back. I tell them too, sometimes they will not charge it if I'm a regular. A couple times I asked for a Sr. discount and they canceled the charge. In this day, it never hurts to ask.

With all the rampant CC fraud, I can't really blame them though. Nationwide, businesses lose billions.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You’re paying the fee at the LGS.
It’s NOT an added fee.
It’s already built into their price.
It should not be allowed here for any transaction.
Sellers can all build that into their prices.
No one knows if they have already built the fee into their prices and collect the extra 3%.
So disallow it.  Buyers will still be buyers.  Sellers will still be sellers.
View Quote

So cash buyers would be paying for fees their transaction doesn't incur?

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Margins are ridiculously tight, in a world where you’re lucky to make 10%, 2.5-3% is huge.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I bought something the other day and it came to less then the price marked in the store....I asked the clerk how that happened, they give a cash discount.
I have 2 different CC processing companies I deal with daily, one because I have to because it is the only way I can use a certain automation machine, they charge me 4.5% plus a transaction fee plus a monthly fee and a $400 annual subscription fee, my other CC service charges 2.75%.
Gun sellers are limited to non-woke CC processors and are getting hosed, they have to recover what they can.
Send them a money order if you don't like it.
View Quote

I would rather pay the extra 3% than pay with a money order.

Having to deal with the PO is a nightmare. Ever had a MO get lost in the mail? Have fun getting the money back. You have to PAY them MORE money to get your money back! And you have t wait for like a month before you can even file for the lost MO, then wait longer for them to try and track/trace it.
Last one took me 3 months to get my money back after they lost it. And I sent it with tracking!

Again, I am not mad about the 3% fee, I was just confused why they only charge it on gunbroker and nowhere else.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#24]
I've got a sign on my wall stating a 3% fee on all CC payments.  My customers know why and no one ever complains.   If I didn't I'd lose thousands of dollars every year and for a small business that's tough.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#25]
i own a retail/service business.

pay up!
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Margins are ridiculously tight, in a world where you’re lucky to make 10%, 2.5-3% is huge.
View Quote

This is the truth of the matter.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:17:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Is that really a thing?
View Quote

$5.00 minimum is everywhere here, some CC processors charge a transaction fee plus your rate is set monthly by the amount of your average ticket. If you have a average sale of $100  for the month you pay a lower rate then if you have a $10 average sale. $1.00 sales cost you alot of money.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes...they get charged a debit fee everytime you use your debit card so the transaction has to meet their minimum threshold for them to not take a hit.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that really a thing?

Yea I know they charge a fee, stated that in my OP.
I have just never seen a retailer put up a sign stating a minimum amount to run a card.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#30]
very common

one way or the other, you are paying it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#31]
The credit card fees charged to retailers is structured so that the more credit card purchases they handle, the lower the fee that they get charged.  Those who swap their debit cards for all their purchases pay this fee on every purchase.  The cashless economy is nothing more than a wealth transfer setup.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#32]
If you walk in the door and pay a set price the 3% fee is already baked in and they may give you a cash discount.

Not rocket science
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Fuck em and their credit card fee because during COIVD they refused to take cash.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:25:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Businesses used to eat the fee because they didn’t have to count cash every night, run the deposit to the bank, lose some of the cash through theft, in short it was worth the 2-3% cost to not handle cash/checks.

As stated at one time you could not pass the fee on, CC companies didn’t want people to not use their card vs cash for the discount.

That changed a number of years ago and now many places pass the fee on.  Consumers have gotten so used to swiping a card or taping their phone, most probably don’t know how to get cash anymore.

If you could offset 3% of the cost of every sale, as a business, you would likely do it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have just never seen a retailer put up a sign stating a minimum amount to run a card.
View Quote

Some do, but if they don't it's because we consider people who buy the $.99 to be the same as a shoplifter (as far as the books go), its just a loss that is unavoidable because people have adopted a lazy lifestyle and can't be bothered to carry a couple of dollar bills to pay for little stuff.

Guarantee you this.

There isn't a single small business owner who will walk in somebody else's store and buy a $1 item with a ccard.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Welcome to 2018
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Businesses used to eat the fee because they didn’t have to count cash every night, run the deposit to the bank, lose some of the cash through theft, in short it was worth the 2-3% cost to not handle cash/checks.

View Quote

incorrect

Just because "some" people used a card, it was never an instant transition of 100% cash to 100% card, so you STILL had to do all of the above, just a small percent less because people were using cards

Thankfully, my wife's business is still over 85% cash

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:31:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what our shop does
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#42]
In my former business, the government sales switching to credit cards was one of many financial blows. I used to do around one million in sales to various government types, towns, schools, Port Authority, etc. When they switched from paying by invoice to paying by credit card that became a 2-1/2% net loss every year. A $25,000.00 hit.

Shit adds up.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#43]
If a sign saying they're going to charge a % to accept your payment via a card rustles your jimmies the various LAYERED fees listed in a retailers card processor agreement will cause you to blow a blood vessel...

I don't like that shit either
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#44]
The charge is very real for businesses that take credit cards. The % of sale depends greatly on things like is it a product or a service, their volume of annual sales and the typical charge amounts. Their agreement with merchant services prohibits businesses from advertising this added fee or offering cash discounts but MS is not policing every vendor, all the time.

One way or the other, the actual sale price incorporates the cost of doing business (otherwise nobody would stay in business very long). If you are given the option for a discount for a more advantageous payment to the vendor, consider it in your decision to buy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Some restaurants around here charge a 2-4% fee for using a card, but I get 4% back in rewards, so it washes out.  I still use the card, because it’s more convenient.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

My child’s daycare charges 3.5% if you pay by credit card.  Plenty others rolled it into their costs years ago. Some places even have minimmm purchase amounts because of fees.  Nothing new. Welcome to 1998.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#48]
You will see more and more of this as time goes on. Bidenomics is killing businesses and they're trying to cut corners everywhere they can.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Our after school/summer childcare place has been sending emails about CC fees. Starting this summer they are charging 2.6% fee for using a CC. Sucks, but I understand.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top