THIN
BLUE
LINE
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
This was not a justified shoot. I watched the majority of this case. Hard to believe this guy was acquitted.

THIN
BLUE
LINE

Oh really.. Then why was he charged if there's this magical blue line?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm skeptical...wife didn't attack anyone.  How is he not responsible for shooting an innocent person?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. She was shot incidental to him legally defending himself. Since he was ruled not guilty the self-defense claim is legitimate.

I'm skeptical...wife didn't attack anyone.  How is he not responsible for shooting an innocent person?

she was with the individual who was in the middle of committing numerous felonies against Reeves. Transferred intent. She should have been running away from the crime scene instead of becoming an active part of it. ignorance is no excuse.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't like to second guess juries. I wasn't there to hear and see the evidence and arguments.
View Quote

You can watch it online. It's all there. Rekieta Law lists the days of the trial.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This was not a justified shoot. I watched the majority of this case. Hard to believe this guy was acquitted.
View Quote

He’s one of the king’s men, so . . .
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Apparently, a jury of his peers....disagrees with you.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did he kill him for "texting" or assaulting him?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#7]
IANAL

but I watch Rekieta Law for entertainment.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#8]
At least John Wessley Hardin shot a guy for snoring in the theater.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think the take away here is "don't fuck with old people".
They are old for a reason.
View Quote

I think the take away is don’t be an asshole and your odds of getting shot or paying thousands of Dollars in legal costs for shooting a fellow asshole are greatly reduced.

They were both assholes.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He killed another popcorn thrower? Damn.
View Quote

Who was also texting, good shoot

^Sarcasm^

Have not followed the case so I am shit posting, seems more than a little iffy to say this was justified.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So killing a rude person and shooting his wife too is OK? FFS there is no indication of even fist, just popcorn.
View Quote

So you are decicing his fate based on a news article??  He did not shoot the guy for texting, like the news would have you believe.  That is simply what started an encounter that eventually led to one guy shooting the other.

From what little I know he appears to be in his 70's and the dead guy was maybe 40?  Hardly a fair fight to begin with.  After the old dude left the theater and told the manager, the dead guy escalated the confrontation. He hit him in the face with a cell phone,  threw the stupid popcorn at him, then was coming over the seats at the old-timer who testified that he could "get up", which tells me he was sitting down.  Pretty bad spot to be in when someone is about to attack you.....

Not sure how their law reads, but it sounds like they convinced the jury if was justified.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

she was with the individual who was in the middle of committing numerous felonies against Reeves. Transferred intent. She should have been running away from the crime scene instead of becoming an active part of it. ignorance is no excuse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. She was shot incidental to him legally defending himself. Since he was ruled not guilty the self-defense claim is legitimate.

You sound as if you know the laws.  Transferred intent?  How will that play out in the civil trial?  Asking for your speculation.

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The decision by the jury shows you are mistaken
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The decision by the jury shows you are mistaken

Oh, because juries are always right.

I’ll remember that next time you mention Chauvin.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#14]
When this case first broke I watched the security video. Old man is pissed because of asshole with bad manners. Old man tells movie manager. Then goes to his car and gets his gun.
Instead of changing seats.... sits back down holding gun with popcorn container covering it. Asshole throws popcorn on him. Old man draws like Bob Munden.
Old man had his plan already made.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I am confused over this  Verdict...  

Are we supposed to be outraged and thus go Loot & Burn ??  

Or are we supposed to be happy & satisfied and take to the internet to Gloat??

Really not sure which is the GD approved action we are supposed to take on this outcome...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh, because juries are always right.

I’ll remember that next time you mention Chauvin.
View Quote

The jury was correct in convicting Chauvin.  Everyone but GD agrees with the verdict.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It is only a surprise if you never served on a jury. It was an eye opener for me the first time and was reenforced by every time I was on one after that.
View Quote

Could you explain in more detail?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When this case first broke I watched the security video. Old man is pissed because of asshole with bad manners. Old man tells movie manager. Then goes to his car and gets his gun.
Instead of changing seats.... sits back down holding gun with popcorn container covering it. Asshole throws popcorn on him. Old man draws like Bob Munden.
View Quote

That’s why I am shocked that he was acquitted. The fact that he went to his car and got a gun instead of just leaving. Sounds like he was ready to smoke the guy.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You sound as if you know the laws.  Transferred intent?  How will that play out in the civil trial?  Asking for your speculation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I watch Rekieta Law. With Branca! Get HARD!!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Generally, deadly force is justified if you reasonably believe another's actions place you in imminent danger of serious physical injury or death.
I didn't see that here. To me, this appeared to be a guy looking to shoot someone. Just my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

That didn't happen. He went to talk to the manager then returned to his seat when the movie manager told him to. all on video.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That’s why I am shocked that he was acquitted. The fact that he went to his car and got a gun instead of just leaving. Sounds like he was ready to smoke the guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did not happen. Unless the Cobb theater owners have exceptional skills with editing video. They got the vids and had them for like 10 days before Pasco County claimed them. 10 HDs out of 15 sent to the home office in Alabama were taken back to Florida. the 10 sent back to Pasco were for recording inside the theater. the other 5 were the operating system for the theater cameras. the home office kept those. The county did not take them back with them to Florida.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

the popcorn was part of a sustained attack mounted by Oulson. The video shows him to be the aggressor and striking his arm forward at least three times (throwing the phone, grabbing the popcorn and then sending the popcorn back at him. Reeves did not know what was coming at him for the third but had drawn after the second attack.

Oulson was in the middle of committing numerous felonies when he was shot.
View Quote
Doesn't matter to me. If I were on the Jury, he would have walked the second I heard "a man threw popcorn at him."
Popcorn throwers are the scum of the earth, and the day of the intermission began the second this hero decided to be a man among men and did something about it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That didn't happen. He never left the building when he went to the manager.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Good for him.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Bad people exist in the world. They do bad things for practically no reason. This type of thing is why I think it's crazy we don't allow previous bad actions of the victim into self defense trials. There's way too many Americans with no experience with violence or the type of people who will go off over the stupidest shit. When it happens to someone else they're lost and then start making things up that aren't in evidence to try to change reality to fit their preconceived biases and notions.

The left knew what they were doing when they started pushing the whole the victim isn't on trial thing. They knew that if you can't show the jury some crazy person's prior bad acts they're often incapable of facing reality and will substitute their own imagination and biases to make it make sense to them base on their make believe version of reality.

How in the day and age of internet people don't understand that there are just evil and mean people out there that will try to hurt you over nothing I'll never understand. The internet is full of videos of someone shoving someone in front of a subway for no reason. People who will shove an old man off a bus and kill him when he hits his head for no reason. People who will run your car off the road for daring to go past them.

View Quote

I wish I could find this comedy skit that I found on YouTube the other day. Basically the dude is explaining to aliens about the message of Jesus. The alien asked the guy what happened to Jesus, and dude says well what happened to him doesnt mean that we're all dicks. The alien goes there was only one guy in 2,000 years that had a message about love? The comedian says well no there was Martin Luther King Jr. Then the alien asked what happened to him? And the comedian says well maybe we are all dicks.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Doesn't matter to me. If I were on the Jury, he would have walked the second I heard "a man threw popcorn at him."
Popcorn throwers are the scum of the earth, and the day of the intermission began the second this hero decided to be a man among men and did something about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the popcorn was part of a sustained attack mounted by Oulson. The video shows him to be the aggressor and striking his arm forward at least three times (throwing the phone, grabbing the popcorn and then sending the popcorn back at him. Reeves did not know what was coming at him for the third but had drawn after the second attack.

Oulson was in the middle of committing numerous felonies when he was shot.

Reeves shot him before he assumed his final form.

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Chad fucked up.  Regardless of the trial outcome he is still dead.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm not trying to be obtuse, but what was it about texting that bothered the old man so much?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, it was years ago.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

^Sarcasm^

Have not followed the case so I am shit posting, seems more than a little iffy to say this was justified.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He killed another popcorn thrower? Damn.

^Sarcasm^

Reeves wasn't even the only one who testified at the trial to thinking Olsen was going to hit him.

There's nothing iffy about this case except for the media coverage that people can't help falling for.

Well that and the police never checking the DVR hard drives and then that night in the middle of the night the theater pulling all their hard drives and flying them out of state.

This is why I think it was a huge mistake to fall for one of the left's many pronged attacks on the right to self defense and disallow prior bad acts of the "victim". Your average person has no experience with violence or the type of people who will resort to violence over nothing. When it happens they use their imagination and biases to try to make sense of something they can't begin to make sense of.

Someone getting so mad over politely being asked to turn off his phone that he attacked an old man. That's impossible that can't happen I don't care how many witnesses there are or if there is video because that would never happen on TV or in a movie so it can't happen in real life.

That these stupid fucking preconceived notions and biases are completely contradicted by all the videos that get posted here of someone shoving someone in front of a subway train for no reason, or pushing an old man off a bus for no reason and killing him when he hits his head, or even dash cam videos of someone trying to run someone off the road for almost no reason. How fiction makes people forget so many real life examples of people turning to violence over nothing and then have to create facts not in evidence in their heads to answer simple questions drives me mad.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:31:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm not trying to be obtuse, but what was it about texting that bothered the old man so much?
View Quote

Reeves complained that the phone screen was very bright and distracted him from watching the screen. He asked him to put it away and, according to Reeves, Oulson blasted him with F-bombs and told him to mind his own business. Afterward, Reeves said he would complain to the manager. More f-bombs. He complained to the manager, came back to the seat, the phone was put away or somewhere not in his hand. Ouslon was evil eyeing him and he responded that he would not have told the manager of the incident if he'd put the phone away before. Reeves sat down and Oulson turned and stood to begin initiating an attack on Reeves.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Why do most of the posters in this thread sound like all of my liberal friends after the Rittenhouse trial?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Thread title sucks.  He wasn't shot for "texting".  Get your fucking facts straight.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Reeves complained that the phone screen was very bright and distracted him from watching the screen. He asked him to put it away and, according to Reeves, Oulson blasted him with F-bombs and told him to mind his own business. Afterward, Reeves said he would complain to the manager. More f-bombs. He complained to the manager, came back to the seat, the phone was put away or somewhere not in his hand. Ouslon was evil eyeing him and he responded that he would not have told the manager of the incident if he'd put the phone away before. Reeves sat down and Oulson turned and stood to begin initiating an attack on Reeves.
View Quote

Cell phone guy was certainly a dick, and probably pulled that s*** on several others before he found out.
However, I don't think the old man should have said anything about the screen. I mean does he sit in a pitch black room in his house when he's watching TV?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Don't bring a cell phone to a gun fight.

View Quote
How about a cell phone gun?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I think the take away here is "don't fuck with old people".
They are old for a reason.
View Quote

Damn straight!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Cell phone guy was certainly a dick, and probably pulled that s*** on several others before he found out.
However, I don't think the old man should have said anything about the screen. I mean does he sit in a pitch black room in his house when he's watching TV?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was seated right in front of him. seventeen inches away seat to seat. the previews were running. He should have gotten up and left to move to another seat in the alternative world. But you still can't attack people for them asking you to turn your phone off and then complaining to the manager when you don't.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

He was seated right in front of him. seventeen inches away seat to seat. the previews were running. He should have gotten up and left to move to another seat in the alternative world. But you still can't attack people for them asking you to turn your phone off and then complaining to the manager when you don't.
View Quote

Agreed. This could have been handled any number of ways that would not have resulted in anyone getting verbally assaulted or killed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Shooting someone that was fucking on their phone during a movie?

I also would acquit.

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The reason for the LEO to draw his firearm in a public place and NOT notify the facilities mgmt first?

Sorry, this is a case of taking the law and matters into your own hands first.

"I AM THE LAW!"
View Quote

You seem really triggered that that used up old man is still better than you.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Article says wife of dead guy was shot in the hand.  Can he be tried for shooting the wife?  

Wonder how the civil suit will go.

Dupe police, post up or shut up.  I searched long and hard.  

I don't think "stand your ground" works that way. His use of deadly force was determined by a judge to fall outside of the stand your ground protections. The fact that he was acquitted of murder doesn't automatically place him under those protections again.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#44]
If you think the guy was shot because he threw popcorn, do you also think Rittenhouse was a white supremacist who opened fire on peaceful protestors?

My point being: the media lies to you. There was more to this than popcorn.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#45]
I too am surprised by the outcome. On the other hand, the guy that got shot was the aggressor. If someone asks you to observe normal decorum and you reaction is to try to bully someone who is weaker than you, I have absolutely no sympathy for you when you find out the hard way that they your victim doesn't like getting bullied.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's why I am shocked that he was acquitted. The fact that he went to his car and got a gun instead of just leaving. Sounds like he was ready to smoke the guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I am shocked that he was acquitted. The fact that he went to his car and got a gun instead of just leaving. Sounds like he was ready to smoke the guy.
Except that he did NOT go to his car and retrieve his gun. He talked to the manager, and then returned to the theater.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t know if this was the case in this incident, but some theaters have reserved/assigned seating. Your seat number is on your ticket. That also doesn’t mean that there were not other empty seats he could have moved to. Regardless, if I have one of the best seats in the house, why should I move because someone else nearby is being an asshole?

In the alternative world, the asshole should have realized how his behavior was impacting other theater patrons ability to enjoy the experience, apologized and put his phone away.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I don't think "stand your ground" works that way. His use of deadly force was determined by a judge to fall outside of the stand your ground protections. The fact that he was acquitted of murder doesn't automatically place him under those protections again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Article says wife of dead guy was shot in the hand.  Can he be tried for shooting the wife?  

Wonder how the civil suit will go.

Dupe police, post up or shut up.  I searched long and hard.  

It was a self defense immunity hearing, "stand your ground" hearing is a retarded colloquialism that people need to stop using.

He was also charged with shooting her, and acquitted of that as well. He could not be found innocent of murder against Chad and guilty of battery against Nicole.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It was a self defense immunity hearing, "stand your ground" hearing is a retarded colloquialism that people need to stop using.

He was also charged with shooting her, and acquitted of that as well. He could not be found innocent of murder against Chad and guilty of battery against Nicole.
View Quote

How many rounds did he fire?  Jury's decision aside for the self defense verdict, how can you not be responsible for wife getting hit?  Even if it was accidental on the woman, there's still civil repercussions.  Or, was she also involved in attacking?

Is there video of the shooting out there?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

THIN
BLUE
LINE
View Quote

Take the fact that he is a retired cop out of it and I bet most opinions would change.  

If this was your average GDer carrying at a movie that shot some dude, most of you would say it was a good shoot.  Throw in the GD cop hate, and this guy should be guilty just because of his chosen profession.....
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top