Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/2/2023 11:48:33 PM EDT
What states offer tax friendliness for retirement while being very 2A friendly?

I'm coming up with Wyoming.

Who else?
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Factor weather into that equation and see what happens.

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:55:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Trying to avoid Florida.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:57:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Tennessee and Iowa if withdrawing from qualified account.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Missouri for sure.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:00:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
That takes Wyoming off the list for many.

I grew up in Maine and lived in NW Michigan before move out here. I thought was an expert at winter until I moved out here 12 years ago, it's a whole different kind suck here. For such a sparsely populated state, the real estate costs were another shocker, especially if you want something with some acreage and somewhere scenic.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:01:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Where my family is. TX.  At that point, I won't give a damn about anything else.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:01:23 AM EDT
[#8]
There’s a reason no one lives in WY, aside from miners, ranchers and sex offenders.  It’s really an awful state, barren, cold and windy.  A few parts look decent enough, but they’re even more expensive than wherever you’re trying to escape from, at which point taxes don’t seem to matter.  Most of it sucks balls.  

IMO, 2A is a higher priority than taxes, but below overall cost of living.  If you just look at states with low or no income tax, they usually will have higher property or sales taxes, so it evens out.  But if a median home price is $500K+, compared to $300K in a different state, the couple of percentage points in income tax aren’t as important anymore.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:01:41 AM EDT
[#9]
You have to include cost of living in this equation.

For example, Mississippi has a state income tax (and great gun laws)....but is so cheap to live in most areas, you could still come out ahead of a no tax state.

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:04:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Not so much about perfect state but rather the perfect town.

Fuck cities.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There’s a reason no one lives in WY, aside from miners, ranchers and sex offenders.  It’s really an awful state, barren, cold and windy.  A few parts look decent enough, but they’re even more expensive than wherever you’re trying to escape from, at which point taxes don’t seem to matter.  Most of it sucks balls.  

IMO, 2A is a higher priority than taxes, but below overall cost of living.  If you just look at states with low or no income tax, they usually will have higher property or sales taxes, so it evens out.  But if a median home price is $500K+, compared to $300K in a different state, the couple of percentage points in income tax aren’t as important anymore.
View Quote

Folks interested in WY really need to spend a few there in Winter before formulating a move. There was good reasoning behind why my brother built his place in the SE side of a hill.  He also had six heavy hinges on his mud room door.

A house about a quarter mile north of him he called "The Spring House". It caught the full brunt of fhe 8 months of winter. Got it's name because it always had a For Sale sign every Spring.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:10:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Weather, access to basic services, like quality medical care.  Something to do, other than sitting around and waiting to die.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:10:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Will you send me standard (high capacity mags)?
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:13:59 AM EDT
[#14]
It's often not just the 2A. Only one state has a guaranteed protection of jury nullification.
The overall attitude difference can be worth a lot more than just the 2A.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:19:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Hard to beat NH, and we need all the conservative Republican voters we can get.   Make sure you you leave any city values, city demand for services, city attitudes, city expectations, etc back where you came from.

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:19:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Folks interested in WY really need to spend a few there in Winter before formulating a move. There was good reasoning behind why my brother built his place in the SE side of a hill.  He also had six heavy hinges on his mud room door.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know plenty of people who’ve retired from and left WY to go to many other, warmer places, some more expensive.  I don’t know any who’ve moved there in their older years.  There’s nothing good there and the weather is not good even in the summer.  Not that it’s an “epidemic” like the media wants you to believe, but there’s a reason states like WY, AK and MT are always at the top of suicide stats.  The cold and isolation will drive you mad, and there’s nothing else to occupy yourself with, aside from drinking and meth.  Some places look better on paper than they do in reality.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:21:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A house about a quarter mile north of him he called "The Spring House". It caught the full brunt of fhe 8 months of winter. Got it's name because it always had a For Sale sign every Spring.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn’t mind the cold, and I didn’t mind risking my life on the icy highways.   I actually Liked the challenge of flying in the weather and landing in 29 gusting to 49 knots.  
But it was the incessant Sound of the wind howling that got to me.    That, and the general bleakness of it all.     There are beautiful areas, but either too expensive, or no jobs, or both.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:22:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:23:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Alaska has low taxes but a very high cost of living.

10 Cheapest States to Retire 2023
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:26:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Even if you find a favorable state, many times it comes down to the individual counties as far as tax rates go.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:26:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

FL has hurricanes.

Snow is nice, I just want the short snow season.  
Places I would consider but much more research must happen before I even go look.
TN (eastern), FL, ME (close to coast), SD (Black Hills), WY, AK (close to coast), UT, ID, have family as a factor
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:59:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Good thoughts so far. Keep em coming. Having just turned 48, I want to start putting plans in place for retirement location.

I am born and raised PA, and I love PA, but this state is falling and as soon as they get their hands on both sides of the legislature, that's the end of our 2A here.

Plus taxes suck.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:40:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I can attest that WY is crazy expensive if you want to live anywhere decent.

Clapped out trailer on acerage or mcmansion on nothing for 800k. Those are your choices. Nobody is selling stuff you want to move to. There aren't enough houses to sell.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:42:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Trying to avoid Florida.
View Quote

Interested as well.  Fuck this place.  Maybe Tennessee?
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:54:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Wyoming is a good call.  No state taxes and as much 2a freedom as you'll find anywhere.  If you can put up with the wind, the winters and the isolation, it's perfect.  

I'm ready to go someplace warm.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:59:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Tax wise it would have to be NH in New England
SS and pensions aren't taxed

Only thing is housing or land isn't that cheap
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:01:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Wyoming is a good call.  No state taxes and as much 2a freedom as you'll find anywhere.  If you can put up with the wind, the winters and the isolation, it's perfect.  

I'm ready to go someplace warm.
View Quote

NC ?
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:45:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Indiana is overall a pretty decent state. IIRC the state senate is 40R-10d and the state house is 70R-30d, every statewide office is R and we have good gun laws. There seems to be a red flag-ish law from around 2005 (guy shot some cops). No permit needed to carry anymore but you can get a CHL for reciprocity. One side is Illinois and Michigan is starting to play the retard game. I haven't heard anything about them pulling reciprocity; gun laws seem ok if you just want to camp up north. Ohio and Kentucky are sane enough, for the most part.

We're a tall enough state you can choose from a north-lite or southern-ish clime.
I got fingerprinted a while back to apply for other states' permits and the police sergeant told me that most of our cities and bigger towns vote R; I haven't verified that. My town of about ~2000 has about 7-8 churches, 1 bar, two restaurants and 1 gun store. He's great but it's a small store; I'll buy from him but usually transfer lowers from the next town over (3 transfers for $25). Lots of neighbors with American and DTOM flags and lots of trucks with flags in the summer. There's also a few nice to great parks about a half hour drive from me to go for a hike or mountain bike a horse trail. I need to get back up to the Dunes before summer hits and everyone else goes, haven't been there in years but have fond memories.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:52:51 AM EDT
[#30]
TX or TN.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:21:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Every place has some good things and some bad things. You should start with what things that you like to do and factor that in because being happy is worth some expense.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:26:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Not Nevada any more
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:48:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Retirees must also factor in health care. I had to travel 60 miles to have my hip fixed. The logistics were a bit daunting.
And poorer states have poorer doctors.  NM and Idaho both have to bribe med school grads to move there: "work here xx years and we'll pay your school loans."
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:40:22 AM EDT
[#34]
FL starting July 1 is permitless concealed-only carry. Property taxes are cheaper compared to GA. Weather wise, if you enjoy heatt and humidity, it sure beats frozen and cold. Cost of living is on the rise and property isn't cheap.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 5:36:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Howsabout you work on fixing your fuckin state?
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 5:37:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
How about fucking your own face?

I do a lot to stem the tide.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 5:38:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Will you send me standard (high capacity mags)?
View Quote
Yes I will.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 5:51:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Dudes too ashamed to even list his state lmao
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:03:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, Wyoming sounds like the right choice.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:04:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hard to beat NH, and we need all the conservative Republican voters we can get.   Make you you leave any city values, city demand for services, city attitudes, city expectations, etc back where you came from.

View Quote

+1

The only deal-breaker is the weather.  But that does add in some interesting outdoor activities.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:14:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Trying to avoid Florida.
View Quote

FL is getting unaffordable on a daily cost of living basis. Factor in real estate and overwhelmed infrastructure (and cranky, entitled, all about me old fucks—and I’m 64) and QOL suffers.

We would be in NC full time already if not for the wife’s family and job.

And, it’s already summertime hot in SWFL.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:19:41 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm all about 2A. (I never open carry)
I dislike winter.
Here I am, after 54 years in KY.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#43]
South Carolina

Taxes, climate, pro-2A, beaches, mountains, etc.

The problem(s) is/are all the liberal mindset northerners moving down here and, to some degree, even the halfbacks coming up from Florida.  

They're changing things here unfortunately. Our culture is being ripped apart.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:24:10 AM EDT
[#44]
FL TN TX are the short list when you also factor medical and weather. While not my cup of tea, there's real appeal to a city like The Villages for the socialization aspects as well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:26:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

+1

The only deal-breaker is the weather.  But that does add in some interesting outdoor activities.
View Quote
I spent over a year living in NH while my boat was in Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. I really did love it there.

I love changing seasons.., hence tongue in cheek "trying to avoid FL," but if I'm looking for a good retiree tax situation + 2A friendliness, then things like heat/cold/snow/etc are secondary.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:26:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
FL TN TX are the short list when you also factor medical and weather. While not my cup of tea, there's real appeal to a city like The Villages for the socialization aspects as well.
View Quote

I'll take a look at TN too.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:43:42 AM EDT
[#47]
TN, MO, and UT are all on my short list.

While I do like the change in seasons, I’m tired of Chicago winters. And definitely tired of Illinois politics.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What states offer tax friendliness for retirement while being very 2A friendly?

I'm coming up with Wyoming.

Who else?
View Quote

I would think it’s too cold for much gardening and not too many good hospitals.  Cost of heating for the winters probably high.  I’m sure it’s nice there but it’s been years since I’ve been there
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:58:25 AM EDT
[#49]
I would say WV. We have lots of little taxes, but overall our tax burden is pretty low. And its getting better.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:59:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Where my family is. TX.  At that point, I won't give a damn about anything else.
View Quote

But then you would have to live in Texas.

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top