BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I remember being a teenager in the early 80's watching WWF. Always felt like WCW was the low-rent, farm league version of wrestling. In the end I'm not really sure who the better actors were. WWF was super contrived.....perhaps WCW was the better product. Who knows. Really amazed wrestling is still a thing.
View Quote
Seems to be a North vs South thing from talking to friends as we all where WCW fans not WWF. While a few of my friends from up north loved WWF.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a lot of fit, athletic guys that could physically handle the mechanics of pro wrestling without getting hurt or hurting the other guys, but that's not what makes a prowrestler. What makes a pro wrestler is the sell and the gimmick. The rest is just practice and techniques. The audience comes for the meller drammer of the sell and the gimmick, not the athleticism.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Seems to be a North vs South thing from talking to friends as we all where WCW fans not WWF. While a few of my friends from up north loved WWF.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember being a teenager in the early 80's watching WWF. Always felt like WCW was the low-rent, farm league version of wrestling. In the end I'm not really sure who the better actors were. WWF was super contrived.....perhaps WCW was the better product. Who knows. Really amazed wrestling is still a thing.
The WWF of the 80s and early 90s was cartoonish and over the top. JCP/NWA is recognized as being the more realistic product. That changed when JCP sold out to Turner and people like Jim Herd took charge of WCW.

As I was growing up, Mid Atlantic was my standard as I could watch every week. My experience with WWF was limited to SNME and VHS tapes. I enjoyed them both for what they were. But in WWF you would never see something like the Road Warriors drive a spike into Dusty's eye. There wasn't much 'real' heat in WWF.

But it kind of comes down to a conversation between McMahon and Ted Turner. When Turner bought JCP, he is rumored to have called McMahon and proclaimed that he was now in the rasslin business. McMahon is said to have replied that he was in the entertainment business. And therein lies the reason that McMahon is a billionaire.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top