BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/6/2024 5:28:36 PM EDT
major intersection, north Houston Hwy 69

driving to the airport

red light

left turn lane next to us is full and stopped, one car ahead and multiple cars behind us stopped for light

right two lanes are bumper to bumper, so all four lanes stacked up waiting for the light

Car in front of us - door pops open, dude jumps out wearing a hoodie, starts yelling and moving around the front of his car to the car to our right

So far I can see both of his empty hands.  Dude in the car on the right also jumps out (wearing a safety vest like he's going to work at the airport) and they began to nose-off yell at each other, but not chest bumping yet.

Nolan Ryan-looking guy gets out of his car on the far right and separates the two yellers.

He's tall, 250ish, lean, clean cut and physically pushes them apart.

Hoodie dude gets back into his car, yelling all the time.  Safety vester gets back in his car  and both drive away with the green light.

From door pop to drive off is less than a minute.

We were surrounded and stopped in traffic.

I guess if anyone had started popping caps, we could've tried to bail and run toward the cars behind us.

I was with my wife, but I was the only one of the two of us carrying at the time.  (She was flying out of Houston, and didn't bring her pistol)

In a similar situation what would GD have done?

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Are they trying to back up?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I would not have done anything.  It could have been bait, to get someone like you out of their car so they could rob you.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
What do you drive?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#5]
The typical arfcommer would never go to the airport.  Or still be married.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would not have done anything.  It could have been bait, to get someone like you out of their car so they could rob you.  
View Quote

good input

They deserved Academy Awards.

We stayed locked in.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I would have sat there and watched them demonstrate their lack of fighting ability. I don’t break up fights or get involved in any other fashion.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I would have gotten my phone out and recorded it so when I made a boring ass post on the internet about a big nothingburger I could at least entertain the few poor schmucks who wasted their time reading it with a video of the incident.

But thats just me.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What do you drive?
View Quote

The Big 7

I was prepared to have to call Safelite

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Situation normal in Houston. Leave more room in front of you, either get a running start to push or maneuver around.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Do the best you can. What kind of vehicle were you driving? Enough to push the car in front or in back (or both..) out of the way?  Best plan is get off the X and not be where the shit goes down…if it takes smashing a vehicle to get of there then that's what you do….if it comes to that. Sounds like it worked out ok though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Lock doors.  Keep pistol near or in hand.  Mind my own business til that was no longer possible. Let mutual combatants go at it until somebody was gonna die.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would have gotten my phone out and recorded it so when I made a boring ass post on the internet about a big nothingburger I could at least entertain the few poor schmucks who wasted their time reading it with a video of the incident.

But thats just me.

View Quote

That's the first thing I thought of when they drove off.

I should've told my wife to start recording it immediately.

But I wasn't going to have a phone in my hands if things had gotten vibrant.

Happened quickly
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:37:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lock doors.  Keep pistol near or in hand.  Mind my own business til that was no longer possible. Let mutual combatants go at it until somebody was gonna die.
View Quote

They can both die, I don’t give a shit. I ain’t involved unless you force me to be.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did exactly that.

But being so close, if these two hoopleheads started pray and spray it could've swiss cheesed us in a heartbeat
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Big 7

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/bmw_2019b-3151267.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you drive?

The Big 7

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/bmw_2019b-3151267.jpg

Dude, you’re in luck! There’s a training film.

Here

Jason Statham escapes from the police in a BMW with robbers / The Transporter (2002)
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
major intersection, north Houston Hwy 59

driving to the airport

red light

left turn lane next to us is full and stopped, one car ahead and multiple cars behind us stopped for light

right two lanes are bumper to bumper, so all four lanes stacked up waiting for the light

Car in front of us - door pops open, dude jumps out wearing a hoodie, starts yelling and moving around the front of his car to the car to our right

So far I can see both of his empty hands.  Dude in the car on the right also jumps out (wearing a safety vest like he's going to work at the airport) and they began to nose-off yell at each other, but not chest bumping yet.

Nolan Ryan-looking guy gets out of his car on the far right and separates the two yellers.

Hoodie dude gets back into his car, yelling all the time.  Safety vester gets back in his car  and both drive away with the green light.

From door pop to drive off is less than a minute.

We were surrounded and stopped in traffic.

I guess if anyone had started popping caps, we could've tried to bail and run toward the cars behind us.

I was with my wife, but I was the only one of the two of us carrying at the time.  (She was flying out of Houston, and didn't bring her pistol)

In a similar situation what would GD have done?

View Quote

If you can clear out, do so.  In a similar situation (street person v guy in car and girl in car with a softball bat!) I was completely stuck in traffic, but had my pistol out of its holster and below the window.  Westheimer in front of the Galleria.  The street guy pulled his hand from behind his back and for a split second, when all I saw was a dark object....ooo-wee, it gives you a much better appreciation of what a lot of cops have gone through.  Dumbfuck had a phone in his hand.  Which did him no good as the guy now had the bat, and was chasing him around cars.  Yay Houston.

Light changed, traffic somewhat moved, and I got out of there.  It's a shithole, everyone.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Take a vertical video and upload to Worldstar.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Situation normal in Houston. Leave more room in front of you, either get a running start to push or maneuver around.
View Quote

Yep.  Often not possible (see Galleria example).  So stay out of those areas.

I've a Toyota sedan.  The only thing getting pushed in if I hit anything solid, is my shit.  For the cowboy Cadillac drivers, party on.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I think there was a section on that in the training film 'Sicario' featuring Specs.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep.  Often not possible (see Galleria example).  So stay out of those areas.

I've a Toyota sedan.  The only thing getting pushed in if I hit anything solid, is my shit.  For the cowboy Cadillac drivers, party on.
View Quote

69 and Will Clayton Parkway

heading west into the airport
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#23]
If shots start flying, get the fuck away as quickly as possible. That may require hitting other cars...so be it. Get the fuck away as quickly as possible.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:53:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

But thats just me.

View Quote
I like the cut of your jib.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Blade at 45, drop to the ground, and shoot both parties in the ankles.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#27]
situation dependent but I'm either huddled in the car ducking or I'm moving and trying to encourage my wife to do the same depending on where the deadly threat(s) are.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
situation dependent but I'm either huddled in the car ducking or I'm moving and trying to encourage my wife to do the same depending on where the deadly threat(s) are.
View Quote

True

I'd left room in front of our car, but all four lanes were stacked 6-8 cars deep beside and behind us.

Even the Big 7 wasn't going to move anyone.

I guess if they'd started popping caps I would've yelled for my wife to bail and run in the direction behind us.

I was more concerned with wild shots than actually being targeted and if I could avoid it I was NOT going to get involved in their shitfight.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#29]
A similar situation caused me to start trying my best to leave a means of egress. I do know that can be tough in busy/large roadways. Anymore I'll change lanes coming up to an intersection if it means I'll have a better path out if need be. Yeah, it's somewhat exhausting to have to constantly analyze like that, but if it saves your life, worth it.

Glad it turned out to be a nothing burger OP (99.9% of the time it is. Until it isn't.)
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#30]
OP

Looks like  you have a  fancy car

Why do you not have a Dash Camera and  a Rear Facing  Camera....

We live in  The Woodlands and I flew out  of  Bush dozens of times for  about 20 years while working  International Oilpatch.

I  had  a AFC Limo take me  to  the airport and pick me  up.  About ~$120 ish....each way.  The  Driver drops you right at your Gate and  is  close when  they pick you up.
This is the best way to get to/from Bush.  Plus  the  Drivers  will assist  with all the luggage. You  might consider this  next time.

At  a minimum get  a  good quality Dash Camera  and Rear  Facing  Camera.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I always try to leave enough room in front to turn out left or right if possible. Of course if you are in the middle, you are kind of fucked, but that little bit of extra room may give you room to ram or push someone out of the way in a bad situation.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#32]
This is GD. We all have truck guns just in case.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#33]
If you don't know who's the good guy and who's the bad guy....best stay out of the situation.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:05:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

A running start to push a vehicle is a good way to set off your own airbag or the inertia switch which will kill your fuel pump.  Ease up and then accelerate into their vehicle
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've never understood why someone is compelled to get in the middle of a fight between two people they don't know.  It is a stupid thing to do.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I was concerned that Mr. NolanRyan-like guy was going to get ventilated like in a domestic argument.

He was like a high school defensive coach shutting down two 7th graders.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#37]
I would do nothing.  Why out yourself in a situation that could get you killed because someone felt disrespected.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I was concerned that Mr. NolanRyan-like guy was going to get ventilated like in a domestic argument.

He was like a high school defensive coach shutting down two 7th graders.
View Quote

Was your wife into this guy too?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#39]
IDK but Mom and I are flying in there on the 16th, gonna be interesting when brother shows up with mountain of truck.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#40]
I would have told everyone else in the car to unbuckle and get ready to hit the floorboard if rounds stared flying. Maybe snapped a couple pics of license plates and participants in case it got ugly and police were involved
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Was your wife into this guy too?
View Quote

He was such a Texas hunk I slipped the Big 7 into neutral and bounced the tach.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A running start to push a vehicle is a good way to set off your own airbag or the inertia switch which will kill your fuel pump.  Ease up and then accelerate into their vehicle
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed, always a possibility. Most stuff seems to trigger at a fairly decent g event watching video of airbag deployment in wrecks but few of us likely have applicable experience in this type of situation to know where that line is.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#43]
What OP thought was going to happen:
Sicario (2015) - Border Ambush Scene | Movieclips

What actually happened:
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Get out your phone and record vertical video!  Duh!

Realistically there's not much you could do besides sit tight. Maybe lock the doors if they aren't.

This shit is the reason to leave a gap so you can crank the steering wheel and drive away.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But thats just me.

I'm still waiting for the MS Paint drawing...

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#46]
thread needs moar pics/vids/MS paint.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What OP thought was going to happen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ6wl07EHxc

What actually happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWk-U-vur80
View Quote

That can get you hurt in Houston.

Er'body packin'
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Why do you not have a Dash Camera and  a Rear Facing  Camera....

View Quote
This. I have front and rear cams. Dont need to pull the phone to record stupidity.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That can get you hurt in Houston.

Er'body packin'
View Quote
H-Town, you say?

@Agilt
@PhuzzyGnu
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#50]
shoot them, shoot them both
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top