Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know you posted that in jest but check this out:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64958/FB_IMG_1688244717980-2870749.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

my guess is to keep rain water out while they plan the fix. Nothing like repairing to corrode from the inside out
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#6]
That ride is done for the season.  That's a custom welded part and going to be replaced from its mounting points, along with inspection of that entire coaster.

Out local park is Kings Dominion, with has numerous premier rides closed since last year.  They haven't given any details but its piss-poor they don't provide any reason or notice to visitors that drive hours to visit.

Cedar Fair has really gone downhill with its management.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Man, I am 1 state over. I could have been on that. Counting my blessings
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Why would Carowinds keep that coaster open for one more circuit when patrons made them aware of the crack?

Oh, wait… Never mind.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I’m not a roller coaster designer or engineer but I did want to be one as a kid. I feel like they designed this backwards. There’s nothing really supporting where the force from the track is being pushed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/286798/1E49775E-BFC3-478E-99CA-CCD635C47602_jpe-2870744.JPG
View Quote

You have some natural engineering intuition. It cracked from fatigue that occurs from tension loading. If the support was placed on the outside there would be less tension loading in the connection. A better connection detail between the vertical an diagonal support would also help to reduce the risk of fatigue.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone blame it on Trump yet?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Carbon fiber is the future.
Welders are a thing of the past.
View Quote

Lets build a deep sea submersible out of CF................

I'd LOVE to see CF used instead of steel in high pressure gas mains. Well, except if some tard scrapes the side of it just a wee bit. Steel has some ability to resist scrapes and such, CF, not so much.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
pros:

-It was still doing its job, mostly
-They shut the ride down before tragedy

cons:

-It was noticed by visitors rather than safety inspectors
View Quote

This.   I wonder when the State did their last inspection?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought they did daily inspections on these badass roller coasters! Or did they just pencil whip this one?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I thought they did daily inspections on these badass roller coasters! Or did they just pencil whip this one?
View Quote

In aircraft maintenance, we have a system of official inspections (100 hour, annual, progressive, etc), and a system of unofficial inspections (100 foot, 50 foot, 20 foot...).

The unofficial inspections are used to determine how badly you want to try to get management to assign you to work on any plane other than the one in question.

Maybe the park got the two systems of inspections confused?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You have some natural engineering intuition. It cracked from fatigue that occurs from tension loading. If the support was placed on the outside there would be less tension loading in the connection. A better connection detail between the vertical an diagonal support would also help to reduce the risk of fatigue.
View Quote

A support placed on the outside would increase the footprint of the ride, and parks seem to try to cram as many rides as possible into the space they have.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Ooof. I do some welding at work. Thankfully, it's nothing that critical.

The welder, contractor, and inspector that have their names all over the paperwork for that are probably not having a super awesome 4th of July right now.

But noone died, so I suppose they can be glad they're atleast not looking at jail.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A support placed on the outside would increase the footprint of the ride, and parks seem to try to cram as many rides as possible into the space they have.
View Quote

Was going to post this.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A park patron saw it and alerted everyone.  The park claims ‘they inspect their rides every morning’….sure they do.
View Quote

You know that they're gonna look at those logs and find out who was doing those "inspections".
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#19]

He left out the gravitational eccentric load in his FEA model produced by the weight of the structure, and the passing coaster car.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Holy shit

Quoted:
Glad it got caught before anybody was killed.

View Quote

This - that's a complete break, not a crack.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Really good analysis, and broke exactly where it should have given the loads.   I know a lot of people are poo-poo-ing the steel, laughing at the park for bad inspections, etc.   Fact of the matter is this is the kind of thing to be expect in a high performance application where the engineers had to make a lot of compromises.  I thought his comments about inspection were spot on.  Short of being within 3 feet of that joint, which would require a lift of some sort or a pretty complex rigging off the main track, that crack is going to be really hard to see until it gets to the point that it was at.

My guess is that part of the "fix" is going to be some ladder rungs up those support posts where someone can do just that on a regular basis.    Also, the plastic wrap is probably there to preserve as much evidence as they can for inspection.  One of the first things the inspectors will look for is the crack initiation site to confirm the cause of the failure.   Was it in fact a poor weld?   Was it a material defect in the steel?   Was it just an overload / understrength situation by design?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'd LOVE to see CF used instead of steel in high pressure gas mains. Well, except if some tard scrapes the side of it just a wee bit. Steel has some ability to resist scrapes and such, CF, not so much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Carbon fiber is the future.
Welders are a thing of the past.

Are you a 50yr old white guy ?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Saran wrapped it. Good to go now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

As mentioned that is to prevent corossion on the inside.

My guess is they’ll replace the entire support and redesign that joint based on what they learn.  That is a LOT of force.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Wonder how many other failures are out there on these things awaiting a real inspection to find.  Or a fatal accident.  Sheesh.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Roller coasters aren't all they're cracked up to be
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It looks more like a crappy weld.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shit Chinese steel. Road that coaster end of last year.

It looks more like a crappy weld.

Yeah, I'm thinking propagation from a bad weld.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#29]
steel bends. its what it does. needs to be fixed but its not that big a deal. probably assembled in tension.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#30]
That's my son's favorite coaster there.  It's always his first and last coaster ridden for the day.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That ride is done for the season.  That's a custom welded part and going to be replaced from its mounting points, along with inspection of that entire coaster.

Out local park is Kings Dominion, with has numerous premier rides closed since last year.  They haven't given any details but its piss-poor they don't provide any reason or notice to visitors that drive hours to visit.

Cedar Fair has really gone downhill with its management.
View Quote

We obviously need Chinese financed inspectors for Chinese steel...Biden can appoint the necessary overseers from an approved list given to him by his laison working for Xi.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Cedar Fair is a big purchaser of B&M coasters (20 out of 124 built), I'm certain that Cedar Fair and B&M are working together to fix the issue.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think the only story here is how the park missed this for days.

Things can break - I think it shows a solid design in the fact that it’s broke clean through at the apex of a turn and still didn’t end in disaster.
View Quote

[Laughs in repeated inspections of the Hernando de Soto Bridge, which damn near saw a collapse.]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm thinking propagation from a bad weld.
View Quote
Certainly involves the weld, and it's possible that the weld itself had a major inclusion that didn't get seen on inspection. But I bet both sides of that bead are still attached to the diagonal support.  The parent metal of the vertical failed in the heat affected zone of the weld.   Inter-pass temp was too high and it hardened the microstructure just past the weld bead itself or some similar heat related issue.

Welding is where caveman meets mettalurgist.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#35]
All I know is I wouldn’t want to be the workers who have to go way up there and fix that thing!!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Having grown up at Action Park, I’m underwhelmed at the danger level here.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Really good analysis, and broke exactly where it should have given the loads.   I know a lot of people are poo-poo-ing the steel, laughing at the park for bad inspections, etc.   Fact of the matter is this is the kind of thing to be expect in a high performance application where the engineers had to make a lot of compromises.  I thought his comments about inspection were spot on.  Short of being within 3 feet of that joint, which would require a lift of some sort or a pretty complex rigging off the main track, that crack is going to be really hard to see until it gets to the point that it was at.
View Quote

Maybe not.  Ever consider a drone with high quality video camera?

How did they put that plastic around it?    Can you move a "car" around and stop to look at it.   Extension devices with recording video camera?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#38]
That thing is crazy high.

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

How did they put that plastic around it?    Can you move a "car" around and stop to look at it.   Extension devices with recording video camera?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Likely used an articulating man lift. It’s totally possible that up close inspection may be periodical (monthly or whatever and the entire visible failure happened within that last period

But what I still don’t understand is how last week people on the ground could see it and it wasn’t flagged. Perhaps daily is by the min wage kids just wanting to get through the day and skipping it. Complacency kills  
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#40]
My entire lifetime of reason based on absolute terror has been vindicated.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My entire lifetime of reason based on absolute terror has been vindicated.
View Quote

Somewhere there is coaster designer chuckling to himself, saying "I knew it!"
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
JB Weld...
View Quote

No. JB can't weld. Thats the problem.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#43]
They need to make one like this with a 3,215 FT drop.

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

I see the problem.   They need five to ten times more structural steel supporting it before I would go in it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They need to make one like this with a 3,215 FT drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuTz3SqdBX0
View Quote

Haganai NEXT - Riding the BLACK DRAGON - Official Clip
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#46]
I hate coaster like that. It feels like it's compressing my spine at the bottom of the drops. No thanks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I hate coaster like that. It feels like it's compressing my spine at the bottom of the drops. No thanks.
View Quote

It’s probably because it is compressing your spine.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
And it was spotted by a random patron who looked up and saw it shifting as the ride was in operation. Not only shit steel or whatever but no safety inspections
View Quote

Who knows when it failed?  Could've broken within seconds of Jimbob P. Public filming it on his $30 smartphone.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top