Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/10/2019 10:29:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#1]
My first one was painless and effortless.

My second felt like I had a pair of pliers yanking my tooth out every moment for 2 days.

Hopefully you have a good experience.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Shouldn't be any pain other than at the injection sites.

When they do a mold for the crown there will be some temporary pain from the gum around the tooth.  If they do it right they will make a gap between the remaining tooth and gum so the crown sits below the gum line. They do this with some sort of floss/string and it hurts when the pack it it.

ETA>> I have good experience here, I inherited rotten teeth from my mother's side.  I lost track of the root canals but every tooth up top is a crown with or without root canal, about a third on the bottom.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How could it still hurt if pulling the root out is part of the process?

Not arguing with you - just trying to understand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My first one was painless and effortless.

My second felt like I had a pair of pliers yanking my tooth out every moment for 2 days.

Hopefully you have a good experience.
How could it still hurt if pulling the root out is part of the process?

Not arguing with you - just trying to understand.
I'm not an orthodontist. But the second root canal felt like they planted a slow burning ember up in the base of my tooth. The kind of dull ache you feel if you take a good solid punch to the forehead. Dull, constant, and throbbing. I guess they can't drill out all the nerves in there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:45:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The root is not gone. The infected nerve is removed by drilling it out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I had two of them. Not a big deal at all, and they totally solve the initial pain/problem.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm already sitting on a temporary crown.  They were hoping that a root canal wouldn't be needed, but it's been hurting for the last week.  So, I'm going back in tomorrow morning.
View Quote
That's the good thing about a root canal if you can call it that, usually you are in pain to begin with so it's really a relief, not torture.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I had one done 3 years ago and it was my first time.  This was a front tooth I chipped when I was young and never got it fixed.  It took about 30 years to die out and I think the nerve was completely gone and it never caused me any pain at any time.  The procedure was painless as well.  I got lucky.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:53:56 PM EDT
[#13]
They are not worth having done. Generally they don't hold up well. Mine lasted three years and I had to have it pulled.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had root canal teeth go bad years later.  One needed to be pulled and a permanent bridge installed, the other required a truly medieval procedure called an apicoectomy.  They open the gum and bone to remove and seal the root tip when infection set back into nerve canal.  I gruesome procedure that I slept right through.   It sucked but saved me big bucks from a replacement crown or a bridge.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#15]
My only root canal was absolutely no big deal at all. Went to work after it was done, very little pain. Had a tooth removed in December, last upper molar...same thing. Virtually no pain. It should be no problem.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I've heard your mouth can become sore from holding it open for the length of the procedure.

The Dr that did mine used some kind of rubber wedge thing, that helped support your open mouth to prevent soreness.

The only pain that I had was from the pressure created by injecting the pain medication near the abscess.
That was a new level of pain for me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I've only had one. Pretty painless.
The smell, holy crap. I don't think I'll forget the smell.
They took a post procedure xray to make sure the nerve was gone.
it's been about 4 months now.
Seems OK so far.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ve had several and they’re not usually very bad.  The first appointment will be the worst, but it shouldn’t be too bad unless you’ve got a really bad abscess, and it doesn’t sound like you do.  Not a whole lot worse than getting a filling.  I had three teeth pulled last week and it was way less pain than I was expecting, and a root canal isn’t even in the same ballpark.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#20]
All depends on how good the dentist is. Mine hurt like hell during, and the temporary crown fit poorly causing pain. She had to prescribe me pain meds.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I've had two done, not that big of a deal. I don't think that I would let a dentist that doesn't have the ability to mill a crown on site do a root canal on me however, that temporary crown bs is for the birds.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Meh, its no big. Had one done 20 years ago in College. Eventually it failed as the crown kept popping out.

Then had an implant put in - best decision ever. Its undetectable from other teeth - both in use and appearance.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've had two done, not that big of a deal. I don't think that I would let a dentist that doesn't have the ability to mill a crown on site do a root canal on me however, that temporary crown bs is for the birds.
View Quote
This.  In office crown is a must anymore.  Temp crowns are fucking horrible
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Truth. I broke a crown and when I had it replaced we did the entire procedure right then and there, never again will I do the temporary thing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#26]
My advice is to have some ibuprofen in your pocket and take it before you leave the dentist office and well before the novocain wears off.

They’ll write you a prescription, you won’t get it soon enough.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:50:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Pull it and get an implant.

Root canals are bad for you in the long run.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:58:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Pull it and get an implant.

Root canals are bad for you in the long run.
View Quote
No. Anytime you can save the natural structure, you're usually way better off.

In the old days, we usually extirpated the roots and gave any periapical inflammation a time to drain (a week temporization was not uncommon) and allow the anti-inflammatory effects of certain aromatic oils - such as eugenol or guaiacol to work their soothing effect (this is why the old dental offices had that smell), against the residual inflammation (painful lesion) outside the tooth. This was probably not that critical, though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#29]
For what it’s worth I’ve never had a root canal.
I have however performed hundreds of them.
95% of the time they’re pain free and without issue. Your likely is one of those based on what you said. Most of my complications come from severely infected teeth.
My bet is yours isn’t infected yet based on your comment about temporary.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:05:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:08:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I've had 2 done.  Both were done once the tooth pain had subsided.  The first one I had major toot pain and infection.  The dentist said if the pain is go e by time he starts drilling it should be easy.  It was.  Second root canal wasnt bad at all either.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:08:56 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm going to be the odd guy out.

I've had two root canals.  One was years ago on a front tooth that got knocked in a fight in high school (I graduated in 1984).  No issues with that one, never had a problem, they've had to bleach it once because it got really nasty brown, but otherwise I forget it's had anything done to it.

The other is a back molar that had a root canal/crown in Dec 2017.  It still hurts.  Xrays show the nerve is all gone and it's filled correctly,and no pre or post op infection, but it is still painfully sensitive to pressure (to include chewing and pressure from fingers pressing on the side of the tooth through the cheek) and temperature, both hot and cold.

Dull ache, and it's diminished significantly over the past year, but, yeah.

It's still better than what it was, which was pain from not one but two cracks in it.  I couldn't even drink water from the tap without it hurting, and chewing on that side was right out.

So while something like 90% of root canals go without a hitch, there's always guys like me to throw the curve.

ETA:  I call myself 2% man, because if there's a 2% chance of a side effect, I'll get it.  It never works out for good stuff, like lottery numbers, though.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#33]
I've had two root canals done.  they drill a small hole through the top of the tooth, clean out roots with a microscopic drill, clean it out with some good tasting liquid then fill the void with a cement.  Both of them were nothing, I fell asleep during the first one.  The only pain was the initial shots to numb the area, no pain afterwards or swelling.  It was a 100 times easier than the best filling I had done.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:16:45 AM EDT
[#34]
My last two were due to a severe abscess. Tooth was dead did them both without anesthetic  didn't hurt at all just felt weird when they were rinsing it or suctioning it out. They had to let it drain on one of them for 30 min. I had a endodontist do all of them. I will need to have one tooth pulled if the infection ever comes back.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#35]
I had several.  Never follow up problems.  The first was in a dentists office and somewhat uncomfortable - awkward uncomfortable, not pain uncomfortable.  We'd discused potential problems and she'd mentioned that others had had drills break.  Yikes.  But it went fine.  The others were from an endodontist, special optics gear and all.  No problems at all.  None.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:25:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I had several.  Never follow up problems.  The first was in a dentists office and somewhat uncomfortable - awkward uncomfortable, not pain uncomfortable.  We'd discused potential problems and she'd mentioned that others had had drills break.  Yikes.  But it went fine.  The others were from an endodontist, special optics gear and all.  No problems at all.  None.
View Quote
So do they do the pliers method or what to remove the broken drill bit?
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:54:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They are not worth having done. Generally they don't hold up well. Mine lasted three years and I had to have it pulled.
View Quote
I agree.  Go through the pain and yank the tooth anyway.

Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:00:36 AM EDT
[#38]
What tooth.  If you aren’t in pain now chances are you might be sore after but no more, take ibuprofen befor procedure and after.  Think of it as a root filling.  Unless the dr says otherwise get the crown completed quickly or the tooth will fracture and be lost.  Success rates are part skill, part tooth anatomy, part how long did you wait to get it done.  You likely made a good call trying to keep the tooth.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:00:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Man, easy peasy! I just had one done last week. About an hour or so, no pain. No discomfort except for the rubber wedge propping my mouth open.

My first and I'll be 61 in two weeks. No worse than a regular filling.

Oh, go to an endodontist. That's all they do I'm pretty sure. Mine was an endodontist.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:02:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
X2 for me

OP make sure the crown doesn't stick up excessively or unnaturally if you grind your teeth at night
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:12:23 AM EDT
[#41]
In the case of root canals, Opioids are very good!!!!  Beg for them.  My dentist is great with the numbing but getting shot after shot after shot leaves the gums hurting bad for a few days.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:26:45 AM EDT
[#42]
I’ve done approximately 10,000  root canals over the past 35 years.

It’s not that big of deal and you are going feel much better when the tooth doesn’t hurt anymore.  Occasionally, they flare-up afterwards......this is pretty rare, about 2%.  These flare-ups are mostly associated with dead, infected, or abscesses teeth.  Not very common with a hypersensitive tooth.

You are gunna be fine !
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:28:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In the case of root canals, Opioids are very good!!!!  Beg for them.  My dentist is great with the numbing but getting shot after shot after shot leaves the gums hurting bad for a few days.
View Quote
Wrong.

Ibuprofen is better.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:31:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:33:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So do they do the pliers method or what to remove the broken drill bit?
View Quote
There are tiny extraction instruments to remove broken files.  If the file cannot be removed, it can also be entombed in the fill of the root canal.  Having a file break is pretty rare, but it does happen occasionally, that is why most dentists include that in their informed consent.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:35:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Wrong.

Ibuprofen is better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wrong.

Ibuprofen is better.
BS from someone that has eaten Ibuprofen like candy most of their adult life.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:38:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crap and crap advice.  But, if that’s what you wanna do.......I am sure the dentist will be more that happy to do an implant for you.  Or, you can be one of those guys who is drunk with his own cleverness and decides he will leave the space without a tooth.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:38:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Get the Percocet if it's offered. You'll thank me and your dentist.

I've had a number of root canals over the years. Some were virtually painless (after one wisdom tooth I was eating Mexican food 6 hours later), others were visits to Hell. Get the good stuff. If you don't use it all up, put it on a shelf for a rainy day.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:39:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Mine was painless but when they were cleaning it with chlorine for the crown the rubber dam leaked and I wanted to die from getting concentrated chlorine in my mouth. Taste stuck for days it was horrible.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:39:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Mine was pretty painless.

Upper back molar.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top