Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the Ruger III 22/45. Bitch to strip, and mine would not run worth a shit till I changed the extractor and got rid of the mag saftey thing. Buckmarks are sweet.
View Quote

Pretty much this.  Ruger fucked them up with the lawyer stuff but if you do the two things that dalyman72 did then they will run perfectly--just like the MKII versions.  Costs about 50 bux for a hammer bushing and loaded chamber indicator filler.  The newer Buckmarks also have a mag disco but seems like it's just a wire link that you have to remove from under a grip panel.

I have a few of each.  Like both brands about the same.    

ETA: Own page two.    
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Been leaning towards teh Buckmark myself. "Need" a new can host.

Voted "Ain't nobody go ammo for that". Saw 325 round sealed cans of Federal Champion for $30 today.

Passed at that price.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Buckmark
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably not relevant to you since you live in Texas, but when the Ruger gets cold (<15 Degrees) is does not function well.  I've been shooting a rimfire league up here and I have not seen a Ruger that wasn't plagued with malfunctions when it got cold.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Probably not relevant to you since you live in Texas, but when the Ruger gets cold (<15 Degrees) is does not function well.  I've been shooting a rimfire league up here and I have not seen a Ruger that wasn't plagued with malfunctions when it got cold.
View Quote

Interesting. Something to take into account.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Had both, sold the Buckmark, still have the Ruger (actually now I have two rugers)

The Mk3 issues are pretty easy to fix by removing the mag safety and the stupid loaded chamber indicator. If you can strip a 1911, you can make these changes to a Ruger.

The Buckmark, to completely disassemble it, you need to break out some hex keys to remove the top of the slide...and the barrel is held on by one hex bolt IIRC. That doesn't scream "made for accuracy" to me. Mine was reliable enough, and I will admit it was plenty ergonomic, but it's disassembly was just too...annoying, and like I said, the fact you needed to unscrew some bolts just to get at it to clean all the nooks and crannies...no thanks.

The Rugers I have are both 22/45 models, and are also plenty ergonomic. Mag release is in the right place, the thumb safety operates like a thumb safety should, etc.

Don't buy the "don't disassemble the ruger!" bullshit. People who can't figure out how to disassemble and re-assemble a Ruger 22 are people who have trouble figuring out how to change a flat tire, or who get confused when detail stripping a 1911. There's no magic or difficulty with it. The manual's pretty freaking clear how to do it...it's not a spanish love story about a guy named Manual they threw in gratis with the gun; it's the gun's documentation. I don't understand why so many people never read it...but anyway.

Edited to add - the main downsides to the Ruger vs the Buckmark are that in order to put a can on a Ruger...you either need to buy one with a threaded barrel, send it off to be threaded (won't work if you have a slab sided barrel like one of mine is), OR buy a serialized upper (read: another pistol as far as the gov't is concerned), fill out a 4473, and use that new upper....whereas with the Buckmark, you can order a new barrel from TacSol and call it a day, no paperwork or FFL required. Removing the magazine safety on the Buckmark is admittedly a lot easier than it is on the Ruger, and you don't need to order extra parts to make it work in that case...you do with the Ruger.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Voted "Ain't nobody go ammo for that". Saw 325 round sealed cans of Federal Champion for $30 today.

Passed at that price.
View Quote

SixSquared, if you want the can to run quiet with bulk pack high velocity ammo you'll need a 4" barrel.  My best can hosts (I have both threaded Rugers and Buckmarks) were cut down and threaded steel barrels.  They will run quieter still with std velocity or subsonic ammo.  The short barrel is the key--I can usually hear the bullet hit the target down range.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked the Ruger even though the Buckmark is a bit nicer ergo-wise. My MKIII is fairly bomb-proof. I doubt I can wear that sucker out in my lifetime- especially with the recent ammo availability. Taking it apart will cause fits and lots of cursing. Ditch the stupid mag safety and it's a lot easier. No more "secret handshake".
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Edited to add - the main downsides to the Ruger vs the Buckmark are that in order to put a can on a Ruger...you either need to buy one with a threaded barrel, send it off to be threaded (won't work if you have a slab sided barrel like one of mine is),.....

View Quote

Who told you that?  I had a slab sided 4" Buckmark Camper model threaded and it's my favorite can host.  The slab sided barrels will thread just fine.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:18:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Who told you that?  I had a slab sided 4" Buckmark Camper model threaded and it's my favorite can host.  The slab sided barrels will thread just fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edited to add - the main downsides to the Ruger vs the Buckmark are that in order to put a can on a Ruger...you either need to buy one with a threaded barrel, send it off to be threaded (won't work if you have a slab sided barrel like one of mine is),.....

Who said anything about a Buckmark slab-sided barrel? I said Ruger....I don't know if Buckmarks can be, but every place I looked at that said they could thread Rugers, they all said they can't do it to a slabsided barrel on a Ruger.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#12]
BuckMark.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:22:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm shocked at the poll results. I have owned a MkII and Buckmark. The Buckmark has much better ergos and was WAY more reliable with any ammo. It's also easier to clean and needs cleaning less often, and has a better stock trigger. And it has a nicely machined frame, rather than a stamped piece of sheet metal. It's like comparing a Kia to a BMW, but at the same price.
View Quote
/thread

Could not make it any clearer. The BuckMark is just that much better.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

SixSquared, if you want the can to run quiet with bulk pack high velocity ammo you'll need a 4" barrel.  My best can hosts (I have both threaded Rugers and Buckmarks) were cut down and threaded steel barrels.  They will run quieter still with std velocity or subsonic ammo.  The short barrel is the key--I can usually hear the bullet hit the target down range.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Passed at that price.

Thanks RamSet. I am looking at a factory threaded Micro Bull. I think the barrel is 4" (maybe 4.5" at the most) from what I see on the interwebz. Haven't measured it at the LGS.

Identical to this guy right here

PS. I'm sitting on a small pile of subsonics right now so it ain't a big deal if I have to wait it out until more SS rounds become available. But it would be nice if it'd spit out bulk pack HV at subsonic speed.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't buy the "don't disassemble the ruger!" bullshit. People who can't figure out how to disassemble and re-assemble a Ruger 22 are people who have trouble figuring out how to change a flat tire, or who get confused when detail stripping a 1911. There's no magic or difficulty with it. The manual's pretty freaking clear how to do it...it's not a spanish love story about a guy named Manual they threw in gratis with the gun; it's the gun's documentation. I don't understand why so many people never read it...but anyway.
View Quote

Absolutely.  The tricky part is simply getting the hammer strut lined up with the main spring, other than that's its really pretty easy.  

I've owned a few Buckmarks over the years, and really like the layout of the gun...but never liked them as much as my Rugers.  I currently have four Ruger semi .22s, a 4" tapered Standard from the '60s, a 5.5" tapered & 5.5" bull MKII, and a 5.5" bull 22/45.  Never been much of a MKIII fan, simply because I do not like the magazine disconnect safety.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:39:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Had both, sold the Buckmark, still have the Ruger (actually now I have two rugers)

The Mk3 issues are pretty easy to fix by removing the mag safety and the stupid loaded chamber indicator. If you can strip a 1911, you can make these changes to a Ruger.

The Buckmark, to completely disassemble it, you need to break out some hex keys to remove the top of the slide...and the barrel is held on by one hex bolt IIRC. That doesn't scream "made for accuracy" to me. Mine was reliable enough, and I will admit it was plenty ergonomic, but it's disassembly was just too...annoying, and like I said, the fact you needed to unscrew some bolts just to get at it to clean all the nooks and crannies...no thanks.

The Rugers I have are both 22/45 models, and are also plenty ergonomic. Mag release is in the right place, the thumb safety operates like a thumb safety should, etc.

Edited to add - the main downsides to the Ruger vs the Buckmark are that in order to put a can on a Ruger...you either need to buy one with a threaded barrel, send it off to be threaded (won't work if you have a slab sided barrel like one of mine is), OR buy a serialized upper (read: another pistol as far as the gov't is concerned), fill out a 4473, and use that new upper....whereas with the Buckmark, you can order a new barrel from TacSol and call it a day, no paperwork or FFL required. Removing the magazine safety on the Buckmark is admittedly a lot easier than it is on the Ruger, and you don't need to order extra parts to make it work in that case...you do with the Ruger.
View Quote

OMG, you need to remove a screw to clean your Buckmark? That's terrible! I need to remove a screw to change oil on my truck too, what a pita! And the Buckmark needs cleaning like every 10,000 rounds, that's just crazy!

Sorry dude, Ruger MKs suck compared to Buckmarks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 12:01:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The correct answer is a Ruger MK II not the MKIII or Buckmark.
View Quote

You are correct, sir.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 12:15:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Get the Ruger Target Hunter and call it a day.

I've owned both MK's and Buckmarks...still own the Ruger's.  The too difficult to field strip issue is overplayed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 12:18:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OMG, you need to remove a screw to clean your Buckmark? That's terrible! I need to remove a screw to change oil on my truck too, what a pita! And the Buckmark needs cleaning like every 10,000 rounds, that's just crazy!

Sorry dude, Ruger MKs suck compared to Buckmarks.
View Quote

A car is not a firearm.

If your firearm needs a toolkit to disassemble it, the firearm was designed badly. How many other firearms out there need a screwdriver or hex key to disassemble? Not an AR, not an AK, not Steyr AUGs, not Makarovs, not 1911s, not Glocks, not BHPs...I could go on and wind up naming probably %99 of the firearms in the world. But somehow needing a hex key, and having a barrel being held on by one bolt with a single attachment point, is "better" than the practically monolithic barreled action of a Ruger?

Alrighty then...and when that steel screw strips out the aluminum frame? Yeah, that's a design winner, right there! I can tell years of engineering and design went into that idea!

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 12:52:44 AM EDT
[#20]
My mom bought this new, and it is awesome... Eats everything we can throw at it.

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:31:25 AM EDT
[#21]
i voted mkiii, but what you really want is the MKII
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:46:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I got this for my stepdaughter.  Installing the grips was a pretty big PITA.  The trigger is horrible.  I'd buy a Buckmark if I were to buy again.

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:49:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Try both
And the Ruger isn't that hard to strip for cleaning
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:58:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I got this for my stepdaughter.  Installing the grips was a pretty big PITA.  The trigger is horrible.  I'd buy a Buckmark if I were to buy again.

<a href="http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/bafordman/media/rugeraimpoint1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l506/bafordman/rugeraimpoint1.jpg</a>
View Quote

MKIII hunter owner here...

Not sure how Ruger can end up putting such awful triggers in their otherwise well built guns...its almost like the trigger is an afterthought for them
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 2:26:59 AM EDT
[#25]
The Ruger is far superior in my opinion, I have had a few of both and the Ruger is far more robust than the Browning in it's design, has great accuracy and won't throw powder in your face like the Buckmark design will.

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 2:59:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I have both.

For your only one? Buckmark.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 3:15:35 AM EDT
[#27]
I've got two Ruger MKII pistols and a Buckmark.

I used to use the Rugers for rabbit hunting in South Dakota in the late 80's early 90's.  I could take a limit of rabbits shooting them on the run.  Accurate and fun.  Never had an issue with them functioning.  To the person that says they won't function in the cold?  I've hunted with them in -20 degree weather in the winter and never had an issue.

Bitch to strip.  Magazine release sucks. Barreled receiver is the serial numbered part which makes barrel changes an issue.

Buckmark, Mags are expensive.  Magazine release is located properly. Field stripping is no problem. Scope mounting is simple. Barrel can be changed out easily.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 3:16:17 AM EDT
[#28]
As the owner of three Mark 2's, I voted Buckmark. The Mark 3's "improvements" / changes are like putting a screen door on a submarine. The field strip / assembly gripe is way overblown.

The Buckmark is a fine weapon, the Mark 3 has proven to be much more problematic than the previous & proven Mark 2. Many people wind up modifying or working on them to suit their needs or to just run properly. Sometimes Ruger hits the ball out of the park, they shit their pants on this one.

There will now be numerous Mark 3 owners chime in how great theirs is, but unless you have 30 years experience with these guns you have no comparison. Mark 2's consistently sell used for as much and more than Mark 3's.

BTW Academy has Buckmarks for $329 blue & $349 stainless, but they only come with 1 mag.

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 3:29:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
unless you have 30 years experience with these guns you have no comparison...
View Quote

i have 55 years experience with those guns so your opinion is invalid.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 3:40:15 AM EDT
[#30]
For me, it's a Chevy vs Ford kinda thing. They both have their highs & lows.

But, FWIW, I voted Ruger for the plethora of aftermarket tinkering kit that's available if that is your thing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 3:45:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a buckmark.  It is so accurate I have never considered anything else.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 4:10:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm shocked at the poll results. I have owned a MkII and Buckmark. The Buckmark has much better ergos and was WAY more reliable with any ammo. It's also easier to clean and needs cleaning less often, and has a better stock trigger. And it has a nicely machined frame, rather than a stamped piece of sheet metal. It's like comparing a Kia to a BMW, but at the same price.
View Quote

Troll harder
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 4:17:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
As the owner of three Mark 2's, I voted Buckmark. The Mark 3's "improvements" / changes are like putting a screen door on a submarine. The field strip / assembly gripe is way overblown.

The Buckmark is a fine weapon, the Mark 3 has proven to be much more problematic than the previous & proven Mark 2. Many people wind up modifying or working on them to suit their needs or to just run properly. Sometimes Ruger hits the ball out of the park, they shit their pants on this one.

There will now be numerous Mark 3 owners chime in how great theirs is, but unless you have 30 years experience with these guns you have no comparison. Mark 2's consistently sell used for as much and more than Mark 3's.

BTW Academy has Buckmarks for $329 blue & $349 stainless, but they only come with 1 mag.

View Quote

MKIII owner here (gubmint model and the one shown below)...I have the hunter and compared to the MKIIs I own it is a severe disappointment.  

The one shown below I bought off GB a few years ago in unfired condition..it went for as much as a new one.

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 4:20:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

....I used to use the Rugers for rabbit hunting in South Dakota in the late 80's early 90's.  I could take a limit of rabbits shooting them on the run.  Accurate and fun.  Never had an issue with them functioning.  To the person that says they won't function in the cold?  I've hunted with them in -20 degree weather in the winter and never had an issue....

View Quote

I'll bet poster Mak had an older MKI or MKII.  My older ones also run OK in the cold but I have not tested them quite that cold.     My guess is that the guys having trouble with them running in the cold have MKIII's with the loaded chamber indicator.  The LCI grabs the case rim on the left and the extractor grabs it on the right.  They kind of have a tug of war over the brass when it's on its way out of the chamber and sideways stove pipes and fails to feed can result.  My MKIII 22/45 did that malfunction about once every mag, getting rid of the LCI stopped that from ever happening again.  Some guns have extreme trouble with this, others don't.  

Another poster said that the MKII's can bring as much $$$ as a new MKIII and he is correct.  Ruger was at the top of their 22 pistol game with the MKII.  You can make the MKIII just as good, just get rid of the LCI and put a hammer bushing in it.  Tandemkross is one outfit that sells the stuff that will "fix" your MKIII.  Cheers and happy shooting.

ETA:  When you disable the mag disco on the MKIII the mags will drop free when you push the button.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 4:46:06 AM EDT
[#35]
The ruger us much more robust.  That plus having to take the rear sight off to disassemble the buckmark is a terrible design.  My top cover would always loosen even if I used blue loctite if I ever shot more than a few mags.  This can have a slight effect on your zero especially if you use an optic.

Both mine (don't own the buckmark anymore) were equally reliable, accurate, and the triggers were similar.  I was using a tacsol barrel on the buckmark and I use a tacsol upper on the ruger as threaded models were not out when I bought mine.  The tacsol upper for the ruger fit a little loose but I made a shim with a piece of aluminum from a soda can and it fits tight.  I also have a bushing that allowed removal of the mag disconnect saftey which makes disassembly easier.  The tacsol upper has no loaded chamber indicator.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 4:52:14 AM EDT
[#36]
I bought this Mark III w/ threaded barrel a few months ago. I've put about 400 rounds through it without a single malfunction. It even feeds crappy Remington Bulk Pack ammo.

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 4:54:57 AM EDT
[#37]
22/45 Lite, with a SS Sparrow.

ETA: Forgot picture.

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 4:56:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Buckmark.  But both are excellent.

Eta- what's with the rip fiver option?  Something happen?
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 4:58:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, Fiver is fine. Just a parody thread started last night.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:00:20 AM EDT
[#40]
That's a tough one OP.

I have shot both and like them both.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:04:34 AM EDT
[#41]
I love my Buckmark and it's gold trigger. gold!
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:07:24 AM EDT
[#42]
I handled both, went with Browning.
Charles
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:08:04 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh good.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:15:28 AM EDT
[#44]
I wish Ruger still made a 10" version.  For iron sight competition, I suspect it would dominate anything else out there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:21:03 AM EDT
[#45]
I bought the Buckmark years ago because it seemed like more gun for the money.
I prefer the Browning trigger, as well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:21:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I do like the look and feel of the Buckmark.
View Quote

This is your answer............... Buckmark FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Buckmark.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:31:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came here to post this. Buckmark ftw.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:35:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Of your choices, the Buckmark.

If you have a CZ-75, get the Kadet conversion kit instead.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:39:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top