Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/5/2021 7:35:12 AM EDT
Watched a show on Amazon called Jasper Mall. Does anyone else find these old malls interesting? Guess it reminds me of my youth when going to the mall was the thing to do.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#1]
http://deadmalls.com/

If you grew up in the 70s or 80s, the place you hung out with your friends is probably in there.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I was just in a rundown mall I grew up in. It was like a dystopian time warp. Absolutely fascinating experience.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:06:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Used to be you knew when the new Oldsmobiles were in early for the year.  Not so much anymore.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife and I watched that one night. It was interesting, and oddly poignant.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#5]
The website above is pretty outdated and hasn't been updated in forever. At least locally it's pretty obsolete. It seems to have stopped sometime around 2006 or 2007 or so.

Landmark Mall is completely unoccupied and has gone through several different plans. It's still standing but designed to be a mixed-use center built around a hospital now. Strange.

The Springfield Mall was alive when that site was active, went through a very dead phase where it was mostly drywall, was bulldozed and gutted, and finally reopened as a new fancy mall with outdoor-facing restaurants. The time from death to rebirth was about five years - 2009 to 2014. I don't live or work near there any more so I don't know how it was affected by the pandemic, but it was routinely difficult to get a table even during the week at almost any of the restaurants. Extremely busy.

The Manassas Mall was only slightly damaged by the pandemic. It may have been dead or dying back in 2005, but it's reasonably alive now with the exception of the former Sears. Still pretty popular.

I myself have a particular fascination with such malls and would love nothing more than to go back in time and walk around the things that were.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#6]
The Last Blockbuster…
Another good doc if you’re going down memory lane.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:27:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Last Blockbuster…
View Quote

Watched that as well. Crazy how a company like Blockbuster is absolutely thriving then one day.....gone.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Since OP is in my general area now he should go check out Military Circle mall, or what is left of it.

MacArthur Mall used to be one of the area’s shining jewels but it’s now going the same direction that Military Circle is. Once the sports Jersey and hat stores start popping up you know a mall is on it’s down slide.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I started watching...then realized it was a metaphor for this country....depressed, so I stopped watching..
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Since OP is in my general area now he should go check out Military Circle mall, or what is left of it.

MacArthur Mall used to be one of the area’s shining jewels but it’s now going the same direction that Military Circle is. Once the sports Jersey and hat stores start popping up you know a mall is on it’s down slide.
View Quote

I think I will. I’m assuming I need to go in the daytime?
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think I will. I’m assuming I need to go in the daytime?
View Quote

That would be the safe option, before noon to be honest, before the locals wake up.

MacArthur had a shooting in it last year and several “youth” fights.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I forgot to add that I went to the Jasper Mall a few weeks ago when I was in the area. Fascinating and depressing at the same time. You can almost imagine what it was in the 80s. Now, it looks like a Call of Duty scene
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I think I went to the Hays mall in 2013 or 2014. If it wasn't Hays, it was another KC area dead mall. The only major store was Macy's. You could enter the rest of the mall which was entirely empty except for a GNC all the way on the other end. It was a bit weird to walk through such a dead place that you knew was once full of stores and people.

My hometown mall was partially demolished. They left the center area, Target, and the movie theater alone. The two wings were evened and outdoor shopping was constructed to replace it. The back part of the center section is a Cabelas.

I'll add that when you also see the cheesey sword and knife shop also pop up, that mall is on its death spiral.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That would be the safe option, before noon to be honest, before the locals wake up.

MacArthur had a shooting in it last year and several “youth” fights.
View Quote

Used to have dinner at Kinkaids in MacArthur with my wife a few times a month back in the day. You needed to call about a week in advance to get a table. When I retired in '15 we wouldn't get near that mall after dark.

Military Circle was a no-go zone.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Town east and west malls in Wichita are still packed.

Malls in KC are another story.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Town east and west malls in Wichita are still packed.

Malls in KC are another story.
View Quote

I remember going to the Bannister Mall as a kid.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Wonder if malls went tits up in other countries also, or if its just a US thing. Last time I was in the UK and NI a couple of years ago, I happened to be in hotels near malls and they were doing great...
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wonder if malls went tits up in other countries also, or if its just a US thing. Last time I was in the UK and NI a couple of years ago, I happened to be in hotels near malls and they were doing great...
View Quote

Malls in Dubai are doing great
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

THAT brings back some memories of the 70s nd 80s.

Chic-Fil-A, Spencers, etc..

I wonder how Greenbriar mall is
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://deadmalls.com/

If you grew up in the 70s or 80s, the place you hung out with your friends is probably in there.
View Quote

And 90’s
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lynn haven is decent still. Just go in the day, which is good advice for any mall these days
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Mall in the town where I grew up just finished up demolition last week. Building an Amazon wharehouse on the land.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Greenbriar, Lynnhaven, and Pembroke aren’t as busy as they used to be but they are still good malls.

Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mall in the town where I grew up just finished up demolition last week. Building an Amazon wharehouse on the land.
View Quote

There’s a metaphor for ya
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I started watching...then realized it was a metaphor for this country....depressed, so I stopped watching..
View Quote

The great metaphor is how the narrative is always that malls failed because of economic conditions or Amazon or some inane bullshit. They'll never speak of how thriving American malls became a place where certain people dropped off their kids all day.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Providence Place mall is still good for you Yankees
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#27]
How technology killed the mall. Literally.
Chopping Mall (Killbots) (1986) - Trailer HD 1080p
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think I went to the Hays mall in 2013 or 2014. If it wasn't Hays, it was another KC area dead mall. The only major store was Macy's. You could enter the rest of the mall which was entirely empty except for a GNC all the way on the other end. It was a bit weird to walk through such a dead place that you knew was once full of stores and people.

My hometown mall was partially demolished. They left the center area, Target, and the movie theater alone. The two wings were evened and outdoor shopping was constructed to replace it. The back part of the center section is a Cabelas.

I'll add that when you also see the cheesey sword and knife shop also pop up, that mall is on its death spiral.
View Quote

CBD store also equals terminal mall.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let’s have an honest moment.  The thing that kills malls are blacks turning the mall into feral battlegrounds where shoppers no longer feel safe because of shootings and group assaults.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#30]
It is funny how things change. I remember as a child and teenager I loved going to the mall. Now I fucking hate it. I usually get drug there a time or two a year at Christmas time or whatever.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Our mall here seems to be doing ok, but it is slowly dieing. More and more of the major stores that were there are moving out. Not like a mass exodus but like one a year or something.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Watched that as well. Crazy how a company like Blockbuster is absolutely thriving then one day.....gone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Last Blockbuster…

And almost everyone thinks they know why they failed...and they are pretty much all wrong:

https://thegreatfail.com/episode/the-blockbuster-bust-2/
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Providence Place mall is still good for you Yankees
View Quote

But Lincoln Mall is the queen of dead malls.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Watched a show on Amazon called Jasper Mall. Does anyone else find these old malls interesting? Guess it reminds me of my youth when going to the mall was the thing to do.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404323/C63B6823-2E8E-47E3-A651-A9B3BD1943B9_jpe-2002330.JPG
View Quote

I thought the story was interesting. It brought back a lot of memories.

The people still trying to operate that mall, along with the seniors who go there every day to socialize, reminded me somehow of parasites still doodling around on a corpse, because they don't realize it's dead.

Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#35]
I've not seen this documentary, but I'm  guessing it is about the mall in Jasper, Al.  

Over the years, I've seldom got up that way. Like twice in twenty years. Wife and i through on a trip to hike the Sipsey about ten years ago. The JC Penney was still open and she needed some socks, so she went in.

The last time we'd been through Jasper was about a decade earlier. I noticed that the whole town was shockingly run down, not just the mall. Not just Jasper, but most of the smaller towns  up that way in NW AL. Just a decade earlier there was a lot of manufacturing and mining. Now, if a business does not relate to ag, Walmart, fast food or some niche retail, it was shuttered.

Twenty years ago, Jasper was a jumping place. It us a shadow now. I will check this documentary out, OP.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#36]
They have a story about Crossroads mall from 2008.  Crossroads went so urban it is now named Plaza Mayor.  Best story about Crossroads was a deputy getting a 50+ yard one shot stop on a thug during a gunfight.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

And almost everyone thinks they know why they failed...and they are pretty much all wrong:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Last Blockbuster…

I haven't listened to the podcast, but I did read this:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/gregsatell/2014/09/05/a-look-back-at-why-blockbuster-really-failed-and-why-it-didnt-have-to/?sh=55a461e51d64

It still boils down to the same thing: Blockbuster senior management did not believe the threat from Netflix's business model was real.  By the time they did realize it, and the CEO tried to adjust, it would cost $400M to adjust and the Board and other senior mgmt STILL fought to do things the old way.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Metcalf South had a Sears.  When it was demo'd, they left the Sears as a stand alone building which operated for a few years.  It is now vacant.    One of the YouTube explorers got in there the day they were starting to do the demo work.    

Also The Great Mall had a Burlington Coat Factory that was left as a stand alone when it was dozer'd.   It has done fairly well despite the local area around it has largely gone way of the dodo.  I think of the dozen food joints, maybe 2 are left, and a few have changed to something else.   That mall was doomed from the start.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Let’s have an honest moment.  The thing that kills malls are blacks turning the mall into feral battlegrounds where shoppers no longer feel safe because of shootings and group assaults.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As mentioned above about how you can see when a mall is in the death spiral, as soon as a bus stop is put there, the mall is done. Mass transit makes it easier for those types of people to get there.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Last Blockbuster…

Blockbuster failed due to a failure to adapt,  which can be boiled down to "bad management" at the simplest level.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#41]
We've had two in our town. First one is gone and a Home Depot is there now. And the second one opened and closed inside of 10 or 12 years.
Oddly enough,  the book linked above has our first mall in it.
Edit for spelling
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#42]
I lived on the west side of Indianapolis for a while growing up. The local mall was Lafayette Square. It was really nice for quite some time, then gradually became known as Lafayette Scare.
It got to be the vibrant hangout. That became its death blow.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#43]
I remember when malls were big. I lived near St Louis at the time, went to many of them. StL has a long list of closed malls (deadmalls.com) has a nice long list of them. They started having problems as far back as the 80s. Same story at each one. Ghetto started showing up and suburbanites decided to go elsewhere. They fought tooth and nail to keep mass transit away but eventually mass transit made it in. That was the death knell for many.
Anyway I got out of that hell hole and found my way south. We had one mall here in Bradenton and it just closed. Thankfully not due to crime but simply the fact that nobody goes to the malls anymore.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Lynn haven is decent still. Just go in the day, before lunchtime, which is good advice for any mall these days
View Quote

FIFY.

I always thought old malls would make for great indoor ranges.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I haven't listened to the podcast, but I did read this:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/gregsatell/2014/09/05/a-look-back-at-why-blockbuster-really-failed-and-why-it-didnt-have-to/?sh=55a461e51d64

It still boils down to the same thing: Blockbuster senior management did not believe the threat from Netflix's business model was real.  By the time they did realize it, and the CEO tried to adjust, it would cost $400M to adjust and the Board and other senior mgmt STILL fought to do things the old way.
View Quote

Message in the podcast --  

Blockbuster had an innovative CEO who embraced online rentals very early and had the brick and mortar advantage over Netflix before Netflix really got going.  You could rent online and return the disc in the mail or to the store...and do the same for store rentals. Best of both worlds - mail for convenience but also stores for instant gratification.   And he got rid of the hated late fees.  The CEO also made deals with the movie studios to essentially get as many copies of each movie as they wanted/needed so they could guarantee movies in stock.  And he did this by cutting the studios in from the start, rather than fronting the retail cost for tapes/discs and having to rent each one 10-30 times just to break even.  The CEO had some other pretty innovative things going, but then the primary investor fucked him out of his bonus and he walked.  The new guy smoked a many of these initiatives, doubled down on store rentals, and brought back the hated late fees.

It was far more complex than they didn't see Netflix coming.  There is literally one guy that can be assigned the blame.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Last Blockbuster…

We always got a kick out of boating in the Intracoastal and going by Wayne Huizenga's house. He had a huge flag pole on his dock with a Blockbuster flag swinging on it
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#48]
We used to have two here. Everyone left the mall part, but the Sears and JCP stayed in business, you could still walk through, but it was very strange. I used to shop there when I was a kid. Had to be the worst security guy job ever.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Check out the mall in Akron Ohio.  Use to be one of the best in the country.  Out in the suburbs.

Then the dipshits in government decided it was racist to deny the mall to the diverse inner city demographics.

They started running buses from the city to the mall.

It didn't take long for crime to increase and for the mall to deteriorate.  Completely shut down now and has been for a long time.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top