Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/19/2021 10:33:52 AM EDT
Just found out this morning a solar farm company is doing regulatory across the street from me.  I live in a very quiet rural spot in Western PA.  We're finding out that the farmer who owns all of the fields around us has agreed to lease all of them for solar panels.

I know this isn't just happening here.  Is this the beginning of Bidens EV power infrastructure?  Transform our beautiful rural areas into fucking solar farms for their faggot electric cars?  

killdozer.gif
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#1]
This is the new normal. Have you seen The Hunger Games? Outlining areas used to support the progress of the capital.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#2]
As much as I hate to say it, you can’t blame this one on Biden.

We had one built in our area last year. Same situation as you describe.

Edit: and I agree op, they put a nasty scar on the landscape.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#3]
pics of dozer?
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just found out this morning a solar farm company is doing regulatory across the street from me.  I live in a very quiet rural spot in Western PA.  We're finding out that the farmer who owns all of the fields around us has agreed to lease all of them for solar panels.

I know this isn't just happening here.  Is this the beginning of Bidens EV power infrastructure?  Transform our beautiful rural areas into fucking solar farms for their faggot electric cars?  

killdozer.gif
View Quote

Those glass panels break easily.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is the new normal. Have you seen The Hunger Games? Outlining areas used to support the progress of the capital.
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I know a guy with one on the south face of a hill behind his house and I asked if it was bothersome. He said not at all and it's one hell of a lot better than looking at houses for transplants that would have gone there by now.....You might want to count your blessings.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#7]
They approached a buddy of mine who owns 3,500 acres of tillable land.  All row crops.

He showed me the contract before they read it.  They retain complete control over access to the property, the lease rate per acre was low compared to the historical crop yields, it was a 20 year lease.

They didn't sign it.

OP, I have to assume the land isn't good for row crops or the land is owned by multiple owners.  With commodity prices what they are, they'd have to be foolish to sign a long term lease for solar.  When multiple owners are involved, usually family, the guaranteed income argument can be louder than unknown farming lease rates or projected crop yields.

The land in my area is as fertile as it gets.  No farmers around here are going to install solar farms unless the property is crap.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#8]
AOC thanks you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#9]
they are going up a few miles from my parents house, we have been hearing they were buying up land @ 10x its value per acre. there is a 2 mile stretch of fields, and all the houses that are scattered along the road have signs up "say no to wind farms" but joe farmer was just offered 3 million for his 100 acres so he is cashing out and moving to florida

eta: these were for wind farms here, not solar, my bad
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I probably saw a dozen or more solar farms driving from the west metro to the SD border, some beautiful wind farms too.
How will this effect Agricultural production in the future, will we build them to the point of starvation?
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#11]
One solar farm went in nearby last year and another is coming locally this year.  They're going in on farm land, which surprises me because it ain't cheap, even if they're using farm land of lesser quality.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They approached a buddy of mine who owns 3,500 acres of tillable land.  All row crops.

He showed me the contract before they read it.  They retain complete control over access to the property, the lease rate per acre was low compared to the historical crop yields, it was a 20 year lease.

They didn't sign it.

OP, I have to assume the land isn't good for row crops or the land is owned by multiple owners.  With commodity prices what they are, they'd have to be foolish to sign a long term lease for solar.  When multiple owners are involved, usually family, the guaranteed income argument can be louder than unknown farming lease rates or projected crop yields.  

The land in my area is as fertile as it gets.  No farmers around here are going to install solar farms unless the property is crap.
View Quote

From my understanding the farmer who was leasing the land was paying under $100 an acre.  I believe the solar farm is paying $600 per acre.

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#13]
They have put 3 big ones near me back in the woods, funny how they clear cut for them but anybody wants to build anything else and the enviro-wackos come out of the woodwork to protest about clear cutting up here
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Spoken like a true Luddite.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#15]
So the farmer will make money off his fields and can sleep in late?

Sounds like win.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#16]
As a 30 + year retired Nuke I'll just say solar is a joke.

How much Solar Power is available?

The Solar Constant is the amount of solar energy that has radiated from the Sun and is available in space at the Earth's distance from the Sun,
before it gets into the Earth's atmosphere.

That amount is 1,353 Watts/sq. meter or 429.7 Btu/sq. ft./hour, which is called the Solar Constant.
This is the maximum available energy available from the sun near earth.

From here it only gets worse.

The atmosphere absorbs about 20% of that total and another almost 50% gets reflected back into space by clouds leaving us with about 130 BTU/sqft/hour or about 400 Watts/sq. meter.

Oh Yea - Almost forgot to mention that is only ~ 12 hours per day in good weather at the equator.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

From my understanding the farmer who was leasing the land was paying under $100 an acre.  I believe the solar farm is paying $600 per acre.

View Quote

I’d be all over $600.  Did you get a phone number?
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#18]
No fan of solar farms, but cant blame the landowner.  Around here I have heard of some leases that were better than the crop yield.  If the people of brazil were putting up solar farms in the rain forest the liberals here would loose their minds, but they will potentially contaminate US farm land with ewaste for inefficient energy.  I remember back when ethanol was going to save the world from high gas prices, and everyone was saying dont turn your food into fuel.  Yet here we are.  Clown world.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#19]
They are ugly as fuck.

No one wants power plants but they don't mind whoring that shit out to the country.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#20]
They're trying to put some in the township east of me where a bunch of people have no solar farms signs in their yards. In the township where I live, they're getting ready to erect wind turbines. Yea! Progress!
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Up here they are not using farmers fields ,they are clear cutting forest, they hide them well by setting them back aways from the roads
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Come west..... where they can get the land for almost nothing from the federal government on a lease. Use our land to make money.

Look at Ivanpah solar for an idea how some of these fail. 1.5 billion investment, 560 million federal grant, and only 78 years to break even!

Without the federal help, these ventures are a complete loss. What it does do is help drive up electricity costs, as the "percentage of power from renewable energy" is the requirement of some states and power companies. As the percentage goes up, the low cost options are no longer the majority.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Solar panel = hail magnets.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am going to make baseball sized hail... out of baseballs...
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Its not just the rural areas.  

Over the next 20 years, we will see solar mounted on tons of new buildings and parking structures.  Shopping areas with a huge "car port" for a parking lot with solar panels on top.   The local grocery store, which is open 360 days a year, will be supplied with some portion of its daily power consumption via solar.  

Meanwhile, solar costs per watt are dropping, and panel efficiency is increasing, albeit slowly.  

The next step after that will be residential, with many southern facing roofs on homes designed for an array of panels.  

Goal here is not for solar to provide 100% of the commercial or residential needs.  Just some portion of the daily power demands in "no battery" type set ups.  The commercial space or home will run on the grid at night, and the solar array just provides some offset on sunny days.  

Its coming.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

killdozer.gif
View Quote

Who needs food when you got electric cars?
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

killdozer.gif

This. F wind farms too. There is one not too far from my neck of the woods. What a waste of perfectly good farm land. Now they’ll have to mow the area around/under the panels like crazy and drench it with herbicides to keep the weeds under control.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They are ugly as fuck.

No one wants power plants but they don't mind whoring that shit out to the country.
View Quote

Better than a damn wind farm and it keeps the transplants at bay.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know about hail damage, but I saw a field of them all tangled up from high wind or a tornado.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
One solar farm went in nearby last year and another is coming locally this year.  They're going in on farm land, which surprises me because it ain't cheap, even if they're using farm land of lesser quality.
View Quote

Crops and solar panels need the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#31]
I am ok with them in the desert but when they cover up the green earth they are a real problem.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They didn't sign it.

Yeah, under $100/acre lease rate is cheap around here.  I don't know how the lease agreement was set up, but it wouldn't fly in my area.

At market prices + subsidies, corn/soybean/canola yield per acre would be well above the $600/acre lease the solar company offered.

Sorry man.  I think they're ugly as shit too and wouldn't want them nearby.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pays more than farming around here. Several have cut down pine trees to put them in. One down from me and the guy makes bank.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I’d be all over $600.  Did you get a phone number?
View Quote

They have to be a certain distance from an electrical station is my understanding.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I keep seeing people here use that word like it is going to win them an argument or make people feel bad but with no arguments that are based on anything but "it's the future, how could you oppose the future!!!"

Here's the thing, I am a computer programmer, I am far from a luddite. There's very little "green" energy that is either green, or makes a lick of sense for commercial power generation. The only reason wind and solar farms exist is through massive government meddling, if they made sense then they would have happened naturally with a free market.

You can absolutely have valid reasons for opposing technology that are grounded in reality.

Actual green energy like nuclear or natural gas is still the best way to go AND is what ends up generating the power anyway when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#36]
I live in the most rural part of my state. Their are literally 1-2k acres of what was previously grazing or non irrigated farmland that are covered with those fuckers, and thats just in the areas I frequent. It aint my land and if the owners make more money that way, no skin off my ass.

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I live in the most rural part of my state. Their are literally 1-2k acres of what was previously grazing or non irrigated farmland that are covered with those fuckers, and thats just in the areas I frequent. It aint my land and if the owners make more money that way, no skin off my ass.

View Quote

If they are making money off of it, the "skin off your ass" is that you are paying for it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I probably saw a dozen or more solar farms driving from the west metro to the SD border, some beautiful wind farms too.
How will this effect Agricultural production in the future, will we build them to the point of starvation?
View Quote

Not with wind farms at least - the amount of spacing required between them means that you can still use most of the land for crops, though it is somewhat less convenient.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If they are making money off of it, the "skin off your ass" is that you are paying for it.
View Quote

My utility cost hasn't gone up, if anything its down. Either way, its not my land to decide how it gets used.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#40]
I worked on one in the Imperial Valley CA four years ago. This is not a new thing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#41]
We have a few small ones near me covering around 2.5K acres. Now if we can get all the cattle/dairy farmers here to collect the cow farts to power gas turbine gennies at night and we're all set. https://www.vice.com/en/article/vvqz4b/cattle-farmers-are-fighting-climate-change-with-fart-collecting-backpacks-for-cows

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subsidies?
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:12:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My utility cost hasn't gone up, if anything its down. Either way, its not my land to decide how it gets used.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, no, we all pay via tax dollars they aren't going to make it as obvious as direct billing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#44]
What I can't understand is how they are picking the locations for these things. I can't think of a more sunny place than the deserts and we have millions of acres of desert that is pretty much useless for anything else. It can't be farmed, it takes like 500 acres to raise one cow, there is no water so people don't live there. Why are they fucking up perfectly good and productive farm land to build these solar farms when they could build them places where the land has no real value?
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#45]
The solar farm usually needs to be fairly close to a transmission sufficient to handle the output of the farm.    The dollars people are getting these days is not what it once was.   I looked into it a little.   You would have to do serious due diligence on it.
Term of lease
cleanup at end of lease
What are your taxes going to do with a million whatever $ in solar panels fixed to your property?

30K a year in lease money (for 50 acres) would help my "farm" from being the money pit it is as long as the taxes aren't 30k a year
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#46]
It will be all the more easier to shut power off the the cities if need be.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What I can't understand is how they are picking the locations for these things. I can't think of a more sunny place than the deserts and we have millions of acres of desert that is pretty much useless for anything else. It can't be farmed, it takes like 500 acres to raise one cow, there is no water so people don't live there. Why are they fucking up perfectly good and productive farm land to build these solar farms when they could build them places where the land has no real value?
View Quote

Close to existing power substations.   It cost about a million dollars a mile to connect, so they always want to be less than a mile from a substation.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yeah, no, we all pay via tax dollars they aren't going to make it as obvious as direct billing.
View Quote

I'm speaking only to the fact that I can't tell another man what to do with his property.

I have 340 acres and have been approached about doing the same thing. Mine is family land bought between 60 and 115 years ago and I want it to stay the way I got it from them.

I can only control what is mine, either way. If it was wind power which is actually useless, I might have a bigger problem. The solar farms here are run by the same coal and nuclear plant owners that already provided us with power. I doubt they pay any taxes to begin with.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Why the angst??

Private company approaches a private landowner and they put a business deal together that both are amenable to.  Free market capitalism.

Luddites here want to break shit.

Clownshoes.

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Why the angst??

Private company approaches a private landowner and they put a business deal together that both are amenable to.  Free market capitalism.

Luddites here want to break shit.

Clownshoes.

View Quote

There has always been a sizeable percentage of ignorant backwards weirdos on this site. I have no idea where they find some of these people or how they make it through a day.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top