Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Those are 152s for older artillery.

The 100mm is a one piece round.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:18:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It's ogre....two more weeks fellas!

Ukrainians repurpose old equipment: INGENUITY ON THE BATTLEFIELD! BRAVE and STUNNING Ukrainian fighters turn tractor and maxim gun into a FEARSOME  vehicle for the BATTLEFIELD.

Russians repurpose old equipment: OMG LOL WOW THEY ARE SO STOOPID OMG ITS OVER, CANT BELIEVE THEY ARE SO DUMBN!!!!!
View Quote

Russia is a “first rate” power supposedly able to take on the effeminate, Weak, and woke western armies but has to resort to using museum pieces.

Ukraine is the under dog and has a mikitsry budget smaller than many states and even some cities.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By atavistic:
I wouldn't even put in an EE offer.
View Quote

I would
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:22:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

More than likely the 100mm guns.....they still have plenty of that type of ammo
View Quote

Kind of. They have huge amounts on paper of 100mm and 115mm but in reality it is in poor shape.

These are 115mm rounds taken from the east

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:23:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Two more weeks!

Dailymail is so riddled with trackers and what not, I can't even access it.

"Found"... How the hell do you forget where you put 30 tanks, Belgium isn't even a large Country.
View Quote

They were in OIP’s warehouse.

The guy struck a payday on a gamble when he bought those tanks in the 90s for 15k each
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:25:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I told ya'll UKR didn't stand a chance with out NATO direct involvement.

RUS is just gonna keep throwing old shit and bodies into the meat grinder until UKR runs out of people
View Quote

How did that help the tsar in 1917?

People make choices, sometimes hard ones when pushed into things they don’t want to do.

There are only so many tuvans and siberians you can throw into the grinder before they riot (and have).

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:32:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

People make choices, sometimes hard ones when pushed into things they don’t want to do.

There are only so many tuvans and siberians you can throw into the grinder before they riot (and have).

View Quote

There are a lot less Ukrainians

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#8]
meanwhile.....Europe pats themselves on the back for dusting off a mere 30 mothballed Leopard1 tanks for the Ukes
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Any word on those IS-3's the Russians were moving around?

We're getting close to 100 year old WW2 tech here...
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:53:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Kind of. They have huge amounts on paper of 100mm and 115mm but in reality it is in poor shape.

https://i.postimg.cc/KYj6fsCx/IMG-3963.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/qv1f8db1/IMG-3964.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/0ykRMNf6/IMG-3965.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/02d1ySpR/IMG-3966.jpg

View Quote

Were those rejects they picked out or did those entire shipments look like that though?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There are a lot less Ukrainians

View Quote

Ignoring the point.

The tsar thought he could throw endless waves of people at the Germans.

The people were tired of the war and His government collapsed.

People who use the ww2 example habe to realize they had Ukraine and 8-9 other now independent nations to also forcibly drag people from.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:00:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Were those rejects they picked out or did those entire shipments look like that though?
View Quote

That’s indicative of the state of Russian ammunition storage.

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:02:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Ahh yes, our self appointed expert on Russia and all of its affairs.

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:06:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't think anyone thinks Russia will fold any day.

But using T-55s & 54s isn't what I would consider a measure of success.
View Quote
Um...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2022/09/19/slovenia-is-giving-ukraine-some-very-old-tanks-but-age-can-be-deceiving/?sh=233f34f37b3f

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That’s indicative of the state of Russian ammunition storage.

View Quote

It looks like ass but does it go boom?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:12:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Serious question on the T62.  Why would they place a smoothbore gun on it when it was being rolled out in the 1960’s?

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:16:35 AM EDT
[#17]
An old tank is still a tank, with a big-ass gun that will still blow stuff up quite nicely.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Ukraine isn’t an alleged world power that can take on nato and the west.

Russia is.

Ukraine is the underdog. Please compare the m55s to the t55s Russia is sending. There’s a big difference
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:18:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It looks like ass but does it go boom?
View Quote

I don’t know. Probably, but old ammunition and even older guns can cause problems. Just like the Turkish and Pakistani ammo from surplus stocks
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:22:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ukraine isn't an alleged world power that can take on nato and the west.

Russia is.

Ukraine is the underdog. Please compare the m55s to the t55s Russia is sending. There's a big difference
View Quote
Damn you're just like an Amway salesman.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:42:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wonder if the T-55s are still the old 100mm gun or did they up them to 120mms?  Doesn't matter if they have a better gun, I'd imagine they still have shit fire control and would be outgunned at range by western tanks/drones.

Does the modern Russian army use tanks as smash and penetrate in homogenous corps (Soviet era doctrine), or do they use them as infantry support in mixed units?  Think the T55 would be decent in the latter role, provided the infantry can keep ATGMs off them.  The tank in your pocket is better than the artillery you left at home, lol.  I can't see the Russians coordinating that well though.
View Quote

These are being used as self propelled artillery and direct fire guns.

They are not being used as Blitzkrieg World of Tanks "Mobile Combined Arms Warfare".

Pretty much everything out there is lethal to a T-72/80/90 so what difference does it make? A T-54/55/62 is still immune to small arms, shrapnel, areal bursts and smaller mines.

What all of these tanks need is quality terminals for the gunner and commander.... And they basically all lack that.

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:44:20 AM EDT
[#22]
If they just put new parts on them, then damn it would suck to be a Russian tanker, but if they modernize them, then I guess they could be formidable.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:47:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How the mighty fall.  The soviet union was a military super power that devoted 50% of its gdp to arms manufacturing.  Practically giving arms away to its allies.  Now the russians are reduced to begging ammo from tiny little north korea and drones from iran.  Now they are scraping the barrel for obsolete tanks.
View Quote

Russia likes to think it was the "Soviet Union" but it wasn't.

Ukraine was a significant industrial and design backbone for the Union and nations like Poland and East German provided invaluable professionals and resources.

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:50:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ukrainians repurpose old equipment: INGENUITY ON THE BATTLEFIELD! BRAVE and STUNNING Ukrainian fighters turn tractor and maxim gun into a FEARSOME  vehicle for the BATTLEFIELD.

Russians repurpose old equipment: OMG LOL WOW THEY ARE SO STOOPID OMG ITS OVER, CANT BELIEVE THEY ARE SO DUMBN!!!!!
View Quote

Exactly.

Meanwhile none of us bat an eye at A-10s, B52s, C130s, M113s and a plethora of other things that date back 50 years in US Inventory.

I am surprised no one is giving Ukraine M60 tanks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:55:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Serious question on the T62.  Why would they place a smoothbore gun on it when it was being rolled out in the 1960’s?

View Quote

It was the first operational tank with a smoothbore gun and that was a huge step forward at the time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:59:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
GET RID OF THE A-10, IT CAN'T KILL MODERN TANKS!!!!!!!

But it can kill the old shit it was originally supposed to kill, so it's a win!

If A-10s ever need to go against Russia, of course.
View Quote

They have Soviet A10's the Su-25 which on paper is equivalent and is a very rugged and proven design.

Even has a 30mm cannon.

They are getting ripped out of the sky by SAMS and MANPADS.

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 1:03:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m spitting more hot facts than a trump Twitter rant
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 1:03:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Exactly.

Meanwhile none of us bat an eye at A-10s, B52s, C130s, M113s and a plethora of other things that date back 50 years in US Inventory.

View Quote

Umm m60s are going
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 1:14:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Please don’t send them all, I want to buy one someday
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 1:33:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/KYj6fsCx/IMG-3963.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/qv1f8db1/IMG-3964.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/0ykRMNf6/IMG-3965.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/02d1ySpR/IMG-3966.jpg

View Quote

Yecch, what a nightmare. If I was given the choice of using that or becoming a suicide bomber I think I would take the bomb vest.

But in this context the bomb vest would probably be made of dynamite from 1912 where the Nitroglycerin had sweated out looooooong ago.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 1:51:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If NATO got directly involved the war would be over inside a week and Ukraine would have Crimea back.
View Quote

Except for the nukes of course.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 2:02:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yecch, what a nightmare. If I was given the choice of using that or becoming a suicide bomber I think I would take the bomb vest.

But in this context the bomb vest would probably be made of dynamite from 1912 where the Nitroglycerin had sweated out looooooong ago.
View Quote

The other caveat is Iran and North Korea also likely have huge stores of 100mm and 115mm. I’ll wager Iranian ammunition works pretty good and being stored better too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 2:14:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Before you posted that did you even read what was written?

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 2:38:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Given the state of their conventional forces?

I wonder if NATO did get involved if the US would instantly sink all the Russian Navel assets around the world.

Or would it be localized exclusively to the Ukrainian theater.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RUS is just gonna keep throwing old shit and bodies into the meat grinder until UKR runs out of people

This isnt 1917 and RUS hasn't hit 500,000 in casualties yet. 500,000 lost is their par for the course. Until they double that, no one is gonna care.

We have no business there, heres a few reasons

1. Not a NATO country
2. Biden's involved there with corruption
3. We don't have the money to spend
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If NATO got directly involved the war would be over inside a week and Ukraine would have Crimea back.

Russia isn't nuking anyone over Ukraine. MAD is still a thing and Putin knows it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This isnt 1917 and RUS hasn't hit 500,000 in casualties yet. 500,000 lost is their par for the course. Until they double that, no one is gonna care.

1. Not a NATO country
View Quote

Those are some pissed off minorities of the Russian Federation that don't like the idea of their loved ones being used as cannon fodder in the war.  

It happened in 1917, it can absolutely happen again.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

1. Not a NATO country
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Not a NATO country

The US troops killed by Russians in Vietnam and Korea disagree.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
First confirmed t-55 kill in Ukraine that I've seen was a couple days ago.  

Keep moving backwards and we might be able to use 50bmg as an anti tank weapon again.
View Quote

After they run out of T-34s, or have to use the T-34s with dirty high sulfur steel plates or castings.  
And the the will have to dig out the T -28 tanks they started WW2 with
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
GET RID OF THE A-10, IT CAN'T KILL MODERN TANKS!!!!!!!

But it can kill the old shit it was originally supposed to kill, so it's a win!

If A-10s ever need to go against Russia, of course.
View Quote

They could probably kill anything the Russians have on the field now.   The era the Russian tank is isn’t the big issue
It’s the perceived denial of airspace by Russian SAMs and maybe AAA
The Ukrainians maybe know where some of these SAMs are
I’d bet the USAF and RAF have sniffed out every battery location and when they move them and if the periodically come back to the same positions
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Russia is a “first rate” power supposedly able to take on the effeminate, Weak, and woke western armies but has to resort to using museum pieces.

Ukraine is the under dog and has a mikitsry budget smaller than many states and even some cities.
View Quote

That isn't currently true at all. Ukraine has top tier intelligence provided by NATO countries as well as quite a bit of weaponry. I don't know that anyone thought Russia was top tier equipment-wise. I've seen the welds on their equipment from tanks to apcs and they look like a 4th grader on a farm in the wind did them as a fast fix. That being said, I think they are winning the war of attrition people-wise and Ukraine will eventually run out of people to operate much of anything. I agree Ukraine is the underdog, but as far as their military budget, it has to be the most spent in any calendar year on anyone's miltary if you tally up all they have supposedly been gifted this year.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1303432/total-bilateral-aid-to-ukraine/

That is a decent total of aid sent their way and not too far off from the Russian military budget. That doesn't count the most important aid of all they are getting from the west, which is the intelligence. In this kind of war that seems to be the most important piece. Neither side can move without the other one knowing or having time to react in some way it seems.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Rumors of m60s being refurbished to go to Ukraine.
View Quote

It's happening, we have arfcomers involved in the refurb work and have posted pictures to prove it (though I can't find them at this moment)
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Except he is not wrong. How many article have we read last year that said Russia was out of ammo, out of men and out of time. I remember when there was a article claiming the Wagner PMC was out of ammo so they used shovels.

Garbage journalism ends up making people question things but I guess it is easier just to call everyone a comrade right?

Comrade
https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.1138348860.3150/fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.u1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the brake fluid again comrade?

Just for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAz7Bdqi2iQ

Except he is not wrong. How many article have we read last year that said Russia was out of ammo, out of men and out of time. I remember when there was a article claiming the Wagner PMC was out of ammo so they used shovels.

Garbage journalism ends up making people question things but I guess it is easier just to call everyone a comrade right?

Comrade
https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.1138348860.3150/fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.u1.jpg

The propaganda has been so thick I can’t tell who is serious and who is snarky.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Before the fin-stabilized long rod penetrator came into use sabot rounds were much shorter and less effective, so the future of armor-defeating rounds was thought to be High Explosive Anti-Tank (HEAT, shaped charge), High Explosive, Squash Head (AKA "Plastic"), with plain High Explosive (HE) for anti-personnel and soft skinned vehicles like trucks.  Spin imparted from rifling degrades the performance of all of those, and the T-62 was sorta used in a "tank destoyer" mode when initially fielded by the Soviet Union.  For the Soviet Union, this problem was made worse due to their mass-produced steel gun tubes being of lower quality than those in the west so they ran at slightly lower pressures, rquiring them to use a slightly larger bore to get the performance needed:  Western 90mm verses their 100mm, Western 105mm verses their 115mm.  Also a smoothbore cannon doesn't have the stress risers in it from the rifling edges and is cheaper to manufacture - which makes a big difference when you are cranking out 10,000 anti-tank guns and tank cannons.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Exactly.

View Quote

We dropped many of ours into the ocean as artifical reefs to keep them out of the international arms trade.  Another brilliant idea brought to you by Bill Clinton in between blow jobs.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they and the delivery system actually work.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ukraine isn't an alleged world power that can take on nato and the west.

Russia is.

Ukraine is the underdog. Please compare the m55s to the t55s Russia is sending. There's a big difference

Russia hasn’t been able to take on the West in over 30 years, false statements come easily to scammers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yeah, Russia is out of tanks, they're out of missiles, they're out of artillery, they can't make drones because they can't get components, the sanctions have crippled their economy, most of their army has been killed, Ukraine's Spring offensive is going to take Crimea, and the revolt will depose Putin. Looks like Russia will fold any day now.
View Quote

Can you post Russia’s goals and expectations when they invaded Ukraine in feb 2022 for perspective?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just an observation, but did anyone ever wonder why the armies in the Book of Revelation are on horseback?  Food for thought.
View Quote

I had this conversation with a cute Air Force Chaplain I was dating once.

Because when an unidentified man named "John" wrote the "Book of Revelation" around 70 AD, horses were the most advanced form of mobile warfare.  It would have been more of a Revelation if he had mentioned tanks.  Most Christians at the time didn't think it was gospel nor belonged in the Bible.  It wasn't even added to the Bible until late 4th century and barely made it in.  Food for thought.

But a much better statement than some "Cold War" combat virgin war hawk celebrating all our tax dollars being thrown away.

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Or is that after decades of wars and rumors of wars all the cool mechanized military equipment is used up and couldn't be replaced?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just an observation, but did anyone ever wonder why the armies in the Book of Revelation are on horseback?  Food for thought.

Because the people who wrote the story had no concept mechanized warfare?

Or is that after decades of wars and rumors of wars all the cool mechanized military equipment is used up and couldn't be replaced?

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top