Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Snackbar warning
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I found another view of what appears to be the same strike.

Title says it is BM-30s, and they hit Hama on Oct 11th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk_AdzMZytw

Snackbar warning

The one dude in the background made up for the lack of snackbars in the first.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 1:35:44 AM EDT
[#2]
MLRS - Distance: 42+ KM,   Munitions: 12 rounds in 40 seconds

TOS-1 - Distance: 6KM,   Munitions: 24 or 30 in 15 seconds

It seems we need a little work on developing a better (MLRS has a 2% dud rate) mobile "grid square killer". But we don't need to be anywhere near the enemy to launch what we have, plus we can fire more accurate, longer range missiles from the same launcher.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 1:44:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It seems we need a little work on developing a better (MLRS has a 2% dud rate) mobile "grid square killer". But we don't need to be anywhere near the enemy to launch what we have, plus we can fire more accurate, longer range missiles from the same launcher.
View Quote

Russian launchers are reloaded individually. American launchers load in pods.

We can sustain a much higher rate of fire.

We also use digital fire commands and they use a manual calculator in the launcher. I believe they transmit fire commands via voice FM and load them into a manual panel.

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 1:49:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn, man-- thermobarics, thermal imaging, GPS guidance and crap like this-- it's getting so the battlefield is positively unsafe . . .
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 1:59:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

We also use digital fire commands and they use a manual calculator in the launcher. I believe they transmit fire commands via voice FM and load them into a manual panel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

HIMARS is also being used. I'd just like to see something bigger, more destructive. Artillery (even mobile) is okay, but it's an aged concept. We need something that can fire massive amounts of ordinance while moving at 40 MPH, that would be a game changer. We shouldn't always think we can rely on air power, that's checkers, not chess.

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 2:16:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
HIMARS is also being used. I'd just like to see something bigger, more destructive. Artillery (even mobile) is okay, but it's an aged concept. We need something that can fire massive amounts of ordinance while moving at 40 MPH, that would be a game changer. We shouldn't always think we can rely on air power, that's checkers, not chess.

View Quote

The panel can process FMs while moving, even while in an airplane. The hardest part about shooting is making sure there are no intervening crests.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 3:32:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Wheres the leftwing outrage because they might have hit some Mosque ?
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 5:38:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

MLRS Faimly of Munitions
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Although we still keep submunitions in war stocks, we only use unitary warhead MFOM anymore

"Mother Fucker On the Move"?

MLRS Faimly of Munitions

Ah. So Fucker should be plural, got it!
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 6:44:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm a huge fan of artillery, but I have to agree with Steinhab that you can't coerce a population to cease a fight. You have to beat them on the field.

Which is why we have combined arms maneuver to begin with.
View Quote

populations are easy.

Its the leaders you have to convince.

Spain, 2005.
United States, 2009.
Lockerbe, 1988
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Russia needed a conflict to field test its newer gear in and thumb its nose at the US
Hope Obama is paying attention
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Cameraman's radio transmissions stopped coming in after all that too
View Quote

Did you hear how panicked the ICOM traffic was? You could hear the urgency in the callers voice and the repetitive phrases being shouted, that was maximum stress. The receiver was totally silent as well, nothing but heavy mouth breathing and a complete lack of Snack-Baring.

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:52:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I swear. There isn't one video those fuckers make where someone isn't saying aloha snackbar

That being said, that's a whole lot of hate I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This.

A few times govt leaders had come close to throwing in the towel due solely to bombing campaigns. Meanwhile the people themselves are usually more determined and angry then ever, whether that be Brits. Germany, Japan, Vietnam, or even Iraqis. Considering who runs the various FSA rebel groups, ISIS,  Al Nusra, and how decentralized that all are, they won't be surrendering anytime soon.

Pro Assad forces need to coordinate air attacks and ground assaults, or else is largely a wash. The rebels can suffer the casualties, they have numbers, they'll win a war of attrition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
While it's "glorious" for the jihadi to die in battle, middle class western muslim teens that see this video might think twice before hoping a plane to Turkey to enter Syria.

(And they weren't even hitting ISIS.)

I think that is at least part of the point.  Shock and awe.  If they are going to do this they need to go big from the start to convince a lot of fence-sitters that it just isn't worth it.  Raise the stakes enormously.  That's what is actually needed and the russians certainly aren't worrying about collateral damage.

You are looking at this through American eyes.This will convince more that they need to go fight Russians.

Did TLAMs,JDAMs,Predators,Apaches with Hellfires,DPICM etc etc etc convince jihadis  to stop fighting?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

This.

A few times govt leaders had come close to throwing in the towel due solely to bombing campaigns. Meanwhile the people themselves are usually more determined and angry then ever, whether that be Brits. Germany, Japan, Vietnam, or even Iraqis. Considering who runs the various FSA rebel groups, ISIS,  Al Nusra, and how decentralized that all are, they won't be surrendering anytime soon.

Pro Assad forces need to coordinate air attacks and ground assaults, or else is largely a wash. The rebels can suffer the casualties, they have numbers, they'll win a war of attrition.

Hammering them like this is certainly better than gingerly chipping away at them, afraid that someone might get hurt.   But you're right, none of it means anything unless the infantry rolling right afterward.    The difference here is that this is Assad's home turf.  He isn't adventuring in some foreign country and likely there are a lot of people who support him in the areas he doesn't yet control.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Submunitions from MLRS are brutal.

The newer Russian Smerch 300mm rockets with Western technology are no joke though.

Smerch

http://youtu.be/tvntHazo6hE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
comes in second to MLRS

Submunitions from MLRS are brutal.

The newer Russian Smerch 300mm rockets with Western technology are no joke though.

Smerch

http://youtu.be/tvntHazo6hE

I'm sure some know this, but "Smerch" in Russian means tornado. It comes from the word "Smert", which means death.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

populations are easy.

Spain, 2005.
United States, 2009.
Lockerbe, 1988
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a huge fan of artillery, but I have to agree with Steinhab that you can't coerce a population to cease a fight. You have to beat them on the field.

populations are easy.

Spain, 2005.
United States, 2009.
Lockerbe, 1988

Ironically the time bombing to submission was really tried, the capability to do it did not exist (Nagasaki and Hiroshima excluded of course).  Now that the capability exists we don't do it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ironically the time bombing to submission was really tried, the capability to do it did not exist (Nagasaki and Hiroshima excluded of course).  Now that the capability exists we don't do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

populations are easy.

Spain, 2005.
United States, 2009.
Lockerbe, 1988

as predicted.  strategic bombing was never supposed to be used in war, it was only supposed to deter wars.

there are lots of ironies in airpower.

from the strategic/policy perspective is that strategic bombing was seen by the fascist douhet as a means to deter/coerce democracies.  a dictator doesn't give a shit if his people suffer.  but it was the democracies, who projected their own vulnerabilities onto the enemy, that were most interested in strategic bombings and it was the facists, who projected their own disregard onto their enemies, who focused on traditional means to defeat and used aircraft to support ground offenses.

If Germany had subjected Britain to the same bombings we gave to them, Britain would have surrendered in 1940.  Even Churchill couldn't have held that together.

this same dynamic is seen today by the checkmate faggots gargling warden's cock.  they always devise the perfect targeting plan to defeat the US Air Force and never for a moment pause to realize that our vulnerabilities are not shared by our enemies.  

TL;DR.  People are fucking idiots.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Hammering them like this is certainly better than gingerly chipping away at them, afraid that someone might get hurt.   But you're right, none of it means anything unless the infantry rolling right afterward.    The difference here is that this is Assad's home turf.  He isn't adventuring in some foreign country and likely there are a lot of people who support him in the areas he doesn't yet control.
View Quote

Assad's home turf is Latakia and Tartus governorates. The rest of the country is Sunni dominated and enemy territory. Akin to a Boston Yankee going to Texas. Not welcome at best of times, definitely not welcome now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

True area denial is done with M38, M40, BLU-36/B and BLU-59/B bomblets. They used the M218 and XM224 Random Delay fuzes (i.e. they just randomly exploded for hours after arming). Oh, they came in clusters of 655 to 670 for the BLU-36/B and BLU-59/B and 2020 for the M38/M40. These were the ones that I feared finding as an EOD tech, Gators, RAAMS, ADAMS and the rest of the FASCAM required you to do something to cause them to function, these just randomly exploded without any outside influence.

This website is a fantastic reference of all things Aviation Ordnance.

Back in the 90's I went to Nellis AFB to help sweep the ICM grid at Indian Springs. The Air Force had done a test of dropping CBU's from B-52s, 96 at a time and there were thousands of dud BLU-97 scattered across the lake bed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's how you do area denial...

True area denial is done with M38, M40, BLU-36/B and BLU-59/B bomblets. They used the M218 and XM224 Random Delay fuzes (i.e. they just randomly exploded for hours after arming). Oh, they came in clusters of 655 to 670 for the BLU-36/B and BLU-59/B and 2020 for the M38/M40. These were the ones that I feared finding as an EOD tech, Gators, RAAMS, ADAMS and the rest of the FASCAM required you to do something to cause them to function, these just randomly exploded without any outside influence.

Back in the 90's I went to Nellis AFB to help sweep the ICM grid at Indian Springs. The Air Force had done a test of dropping CBU's from B-52s, 96 at a time and there were thousands of dud BLU-97 scattered across the lake bed.

It moved.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's how you do area denial...

Could those duds have been made so by the blast and fragments of bomblets that exploded milliseconds earlier?
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#20]

"Artillery adds dignity, to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl”

– Frederick the Great, king of Germany, 1740 to 1786

'nuff said...
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I assume because it isn't a nice or kind way to blow people to pieces?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
comes in second to MLRS

12 300mm rockets (BM-30 Smerch)
12 227mm rockets (M270 MLRS)

If the Russians can make em accurate, they could seriously put the hurt on someone. ESPECIALLY when you consider max range is nearly TWICE of ours.

We no longer use unguided rounds or submunitions

I assume because it isn't a nice or kind way to blow people to pieces?

no because the UXOs are found by some kid who then go gets a squad of ssapperss to go clean them up because EOD isn't in theater yet

ask me how I know
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#22]

It's all fun and games until the cluster bombs start raining down.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What are those subs equivalent to, 60mm mortar ?
View Quote

don't know our m-42s were smaller than a grenade but hsd a shapecharge

m42 was an arty fired cluster bomb the airdroped was something else m72or 77 I think
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Smerch BM30 cluster munition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZanxhYx7tsA
View Quote

the car alarm is a nice touch

that is some scary stuff
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

m42 was an arty fired cluster bomb the airdroped was something else m72or 77 I think
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are those subs equivalent to, 60mm mortar ?

M42 is a scored body submission, while the M46 is a non-scored body submission, M77 is used in MLRS rockets and is larger than the M42/46
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

yep he is probably on his way to Germany by now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I was that camera guy i would of been putting as many miles between me and that area as i could get in a right fucking hurry.

That's a lot of fuck you in one area.

yep he is probably on his way to Germany by now.

This... now he and his buddies will become truly dangerous.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wheres the leftwing outrage because they might have hit some Mosque ?
View Quote

You noticed that too?

You notice that there is ZERO complaints of civilian casualties, torn Korans, damaged schools/hospitals by the American media/Hollywood/UN by the Russians military operations? They only complain about the American military which they hate.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I couldn't see the camera guy's facial expression but I don't think he was too happy with what he saw.
View Quote

He was missing out on all the Virgins

Die Vermin, die
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top