BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Very possible.

I gave a tour and static display of an F15 to a bunch of Russian generals after the first gulf war. I talked to the supreme commander of Russian strategic air forces and he confided in me that they were all shocked to see CNN news showing our precision capability in hitting ground targets, specific doors and windows, they had no idea we had that capability and were so far ahead of Russian capability, and they were very glad they never went to war with us in Europe because the US would have slaughtered Soviet forces

Don't know if he was being truthful, but that is what he personally told me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The idea that a Russian flag ship missile cruiser has to send an SOS via Morse code on HF is ridiculous.

I call bull shit, but if true then the Russian military is more of  a joke than I suspected.
I would have thought that all the ground units would have something similar to SINCGARS too but there were fairly credible (I think) audio of russian troops using clear voice radio.  

I think the Russians saw the first gulf war and decided then and there that conventional warfare wasn't worth the rubles.

Very possible.

I gave a tour and static display of an F15 to a bunch of Russian generals after the first gulf war. I talked to the supreme commander of Russian strategic air forces and he confided in me that they were all shocked to see CNN news showing our precision capability in hitting ground targets, specific doors and windows, they had no idea we had that capability and were so far ahead of Russian capability, and they were very glad they never went to war with us in Europe because the US would have slaughtered Soviet forces

Don't know if he was being truthful, but that is what he personally told me.

I think it's amusing that the seemly Russians tried copying our play book from the 2nd Iraq war. With trying shock and awe and to "Thunder Run" to Kyiv. But their capabilities are no where near it.

manI was thinking. If they can't even stop a zero stealth aircraft military like Ukraine from flying and bombing their troops. Imagine how things would be if it was our Aircraft. Also that were the most heavily invested SEAD capabilities of anyone.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:35:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It's a giant piece of shit.  If burns some heavy residual tars left over from the refinery process, it's what we would call Bunker C Oil but way worse.  Its basically toxic sludge left over from one of their refineries.  It is drydock for repairs and I doubt the have they money to get it operational again.

https://thebarentsobserver.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_width/public/kuzze_in_smoke.jpeg?itok=7Y1z-j6T

https://external-preview.redd.it/09Z95r-HOmVI3pcb_5agQQPaNl62WGUA2zSNn3liE4U.png?auto=webp&s=85c13928fd82af3b6b7ed14ec6f7bd5f4f086e18

Russia STRONK. (cough, cough)
View Quote

Damn. Looks like it's on fire rather underway.
Russian Navy recruiting poster "Free cancer with service"
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
UPDATED: Pentagon Says Damaged Russian Navy Cruiser Underway Toward Black Sea Homeport
https://news.usni.org/2022/04/13/russian-navy-confirms-severe-damage-to-black-sea-cruiser-moskva-crew-abandoned-ship
View Quote

Would be awesome if they finished it off while it was being towed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let them get it almost home and hit it again.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
New info is that it has “major” damage and is heading back to port.

Pentagon says it’s under its own power.

Official Russian MOD says it’s being towed.

I guess the Russian mod is more pessimistic? Lol
View Quote

Maybe the Russian MOD is so used to their ships having to be towed they just default to saying that?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Got one!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My thought as well. Plausible deniability. Stop being a dick and firing cruise missiles into schools/hospitals.

Ukrainian army is staging in schools and hospitals though, making them fair targets.

Got one!
What did you get?  Are you denying that the AFU did not stage troops in schools and civilian building?  That they did not place their motorized elements in shopping centers?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My late FIL had a cruiser shot under him at Savo Island. My Dad (RIP) was also a Pacific sailor in WWII, Purple Heart after a Kamikazi attack.

After hearing their stories I joined the Army.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That would be a horrible fucking way to die.
I read too many books on WW2 naval battles growing up, it was a big factor in me choosing to be a Dirt Sailor instead of picking a Fleet going Rate. Getting blown up, burned or drowning (or a combination of the three) inside a ship is a shitty way to go, I'd rather take my chances on land.

My late FIL had a cruiser shot under him at Savo Island. My Dad (RIP) was also a Pacific sailor in WWII, Purple Heart after a Kamikazi attack.

After hearing their stories I joined the Army.

Everyone loves to poke fun at sailors.  But when the shit hits the fan at sea, that is some SERIOUS fucking business!
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Russian Navy flagship just blown out of the water. Magazine detonated
View Quote

I guess that's what brandon meant the other day talking about high capacity magazines.

It was secret code.

Believe it.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

All the rough edges really grabs ones attention.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/383325/image_jpeg-2348765.JPG
View Quote

Some years ago, the Hawthorne Air Show had a MiG-29 parked nose-to-nose with the YF-17 (the prototype of the F-18). I remembering thinking how similar they looked.
An old lady was examining them. She turned away from the MiG and exclaimed, "Ah worked on the B-17, and they'd NEVER allow anythang like that ta pass inspection!" Rough edges, indeed!
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well, in fairness the US Navy just did have one of the most powerful ships on Earth burn to a complete wreck at the pier.
View Quote

Yep. That one hurt. A lot.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
UPDATED: Pentagon Says Damaged Russian Navy Cruiser Underway Toward Black Sea Homeport
https://news.usni.org/2022/04/13/russian-navy-confirms-severe-damage-to-black-sea-cruiser-moskva-crew-abandoned-ship
View Quote

Well, that sucks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Because we are at a point in this conflict that the Russians are throwing in everything including the proverbial kitchen sink.

That... Was a pretty big kitchen sink.
View Quote

And like a kitchen sink... it's full of water!
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Well, that sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, that sucks.

really surprised we don't have any open source sat photos yet of the damage.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Some years ago, the Hawthorne Air Show had a MiG-29 parked nose-to-nose with the YF-17 (the prototype of the F-18). I remembering thinking how similar they looked.
An old lady was examining them. She turned away from the MiG and exclaimed, "Ah worked on the B-17, and they'd NEVER allow anythang like that ta pass inspection!" Rough edges, indeed!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An Su-27 built in a western factory, with western avionics, to western standards with western engines would be a thing of beauty. It would be really fun to see something like that in a fly off with an F-15EX.

But, unless we develop the ability to travel between different timelines or dimensions. I will probably never see it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It could be bad.  The Russians could start indiscriminately shelling cities, killing civilians, and raping the population.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ship was a completely legitimate target
, and reasonable action for Ukraine. But that said I also was concerned about the reaction from Russia when I saw this. I get his point. I'm not even saying they shouldn't have done it, but it might have consequences. That is all I think you can assume from his post.

Then again if they are trying to play it off as an accidental fire and not an attack from missiles maybe they'll shrug it off to avoid the embarrassment of admitting what happened.

Do people here not understand war or something? In war... the assets of the person attacking you are generally legit targets...

Isn't that what I said ? Of course its a legitimate target.

Doesn't mean it won't piss Putin off and bring retaliation though for the hit to his ego and Russian pride.

It could be bad.  The Russians could start indiscriminately shelling cities, killing civilians, and raping the population.

It could still get worse.

They didn't have a choice but to sink it, I think it was the right choice. I'm just saying you don't know how an unstable lunatic like Putin might respond.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#20]

You know that was 60-70 miles off shore, right.  That is over the horizon.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You'll have to let MSN know.
I did attribute it to a shady website.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#22]
With the Bosphorus closed it would seem Russias ability to mount any sort of amphibious operation will be seriously limited and air defense for the rest of their fleet has got to be badly hurt.

I imagine Odessa is breathing a sigh of relief

Also interesting to see successful utilization of coastal defenses
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Looks more like she's burning cheap coal.
View Quote

Cheap coal would be a more efficient cleaner burning fuel than whatever it is they are burning...
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Thanks, I will pull it.  It had a bunker fire on it off the coast of Cyprus that was bad enough to been seen by satellite.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

An Su-27 built in a western factory, with western avionics, to western standards with western engines would be a thing of beauty. It would be really fun to see something like that in a fly off with an F-15EX.

But, unless we develop the ability to travel between different timelines or dimensions. I will probably never see it.
View Quote
The flip side is how impressive the Flanker family is given where and how it's built.  

Ships and planes are strange in as much as sometimes they just look "right".  The Flankers look right.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I noted the same thing after seeing a SU27 up close......yeesh...rivet rash and ill-fitted panels for days
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most of the fire appears to be over the horizon. Some detonations appear to be in the air so they may be anti-missile systems hitting incoming targets.  I’m betting Ukraine fired more than two missiles but two impacted. The large detonation may be the magazine exploding.  Flashes may be cloud cover reflection of ship anti-missile engagement and or initial missile hits-explosions.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#30]
HELL YEAH!

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
yes, but the point wasn't the specific hardware it was the lack of encryption.  SINCGARS is just being phased out now, L3 just got the contract last month.

Regardless, a military operating at any reasonable level of competence has had encrypted comms for...decades.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Software definable radios has made SINCGARS type radios obsolete.
yes, but the point wasn't the specific hardware it was the lack of encryption.  SINCGARS is just being phased out now, L3 just got the contract last month.

Regardless, a military operating at any reasonable level of competence has had encrypted comms for...decades.

Yet the Russian invasion force went to war with radios like what i use to talk to MRS. BGB around the property. Soooooo....
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The idea that a Russian flag ship missile cruiser has to send an SOS via Morse code on HF is ridiculous.

I call bull shit, but if true then the Russian military is more of  a joke than I suspected.
View Quote

The Russian navy still uses Morse code extensively.  Sent from radios with vacuum tubes.  Theory is that when nukes start flying, their comms will still work.  They aren't wrong, but EMP hardened radios have come a long way.

It is absolutely possible, or even probable, that a distress signal would be sent via Morse.  Particularly if other gear was damaged.

Obviously, this is not their only method of communicating, but they maintain proficiency with HF that, quite frankly, the US Navy no longer possesses, or at least not when I got out a decade ago.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c9/Project_1164_Moskva_2009_G1.jpg/1024px-Project_1164_Moskva_2009_G1.jpg

Moskva (Formerly the SLAVA), is the Cruiser that demanded the Ukrainian Snake Island Garrison surrender - that then received the Fuck You reply back...

Now they received something more than just some "Harsh Language" ...    LOL!!!

BIGGER_HAMMER

View Quote

Is that a Confederate battle flag in the backdround?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Whoa.

That may cause an escalation from Moscow (if they have anything left to escalate with).

Off the top of my head the last capital warship lost in combat was probably the General Belgrano during the Falkland War.
View Quote

Cruisers are capital ships?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Heh. RT.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#37]

"the detonation of armaments has ceased".

So at minimum they've got a floating hull. Will they park it in Sevastapol and wait?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The “Moskva” (Moscow)
Russian Navy’s flagship Missile Cruiser was just hit by multiple UA missiles and her magazine detonated. She’s dead.

This was one of the primary ships commanding the Black Sea fleet and providing a to air s300 coverage in southern Ukraine and coordinating the cruise missile attacks of the fleet into Ukraine.

Thought it was important enough to post outside the thread. Not sure the last time a major surface combatant was sunk in a war.

ETA: Unconfirmed reports now are starting to say after magazine explosion it capsized, and has now sunk to the bottom of the Black Sea. The Moskva is no more.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nyet, brave missile cruiser now submarine, fighting fish Nazis. Very long mission, might not be back for while.
View Quote

I guffawed.

Your avatar (and the scene it represents) dovetails beautifully.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Tagscribed for the pics.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not from a Neptune test. That is the HMS Boxer in 2004. Sunk as a target ship. That damage is from a harpoon, which has a 50% larger warhead than a Neptune.
View Quote

Maybe a Neptune hit the Moskva and knocked off the bird crap and rust that was holding it together?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
They "have" a "carrier" is kind of like saying they have a space shuttle.   They do...but the hanger it is in collapsed on it 2 decades ago and it's currently in another country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have a carrier  -  it just isn't feeling well right now.

They "have" a "carrier" is kind of like saying they have a space shuttle.   They do...but the hanger it is in collapsed on it 2 decades ago and it's currently in another country.

The carrier is supposed to start post-refit sea trials in 2023, but I'm betting that date slips ...
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It's a giant piece of shit.  If burns some heavy residual tars left over from the refinery process, it's what we would call Bunker C Oil but way worse.  Its basically toxic sludge left over from one of their refineries.  It is drydock for repairs and I doubt the have they money to get it operational again.

https://thebarentsobserver.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_width/public/kuzze_in_smoke.jpeg?itok=7Y1z-j6T

Edit: Second image was Fake News...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit: Second image was Fake News...

Yeah - about that drydock - it sank, and dropped a 70 ton crane on the carrier.  Oops ...
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The flip side is how impressive the Flanker family is given where and how it's built.  

Ships and planes are strange in as much as sometimes they just look "right".  The Flankers look right.
View Quote

Flankers are good airframes; the early models are held back by 1970's vintage analog gauges and pilot overload.  The upgraded models with glass cockpits should be quite capable (for Slavshit avionics, anyway)
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#45]
They should fire a few more AShMs at it while it's limping back to port. There's a really good chance they could get a hit while its systems are fucked
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c9/Project_1164_Moskva_2009_G1.jpg/1024px-Project_1164_Moskva_2009_G1.jpg

Moskva (Formerly the SLAVA), is the Cruiser that demanded the Ukrainian Snake Island Garrison surrender - that then received the Fuck You reply back...

Now they received something more than just some "Harsh Language" ...    LOL!!!

BIGGER_HAMMER

View Quote
I would interpret the latest development as another 'Fuck you' response from the Ukrainians.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well, communism and socialism are just excuses for a ruling class to loot an entire country.   When everyone is corrupt as fuck and spend all their time stealing public resources to line their own pockets, it makes sense that their military expenditures would basically be wasted.   They've made a good living selling second rate equipment to dictators who need to oppress the locals and keep their neighbors at bay, but it seems like the reality of the russian military and their equipment is a far cry from their hype.

The real question is whether the chinese are similarly crappy or if they've been able to produce functional copies of western equipment.   Or if they know what to do with it.
View Quote

Yeah - most of their shit are Harbor Freight copies of russian shit.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#49]
The ship goes up just like their tanks
They have not learned to protect the ammunition.
The mighty Russian Army does not appear mighty any more.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yesterday the US agreed to share “more Intel” to Ukraine.

A NATO spy plane was making circles near the Black Sea when it happened. I do think we have them a little info. They pulled the trigger.
View Quote

What's a NATO spy plane?
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top