Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Damn. Wonder if an AT-4 will penetrate a T-62?

The only AT-4 training I ever had was in basic, they said to aim for a track on a tank. But a T-62 is old enough, maybe you could punch through?
View Quote

It will smoke a T62
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

dude...stop reporting reality....Ukraine is marching on moscow as we speak....

taking video's of your own men and equipment being killed and destroyed is how you win wars...didn't y a know?
View Quote
Link to Ukraine heading to Moscow
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Damn

Could you imagine the US pulling M48s and Sherman's out of retirement, or even M60 tanks?

View Quote

The majority of M48s were already shot up by our air force as range targets.  They used to deliver trainloads of them periodically to Drum.  I got to look all through them years ago in the AF storage area of the ranges prior to them getting shot up.  I’d already been in M60s as I was a mortarman in an armor bn.  Rather be in the mortar carrier than an M60.   A lot less maintenance head aches.

The M48s looked cool though.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How did Ukraine get all those T62s?

I wonder

And T90A tanks?

And T80BVMs?

And T72B3s?

Models only Russia used
View Quote

well other than the t90s and t80 (etc) they had them in inventory....
getting so much "russian equipment", that the gyspy zelensky is begging nato and every country in the world for more tanks and equpipment

u ever deviate from ur CIA talking points?
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is a plan to get us to deplete reserves while they have ramped up.

This is 1937 and we are behind. We need to ramp up ASAP.

If anyone needs a great production coordinator hit me up.

??
View Quote

The west has every production wild card up it's sleeves.

USA? yep. Lend lease.

South Korea? Yep.

Poland? Same.

Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Romania? Absolutely.

Russia cannot compete on production in any metric.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Russia is buying ammunition and war material from North Korea and Iran.

Who are the ones bringing 60 year old tanks back in service, again?

@comradeputinfluffer

@nomad07
View Quote

...ur CIA handlers never gave u the memo oh how that shit has been debunked even by the pentagon and DOD???
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

...ur CIA handlers never gave u the memo oh how that shit has been debunked even by the pentagon and DOD???
View Quote
Link to debunking
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

well other than the t90s and t80 (etc) they had them in inventory....
getting so much "russian equipment", that the gyspy zelensky is begging nato and every country in the world for more tanks and equpipment

u ever deviate from ur CIA talking points?
View Quote

The T72B3 was never used by Ukraine. In this conflict it was only used by Russia. It's fairly easy to identify because of that.

Same for the T80BVM. It was only issued to a select few units, also in Russia.

BMD4M? Russia only, captured during the great Hostomel VDV massacre.

Su35? Also.

Su30? Same.

KA52? Also a Russian only vehicle.

it's easy to see Russia is Ukraine's greatest armament supplier.

And because of the repair factories running full tilt in CZ and Poland damaged tanks near write off will be repaired and sent back.

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where did those Geran-2, I mean "Shahed 136" drones come from, again?

Why is russia having to steal tanks from belarus? Because Russia stronk, right?
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Because they lost their first rate units, equipment, and are resorting to the T62, as seen above.

They didn't expect to lose almost half of their active duty tank fleet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russia has roughly a population of 144 million.

They lost over 60k so far. How can they be scraping the bottom of the barrel already?

Because they lost their first rate units, equipment, and are resorting to the T62, as seen above.

They are scraping just to come up with troops as well.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I just hope that when they get to the point of raiding the Kubinka tank museum and put the Maus into service there will be video.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Russia is gonna be in a world of hurt if China decides to make a move to reclaim what they think is theirs in the East.

Kind of fortuitous that Chinese-owned politicians in the West have backed Ukraine and bled out Russia, materially.

TC
View Quote

I really don't doubt that Russia would nuke China if China invades them while this is all going on.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quantity has a quality of its own
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russia is buying ammunition and war material from North Korea and Iran.

Who are the ones bringing 60 year old tanks back in service, again?

@comradeputinfluffer

@nomad07

Ladies and gentlemen, you now have a glimpse into the mind of the pro-Russian arfcommer.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Russia is gonna be in a world of hurt if China decides to make a move to reclaim what they think is theirs in the East.

Kind of fortuitous that Chinese-owned politicians in the West have backed Ukraine and bled out Russia, materially.

TC
View Quote
I've seen that Japan has stepped up the rhetoric about the Sakhalin Islands co-claimed by them and Russia.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Is it possible that Russia is using shit vehicles and conscripts to soak up Ukranian anti armour resources ?

Holding better trained and equipped units in reserve for when the Ukranians run low ?
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Will these re-issued T62s still be a soup can to the Javelin?

These puppies don't have auto-loaders, from what I have been able to discover. So, another crew member is needed and the loading is much slower. (30sec vs 6 sec)

That may not seem like much, but, humans loading shells into chambers can be distracted and make mistakes.

RUS making mistakes? Who would have guessed.

That said, I don't see the few hundred they get onto the battle field making a difference.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Possible they went to shit and they just scrapped some to keep others running?
View Quote

1.  Production never equalled the stated numbers, for a combination of propaganda and corruption.
2.  People charged with inventory were either bribed or tricked in manner in which the Mercury Cyclone Spoiler was "homolgated" for NASCAR competition despite not having produced the required 500 models.  The parked the Cyclone Spoilers on the front, sides, and back of the parking area and filled the middle with regular Mercury Cyclones.  This explains ...
3.  ... where some of the T-62 are coming from - they were filling the "middle of the motor pool" where T-72 were supposed be that were never produced or sold off through the back gate to foreign countries.  Russia is very corrupt.  And ...
4.  Using the T-62 allows using reserve troops, maintainers,  and instructors who were trained on the -62 "back in the day" but not newer models.  In fact, even if only trained on the -55 they should be able to operate and maintain the -62.  Remember you need not only tanks, but also crews, spares, and mechanics.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#19]
this is like reading red storm rising only Ukraine is kicking the shit out of their armor rather than the US

I just hope, like the book, if the russian power brokers seriously start talking use of tac nukes, a cabal stage a coup  and take out the crazies and sue for peace.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm curious about the main gun ammo. I'm pretty sure there is no new manufacture and 40 years of storage on the open Tundra is not going to help.

Maybe we'll see a lot of self detonating tank videos?
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They lost over 60k so far. How can they be scraping the bottom of the barrel already?

Their population pyramid sucks donkey balls for getting military aged males, and men in Russia drink themselves to death at astounding rates.

Then the whole conscription system is broken...  Say that you are in charge of some administrative unit of Russia...  You get the call that you have to send 500 conscripts to fight in the special military operations.  Who do you send? Your smart kids that are running your economy? The ones going to University?  Or do you send the contents of the local jail, drunk tank, dive bar, and home for the criminally insane?  It's not like anybody is checking to see if the people you send were ever trained or anything.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is it possible that Russia is using shit vehicles and conscripts to soak up Ukranian anti armour resources ?

Holding better trained and equipped units in reserve for when the Ukranians run low ?
View Quote
We've seen pics of the well trained and equipped units...  After they got dead.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm curious about the main gun ammo. I'm pretty sure there is no new manufacture and 40 years of storage on the open Tundra is not going to help.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Belgium and Russia still make it, not to mention lots of stored ammunition.

The Belgian made stuff is the best performing on the market.

Quoted:

These puppies don't have auto-loaders, from what I have been able to discover. So, another crew member is needed and the loading is much slower. (30sec vs 6 sec)

That may not seem like much, but, humans loading shells into chambers can be distracted and make mistakes.

That said, I don't see the few hundred they get onto the battle field making a difference.

Humans can be faster but autoloaders don't get tired.

Only needing 3 to completely crew a vehicle is a big benefit.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The only AT-4 training I ever had was in basic, they said to aim for a track on a tank. But a T-62 is old enough, maybe you could punch through?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Somewhere in the big thread is a claim that 15% of recent tank kills are T-62

A stock T-62?  A M72 LAW would take it out.  It only has around 250mm of frontal armor.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not only not advanced, it's devolved. All the shit worth stealing and selling has been stolen and sold. There's no way, based on paper, that Russia should be out of T-72's. No way.  Or T-80's, for that matter.  Not based on actual (claimed) production and export numbers.  So either the initial production number were a lie (which, well, communism), or their military was scrapping newer tanks (which had probably been stripped of everything usable) rather than older ones.

This is worth repeating.

For decades, the CIA was telling Congress how much industrial production and armor the USSR was building. And some American economics professors were saying that the math didn't add up, that systemically the communist system led to exaggerations of tank output, and that the USSR couldn't be building these amounts of armaments. This all became moot in 1991/1992 and has mostly been forgotten as a footnote.

But maybe the economists were correct all along; the tanks never actually got built.

We would still expect to see the hulls somewhere.  And we don't.  Not in numbers that add up.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

30 seconds for a human reload?  Well I suppose that depends on the layout of tank main gun ammunition, but even if the rounds are poorly stored and difficult to access, a good loader can still be at the ready to “lap load” when reloading and that method is faster than a T-72 series auto loader.

I can’t remember what the TRADOC “Go / No-Go” standards for time to reload the M256 120mm main gun are for the US Army, but you were a shitbag loader if you couldn’t get it done in 6 seconds during TCGST (now GST) before gunnery.    

BTW, a very senior but now-retired MG told me some time ago that the 19K wimminz want more time to reload because they are having a hard time meeting TRADOC testing standards.

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We would still expect to see the hulls somewhere.  And we don't.  Not in numbers that add up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not only not advanced, it's devolved. All the shit worth stealing and selling has been stolen and sold. There's no way, based on paper, that Russia should be out of T-72's. No way.  Or T-80's, for that matter.  Not based on actual (claimed) production and export numbers.  So either the initial production number were a lie (which, well, communism), or their military was scrapping newer tanks (which had probably been stripped of everything usable) rather than older ones.

This is worth repeating.

For decades, the CIA was telling Congress how much industrial production and armor the USSR was building. And some American economics professors were saying that the math didn't add up, that systemically the communist system led to exaggerations of tank output, and that the USSR couldn't be building these amounts of armaments. This all became moot in 1991/1992 and has mostly been forgotten as a footnote.

But maybe the economists were correct all along; the tanks never actually got built.

CFE treaty and inspection / verification process would have the answer to that question.  

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

They've burned out their best units trying to take Kyiv and holding Kherson and Kharkiv.

There are no more good units left, just remainders.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Damn

Could you imagine the US pulling M48s and Sherman's out of retirement, or even M60 tanks?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are is good shape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v5zdE21gXU
Damn

Probably look similar to the Israeli Magach-7 series for the M60
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They will next have to goto the gulag and offer someone 6 months of service to end a jail term. They are running out of bodies.

They started that months ago.

Great way to get rid of undesirables
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
4.  Using the T-62 allows using reserve troops, maintainers,  and instructors who were trained on the -62 "back in the day" but not newer models.  In fact, even if only trained on the -55 they should be able to operate and maintain the -62.  Remember you need not only tanks, but also crews, spares, and mechanics.
View Quote
It's not that the Russians are dumb, just out of good practice with it all.
Add a brief training module on how to look cool and die with honor while blundering around with bad tactics, equipment, leadership and breath...
...and I think these T-62 crews will be up to speed on the glorious new battlespace.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wasn't the proposed M60A4 a lot like what eventually became the Sabra?
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think so…….. had a lot of reactive armor all over it
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are well past the point to send in the reserve. At this point Russia is trying to maintain the prewar border.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Usually Hapless does a good workup on the M-60 and varients

Combat Mission is a great game too
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Russia's newest armored vehicle
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

And? 1985 NATO would've whooped their asses .

The ONLY issue would've been keeping people supplied w enough ammo . Russian equipment has been shown to be total crap .
View Quote

Maybe by then, but not much before then.

The biggest equipment shortcoming that the Russians had then and now is that their central bank printing press sucks compared to that of the U.S.A.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Lost in this is the question of whether tanks in general are obsolete now.
View Quote

Came here to post this, the tanks are being used as rocket fodder to draw fire away from other equipment.

I'd bet they're not even fully crewing them in the field too.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They are well past the point to send in the reserve. At this point Russia is trying to maintain the prewar border.
View Quote
The one the Russians declared in 2014, or the internationally recognized one?

Seems they would have a much easier time holding to the internationally recognized one, since Ukraine wouldn't want to push past it.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Came here to post this, the tanks are being used as rocket fodder to draw fire away from other equipment.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lost in this is the question of whether tanks in general are obsolete now.

Tanks were declared obsolete multiple times in the last 50 years, but what follows is always new counter-measures or tactics that brings allows them to be used, and highlights the need for mobile protected firepower.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yep. That’s an SU-100…….. 122 has the big brake on the end of the barrel……. It’s going to be funny seeing those roll into combat, only to get can-opened by an AT weapon…… what’s next, T-34s and JS-2s? There’s a reason the Russkies don’t throw stuff away
View Quote

Maybe we're finally going to see the importation of a mess of WWI vintage Model 1895 Winchesters in 7.62X54R...as Ukrainian captures.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#42]
For all the "lol T-34" talk, I wonder if they're pulling the really old shit out of retirement to use in some capacity where "a tank" is enough? WW2-era armor is still armor, and I bet it'd still laugh at small arms fire and things like a drone-delivered grenade. I'd wonder how long the really old stuff will run for under field conditions, but hell, putting a shitty old tank behind an offensive which otherwise wouldn't have one against an area with no capable opposition to "armored moving thing with a 7.62x54r machine gun " could make all the difference.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Javelin = Hot knife

All Russian armor = Soft creamy butter

Nuff said!
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Tanks were declared obsolete multiple times in the last 50 years, but what follows is always new counter-measures or tactics that brings allows them to be used, and highlights the need for mobile protected firepower.
View Quote
You mean the MPF program that GDLS won?  Or "mobile protected firepower" as a concept?

I agree that declaring tanks to be obsolete seems shortsighted.  However, i imagine that with proliferation of active defense, that we'll see lighter tanks that don't rely solely on a mass of steel for defensive measures (since that armor won't stop a javelin anyway).

In turn, I would imagine that tanks weighing less than 50 tons will open up other compact possibilities due to their ability to utilize extant infrastructure (which might be a role for the T-55S being sent from Sovakia, maybe those will be able to squirrel themselves where larger/heavier tanks cannot get to?)
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
For all the "lol T-34" talk, I wonder if they're pulling the really old shit out of retirement to use in some capacity where "a tank" is enough? WW2-era armor is still armor, and I bet it'd still laugh at small arms fire and things like a drone-delivered grenade. I'd wonder how long the really old stuff will run for under field conditions, but hell, putting a shitty old tank behind an offensive which otherwise wouldn't have one against an area with no capable opposition to "armored moving thing with a 7.62x54r machine gun " could make all the difference.
View Quote
So, the functional equivalent of an armored car?

Wouldn't be hard to see that being the case.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't that make maintenance/replacing a track more difficult?
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You mean the MPF program that GDLS won?  Or "mobile protected firepower" as a concept?

I agree that declaring tanks to be obsolete seems shortsighted.  However, i imagine that with proliferation of active defense, that we'll see lighter tanks that don't rely solely on a mass of steel for defensive measures (since that armor won't stop a javelin anyway).

In turn, I would imagine that tanks weighing less than 50 tons will open up other compact possibilities due to their ability to utilize extant infrastructure (which might be a role for the T-55S being sent from Sovakia, maybe those will be able to squirrel themselves where larger/heavier tanks cannot get to?)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven’t kept up with active defense technology, but I would think the technological challenges of stopping KE AP munitions w/ an omni-directional explosive charge a difficult milestone.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

He means the concept. And look at the FCS tank to see where the Army has thought these things were headed before.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Question for the military historians here in this esteemed forum

Was the T62 the pressure cooker that explodes from it's own magazine/explosive shells when it's hit and blows it's own turret like a Jack-in-The-Box?

I like watching them cook off Boom!Boom!Boom!Boom!Boom!!!
View Quote

A T-62 is like any other tank that has metal cased ammunition loose in the turret and hull with HE that is sensitive to fire and explosion.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm no tank expert, but aren't these older models even more fuel inefficient than current models? I mean, i know a tank isn't a mpg role model, but Russia can barely maintain its own supply chain, let alone maintain what is probably an even more fuel hungry and maintenance intensive model. Not that they have a choice, but this is rapidly devolving into zero sum for them-- The more armor they lose, the more antiques they deploy resulting in less up-time for the armor, which likely results in more amore lost...

I mean, I knew Russian propaganda was full of bullshit, but I never imagined them to be this bad.
View Quote

Downside, old engines. Upside, 36 tonnes.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top