BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:28:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If this is actually a picture of vehicles being prepared for combat and not restored for a museum or parade I can’t imagine what the troops who get them will be thinking
View Quote

Same as someone here under 30 getting into an old truck with 3 on the tree.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:30:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Russians are not fighting Ukraine they are fighting the western world arming them on their doorstep. The US has sent more money in arms to Ukraine than than Russia has spent on all its military in the past 5 years or more. So it's time for them to play the wild card.

East Germany was allowed to leave the USSR so long as the UN does not enter their border states...that was the agreement. No one wants to tell the truth on this in the fake news media in the west.

That said the US threatened nuclear war if the soviets put bases in Cuba on the US doorstep. Also keep in mind the US intentionally bombed the shit out of civilian targets in both Germany and Japan killing millions of eldery and women and children along with using the atomic bomb twice to win a war to lessen its losses in a ground war. Time for Russia to follow the same plan. Believe me when I say they are thinking this.

Thus Russia should use nukes to win in Ukraine due to the west funding and supplying them and if the west tries to attack them then full nuclear war is on with all countries in both Europe and the US.

Make the US blink this time as to what they hold dear. Ukraine stays Russian as it has since the 13th century or the West looses all they hold dear and a billion people die and everything you know is destroyed...make your choice. Same thing the US did to Japan.

That's how I'd play this if I were Putin.

Not saying this should happen just discussing the reality by war gaming at the adult level without the MSM propaganda because most likely this is what they are thinking.

Grown ups need to consider the reality of going to war with a country possessing 3000 nuclear intercontinental missiles (even if only 1/2 work) and if its worth loosing everything and everyone you know to support the worlds biggest most corrupt money laundering state...Russia may have a shitty army now but this is not Iraq.

I say hold piece talks and allow Russia a corridor in Ukraine to their shitty black sea fleet to end this before it becomes the biggest holocaust in mans history. It's simply not worth it to us.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:39:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This is how I see it. If Russia uses nukes then the west should use nukes on Russia. Its up to Russia to decide if that is what they want. So go ahead use the nukes and and find out.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Russians are not fighting Ukraine they are fighting the western world arming them on their doorstep. The US has sent more money in arms to Ukraine than than Russia has spent on all its military in the past 5 years or more. So it's time for them to play the wild card.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The US has promised money almost equal to a year of Russian defense spending but only spent like half of that, and in any case you guys have to decide if the money was all stolen or not.

East Germany was allowed to leave the USSR so long as the UN does not enter their border states...that was the agreement. No one wants to tell the truth on this in the fake news media in the west.

East Germany was never in the USSR and the west didn’t promise not to expand NATO.

That said the US threatened nuclear war if the soviets put bases in Cuba on the US doorstep.

The US put nuclear weapons in Ukraine? Tell me more?

Thus Russia should use nukes to win in Ukraine due to the west funding and supplying them and if the west tries to attack them then full nuclear war is on with all countries in both Europe and the US.

I get that you hate America but calling for nuclear war against your own country is a bit much don’t you think?

Make the US blink this time as to what they hold dear. Ukraine stays Russian as it has since the 13th century or the West looses all they hold dear and a billion people die and everything you know is destroyed...make your choice. Same thing the US did to Japan.

Russia didn’t hold much of ukraine until much later, and they took it in large part from poles and tatars. They want you to believe it’s always been theirs, but it hasn’t.

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:44:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How about a whole ringtail passle?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol,,"Metric shit ton" . There.

How about a whole ringtail passle?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:47:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

East Germany wasn't "allowed to leave.". The Berlin Wall collapsed through typical commie government incompetence and ennui and the East Germans left as fast as they could.  Plus, any promises made to the USSR are as binding as promises made to the independent nation of Bavaria

That said the US threatened nuclear war if the soviets put bases in Cuba on the US doorstep.

The U.S. did not "threaten nuclear war", the U.S. Navy embargoed Cuba to prevent missile bases from being built.  The only threat of nuclear war was if the Soviets escalated.  And afterwards, we removed our medium range missiles from Turkey in a nod to the Soviets.

Also keep in mind the US intentionally bombed the shit out of civilian targets in both Germany and Japan killing millions of eldery and women and children along with using the atomic bomb twice to win a war to lessen its losses in a ground war. Time for Russia to follow the same plan. Believe me when I say they are thinking this.

Germany set the rules when they began the Blitz, intentionally targeting English cities with bombing raids and V1s.  To say nothing pf the genocide they carried put on conquered territtories.  They got back a little more than they bargained for to be sure.  Japan did even worse than Germany in the murdering civilians category, and they did it personally rather than aerial bombardment.  Then they decided to sneak-attack the U.S.

The U.S. didn't forcibly take Okinawa from Japan and then 8 years later invade Honshu, and then nuke it.  It nuked Japan after it was attacked by Japan, fought a long, bloody war to get close enough to actually attack Japan back, and after the Japanese refused multiple opportunities to surrender.

Ukraine has made its choice.  The Ukrainians may be relying on western money; but it's Ukrainian blood doing the heavy lifting.  They don't want to be part of Russia and they're willing to fight over it.  Nukes aren't going to change that and will further isolate Russia.

Not saying this should happen just discussing the reality by war gaming at the adult level without the MSM propaganda because most likely this is what they are thinking.

Grown ups need to consider the reality of going to war with a country possessing 3000 nuclear intercontinental missiles

Yeah, that's not the adult level of war-gaming.  Grown ups would consider the reality of broadening a war when you're already getting your ass kicked by the kid you tried to steal lunch money from.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Belgium and Russia still make it, not to mention lots of stored ammunition.

The Belgian made stuff is the best performing on the market.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Belgium and Russia still make it, not to mention lots of stored ammunition.

The Belgian made stuff is the best performing on the market.

Pretty sure North Korea makes it too.

Humans can be faster but autoloaders don't get tired.

Only needing 3 to completely crew a vehicle is a big benefit.

Until you have to break track, hump ammo, pull security, put up/take down camo nets, hand-dig a two-tier fighting position, perform crew maintenance, dig concertina wire out of the drive sprocket, fill in an antitank ditch by hand, manually de-mine a route ....
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:51:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Until you have to break track, hump ammo, pull security, put up/take down camo nets, hand-dig a two-tier fighting position, perform crew maintenance, dig concertina wire out of the drive sprocket, fill in an antitank ditch by hand, manually de-mine a route ....
View Quote

Sure; but when your non-compartmented ammo blows up and sends your turret flying 200 feet into the air, you only lose three guys instead of four.

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:52:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

just saw a picture of our troll.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:54:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Downside, old engines. Upside, 36 tonnes.
View Quote

Perhaps you missed the video of a German captured T-34 that they ran into a swamp when they were done with it.  It was pulled out of the swamp after 50 years of being underwater, dried out, fresh fuel and oil put in it, a charged battery, and it fired up and drove.

I can't picture Russian depot storage/maintenance being QUITE that bad ...
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:56:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Russia probably has the capability to make more, since Nexter makes 115mm APFSDS which is actually pretty comparable to 105mm, but that's not the point. Point is there must be an export market for it.
View Quote

I think some Arab countries ended up with 62s.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:07:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Russia supposedly jacked India out of several of T-90Ms that India had returned for upgrading.  At least one of those ended up in Ukraine.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:19:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Several issues might be in play.  The economies of the Soviet Union and vessel countries is vastly different than the US.  Our goverment needs pork to spread.  We needed to keep producing, so we did not maintain our antiques.  A communistic country would not work that way.  They needed to be able to arm there vessel states, but probably did not feel the need to manufacture new shit for them.  So their antiques probably went into storage.  Likewise, the ammo for those antiques probably went into storage.  Even if they have plenty of modern equipment - right now they may be running low on ammo.  Easier to dust off the old equipment that has not been given to other countries and use old surplus ammo than figure out a way to increase ammo production for the new stuff.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:27:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:58:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Why would they bring them out if the T72 tanks were easy pickins? Anyone?
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 2:07:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
They don't have anything else?
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 2:10:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

They had a bunch of T62s they were "modernizing" to sell abroad.  Those tanks are relatively intact, upgraded, and work because they were going to be sold and stealing parts off them would have been discovered when they were delivered.  Same with embezzling funds used to upgrade them.

The T72s in inventory are primarily Russian army.  So, not only have they been stripped of anything valuable by their own soldiers, their commanders probably spent the money that was supposed to be used to maintain them on boats and hoes.  And that cycle has been going on so long you can always say "It was like that when I got here" if you grt caught.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 2:11:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I have read reports that Russia has lost over 90% of its combat armor vehicles in this.  It’s certainly makes the case for the obsolescence of tanks.  Anti tank weapons have far outpaced the development of armor.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 2:13:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have read reports that Russia has lost over 90% of its combat armor vehicles in this.  It’s certainly makes the case for the obsolescence of tanks.  Anti tank weapons have far outpaced the development of armor.
View Quote

Wrong lesson to take.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 2:17:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They had a bunch of T62s they were "modernizing" to sell abroad.  Those tanks are relatively intact, upgraded, and work because they were going to be sold and stealing parts off them would have been discovered when they were delivered.  Same with embezzling funds used to upgrade them.

The T72s in inventory are primarily Russian army.  So, not only have they been stripped of anything valuable by their own soldiers, their commanders probably spent the money that was supposed to be used to maintain them on boats and hoes.  And that cycle has been going on so long you can always say "It was like that when I got here" if you grt caught.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do the T72s being stripped of things explain why they have lost a lot of them in Ukraine?

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 2:18:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd say it makes the case that the current Russian army can't even pull off 1944 Soviet armored doctrine.  I'm not sure using tanks like a drunken halfwit means tanks are obsolete.  If you read the Russian reports, they don'teven have reliable comms with other tanks in their platoon, and no comms with infantry, artillery, or air support except at the command levels.  Kind of hard to do combined arms without communication.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 2:31:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Do the T72s being stripped of things explain why they have lost a lot of them in Ukraine?

View Quote

Well, if you were a Russian commander who had embezzled funds and then got orders to move out on combat operations in the next 24 hours out of the blue, reporting non-combat ready equipment as "destroyed by the enemy" and then abandoning it in a field is probably better for you than saying "Yes, on that last report where I said we were at 97% readiness, I meant 47%.". But that's just speculation on my part.

I do know from reading Russian language reports that radio sets, headsets, and other critical communications gear is in short supply and much of what they do have is old, analog stuff.  That's probably not helpful.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:49:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Russia makes a case for a smaller amount of quality equipment rather than thousands of obsolete vehicles and weapons - especially without Chinese-level manpower where they could deploy a lot of junk all at once to just overwhelm with their numbers while taking heavy losses.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:52:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I recall before the war people thought Ukraine was wrong to operate 800-1200 T tanks instead of 200 modern tanks. Who is the genius now?
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:55:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same thing an MTLB, bmp1/2, bmd would do with less crew?

Yeah, North Korea does make it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:04:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well, if you were a Russian commander who had embezzled funds and then got orders to move out on combat operations in the next 24 hours out of the blue, reporting non-combat ready equipment as "destroyed by the enemy" and then abandoning it in a field is probably better for you than saying "Yes, on that last report where I said we were at 97% readiness, I meant 47%.". But that's just speculation on my part.

I do know from reading Russian language reports that radio sets, headsets, and other critical communications gear is in short supply and much of what they do have is old, analog stuff.  That's probably not helpful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like maybe the top Kremlin leaders didn't know about this before sending orders to invade Ukraine.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:07:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Russia makes a case for a smaller amount of quality equipment rather than thousands of obsolete vehicles and weapons - especially without Chinese-level manpower where they could deploy a lot of junk all at once to just overwhelm with their numbers while taking heavy losses.
View Quote

The Soviet Union believed quantity has a quality of it's own. Maybe the Kremlin leaders didn't know the condition and maybe theft of equipment until they went into Ukraine.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 5:15:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Russia is broke and it's cheaper than a T80 or 72. They still come with a pop-up turret.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its really hard to say.

If you look at wars like the Boer War, Russo-Japanese War, which preceded WWI, or the Spanish Civil War, which preceded WWII, or the Armenian-NK fighting...there are definite indications that the new weapon systems are changing the balance.  How much...really really hard to say.

I think high intensity conflict between peer competitors is absolutely more of a crap shoot with much more uncertainty.  And a world power that invests in UAVs has more of an advantage.  Besides that...the old status quo is out and the future is uncertain.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

The big advantage of a three man crew is a smaller tank that is lighter, and can have thicker armor. Harder to hit and better frontal armor then it if was big enough to house four. But that is assuming business as usual and there arent so many top attack threats.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Perhaps you missed the video of a German captured T-34 that they ran into a swamp when they were done with it.  It was pulled out of the swamp after 50 years of being underwater, dried out, fresh fuel and oil put in it, a charged battery, and it fired up and drove.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Downside, old engines. Upside, 36 tonnes.

And you missed the part about being sunk in the swamps is what actually preserved the tank. The very low oxygen levels in the swamps there inhibits corrosion.

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Sure; but when your non-compartmented ammo blows up and sends your turret flying 200 feet into the air, you only lose three guys instead of four.

View Quote

Moot point really.  I get the strong feeling they are sending out only two per tank.  Driver and TC.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd hate to be the guys trying to keep old Russian War Stock equipment running, I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to crew the stuff.

I worked a lot with the Maritime Prepositioning Force, we a had a lot of equipment stored on those ships. The MPF works hard to keep war stock in good condition and our stuff was routinely pulled off the ships to go through depot level maintenance and repairs before being put back on the ships. We still fought with stuff like dry rot, hardened seals, corrosion, contamination of fuel and lubrication systems, dead batteries and a lot of other maintenance headaches. War stock stuff required more man hours to keep operational than equipment in our TOA that stayed active.

I'm sure the Russians haven't dedicated the manpower and expense to maintaining their war stock like we have. Just throwing some batteries, fresh fuel and filters at a piece of equipment that's been sitting for years neglected may get it running but it doesn't make it operational. I doubt the stuff getting rushed through the Russian maintenance depots are going to get the repairs and upgrades that we would enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#35]
I don’t follow what’s going on over there. So I don’t have a dog in this fight.

But stuff like this doesn’t pass the bullshit test. There was another one of these about small arms fairly recently. I don’t believe either for a minute.

The T62 is like 4 generations of tanks ago. T90/T80M, T80/T72M, T72, T64, then T62 and T55. They didn’t make any of these in small numbers. We’re talking about literally thousands upon thousands of tanks. Even if half of them didn’t make it through the post Cold War era, that’s still a shitload of tanks.

The war over there is not yet a year old. They’d have to be taking Eastern Front WWII scale loses daily this whole time to go through that many tanks. They made so many specifically so they could sustain those kinds of losses.

I think a more realistic explanation is that if they’re seeing those older tanks in usage: they’ve either been upgraded or they’re using them for some specific task.

Small arms production is on an even grander scale by virtue of the fact that it’s a shitload easier to make AKs and PKMs than it is tanks. Even the AKMs are 2-3 generations obsolete. The AK-74M(which have been out for 20 years or better) and the AK-74s(which were produced all the way back into the 1970’s). So there are at least 2 full generations of 5.45x39 weapons production that was sitting there waiting on a war-possibly a 3rd if they produced the AN-94 in any quantity(but that’s a pretty big if to be fair). But even so, they’d have to be taking WWI type loses daily to burn through that many weapons. Because they literally geared their production to sustain those kinds of loses.

After WWII the Soviets really prioritized small arms production. They had ended up seriously short of weapons in two World Wars. They even kept stocks of captured weapons for issue if things got REALLY bad(that was all of those Russian Capture K98s that were available here 15-20 years ago). They never really stopped wartime level production during the Soviet era. Sure, QC got a bit better because they weren’t under duress anymore. But they kept production going as though there would be another war in short order. It’s hard to imagine, because we didn’t do that over here.

We’re literally talking about MILLIONS of AK-74s sitting in Cosmoline waiting for issue. SVDs have basically been in constant production since 1963(though they are probably not making the original model anymore). Think about how many weapons that is. They simply haven’t taken those kinds of loses-it’s not possible. That giant import of 7n6 ammo 15 years ago or so-it didn’t even scratch the surface of what they have. I never saw any of it dated after the 70’s, and I was looking(I wanted to find a crate marked from the Afghan War era). That means all of that imported was from the first 5 years or so of production. And I’m sure it probably wasn’t even all of that.

So to sum it all up-It isn’t possible for the Russians to have taken so many losses as to be forced to use a late1950’s era tank because they’ve lost everything else. That’s propaganda to convince you that one side is winning.

Again, I have no dog in this fight. I don’t keep up with what’s going on in Ukraine for a number of reasons.  But I have studied Russian weapons for long enough to have some sense of reality.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Doesn’t make sense to introduce another MBT platform in yet another main gun caliber to the UKR front when their lines of communication are already marginal to begin with.  

Besides, an analog tank like the T-62 with a simple stadia range finder and an intact supply chain of parts to support it is probably a lot easier to teach and maintain than a more modern Russian tank that uses electronic components sourced from foreign vendors that dried up at the start of the conflict.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Is Ukraine going to have space for all these T62 after the farmers tow them away?
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#38]
And yet T-62s are showing up in the fight, along with the oldest T-72s, and North Korean marked ammunition crates.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Sounds like maybe the top Kremlin leaders didn't know about this before sending orders to invade Ukraine.
View Quote

I think Putin's secrecy served him poorly.  His commanders didn't have time to get their shit in order and we were still way inside his OODA loop on decision-making.  On the other hand, that shit had been going on for decades.  Even if his commanders had 2-3 months to get ready, they couldn't undo decades worth of embezzlement.

There was a Russian language story about a Russian unit commander whose unit had gotten called up   They had reported 90~% readiness about 7 months earlier.  When he had to actually move out, maybe 10% of his tanks were operational.  He shot himself before they deployed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
they have been using the T-62 for over a month now in Ukraine in large numbers and have lost a ton of them already.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking.. weren't they already using T-62s? Lol
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Is Ukraine going to have space for all these T62 after the farmers tow them away?
View Quote

The other advantage the T-62s have is they are diesel.  The Russians seem to be having issues keeping their newer gasoline powered tanks fueled.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The other advantage the T-62s have is they are diesel.  The Russians seem to be having issues keeping their newer gasoline powered tanks fueled.
View Quote

All Russian tanks are multifuel, and run in normal operation on diesel.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, what I typed was all fucked up.  Thank you for the correction.  They are having trouble keeping their new gas-turbine tanks fueled.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Russia has roughly a population of 144 million.

They lost over 60k so far. How can they be scraping the bottom of the barrel already?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They will next have to goto the gulag and offer someone 6 months of service to end a jail term. They are running out of bodies.

They started that months ago.

Russia has roughly a population of 144 million.

They lost over 60k so far. How can they be scraping the bottom of the barrel already?

Easy!  Add whatever their WIA is (since Orc combat evac sucks, figure 2 WIA to 1 KIA)  +120,000-ish,  then add whatever percentage of their MAM population has fled since February; conservatively, this number probably is around +600,000.  Add in the roughly 1,000,000 or so that are physically incapable of any form of military service: Add in roughly 1,300,000 that have to be retained for other military and paramilitary duties, and your total is roughly 2,180,000 MAM not available for Ukraine.  Given Russia's age distribution (skews really old), they may not be at the bottom of the barrel now, but they can see it from where they are at!
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yes, what I typed was all fucked up.  Thank you for the correction.  They are having trouble keeping their new gas-turbine tanks fueled.
View Quote

The T-80s are the jet engines and they are expensive thirsty beasts. They like them for the arctic though because turbines start easily in low temps compared to piston engines.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

They are refurbing/updating T-72s (and T-80s, and making new T-90s), in parallel.  They cut new contracts for all those in the last few months (to follow up the active lines that had already been contracted).  Production/output rate.......unknown.

The T-62s were also already being modernized/refurbed (and had been, for a couple of years, allegedly for "Stalwart Indigenous Allies" elsewhere), just at a much lower rate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They are refurbing/updating T-72s (and T-80s, and making new T-90s), in parallel.  They cut new contracts for all those in the last few months (to follow up the active lines that had already been contracted).  Production/output rate.......unknown.

The T-62s were also already being modernized/refurbed (and had been, for a couple of years, allegedly for "Stalwart Indigenous Allies" elsewhere), just at a much lower rate.

Quoted:
I still find it nuts that they are restoring these rather than the thousands of T-72s they have. I know some years back they put effort into getting mass restoration for T-62Ms up and running to supply their allies, but you'd think the T-72s would at least be in equal condition. Seems like the T-62s were properly stored back in the 80s and the T-72s left to rot in the post Soviet 90s.
I wonder if the T-72 refurbishment/modernization requires more chips and such that are suddenly in much shorter supply, making refurbishment of T-62s more attractive on a "tanks per chip" ratio.

They are both just going straight to the grave, so a T-62 will explode just as easily as a T-72, and the "marginal costs" are less.  Hell, they've been paid for so long ago that it might cost more to send the anti tank weapon than the Russians have into the T-62!
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Easy!  Add whatever their WIA is (since Orc combat evac sucks, figure 2 WIA to 1 KIA)  +120,000-ish,  then add whatever percentage of their MAM population has fled since February; conservatively, this number probably is around +600,000.  Add in the roughly 1,000,000 or so that are physically incapable of any form of military service: Add in roughly 1,300,000 that have to be retained for other military and paramilitary duties, and your total is roughly 2,180,000 MAM not available for Ukraine.  Given Russia's age distribution (skews really old), they may not be at the bottom of the barrel now, but they can see it from where they are at!
View Quote

Awkward thing about Russia, their median age is only slightly older than us (39.6 vs. 38.1) despite their male life expectancy that’s almost 6 years shorter than ours. They are also dramatically unhealthy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#48]
People puzzling over the numbers have to remember, the Russian military has other commitments besides Ukraine.  Maintaining troops along the border with China for example. They cannot sent EVERYBODY and every vehicle  to Ukraine.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I wonder if the T-72 refurbishment/modernization requires more chips and such that are suddenly in much shorter supply, making refurbishment of T-62s more attractive on a "tanks per chip" ratio.

They are both just going straight to the grave, so a T-62 will explode just as easily as a T-72, and the "marginal costs" are less.  Hell, they've been paid for so long ago that it might cost more to send the anti tank weapon than the Russians have into the T-62!
View Quote

It’s hard to estimate the value of something that’s 50 years old. Certainly they were the equivalent of several million dollars when new.

I don’t think many of the tanks they are rebuilding have much digital anything on them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
People puzzling over the numbers have to remember, the Russian military has other commitments besides Ukraine.  Maintaining troops along the border with China for example. They cannot sent EVERYBODY and every vehicle  to Ukraine.
View Quote

They’ve sent most. Reports at that from Poland to Finland they have 1/5 the normal manning. 6,000 guys.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top