Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Which is better and why?
View Quote
Really?
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The modern crop of adjustable pistol braces are essentially stocks.

The only reason I'm not 100% sold is the potential for ATF ruling reversal down the road
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#3]
My 3 SBR’s are in the back of the safe.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Both have their advantages.

I choose to own SBRs.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#5]
“It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is.”
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 5 SBRs and I say brace is better. Does everything an SBR does but also can ride in the vehicle as a concealed weapon and travel over state lines without permission from BATFE.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#7]
How about both?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Poll fail, no "get both"
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you often cross state lines with yours?

I have 5 SBR's, no brace.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, this has never been asked before....nope.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Brace
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Here we go.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 5 SBRs and I say brace is better. Does everything an SBR does but also can ride in the vehicle as a concealed weapon and travel over state lines without permission from BATFE.
View Quote
This. And, no stamp.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I hate to say it but aside for a few, the brace has made the SBR obsolete.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. I’d choose a braceless pistol over an SBR just for this.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Both, of course.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This. And, no stamp.
View Quote
Uh yeah, I suppose I forgot to mention that little $200ea thing. Touche'.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Both are good. I like my braces for ease of assembly and transport, and as a temporary build state to spread out costs and verify function. I like my SBR’s so they can look cooler, have more comfy (true) stocks, and to use foregrips. Modern braces have blurred the line considerably, and I consider them to be a much more viable option than even a few years ago.

Still, if you want a SBR (don’t we all?), there’s no substitute but the real thing. I’ve never regretted a stamp. If you like it then you should put a stamp on it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#19]
They are both sub-optimal for different reasons. Hence why I made this meme.

"Gay" work-around vs Bootlicker permission slip. It's just a regular gun with a shorter barrel, and yet it's jail-worthy somehow if you don't dance the robot just right. At least machine guns and supressors do something unique to "deserve" to be regulated.

(No I don't support regulating suppressors or MGs).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Poll fail, no "get both"
View Quote
There can be only one.

Shooting both side by side one of them has to be better.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Dated to the pre-brace era!
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I voted SBR, because I like LMT SOPMOD stocks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

"Gay" work-around vs Bootlicker permission slip. It's just a regular gun with a shorter barrel, and yet it's jail-worthy somehow if you don't dance the robot just right. At least machine guns and supressors do something unique to "deserve" to be regulated.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/75400/IMG_7078-567047.JPG
View Quote
MG’s and suppressors don’t deserve to be regulated.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I live on the state line and cross it daily. I dont like all the bs associated with SBRs, suppressors, and such. My favorite gun right now is my 10.5" AR pistol.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a pistol, but would rather have an sbr if we didn’t have to go thru all that BS
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#26]
SBR, mainly because the ATF has already changed its mind once and pistols/braces are already being specifically targeted by the antis.

That said, my next AR-type firearm will be a pistol.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/75400/IMG_7078-567047.JPG
Right. A scroll through my post history here will remove any doubt that I disagree with you. But they do something unique that antis can point at.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Get both.

For an AR, unless there's a very specific stock you want, I don't see much of a point. One SBR lower and the rest as pistols is best IMO. Can barely tell they're a brace with many of the newer ones

On AKs? Depends on the build because looking cool is half the battle ya know. A wood AK SBR is some hawtness

Basically every PCC? Brace that shit

Lever action? Jesus titty-fucking Christ that's a crime against all that is good in life to put a brace on one
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Just put the order in for this sucker. Equipped from the factory with a folder and brace. No +6 month wait period, no Uncle Sugar’s dirty looks. Will probably swap the brace over to an SBA3. Wouldn’t mind the SBR route but “why”? Just crossing my fingers Sig has stepped up their QC and was made on a Tuesday.

ETA: Braces are a form of tax shelter. If you qualify for one, why wouldn’t you use it?
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#30]
No MS paint needed to demonstrate, but . . .

. . . I live 5 miles south of the TX/OK border and probably cross that state line 15-20 times a week . . .

. . . always with one, or more, of my Shockwave braced pistols secured in my vehicle . . .

. . . SBR's tags are a stupid waste of money.

Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I want as many people with a pistol brace as possible. So that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This. And, no stamp.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This. And, no stamp.
+1
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I live on the state line and cross it daily. I dont like all the bs associated with SBRs, suppressors, and such. My favorite gun right now is my 10.5" AR pistol.
View Quote
Suppressors don't need paperwork to cross state lines, and the paperwork for transporting an SBR takes like 5 minutes, just email it, fax it or stick it in a stamped envelope once a year and you're good to go for another year.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm picky about how my rifle looks and I like to have the correct stocks for them.

SBR for me sir.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#35]
AR pistols are gayer than a bag of dicks.  There's that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Which is better and why?
View Quote
I own several of both.  I give the edge to the pistol with a brace, because it remains functional with a lot less hassle.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Which is better and why?
View Quote
I have both.  The pistols get out of the safe far more often.   They're almost as good to shoot and they're a pistol for concealed carry.  To top it off I don't have to worry about NFA possession issues and can loan it to a friend or leave it in their possession to go get something.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I live within a 20 minute drive of another state. I often go there. A brace is a no brainier for me. No BS paperwork and a months notice just to go to work or to grab a bite to eat.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Why not both? They each have their place. I have a few sbr's and pistol braces and enjoy either of them
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I live within a 20 minute drive of another state. I often go there. A brace is a no brainier for me. No BS paperwork and a months notice just to go to work or to grab a bite to eat.
View Quote
A simple form, sent to the ATF one time a year, will handle this problem in minutes. Then you can go wherever in the state, whenever you want, as many times as you want. Just date your form Jan 1 - Dec 31 and mail, fax or email it each November and totally forget about it afterwards. I keep current forms for Virginia and North Carolina and it takes me maybe 5 minutes a year to print my (already filled out) forms, sign and date them, and fax them to the ATF.

ETA:
Since most of my SBRs started as a pistol, I could theoretically throw a brace on them if I ever needed to go to a random state on a moment's notice, but I have never needed to.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a serious hankering for an SBA3.

I have no SBRs. More on principle than anything else. If you want to spend $200 + stock price you do you.

Bur this whole, "braces are gay" shit really should stop. Makes you look like a petulant middle schooler.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Get both.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A simple form, sent to the ATF one time a year, will handle this problem in minutes. Then you can go wherever in the state, whenever you want, as many times as you want. Just date your form Jan 1 - Dec 31 and mail, fax or email it each November and totally forget about it afterwards. I keep current forms for Virginia and North Carolina and it takes me maybe 5 minutes a year to print my (already filled out) forms, sign and date them, and fax them to the ATF.

ETA:
Since most of my SBRs started as a pistol, I could theoretically throw a brace on them if I ever needed to go to a random state on a moment's notice, but I have never needed to.
View Quote
I did not know that. Thought you had to file every time you crossed state lines.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Which is better and why?
View Quote
Both. I have SBR’s, but also have a braces lower in case I’m traveling and don’t want or have time to file a 5320.20. Both serve a purpose.  Haven’t read any of the replies but I’m sure the usual poo flinging is occurring by the idiots who think their shit is the best smelling shit in the room.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#45]
I have both as well and say brace is better.  My SB PDW brace feels as good as my SBRs, I think looks better, and there's no wait!  If the ATF changes their mind I'll need to start mailing in forms annually to cross state lines and not have it concealed.....

@RNB32 I believe you'd be violating the law with a once a rifle always a rifle by putting a pistol brace on a rifle lower.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Both are good. I like my braces for ease of assembly and transport, and as a temporary build state to spread out costs and verify function. I like my SBR’s so they can look cooler, have more comfy (true) stocks, and to use foregrips. Modern braces have blurred the line considerably, and I consider them to be a much more viable option than even a few years ago.

Still, if you want a SBR (don’t we all?), there’s no substitute but the real thing. I’ve never regretted a stamp. If you like it then you should put a stamp on it.
View Quote
I have zero desire to pay the govt 200 bucks to get on a gun owners list. Stamps  are low hanging fruit  for the govt, and all the rules involved guarantees they know you have it most likely forever.
Fuck that noise. If I can't have a pistol, a 16 inch carbine works.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Pistol brace. FATF

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Clone? SBR

Non clone, one of the newest generation brace
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I have many of both and when I goto the rifle range, braced lowers stay home.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#50]
I like SBR's better.

Building a truck gun with a brace though. Can go everywhere with me, can lose it get stolen ect with no giant pain in the ass to deal with. It's going to be the worlds cheapest (but still reliable) smallest 5.56 rifle ( I mean pistol) I can build.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top