Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/26/2009 5:02:18 AM EDT
Before I get flammed or called some kind of moron for posting about SEAL weapons just read out my post.  

I just finished reading "Lone Survior" by Marcus Lutrell, what a book, I'm not ashamed to say I came to tears a few times when he talked about the way his team fought on in the face of such odds and how they kept fighting despite several injuries to each man from enemy AK rounds or RPG shrapnel.  

What I wanted to comment on was the apparent durability of their M4s.  Marcus describes falling down countless mountainsides only to find his M4 still 100% functional each time.  Not to mention at one point it was blown out of his hands by an RPG blast and it still functioned well enough that he shot several of his pursuers from over 100 yards without difficulty.

So my question is who makes the current M4s for the SEALs?  LWRC?  

The book was so great but it also speaks very highly for the reliability of the weapons they must carry and the M4 in specific
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:04:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure they still use Colt for the most part, possibly some Hk416s in the batch.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:05:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Colt

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:09:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:12:21 AM EDT
[#4]

A GM lower?

Cool..
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:13:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought Marcus had a MK12 and two of his team mates had the M4's.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:16:51 AM EDT
[#6]
According to Vulcan they are the "Machine Guns of the Special Forces" so wouldn't they be the current supplier to the SEAL's?
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:17:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Colts, 10.5" and 14.5".
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:21:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Before I get flammed or called some kind of moron for posting about SEAL weapons just read out my post.  

I just finished reading "Lone Survior" by Marcus Lutrell, what a book, I'm not ashamed to say I came to tears a few times when he talked about the way his team fought on in the face of such odds and how they kept fighting despite several injuries to each man from enemy AK rounds or RPG shrapnel.  

What I wanted to comment on was the apparent durability of their M4s.  Marcus describes falling down countless mountainsides only to find his M4 still 100% functional each time.  Not to mention at one point it was blown out of his hands by an RPG blast and it still functioned well enough that he shot several of his pursuers from over 100 yards without difficulty.

The book was so great but it also speaks very highly for the reliability of the weapons they must carry and the M4 in specific

M16/M4/AR15's are first and foremost weapons, not the toys like they are made up to be by most people on arfcom. They are built to still function after being dropped, thrown, rained on, pried with, ran over, etc. As long as you've got a gun that doesn't have some pot metal cast lower receiver it should get through most rough treatment ok.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:24:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Watch your Cornhole......

I have to ask, why given that 2 folks have already posted, and removed the image, after having a Come to Jesus meeting with PTB's, why you would think its a cool thing to do.

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:29:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have to ask, why given that 2 folks have already posted, and removed the image, after having a Come to Jesus meeting with PTB's, why you would think its a cool thing to do.

Huh?

Anyway.....I have seen some M16's take a beating in the day, they were FN's IIRC...the gun itself, if you don't buy a POS, can take a hell of a beating and keep on working. Its a great tool..that why we all love it so much
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What are you talking about?
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:36:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:38:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:39:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That pic is form SMGlee's thread on the SEAL armory, specifically a NIB Mk12mod1.

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:41:08 AM EDT
[#15]
SMGLee posted a bunch of pics he took in a SEAL armory. That same day his server supposedly crashed. A couple of days later another member reposted the pics. The next day they were removed. Apparently someone believed the photos, mostly of junked M4s, trashed optics, and refurbed Sigs were violating OPSEC. Given the tens of thousands of photos of actual people and equipment in theater on the internet I think this is completely ridiculous.

Edit-

Here's a starting point if you are interested in the drama.  Frankly the "best round for Komodo dragon" thread is more interesting.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=876263

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:42:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

SMGLee posted a bunch of pics he took in a SEAL armory. That same day his server supposedly crashed. A couple of days later another member reposted the pics. The next day they were removed. Apparently someone believed the photos, mostly of junked M4s, trashed optics, and refurbed Sigs were violating OPSEC. Given the tens of thousands of photos of actual people and equipment in theater on the internet I think this is completely ridiculous.

Edit-

Here's a starting point if you are interested in the drama.

And I really want to see them...

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:43:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Colts, 10.5" and 14.5".

MK18 10.3

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:43:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edit-

Toward the bottom of page 3 of that link...
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:45:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edit-

OMG OPSEC MOTHERFUCKER!!!111!

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
According to Vulcan they are the "Machine Guns of the Special Forces" so wouldn't they be the current supplier to the SEAL's?

Do they supply the Dillon M134 gattling gun?
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:52:17 AM EDT
[#21]
assorted lowers that are arsenal rebuilt and new guns are in inventory. There are FN's , Colts, Hydromatic's out there in M-4 configuration.  The lower is surprisingly tough.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:56:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:58:46 AM EDT
[#23]
It was a MK12 as he and one of the other SEALs were snipers for that mission.  I would assume the two spotters had M4s or MK18s.

Strangely I was re-reading some of that book last evening.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:58:48 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edit-

I have to agree.  We take OPSEC very seriously.  Those that dismiss it only care about the eye candy they want to have.  

I helped inventory the armory on my previous base as the "third-set-of-eyes" outside of those that work there (for accountability reasons).  Strict rules were no pictures and no discussions about the specifics of what is in the armory.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:59:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Well this post went a little crazy awful quick.  I was just curious on the manufacturer of their weapons since they seemed so reliable despite all the abuse they took.  I figured they would be at least a gas piston gun and LWRC seems like they show a SEAL in their ads in the magazines?  

I wasn't trying to say that a certian manufacturer wasn't as good as another, I was just commenting on how rugged their weapons seemed to be in particuliar.  They each shot several hundred rounds in quick succession, had rocks and dirt showered all over them, they were blown out of their hands, and no talk of a single missfire.  On the other hand you have guys on here who talk about parts breaking while they are taking a carbine course over a weekend.  I'm not saying they aren't putting their guns to work but you can't tell me they are subjected to the same kind of abuse.  

In the book Marcus did have a Mk12 I believe as well, he made mention of it but that's what I recall it being, he was one of his teams' marksmen.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 6:04:47 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't know about all the rest, but the one I found leaning against a HESCO after the owner walked off was a Colt.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 6:07:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I have to agree.  We take OPSEC very seriously.  Those that dismiss it only care about the eye candy they want to have.  

I helped inventory the armory on my previous base as the "third-set-of-eyes" outside of those that work there (for accountability reasons).  Strict rules were no pictures and no discussions about the specifics of what is in the armory.  

Sure you take it seriously, and I respect that.

But the pic I posted was posted on 2 publicly accessible internet forums that I know of, by the person that took 'em.

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 6:11:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well this post went a little crazy awful quick.  I was just curious on the manufacturer of their weapons since they seemed so reliable despite all the abuse they took.  I figured they would be at least a gas piston gun and LWRC seems like they show a SEAL in their ads in the magazines?  

I wasn't trying to say that a certian manufacturer wasn't as good as another, I was just commenting on how rugged their weapons seemed to be in particuliar.  They each shot several hundred rounds in quick succession, had rocks and dirt showered all over them, they were blown out of their hands, and no talk of a single missfire.  On the other hand you have guys on here who talk about parts breaking while they are taking a carbine course over a weekend.  I'm not saying they aren't putting their guns to work but you can't tell me they are subjected to the same kind of abuse.  

In the book Marcus did have a Mk12 I believe as well, he made mention of it but that's what I recall it being, he was one of his teams' marksmen.

The gas piston manufacturers have made you believe that standard ARs will crumble to dust upon contact with enemy forces. This is not so.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 6:19:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edit-

SMGLee didn't secretly climb the fence with a tiny spy camera up his ass.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 6:22:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edit-

Someone asked him about OPSEC and he stated he was given permission.  He did not state who but made it sound like someone higher up than the armorer said it was OK. Obviously it was not high enough up.  

They were interesting pics.  I was waiting for someone to say the guns weren't clean enough and the spray on camo jobs sucked.  Not to mention all the scratches!  

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 6:27:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There's usually a difference between a factory M4 and a mystery parts bin weekend warrior clone.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 6:37:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Honestly, I think people just like using the word "OPSEC".

You can Google a lot more informative pictures than the ones that SMGLee put up.

OPSEC, private PMs, codewords, espionage.....It is all very Jason Bourne-esque.....or Delta-Farce.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 6:45:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Colt

WHAT?  You mean Bushmaster isn't making them anymore for the SEAL's?

Didn't they have the gubmint contract?
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 6:50:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

M4?

I though he carried a Mk12.

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 7:19:40 AM EDT
[#36]
He carried a Mk 12
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm sure the higher ups have their reasoning for OPSEC, but what can come of a few pics of well worn M4s and SIGS?

What will the enemy learn.

"The infidels will come at us with M4's.....QUICKLY, throw sand and water at them, we will gain the upper hand, god willing."
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Edit-

Here's a starting point if you are interested in the drama.  Frankly the "best round for Komodo dragon" thread is more interesting.

Violating OPSEC? ridiculous...
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#39]
SMGLee obviously had some sort of permission to take those photos.  You can tell by the fact that a couple of them were staged with the subject pulled out of the rack and posed for the camera.  If the armorer didn't notice that going on then SMGLee is a damn ninja.  Whether or not he had permission to post them on the internet is a moot point since the fact that NSW uses all of those particular weapons and optics is common knowlege.

Speaking as a professional I am sure glad that is not my arms room.  It looks like inventory would be a bitch and the way it is set up would not meet the regulations I have to folow.

Last but not least.  Damn those are cool frigging toys I wish I had one of each and a dump truck full of ammo.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Mini 14s, all seals have to sign contracts so they can't talk about these things.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#41]

That's beautiful....
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Colt holds the sole contract to supply M4 carbines to the military.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Give me a fucking break with the OPSEC shit, we're not talking anything classified here, you people need to stop watching so many spy movies and learn what does and doesn't warrant an OPSEC smackdown.

TTPs/SOPs I can understand, even though often not strictly classified, but guns? Is haji going to develop a special frequency to broadcast that targets and disables our M4s and SIG 226s?

Simmer down.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#44]
OPSEC!

boo hoo.. are their m frames made of OPSECtanium too?

common knowledge is common knowledge, coolguy manscaping is too

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone asked him about OPSEC and he stated he was given permission.  He did not state who but made it sound like someone higher up than the armorer said it was OK. Obviously it was not high enough up.  

They were interesting pics.  I was waiting for someone to say the guns weren't clean enough and the spray on camo jobs sucked.  Not to mention all the scratches!  

I agree. I went through that thread and the first thing that came to mind, but I didn't post it, was "Jesus... this is a definite OPSEC problem." Had I not needed to leave, I was going to ask where his authorization for posting that shit on the internet was from. It sounded like he just got a "friend to get him in there and said it was okay for pics."

Whether people truly understand the purpose of what OPSEC is, it's not a simple issue. You want to deny information as much as possible to the enemy. Especially VISUAL information. Textual info is one thing (because you can be lying out your ass easily), photographs are another. Those pictures can also be roughly used to determine the size of the armory, the layout of the armory, and clearly... the [lack of] security for the armory. The extent to their weaponry is also revealed. You can't just put that shit up on the net without it being an official .mil release.

ETA: It doesn't need to have to be any level of classified, though I guarantee it likely is (you have to have clearance), in order for it to be a breach of OPSEC.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#46]
I thought LMT made the 10.5's?
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

crack is bad in the mornings

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#48]
The Mk. 12 uppers are made by Colt, and many of the other parts including the lowers are made by Knights Armament. The M4s they used are made by Colt. I would imagine most AR15s would do what theirs did though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#49]
After a quick google search, I found some pics. Here's a Mk12:

OMG, OPSEC, BAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

And here's a picture of Luttrell himself holding his weapon:

OMG, PERSEC, OPSEC, BAAAAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!!! I sure hope this picture didn't adversely effect Luttrell in Afghanistan.

And look, can't blame SMGLee on it either!

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I thought LMT made the 10.5's?

Nope.

Original MK18s were Colt cut downs, but Colt no produces MK-18s straight from the factory.  LMT provided a few uppers early in the program, but Colt fixed that.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top