Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/29/2018 1:15:28 AM EDT
Need recommendations on the best of the best for combat in space. Actually shtf, no wait hd, eff it all of it. No budget here people. Any optics you think I should go with? What should I zero at? And go...

Joking aside, lots of potential up there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:17:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Will gunpowder even combust in a vacuum?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:17:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:17:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Lever action rifle or revolver.

Because most guns won't cycle properly in space.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:18:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:19:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Need recommendations on the best of the best for combat in space. Actually shtf, no wait hd, eff it all of it. No budget here people. Any optics you think I should go with? What should I zero at? And go...

View Quote
Since zero gravity means weight doesn't matter why not a howitzer with the hubble telescope mounted on top of it?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:20:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I vote yes, since a round is already sealed and self contained.

What I wanna know is what camo is best for space
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:21:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:22:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Since zero gravity means weight doesn't matter why not a howitzer with the hubble telescope mounted on top of it?
View Quote
Probably because momentum is mass x velocity. Not weight x velocity.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:23:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, no let him do it. I wanna see where he ends up
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:24:53 AM EDT
[#10]
A Callahan full-bore auto-lock.  With a case.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:26:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
This yet Newton's Law is still in effect. So how effective would it be? 0G and something that propels a round what would happen? Rocket type projectiles are better for space.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:26:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oh boy...

Here we go.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:27:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why wouldn't they?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:28:27 AM EDT
[#14]
A Callahan full-bore auto-lock, customized trigger, double cartridge and thorough gauge.

Or something looking like this

Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:28:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Swap for Hera stock and fore end and we have a winner
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:30:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Recoil operated ones, maybe. But I don't see why a gas operated gun would have a problem in zero G.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:32:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Recoil operated ones, maybe. But I don't see why a gas operated gun would have a problem in zero G.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recoil is a function of mass and largely independent of gravity.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:32:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Should just hit the box an hope for a ray gun huh.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:32:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Lots are missing the mark.  You don't really need a rifle for use actually out in the vacuum of space.  That doesn't make sense.  What you do want are personal defense weapons for use on board ships and inside of planetary habitats that have controlled atmospheres.

Sort of like naval combat.  Sailors aren't out swimming around shooting at each other with rifles.  Sailors are on big ass ships that have their own ship borne guns.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:35:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Brought this up today to some engineers at work shit got weird quick.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:37:54 AM EDT
[#21]
gyrojet will return
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:45:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Smokeless powder contains it's own oxidizer, so it does not need atmospheric oxygen to burn.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:45:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I say go for a low height over bore optics setup, and zero so that the optic is set parallel to the bore.

The trajectory would be so flat up there that training to shoot knowing that impact will be a near fixed point below the sight/optic, would likely be easier than setting an intersect point at some distance and the requirement of varying hold-under's.

Without bullet drop, parallel just seems simpler than playing with angles
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:48:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Something like this with the following mods.

No trigger guard or pivoting guard. Gloves are kinda important.

Brass catcher.

Ambidextrous lower.

Oversized charging handle.

And a suppressor for use inside a pressurized hull.

Of course for something like this a submachine gun might be preferred for lightness and portability.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:51:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Carl Gustav.

Because Recoilless rifles and rocket launchers exhaust gas to the rear, balancing the recoil.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:54:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Nasa actually researched this in the 1960's and developed the gyro-jet weapon system in case they ran into hostile little green men armed with "assault style" laser sighted butt-probes on the moon.

Basically the powder charge is used to propel a projectile like a rocket imparting spin for gyroscopic stability.

Normal firearms require lubricants that would turn into wax or freeze in extreme temps in a vacuum. Metals behave erratically in these conditions as well. then there is vacuum welding, expansion and contraction of metal under the sunlight and shade temperature differentials that breaks shit.

Go with a rocket.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:58:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A Callahan full-bore auto-lock, customized trigger, double cartridge and thorough gauge.
View Quote
My very favorite gun.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:06:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:06:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My very favorite gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My very favorite gun.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:15:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Smokeless powder contains it's own oxidizer, so it does not need atmospheric oxygen to burn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Correct, as does the primer.

I’m sure if you peruse YouTube you’ll find some video of the mythbusters firing a gun in a vacuum chamber. I think it was done in relation to one fired underwater, but don’t remember.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:32:26 AM EDT
[#32]
You'd probably want something liquid-cooled since there is no air to cool the gun in a vacuum, there is only radiation, which won't cool the gun quickly enough.  Would have to use something that stays liquid at very cold temps.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:46:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not true, unless it's from lack of proper lubrication.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:46:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Gunpowder does not require air to burn.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:47:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You go ahead and strap yourself to a Howitzer and shoot it. Have fun with your TBI.

No gravity does not equal no inertia.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:49:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You'd probably want something liquid-cooled since there is no air to cool the gun in a vacuum, there is only radiation, which won't cool the gun quickly enough.  Would have to use something that stays liquid at very cold temps.
View Quote
Liquid isn't going to help without big radiators.

Skip the liquid and just attach radiator fins to the heat source.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:55:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Smokeless has it's own oxidiser so you'll have ignition no problem, the biggest problem is barrel and action cooling, there is only radiative cooling in space no convection cooling, you'd have to either actively cool both or have a passive set up worth it via fins and heatsinks. I remember looking this up because of SGU years ago
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:57:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:58:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Normal firearms require lubricants that would turn into wax or freeze in extreme temps in a vacuum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Normal firearms require lubricants that would turn into wax or freeze in extreme temps in a vacuum.
There are lubricants and coatings available which resolve this. It isn't 1951 anymore.

here is vacuum welding,
Solved with proper lubricants and finishes.

expansion and contraction of metal under the sunlight and shade temperature differentials that breaks shit.
Easily solved with proper aluminized exterior finishes and a few strategically placed patches of insulation. Also a thermal-blanket weapon case/sheath could be built tomorrow and would protect a firearm in space until needed.

Spare mags would need to be kept in thermally insulating mag pouches too. Nothing aluminized mylar and dacron can't fix.

Everyone always thinks space requires space-proof hardware. It does not. It requires some cheap crap between you and space:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:00:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I guess your optic could have a pretty simple reticle, no BDC or Mildot necessary without gravity.
View Quote
Fixing the canted sight plane will be a bitch though. Guns aren't built with parallel to bore sights.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:01:53 AM EDT
[#41]
As for what range for zero, I’d recommend a 100 lightyear zero.  The bullet drop at 100 light years in free space is a good baseline to go off of
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:22:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ok. Guns work just fine in vacuum. No external oxygen required.
Assuming microgravity, point blank is infinite, no velocity loss for any range, practically speaking. No bullet drop. No windage. It's pure ballistics and relative velocity. NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TRAJECTORY OF BULLET WEIGHTS. The only difference is time of flight, which for practical calculations, is a constant relative to velocity.

Issues:
1. You will need to set the sight, whichever you choose, to perfectly flat. No more setting zero with an assumed upward bore axis. Line of sight and line of bore will now be parallel.
2. Rather than figuring bullet drop, and windage for conditions, plus a moving target when applicable, now you need only figure relative velocity.

3. IMHO, tracers, 100% tracers, would be best for standard issue ammo. Tracers lead back to the shooter, so a delay burn is better. Say, ignition at 100 yards.
4. A highly variable, highly magnified scope would be nice, but really, a long burn tracer and iron sight would be even better. A 3000 meter burn would be great. Remember, bullet weight and ballistic coefficient no longer apply. Pack the tracer compound in there. Basically, if you can see it, you can hit it, virtually, forever. You can double the bullet length of a 5.56, use it all for extra tracer compound, and that measly 2200 MV is still 2199 fps at 3000 yards, in space.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:22:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
No.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:23:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mass matters, as does the first law.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:24:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This yet Newton's Law is still in effect. So how effective would it be? 0G and something that propels a round what would happen? Rocket type projectiles are better for space.
View Quote
Wow, this thread is going to be riddled with derp, isn't it?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:25:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Both will be fine. Holy shit, it's worse than I thought.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:27:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Cosmonaut find laugh at puny AR-15 :

14.5mm auto cannon supposedly fired in space by Soviets

Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:28:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
gyrojet will return
View Quote
NO NO NO NO NO, jeebus.
Rockets that take off slowly and accelerate are only necessary or beneficial when starting from a gravity well. Jules Verne's gun would have worked fine orbiting at L5. Just make it double ended, and the forces equal from both directions.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:29:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I say go for a low height over bore optics setup, and zero so that the optic is set parallel to the bore.

The trajectory would be so flat up there that training to shoot knowing that impact will be a near fixed point below the sight/optic, would likely be easier than setting an intersect point at some distance and the requirement of varying hold-under's.

Without bullet drop, parallel just seems simpler than playing with angles
View Quote
Thank the Lord, at least one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:30:25 AM EDT
[#50]
but what if you happened to be stationed in geosynchronous orbit over NY?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top