Link Posted: 6/17/2006 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've heard it before, but still funny!

So have I  - but I love that story.

Link Posted: 6/17/2006 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Wonder what type of replacement we have flying in it's place now?

YES! DITTO!

I'm sick and tired of all these pussy-UAV's...

The .gov is DUE to reveal a new cool "top secret"/"black project" aircraft now:

60's/70's = SR-71 Blackbird
80's = F-117 Nighthawk
90's = B-2 Spirit

00's = <Aurora? Blackstar? B-3? X-men jet?>
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#3]
SR-71 video:
easylink.playstream.com/flighttv/SR-71/2006-6-6_sr-71_ny-to-london_farnborough1.wvx

Video: Existence of secret 'Aurora' hypersonic sucessor to SR-71 Blackbird 'revealed' in UK defence ministry UFO report
By Justin Wastnage in London

Followers of the much-speculated US Aurora hypersonic military jet received a boost today thanks to closer reading of a recently declassified UK defence ministry report into unidentified flying objects (UFOs).

UK broadcaster BBC picked through the Unidentified Aerial Phenomena in the UK Air Defence Region report, written between 1996-2000 by a Ministry of Defence intelligence expert and kept secret until last month. The broadcaster's showcase television news analysis programme Newsnight claims that although released under the country's freedom of information act, parts that remain censored lend credibility to claims that the US military has developed a cryogenic fuel-powered successor to the SR-71 Blackbird supersonic jet.

A triangular jet with top speeds of Mach 6, thought to have been dubbed Aurora at one time, has long been believed to have been developed as part of the USA's Special Access, or "black" programmes. The Aurora is likely to be have been developed by Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works for Special Access programmes, located in Groom Lake, Nevada.

Many sightings of UFOs have been spotted over Groom Lake, leading enthusiasts to identify their spottings as alien spacecraft rather than super-advanced aircraft. The Groom Lake military range is also known as Area 51.

Several sightings of the Aurora (an airtist's impression of which is pictured above) have been reported among UFO enthusiasts in the UK's sector of the North Sea, as the Special Access project team is believed to have tested the aircraft over the North Atlantic to avoid the hypersonic boom, or skyquakes, heard over the Californian Pacific coast off Los Angeles as the aircraft headed home after test sorties.

The UK government has censored what appears to be a reference to these sightings from the newly-released report. US officials have never acknowledged the existence of the programme and the UK government has routinely denied any prior knowledge of US black projects.

However Newsnight found two omissions to the censor's pen, buried deep in the UFO report, which stated that the US Air Force plans to produce "highly supersonic vehicles at M4-6" as well as hypersonic unmanned air vehicles. It also reports a USAF priority plan to produce an air-breathing aircraft with a M8-12 capability.  Two photographs have been blacked out on the public version of the once-top secret report and several paragraphs of text also been crossed through

Aurora's predecessor, the SR-71, performed a series of record-setting flights in the mid-1970s including New York to London and London to Los Angeles, a distance of 8,795km (4,754nm), which the aircraft flew in 3h47min. The following video, from Lockheed Martin, shows the aircraft on public display at the 1974 Farnborough air show ahead of the flights as well as the record-breaking sortie.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Whoa
i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/Voodoochile65/SR71-10.jpg

Holy shit!! New desktop!

I've heard the first story before. These SR71 threads are great. I'd so love to find a resonably priced copy of Sled Driver.

Paul Crickmore's first book on the SR71 had a story about Skunkworks having problems finding colored paint (for the USAF and star and bar markings - required by internation law) that would take the high heat. It all burned off during each flight. Finally one frustrated engineer blurted out in a meeting "Why bother? Who's going to be that high up to see who it is?"
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Whoa
i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/Voodoochile65/SR71-10.jpg

Holy shit!! New desktop!

+1. New desktop as of right now.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#7]
the inspiration for this, drone and all

Link Posted: 6/17/2006 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Anyone else have more 6+ information/speculation? I have never heard of this before.

Back in the 80s I was working on Perkin-Elmer mainframe computers.  One of my coworkers was an ex-Air Force crypto tech, stationed mostly in Germany.  He used to talk about his duty station which was this giant blockhouse of a building that required you to go through three seperate vault doors to get the the main room.  Once inside it looked like a large gymnasium, totally open, rows and rows of machines, with catwalks up high all around the room that were always manned by guards armed with M16s.  When he first arrived he felt like it was the safest place to be stationed in Cold War Europe with all those armed guards around to protect him.  He soon found out that in case the facility was overrun the guard's primary mission was to make sure none of the crypto techs fell into enemy hands by shooting them all.

One day we were talking about the SR71 and he mentioned that he used to see a lot of the mission reports that were filed after flights over Russia and Eastern Europe.  Then he made the comment "Oh, and you know how they claim it'll do Mach 3?  From the reports I saw it'll easily do twice that."
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wonder what type of replacement we have flying in it's place now?

YES! DITTO!

I'm sick and tired of all these pussy-UAV's...

The .gov is DUE to reveal a new cool "top secret"/"black project" aircraft now:

60's/70's = SR-71 Blackbird
80's = F-117 Nighthawk
90's = B-2 Spirit

00's = <Aurora? Blackstar? B-3? X-men jet?>

Actually, the B-2 was revealed in 1988 IIRC. The F-117 was a 70s project.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Back in the 80s I was working on Perkin-Elmer mainframe computers.  One of my coworkers was an ex-Air Force crypto tech, stationed mostly in Germany.  He used to talk about his duty station

You slapped him for that right?

Just because you stop working with classified material doesn't mean it stops being classified.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

True, both the B-2 and F-117 were revealed publicly in the 80's. My mistake on the B-2.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True, both the B-2 and F-117 were revealed publically in the 80's. My mistake on the B-2.

I don't think we revealed anything in the 90s. The ATF program originated in the 80s and was public pretty much the whole time.

Kinda disappointing.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What was the purpose of the drone?

Operational ability over denied areas.

which turned out to be no where on earth.

Link Posted: 6/17/2006 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The capabilities of this aircraft are so fantastic that I find it hard to believe they retired it without something even more awesome operational.

Yeah, me too. They gave up on the SR-71 without so much as a peep. When did you ever hear of any big mil system being shut down without a bunch of howling about it unless there was something replacing it?
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't have the tech specs that the rest of you have, but my first model rocket was in the shape of a SR-71 and there is a beauty parked right down the street at Eglin A.F.B museum.  It is just dead sexy.....................The love affair continues.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#16]
They got one of these down the road from me in the Air and Space Annex Mueseum over by Dulles, in Northern VA.

Right next to the Space Shuttle Enterprise.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
99.999% chance this is utter bullshit, yet funny:

A USAF SR-71, callsign "Habu 21". He gets on the radio and asks a controller, who obviously doesn't know exactly what aircraft he is dealing with, for clearance to FL680.

"Center, Habu 21, request flight level six eight zero"

"Habu 21, Center. . . sir, if you think you can make it, you're cleared to flight level six eight zero. . .and please advise when reaching."

"Center, Habu 21. Roger, descending to flight level six eight zero and will advise."  

The only reason I think it bull is because as best as I know the ATC only controls up to FL600, so they would never clear to FL680.

But, these go to eleven...

It goes higher...

Highest that I will admit to seeing is FL800 on a scope...
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The capabilities of this aircraft are so fantastic that I find it hard to believe they retired it without something even more awesome operational.

Yeah, me too. They gave up on the SR-71 without so much as a peep. When did you ever hear of any big mil system being shut down without a bunch of howling about it unless there was something replacing it?

Clinton era Air Force politics, plain and simple.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I don't have the tech specs that the rest of you have, but my first model rocket was in the shape of a SR-71 and there is a beauty parked right down the street at Eglin A.F.B museum.  It is just dead sexy.....................The love affair continues.

I see that beauty when we go to Ft. Walton Beach. We also have one up here at the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center.

Edited for spelling.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyone else have more 6+ information/speculation? I have never heard of this before.

Back in the 80s I was working on Perkin-Elmer mainframe computers.  One of my coworkers was an ex-Air Force crypto tech, stationed mostly in Germany.  He used to talk about his duty station which was this giant blockhouse of a building that required you to go through three seperate vault doors to get the the main room.  Once inside it looked like a large gymnasium, totally open, rows and rows of machines, with catwalks up high all around the room that were always manned by guards armed with M16s.  When he first arrived he felt like it was the safest place to be stationed in Cold War Europe with all those armed guards around to protect him.  He soon found out that in case the facility was overrun the guard's primary mission was to make sure none of the crypto techs fell into enemy hands by shooting them all.

One day we were talking about the SR71 and he mentioned that he used to see a lot of the mission reports that were filed after flights over Russia and Eastern Europe.  Then he made the comment "Oh, and you know how they claim it'll do Mach 3?  From the reports I saw it'll easily do twice that."

I heard they'll do Mach 6 as well.  A person posted how some SR-71 pilots used to wear caps that had the number 6 on them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#22]
When I was a kid my dad took me to a local Air show where we were lucky enough to see one fly.The one thing I remembered when it flew was how LOUD that sucker was.It was twice as loud as the regular military jets.Also when it flew it did a few passes for the crowd and at the end it did a full after burner run and pulled straight up into the sky until we couldnt see it no more.The commentator said he was off to catch a tanker and after that we never did get to see one fly again.This was back in 1984-85 I think.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

www.jrxtoys.de/images/gfg/jesper_gfg_JRX/toys/gi-joe/vehicles/1986/NIGHTRAVEN_1.jpg

COBRA!!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#24]
What do you think was the ceiling for the SR? The books say "90+"...
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard they'll do Mach 6 as well.  A person posted how some SR-71 pilots used to wear caps that had the number 6 on them.

Taken from: Blackbirds.net

SR-71 Myths and Legends

*  So how fast does the SR-71 really go.......?

The fastest published speed of the SR is Mach 3.5. There are several factors that limit the speed of the SR, one is the shock waves generated by various parts of the plane, at around Mach 3.6- 3.8 the shock wave off the nose of the aircraft narrows enough to go into the engine, while there is the inlet spike (which slows the air to subsonic before it enters the engine), the shock wave bypasses the spike and causes the engine to unstart.

Second is the heat generated by the plane moving through the atmosphere, even titanium has it's limits, and the heat generated by the SR brings the fuselage to the brink. Just recently I found out that during a Lockheed Skunk Works study to see how much money and development it would take to get the SR to go faster than it's designed top speed 3.2- 3.5, the designers discovered (among other things) that the metal divider between the windshield was heating up so much above mach 3.5 that it was affecting the integrity of the windshield, and at that point they had stretched the glass technology to the max! So Mach 3.2 to a max of 3.5.

Now according to Richard Graham: "The design Mach number of the SR-71 is 3.2 Mach. When authorized by the Commander, speeds up to Mach 3.3 may be flown if the CIT limit of 427 degrees C. is not exceeded. I have heard of crews reaching 3.5 Mach inadvertently, but that is the absolute maximum I am aware of."

* How high does the SR really fly, and do the Pilot and RSO get astronaut wings after flying the SR?

The SR doesn't fly quite that high, the highest altitude I've heard attributed to the SR was 100,00 ft (18.93 miles), all the Air Force and Lockheed admit to is above 80,000 ft. To get astronaut wings you have to fly at least 264,000 ft (50 miles). Which the SR (even though it's a fantastic aircraft) doesn't get close to that altitude!

Richard Graham contributes: The SR-71s engines require a sufficient quantity of air in order to operate. The maximum altitude limit is 85,000 feet unless a higher altitude is specifically authorized. Again, I have heard of crews inadvertently reaching 87,000 feet, but no higher.

* So what does it cost to fly the SR-71?

There are lots of numbers floating around about how much it costs to fly the SR, I've heard figures over $100,000 an hour to fly the SR-71, and a $1,000,000 a picture. The figures are all over the place, it's especially hard, because you can figure it so many different ways....do you include Tanker support, flight proficiency ops (SR "B" model and T-38), and numerous other expenses. I like to figure it as what it actually costs to fly the airplane itself, no training, tanker support, etc. So with that said.....The numbers that I've been told by people that know is $38,000 per flying hour. The costs can be lower to a rock bottom price of $27,000 per hour if the annual flying time gets above 300 hours total. So the actual cost is probably somewhere in between 38 and 27 thousand an hour.

Well after the latest Wings episode "Spyplanes" on recently, some interesting errors! Well here goes....

* "The SR takes off with almost dry tanks"

Well not exactly empty, the SRs tanks hold 80,000 lbs. of fuel, the SR-71 usually takes off with 45,000 lbs. of fuel on board. Not what I call almost dry! The SR takes off with either 45,000 lbs., 55,000 lbs., or 65,000 lbs. of fuel. Almost all flights are refueled by KC-135Q's (now "T"), there are a few exceptions though... one was called the "Rocket Ride", which were flown from Kadena AB, Okinawa and then on to Northern Korea, on 65,000 lbs of fuel. The only SRs that launched with a full fuel load were the test flights from Palmdale, CA.

Is it an accurate debunking of the myths/legends surrounding the Habu?  Who knows.

BC

Link Posted: 6/17/2006 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Is it an accurate debunking of the myths/legends surrounding the Habu? Who knows.

Since the SR-71's capabilities are STILL classified, I do not believe what this fellow is saying.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#27]
That was just one of about 4-8 stories I got in an email from my father-in-law either this week or last.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Back in the 80s I was working on Perkin-Elmer mainframe computers.  One of my coworkers was an ex-Air Force crypto tech, stationed mostly in Germany.  He used to talk about his duty station

You slapped him for that right?
Just because you stop working with classified material doesn't mean it stops being classified.

Well, it all depends on what he was yapping about. If all he said was that he was a crypto-tech, it's
all good. I was a COMSEC tech & repairman on my first enlistment, and that's no state secret. I just
can't tell any more details than that....

And that clearance is how I got the job I hold today.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#29]
My Dad worked for Lockheed as a parts inspection and QC manager, and in the mid 80's he spent about 4 weeks a year in CA on some work with Skunkworks.  He took the classified status of the info seriously, and didn't say much about it, but some of the stuff he did tell me was extremely cool (most of which has already been posted... not including the 6+ stuff.  He told me that one of the pilots said that he had seen several sunrises/sunsets in one work "day", I want to say 5 but I can't remember for sure.  Unfortunately I can't ask as he's not with us anymore.  

ETA: I don't mean to say that they did 5 "laps" in a day, but that their path was such that the were back and forth over the sunrise point several times.  I'm no mathematician but I feel safe in saying that the idea of 5 "laps" is out of the question.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Even though this has nothing to do with the SR-71, I still think this is a funny story.

A friend of mine used to fly F-4's in the Air Force.  One of his IP's was a Vietnam vet who flew F-4s during Linebacker '72.  They happened along a flight of B-52s going back to Thailand and decided to mess with them a bit.  They came up on the BUFF's freq and asked the 52's if they would like to do some aerobatics and tricks. A B-52 pilot answered, "Sure, you guys go first."  That said, the F-4 pilots did a bunch of loops, Immelmans, split s' and rolls.  Then the F-4 guys said, "Ok BUFF's, your turn."  A few minutes passed and the flight of B-52s kept plodding along doing nothing.  The F-4 guys said, "Aren't you going to do anything?"  A B-52 pilot answered up with, "Yeah, didnt you see?"  "We all turned two engines off!"  The F-4 pilots just headed home.

The version I've heard of that one is when asked what they did the BUFF guy replies... took a crap, read the newspaper, had lunch and put a pot of coffee on.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Tag for to save the pic to the HD when I get home.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I read a book (Rich's "Skunk Works") in which a story is told about problems the SR pilots had with violent engine flameouts and restarts.  In one incident, an SR-71 had both engines flame out, lost serious altitude, and managed to restart its engine a few thousand feet above the ground.  Apparently, the shockwave from the engine restart knocked over an industrial  smokestack and killed a guy.

"Skunk Works" from Amazon: ($10, and a cool book):

www.amazon.com/gp/product/0316743003/sr=8-1/qid=1150611932/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0830919-1745500?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Edited to add:  Holy Crow!  The official SR-71 flight manual is available online (1,052 pages):

www.sr-71.org/blackbird/manual/
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#34]
i had a post awhile back that showed 2 sr-71s at some airfield out west somewhere parked out (where they are "out of commission........."

someone joked "great, now you are going to force the government to go and check all their stuff even better"            - i just loaded up google earth again after a few months and i had that pinpoint still saved.  so i go zoom in and guess what

they arent there

edit: and for your viewing pleasure.  these were taken near Eglin AFB in florida, they have a little museum with some planes and stuff just off the base

we lifted my roommate up for a seat in the back of the engine.  then promptly got in trouble for "climbing on the aircraft"
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
For anyone who passes through the Richmond Va area, there is an SR71 parked in front of the Virginia Aviation Museum.

Virginia Aviation Museum

This was taken shortly after it's arrival in Richmond.

Link Posted: 6/17/2006 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
i had a post awhile back that showed 2 sr-71s at some airfield out west somewhere parked out (where they are "out of commission........."

someone joked "great, now you are going to force the government to go and check all their stuff even better"            - i just loaded up google earth again after a few months and i had that pinpoint still saved.  so i go zoom in and guess what

they arent there

Yeah, at Edwards AFB, I think they were the NASA ones though.  I thought I was the only one to notice.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#37]
I think there's still one on the deck of the USS Intrepid in NY harbor (around 44th street, I think, and the Hudson River).

Link Posted: 6/17/2006 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

www.jrxtoys.de/images/gfg/jesper_gfg_JRX/toys/gi-joe/vehicles/1986/NIGHTRAVEN_1.jpg

Awesome I just found my night raven earlier today cleaning out the garage.  Still in great condition!
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Other funny pilot stories:
-----------------------------------------
In another famous SR-71 story, Los Angeles Center reported receiving a request for clearance to FL 600 (60,000ft). The incredulous controller, with some disdain in his voice, asked, "How do you plan to get up to 60,000 feet? The pilot (obviously a sled driver), responded, "We don't plan to go up to it; we plan to go down to it." He was cleared.

----------------------
The pilot was sitting in his seat and pulled out a .38 revolver. He placed it on top of the instrument panel, and then asked the navigator, "Do you know what I use this for?" The navigator replied timidly, "No, what's it for?" The pilot responded, "I use this on navigators who get me lost!" The navigator proceeded to pull out a .45 and place it on his chart table. The pilot asked, "What's that for?" "To be honest sir," the navigator replied, "I'll know we're lost before you will."
When Hillary Clinton visited Iraq last month the Army Blackhawk helicopter used to transport the Senator was given the call sign "Broomstick One". And they say the Army has no sense of humor!

Tower: "Delta 351, you have traffic at 10 o'clock, 6 miles!" Delta 351:"Give us another hint! We have digital watches!"

One day the pilot of a Cherokee 180 was told by the tower to hold short of the runway while a MD80 landed. The MD80 landed, rolled out, turned around, and taxied back past the Cherokee. Some quick-witted comedian in the MD80 crew got on the radio and said, "What a cute little plane. Did you make it all by yourself?" Our hero the Cherokee pilot, not about to let the insult go by, came back with: "I made it out of MD80 parts. Another landing like that and I'll have enough parts for another one."
There's a story about the military pilot calling for a priority landing because his single-engine jet fighter was running "a bit peaked." Air Traffic Control told the fighter jock that he was number two behind a B-52 that had one engine shut down. "Ah," the pilot remarked, "the dreaded seven-engine approach."
A student became lost during a solo cross-country flight. While attempting to locate the aircraft on radar, ATC asked, "What was your last known position?" Student: "When I was number one for takeoff."

Taxiing down the tarmac, the 757 abruptly stopped, turned around and returned to the gate. After an hour-long wait, it finally took off. A concerned passenger asked the flight attendant, "What was the problem?" "The pilot was bothered by a noise he heard in the engine," explained the flight attendant," and it took us a while to find a new pilot."
"Flight 2341, for noise abatement, turn right 45 degrees." "But Center, we are at 35,000 feet. How much noise can we make up here?" "Sir, have you ever heard the noise a 747 makes when it hits a 727?

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 12:39:27 AM EDT
[#40]
/\ LMFAO!!!!

"I made it out of MD80 parts. Another landing like that and I'll have enough parts for another one."

Owned!
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 1:21:00 AM EDT
[#41]
I had the pleasure of visiting Beale AFB back in 1999 as part of the CAP National Flight Academy.  I had a blast at Beale, and I had a chance to to within touching distance of an SR-71 and Drone ( on static display ).  I'd jump at another chance to go again.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 5:40:05 AM EDT
[#42]
I've heard several claims on the top speed of the -71, but the one I've heard the most is around 3.8.  Its one of my favorite air planes!
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 6:26:20 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

iirc, USAF cancelled program

congress voted to allocate funding and THE USAF TURNED DOWN THE $$$$

that was proof enough of aurora to me
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 6:30:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Good stuff.

Max
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm...it was G.H.W. Bush who canceled the SR-71 program, just in time for the Gulf War.

Now was it replaced by something new and better and faster? I don't know. But remember that Bush I was formerly a CIA Director and the CIA really seems to believe in satellites. I find it plausible that the plane was axed without a replacement.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 6:56:48 AM EDT
[#47]
I wonder it the Soviets had anything remotely equivalent to do their recon.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:43:10 AM EDT
[#48]
The state of Alabama has more Blackbirds than any other state except for California; three total.  One each in Huntsville, Birmingham and Mobile.  None of them are SR-71's though.

Another funny story, from Kelly Johnson's book:  When Kelly was designing the BB, he needed a high temp hydraulic oil.  He called a supplier  for some and they said, yeah we got some that will meet those temps, want a sample? Kelly asked for a sample and it arrived a week later - in a 50 lb sack.  It was solid at room temperature.  Developing high temp hydraulic oil was another technoligical feat that the Skunk Works had to overcome.

Another:  My old lead on AWACS used to work in S Cal on the B-70 project for Rockwell/North American.  He said that while manufacturing titanium parts for the B-70, they would mysteriously disappear.  He said it wasn't 20 years later, he found out that they were actually going to the BB program.

Merlin
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Even though this has nothing to do with the SR-71, I still think this is a funny story.

A friend of mine used to fly F-4's in the Air Force.  One of his IP's was a Vietnam vet who flew F-4s during Linebacker '72.  They happened along a flight of B-52s going back to Thailand and decided to mess with them a bit.  They came up on the BUFF's freq and asked the 52's if they would like to do some aerobatics and tricks. A B-52 pilot answered, "Sure, you guys go first."  That said, the F-4 pilots did a bunch of loops, Immelmans, split s' and rolls.  Then the F-4 guys said, "Ok BUFF's, your turn."  A few minutes passed and the flight of B-52s kept plodding along doing nothing.  The F-4 guys said, "Aren't you going to do anything?"  A B-52 pilot answered up with, "Yeah, didnt you see?"  "We all turned two engines off!"  The F-4 pilots just headed home.

The version I've heard of that one is when asked what they did the BUFF guy replies... took a crap, read the newspaper, had lunch and put a pot of coffee on.

No, that's the C-130 / C-141 / C-5 / C-17 pilot.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top