Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When Arts can pay as much as the others then they can add.  But I don't think that will ever happen.
View Quote
I know a guy who works in the arts, makes about $175k per year and drives a Lamborghini. Actually, he was getting ready to buy his second Lamborghini last time I talked to him a couple months ago.

I know another guy who works in the arts, makes $190k per year and drives two Porches, but he's an absolute, royal ass hole.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know a guy who works in the arts, makes about $175k per year and drives a Lamborghini. Actually, he was getting ready to buy his second Lamborghini last time I talked to him a couple months ago.

I know another guy who works in the arts, makes $190k per year and drives two Porches, but he's an absolute, royal ass hole.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When Arts can pay as much as the others then they can add.  But I don't think that will ever happen.

I've been arguing for the arts up until this point, but now you've changed my mind.  $175k/yr is not enough to drive a Lamborghini, much less two of them.   He needs some STEM in his life
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've been arguing for the arts up until this point, but now you've changed my mind.  $175k/yr is not enough to drive a Lamborghini, much less two of them.   He needs some STEM in his life
View Quote
He's divorced, no kids, has no house, lives on the road as a touring sound guy for Broadway theatre shows. All he does is pocket his money. Has been on the road for over 20 years, and never went to college so he has no student loans.

And he bought his first Lambo used.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
STEM = technicians who obey those with vision.

A = those with vision.

View Quote
Can you think of any non STEM that has put anything into space?  Vision, wouldn't it be cool if.. STEM, I'm going to do this, just because I can.

Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Can you think of any non STEM that has put anything into space?  Vision, wouldn't it be cool if.. STEM, I'm going to do this, just because I can.

View Quote
Would we even think about going into space if it weren't for the imaginations of writers and artists from time immemorial  ?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
STEM = technicians who obey those with vision.

A = those with vision.

Of course, they go hand in hand.  There would be no space travel without the likes of Jules Verne to first imagine it.  Nor without the engineers to build his vision.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#7]
We wouldn't be dealing with this dreck if we had voluntary, free market education.  Parents wouldn't pay to have their kid's brains neutered.  Schools would probably have meaningful security as well. Compulsory education is the very model of the totalitarian state (Charlotte Iserbyt).

In product development it's a lot easier for engineers to get style support from artists than it is for artists to get (what they imagine is) engineering support from engineers.  That's because physics and nature pretty much dictates that form follows function.  Artists who work with actual physical forms and materials don't have this problem as much as the concept infatuated fantasists.

This STEAM movement is just a commie diversity push to take an objective field and pussify it.  Whenever you have a diverse group of people dialoging to consensus the stress relieving tendency is to move from conscience (Latin for with knowledge, facts) to consensus ( with sensation/emotions). Classic Frankfurt School commie dialectic subversion.  Diversity is the energy to drive groups from positional orientation (patriarchal, didactic, factual) to relationship orientation (matriarchal, ambiguous, emotional) in order to keep the peace. It's what moms do.  And the nanny state.  Occupations that are fact based are an impediment to social transformation.  This doesn't bode well for critical infrastructure SLEP or replacement.  The bridge to the future will likely have some seriously pathological resonances.

What do I know?  Math is just a Northern European hegemonic tool of patriarchal oppression.  Going back to the loading bench now....F=m*A.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They still have their vision because they didn't spend their time doing all that math homework.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Delusions is more like it.  
View Quote
in the words of the philosopher, "i've worked too hard for my illusions just to throw them all away" (rose, axl: 1991)
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Gotta include the blue hairs or they will cry.   Science and math are hard.   Throw some period blood on a canvas and call it deviant art.

Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Would we even think about going into space if it weren't for the imaginations of writers and artists from time immemorial  ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and @999monkeys I guess y'all are right, the globe was not navigated by someone looking at the stars, a guy understanding physics, they never would have thought to go up or down if it weren't for a fictional book.  Arts are cool, but secondary to getting the job done.  Did an artist think about a big mushroom cloud or an engineer figure out how to make one first.  The pictures taken with cameras are very nice, art didn't design the camera though.  The sea is beautiful, do you want to sail in a shipnbuilt by an artist or engineer?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Gotta include the blue hairs or they will cry.   Science and math are hard.   Throw some period blood on a canvas and call it deviant art.

http://blonlee.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/apo-blue.jpg
View Quote
We in the arts use the term blue hairs to refer to very old audience members, those who are usually between the ages of 65 and 120+, the ones who usually make up the vast majority of audiences for opera, ballet, symphonies and theatre performances. So, those would be baby boomers and the greatest generationers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#13]
The drama between technicians and artists is getting old.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
He's divorced, no kids, has no house, lives on the road as a touring sound guy for Broadway theatre shows. All he does is pocket his money. Has been on the road for over 20 years, and never went to college so he has no student loans.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes him one of the T's in STEM.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#15]
TL;DR

The A was added to STEM because the Leftist Educational Establishment (most of whom couldn’t earn a post-grad degree in ANY STEM discipline if they pooled their entire family’s talent in that area) couldn’t stand the fact that their cherished Liberal Arts curriculum was being shown to be, well, worthless in the real world.

TC
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

and @999monkeys I guess y'all are right, the globe was not navigated by someone looking at the stars, a guy understanding physics, they never would have thought to go up or down if it weren't for a fictional book.  Arts are cool, but secondary to getting the job done.  Did an artist think about a big mushroom cloud or an engineer figure out how to make one first.  The pictures taken with cameras are very nice, art didn't design the camera though.  The sea is beautiful, do you want to sail in a shipnbuilt by an artist or engineer?
View Quote
everything in life begins and ends as a story.  STEM is merely the toolbox.  the arts--all the different forms of storytelling, in all the different senses--are why we do what we do.

on a different note, as @Bohr_Adam points out, the USSR placed an overwhelming emphasis on STEM and were deeply afraid of the arts and humanities, because the technical guys were easy to control while the arts threatened the foundations of communism.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
everything in life begins and ends as a story.  STEM is merely the toolbox.  the arts--all the different forms of storytelling, in all the different senses--are why we do what we do.

on a different note, as @Bohr_Adam points out, the USSR placed an overwhelming emphasis on STEM and were deeply afraid of the arts and humanities, because the technical guys were easy to control while the arts threatened the foundations of communism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are confusing your order of operations.

For example, people first imagine a building, then they build it.  It is impossible to build anything meaningful unless it is first imagined.

Even if I were to pick up a box of legos and just start building, I would need visualize how the next pieces should come together to result in anything but an abstract mess.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Technician?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A being Agriculture is the only use I've ever heard of.  Ag definitely fits into the STEM fields.
View Quote
I would think agriculture falls under science and technology. I don't see the need to change the acronym to clarify that agriculture is part of it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.studioknitsf.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/FullSizeRender-2.jpg
you're right--pussy is also a motivator.  if you're a STEM guy, you've probably heard stories about guys from other departments getting pussy.

come to the dark side!

Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

For example, people first imagine a building, then they build it.  It is impossible to build anything meaningful unless it is first imagined.

Even if I were to pick up a box of legos and just start building, I would need visualize how the next pieces should come together to result in anything but an abstract mess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No disrespect, do you really think engineers don't think about what they want to create?  Erything I build is imagined and designed in my head before starting.  All engineers poses this ability, the same can not be said for the A that want to put an idea into reality.  I'm glade y'all exist, it allows me to decorate my stuff with things of interest.  My favorite class in school was physics.  Art can't answer the questions answered in the, if I throw this ball with this much force, at this angle, where exactly will it land?  Simple math tells me the answer.  Art, I buy it if I like it, hang it where I like.  An infinite mirror, research it, build my own because I understand exactly how it works, or just buy one.  Build a high HP car, I did it because I could.  legos
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
you're right--pussy is also a motivator.  if you're a STEM guy, you've probably heard stories about guys from other departments getting pussy.

come to the dark side!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.studioknitsf.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/FullSizeRender-2.jpg

come to the dark side!

I was in a science, engineering, architecture fraternity.  Got lots of tang related to the house and outside of the house.  Got lots of tang before even getting into college.  I shit you not, I'm surprised I made it out of that fuck fest with my dick intact.  You ever do two chicks at once?  I have lived a good life, and can calculate a lot of things too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Artists and autists?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool.

My wife makes more than both of them with a biology degree

She drives a 2008 Nissan Rogue
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I was in a science, engineering, architecture fraternity.  Got lots of tang related to the house and outside of the house.  Got lots of tang before even getting into college.  I shit you not, I'm surprised I made it out of that fuck fest with my dick intact.  You ever do two chicks at once?  I have lived a good life, and can calculate a lot of things too.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No disrespect, do you really think engineers don't think about what they want to create?  Erything I build is imagined and designed in my head before starting.  All engineers poses this ability, the same can not be said for the A that want to put an idea into reality.  I'm glade y'all exist, it allows me to decorate my stuff with things of interest.  My favorite class in school was physics.  Art can't answer the questions answered in the, if I throw this ball with this much force, at this angle, where exactly will it land?  Simple math tells me the answer.  Art, I buy it if I like it, hang it where I like.  An infinite mirror, research it, build my own because I understand exactly how it works, or just buy one.  Build a high HP car, I did it because I could.  legos
View Quote
Engineers are great. I hire them by the hour.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood.  But the point being that in the imagination phase you are yourself acting as an artist.  That is art.  Art is not limited to something you hang on your wall.

Engineering is useless in a vacuum.

Note, I'm not an artist (my skillset is universally despised by both the STEM and the A), but it's an interesting discussion
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I like anything Big Bang, but art is much cooler here

Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#31]

that's awesome!
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

that's awesome!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

that's awesome!
The oil paintings my engineer dad has done are rather jaw dropping to me.  He picked it up later in life.  I probably couldn't out draw a marine in dick picks.  I only have one of them, his walls are covered with them.  For whatever reason, he doesn't sign any of them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Technician?
View Quote
Yeah. If his job is to work handle sound equipment, he's a technician, not an artist.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Cool.

View Quote
With a BS? Or a graduate degree?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool.

BS and does nothing related to biology
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Kind of an important detail
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:06:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but a STEM degree can get your foot in the door a basket weaving degree can't. She started in this field straight out of college
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
No. Mixing shows is an art.

I can teach you how to push all the buttons on a mixing console, but I can't teach you how to make the show sound good. Just like I can teach you how to play all the notes on a saxophone, but I can't teach you how to actually make it sound like music. Art is intrinsic to the human soul, and some people have more of it than others. And some don't have any of it. We call those people engineers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yes, but a STEM degree can get your foot in the door a basket weaving degree can't. She started in this field straight out of college
View Quote
I have a degree in political science and a STEM job. They fired the guy with the civil engineering job and kept me. I find that my degree is useful here too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have a degree in political science and a STEM job. They fired the guy with the civil engineering job and kept me. I find that my degree is useful here too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably something to do with competence and prior work history.

If you were coming straight out of school your resume would have been sorted to the trashcan
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Probably something to do with competence and prior work history.

If you were coming straight out of school your resume would have been sorted to the trashcan
View Quote
Unquestionably. As it was I was hired without them looking at my resume. My reference was sufficient.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:24:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Funding.

With the art departments that I’m use to. There’s no money in hosting the vagina monologues or menstruating on a canvas and calling it “art”. They cannot even put together a basic tile mosaic. Something artists have been doing for the better part of 3000 years. Their great however at screaming their heads off, living “alternative” lives where they fuck anything they want and have more piercings and tattoos than a motorcycle club and will roll out the hysteria “patriarchy is oppressing me” machine to keep their lifestyle going.

Being an artist used to come with the understanding that the shit your doing needs to appeal to your sponsors and at least be easy on the eyes. You also needed to be versed in different materials and processes. Now that’s so not the case.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:35:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Technician?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technician?
Technology, I would include machinists and some other skilled trades in there as well.

I will also add, if you take something like an I-phone, for every industrial designer there are a bunch of engineers to make it work*, and a bunch of people making the tooling to make the parts and even more people making the raw materials needed. That and industrial design isn't really considered "art".

ETA
*based on science, math, rules of thumb and experience.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:52:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I can teach you how to push all the buttons on a mixing console, but I can't teach you how to make the show sound good. Just like I can teach you how to play all the notes on a saxophone, but I can't teach you how to actually make it sound like music. Art is intrinsic to the human soul, and some people have more of it than others. And some don't have any of it. We call those people engineers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, you need to get the sound balanced in an empty venue to sound good in a full venue.  That is experience, not art.  Few people can do it well, that is why he gets paid.  The people preforming are the art part.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:47:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

They still have their vision because they didn't spend their time doing all that math homework.
View Quote
Sorry you had to take "college algebra".

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:16:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Bingo.

Science, Technology, and Math are all closely related. Art?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Funding.

The “arts” didn’t want to get left out of the money pool.
Bingo.

Science, Technology, and Math are all closely related. Art?

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:24:11 AM EDT
[#47]
I know this is an unpopular position, but I do think that art and humanities related degrees are important.

You're gonna have a hard time arguing that linguistics, economics, archaeology, and history majors are bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 6:22:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I know this is an unpopular position, but I do think that art and humanities related degrees are important.

You're gonna have a hard time arguing that linguistics, economics, archaeology, and history majors are bullshit.
View Quote
Damn right! A lot of theoretical linguistics is better served with a background in pure math than anything else. Go do some work in Generative grammar and tell me where your God is now?

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol

Archaeology isn’t even a field, it’s a sub-discipline
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

lol

Archaeology isn’t even a field, it’s a sub-discipline
View Quote
Still humanities.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top