Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep.  Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
View Quote
With the big stick you can splash the water before you before you take a step.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to do a good bit of work in the swamps around SC and I almost always wore waders.  Neoprene waders don't always have a belt but they should fit snugly, non-neoprene waders absolutely need a belt cinched around your waist to keep them from flooding if you should fall.  A wading staff is very handy if you have use of your hands and can use one; I usually didn't as I was either surveying, setting nets, netting shocked fish or using the backpack electrofishing unit.  Use your feet and make sure of your steps as best you can so that you don't drop into any holes or get into bad mud.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Trump, so you can drain that shit and walk on real ground.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
That’s what early Americans did with much of the ground we live on.  They drained that shit.  Using slave labor.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That’s what early Americans did with much of the ground we live on.  They drained that shit.  Using slave labor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the person who put a stop to draining swamps in FLA?

Marjorie Stoneman Douglas

Yes, you've heard that name before and No shit, she is most famous for preventing swamps from being drained
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Fuck swamps. I’ve fallen into holes walking in mud flats in the FL keys looking for Blue crabs. Add gators and not being able to see the bottom? Fuck that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fuck swamps. I’ve fallen into holes walking in mud flats in the FL keys looking for Blue crabs. Add gators and not being able to see the bottom? Fuck that.
View Quote
Walking stick my brother.  You don’t think about it but it’s such a simple solution.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Waders might be as important though.  
View Quote
Until you go in over them and they fill up with water.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#9]
The worst I have ever been disoriented was in a swamp. I usually have a very good sense of direction but trying to get through a bamboo thicket can get you turned around faster than anything. I would recommend a good compass or GPS device and a machete. A staff, as mentioned, is also invaluable.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Walking stick my brother.  You don’t think about it but it’s such a simple solution.
View Quote
I had a mesh net on a pole but I didn’t want to churn up the bottom because then I wouldn’t be able to see the crabs.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Fuck swamps, bogs, mires, fens, marshes, and all other squishy places where goddam snakes live.

ETA: I forgot muskegs and quagmires.

Those too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Fuck swamps, bogs, mires, fens, marshes, and all other squishy places where goddam snakes live.
View Quote
A buddy and I got turned around in a south GA swamp once tracking a deer he had shot, we were in there until well after midnight. After dark it seemed like there was something hiding behind every tree or log we stepped over that would skitter off through the water or grass. I had already seen enough water moccasins and small alligators during the day to know I didn't want to be in that swamp any longer than necessary, I never intended to be there after dark with just a muzzle loader and a cheap plastic flashlight with dying batteries. That night left an impression on me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A buddy and I got turned around in a south GA swamp once tracking a deer he had shot, we were in there until well after midnight. After dark it seemed like there was something hiding behind every tree or log we stepped over that would skitter off through the water or grass. I had already seen enough water moccasins and small alligators during the day to know I didn't want to be in that swamp any longer than necessary, I never intended to be there after dark with just a muzzle loader and a cheap plastic flashlight with dying batteries. That night left an impression on me.
View Quote
Swamps will mess with your head because they are haunted.  Live people don’t go in there so the ghosts love it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#14]
a hippo

Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A good walking sick.  Something that you can use to run off snakes and alligators.
View Quote
As someone who wades swamps regularly, this is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Polish dumplings?
View Quote
^I’m guessing you’re not from Louisiana...
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#17]
"Fuckin' idiot" doesn't even begin to describe that guy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Polish dumplings?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Waders, if you can't have a pirogue.
Polish dumplings?

https://pirogue.com
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What is the number one thing to have when walking through a thick, nasty swamp?
View Quote
Absolutely no knowledge of wrong doing by a Clinton.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Pirouge
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#21]
On the Gulf Coast, mosquitoes, yellow and deer flies, moccasins, alligators and wild hogs are all you have to worry about.  The mosquitos and flies will make you go home before the more dangerous creatures have a chance to.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
On the Gulf Coast, mosquitoes, yellow and deer flies, moccasins, alligators and wild hogs are all you have to worry about.  The mosquitos and flies will make you go home before the more dangerous creatures have a chance to.
View Quote
Until I read your post I had never heard of the Yellow Fly.

Add one to my list of "Damned Things Which Make Me Glad I Live in the North."

Live & learn.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have found if you spray yourself dizzy with DEET spray you can tolerate it as comfortably as being in an air conditioned room.

It’s the constant wading and picking your legs up out of the muck that will beat you down quickly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Polish dumplings?

I really need one of those.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have found if you spray yourself dizzy with DEET spray you can tolerate it as comfortably as being in an air conditioned room.

It’s the constant wading and picking your legs up out of the muck that will beat you down quickly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Bad knees ended my duck hunting career.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#27]
If you master your 'walking on water skills' it's no problem.

I got pretty good, but only in the winter.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Live & learn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Live & learn.
These things, plus ungodly heat and humidity made me want to move north, but my cold natured wife shot that down.  If you’ve never been bitten by one, mosquitoes can be tolerated, but biting flies can’t be ignored.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What is the number one thing to have when walking through a thick, nasty swamp?
View Quote
Pelosi & Schumer repellent.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't forget the dinner plate sized wasp nests.  I have been to some places down here where you were floating in a boat pushing tree limbs out of your way.  The whole time hoping to avoid one of those.  Water only a foot deep on either side.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#31]
A good tall (6') walking stick, machete.

Even the wife has one

Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Napalm
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A good tall (6' or higher) walking stick
View Quote
I think this is the absolute most important item.  Run that bitch naked, but with a big stave.   It so fundamentally basic.

Second is the machete.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:15:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Beer.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think this is the absolute most important item.  Run that bitch naked, but with a big stave.   It so fundamentally basic.

Second is the machete.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A good tall (6' or higher) walking stick

Second is the machete.
Yep walked the Florida swamps for 4 yrs.

They are must have items

kid pic she was 9 in that pic

Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You done fucked up if you're walking.
View Quote
Yeah, people don't think that getting horrible diseases from stagnant water be like it is, but it do.

I don't know how the hell I lived long enough to become an adult.   Or why I liked screwing around in swamps.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yep walked the Florida swamps for 4 yrs.

They are must have items
View Quote
Of course, that is why you understand.  Same swamp runs from Louisiana to Virginia.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#39]
1. Swamp Buggy
2. Airboat
3. Waders, walking stick and grenades
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#40]
If the swamps are in the Mekong Delta....a trustworthy guide named Chin
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Polish dumplings?

Ah, you mean a canoe.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
a trustworthy guide
View Quote
The internet should be all we need these days as long as you plan ahead.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Don't forget the dinner plate sized wasp nests.  I have been to some places down here where you were floating in a boat pushing tree limbs out of your way.  The whole time hoping to avoid one of those.  Water only a foot deep on either side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Forgot those. Makes jumping in the water with moccasins a no brainer.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The internet should be all we need these days as long as you plan ahead.
View Quote
yeah sure but some of those swamps even dialup is sketchy eh?
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yeah, people don't think that getting horrible diseases from stagnant water be like it is, but it do.

I don't know how the hell I lived long enough to become an adult.   Or why I liked screwing around in swamps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You done fucked up if you're walking.

Just don't stay in it all day and put on dry socks etc once you are on high ground.

Swamp is a good place to get away from life
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:38:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

yeah sure but some of those swamps even dialup is sketchy eh?
View Quote
If you ain’t at one bar or zero signal you ain’t getting away.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:43:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Waders. I''d rather be in a boat though.
View Quote
While hunting coon running the swamp, i damn near drowned when I stepped in deep hole water over my head. Waders fill up with water( rubberized waders).
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If it weren't for the snakes and skeeters it would probably be better to wade through in old sneakers and swim trunks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Waders will drown you if you step into a hole. I'd only wear them if I knew the depth wouldn't exceed them like in a rice or crawfish pond. No way would I wear them out in the real swamp.
If it weren't for the snakes and skeeters it would probably be better to wade through in old sneakers and swim trunks.
Pants won't save you. I always just wade off in it and react to holes and logs as necessary.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:52:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Pants won't save you. I always just wade off in it and react to holes and logs as necessary.
View Quote
Yeah, you definitely have to be gentle with each step.  That’s why the stick is so handy so you can feel the bottom.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top