BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don’t see how. A speed reload requires the rifle be out of ammunition and the bolt locked back. If not it’s an admin/tactical reload and the safety should be on.

Aside from the moment you release the magazine, you could be pulling the trigger rapidfire and absolutely nothing can happen. Even when the bolt release drops, the disconnector will not allow the rifle to fire.

That leaves slamfires or intentional trigger pulls
View Quote

It's science that you never move, they never move, and the situation doesn't change during 100% of speed reloads. Neither side takes cover, maneuvers, or gets hit during a speed reload. You are able to speed reload while they continue shooting at you or they have to reload at the same time, making it even. Shooting living targets is placid and predictable.

Additionally, a rifle never stops firing due to any malfunction that could be diagnosed by attempting to safe. No one has ever done a speed reload because their rifle jammed and they assumed it was empty, loading a fresh mag into a jammed rifle while not moving, their threats/targets not taking cover, moving, or hitting each other.

PS I've shot a lot of competitions so I'm an SME on not needing to take cover against targets that don't move and can't kill me. Safety off, anything else is stupid.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You train two ways?

I'm a no-safety kinda guy, but you should probably just pick one and commit.
View Quote

Well, one involves retaining a mag and one doesn't. Do I need to change that too?
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well, one involves retaining a mag and one doesn't. Do I need to change that too?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You train two ways?

Why safety at all? What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Keep that gun ready to operate on targets all the time.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's science that you never move, they never move, and the situation doesn't change during 100% of speed reloads. Neither side takes cover, maneuvers, or gets hit during a speed reload. You are able to speed reload while they continue shooting at you or they have to reload at the same time, making it even. Shooting living targets is placid and predictable.

Additionally, a rifle never stops firing due to any malfunction that could be diagnosed by attempting to safe. No one has ever done a speed reload because their rifle jammed and they assumed it was empty, loading a fresh mag into a jammed rifle while not moving, their threats/targets not taking cover, moving, or hitting each other.

PS I've shot a lot of competitions so I'm an SME on not needing to take cover against targets that don't move and can't kill me. Safety off, anything else is stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t see how. A speed reload requires the rifle be out of ammunition and the bolt locked back. If not it’s an admin/tactical reload and the safety should be on.

Aside from the moment you release the magazine, you could be pulling the trigger rapidfire and absolutely nothing can happen. Even when the bolt release drops, the disconnector will not allow the rifle to fire.

I rotate to observe the chamber when my gun stops firing.[shrug]

It’s interesting, I just grabbed my HD rifle to try a few mag changes with the safety on.

Seems my ambi safety lever hangs up on my pointer finger knuckle due to my grip. This doesn’t really happen normally due to the rifle weight being held by my support hand. When I switch to safe with my muzzle up, my grip is more relaxed

If I thought it was important enough to adapt this practice I’d definitely ditch the ambi selector. I can’t imagine how it is for lefties.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Safety flicking only works when done in between robotic movements.

I’ve gotten rid of all of my Glocks because none of them had a safety. They were just too dangerous.

Also, when I’m recording myself handling guns, I always perform a safety check for the camera so that the viewers can be safe from ND’s.
View Quote

No, you are too dangerous and/or you don't trust yourself to not have a negligent discharge while handling a Glock (or similar pistol or nearly every revolver extant).

Thank you for taking your unsafe self out of the equation. We are all safer for it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It’s interesting, I just grabbed my HD rifle to try a few mag changes with the safety on.

Seems my ambi safety lever hangs up on my pointer finger knuckle due to my grip. This doesn’t really happen normally due to the rifle weight being held by my support hand. When I switch to safe with my muzzle up, my grip is more relaxed

If I thought it was important enough to adapt this practice I’d definitely ditch the ambi selector. I can’t imagine how it is for lefties.
View Quote

I'm left handed and I have a thin lever on the off side.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.  For a decade, I convinced myself that I would not modify anything and train using a standard AR.  Then when I got competitive I needed a faster and more reliable safety for a lefty.  Now all my guns have a 45 degree Talon.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:46:23 AM EDT
[#9]

That was savage? Huh.

Pretty low quality bait trolling, but nothing more and nothing less. GD gonna GD.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:47:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Because snap snap, they eventually run out of ammo, snap, snap.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:57:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It’s funny to see someone say that engaging the safety is a Fudd thing to do when it’s generally poorly trained, or lack there of, Fudds that don’t want to engage it.
View Quote

Where do you engage the safety on a handgun that doesn't have a manual safety while reloading? Are you holstering first, loading a mag, and dropping the slide before taking it back out? Who teachers this?

Or are you insinuating that the our high speed guys are also just as generally poorly trained, or lack thereof, because their issued sidearm is a Glock that has no manual safety?

And how is a fudd that is against gun rights, being associated to people that you're flabbergasted about not wanting to engage the safety during a reload while still engaging a threat?

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 2:28:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Earnest question: has anyone here HONESTLY seen, with their own eyes, an ND during a speedy reload/no safety on? Not a slam fire, but a real trigger pulling ND? I have not, and I did two all expenses paid trips to Iraq in the USMC infantry and done lots of multi-gun comps.

I honestly care zero if the guys in a house clearing team are putting their rifle on safe. I care if they are keeping a finger in the trigger guard or pointing in an unsafe direction.

A couple.

Speed reload was completed, during which the shot timer beeped, as the timer ran out on the drill.  The shooter let his rifle hang on the single point sling, at which time a corner of a pistol mag baseplate on his belt entered the trigger guard, sending a round into the dirt, a couple of inches from his foot.  Second incident was almost identical to the first, but it was something on the vest instead.  Yes, shooters are at fault for allowing objects to creep into the trigger guard, but also for not engaging the safety, which would’ve prevented both incidents.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 2:37:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Never. Am I still trying to shoot something? Then why would the safety be on? Am I done shooting? Then the safety is already on.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 2:45:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Glock dongle safety is always on
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 4:37:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Off.  Train how you fight.
View Quote

I would go with this.

If you have a 1911 you can't engage the safety if in slide lock.

If I am doing a "admin" reload I also would not because I would insert new mag then rack the slide again.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 4:55:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
On.

Good habits aren't always easy. That's no excuse.

If it "takes too long" get an ambi selector and use your trigger finger to go back on safe.

Glocks have a manual safety.
View Quote

No, they don’t.  They have passive safeties.  A manual safety is one that you have to physically engage a lever or button, like on an AR15.  Passive safeties are disengaged with the normal operation of the gun.  They exist to prevent the gun from discharging if dropped or if the trigger isn’t properly engaged.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:01:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Safety off when shooting.  That includes reloads and moving.  When the shooting is over, safety is back on.

If I’m at a fudd range, then I’ll engage the safety whenever their tedious rules require it so that the RSOs aren’t bothering me while shooting.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You train two ways?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
tactical reload = safety on from cover finger off trigger.
speed reload = change mag finger off trigger.

You train two ways?

Well its the way I was taught so its the way I train....

on a square range with no cover safety just stays off muzzle point down range.

tac range with cover the safety goes on seconds before you reach cover (Before you even start to move to cover) so its on during the tac reload.

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top