Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It's aimed at every poster that believes modifying an existing airframe or resurrecting a large, complicated airplane is no more difficult than making and drawing "plans" and slathering some parts together as if it's some sort of hot rod for cruising the beach.

A casual look at the Sky Fox reveals that the only obvious airframe parts retained from a T-33 is the canopy, and maybe the cockpit structure between the forward bulkhead and the rear seat bulkhead.  Now, retaining other components such as the landing gear or even the control sticks, rudder pedals, bellcranks, and so on go a long way to completing an airplane (when the airframe structure is complete, only 90% of the work remains), but all of that has to be incorporated to function in the new airplane, and they probably won't without massive modifications.

The idea of converting a Lear to tandem seating is too laughable for comment.  Same with hanging two engines on the outside of the fuselage of an F-86; that one isn't even remotely clever.

The Lear 24 comment was a comparison to the previously mentioned T-33 and F-86 conversions (from single engine planes with late 1940's to early 1950's engines, to twin engine planes with more modern engines).  The T-33 conversion moved the horizontal tail higher up, to get it clear of the exhaust and turbulence from the engines.  The same would have to be done for the F-86.  So in addition to having to rework the structure to support two engines hanging off the sides, horizontal and vertical tail surfaces would have to be redesigned.  Toss in the problems that would probably pop up in reworking the fuel system for the new engines, problems that could easily pop up with finding a spot for the engines that doesn't have an airflow issue created by some other part of the airframe, and the weight and balance, and a nervous breakdown becomes a possibility.

In contrast, changing a Lear 24 to a two seater leaves the wings, tail, engines, and fuel system alone.  There would still be a weight and balance issue to deal with, but it would be less complicated than the T-33 and F-86 ideas.  Airflow could be a problem, but it would seem to be less likely to produce surprises than hanging a couple engines on the side of the fuselage and rearranging the tail.  The systems that would need to be altered or moved, would only need changes with their connections to the cockpit.  Availability of spare parts and upgrades to systems, would also favor a modified Lear, over a 60+ year old military jet.  I didn't say it would be easy.  I said that converting a Lear might be less work than the T-33 and F-86 modifications.

And if I failed to make myself clear with the above, I'll blame it on the long day I just had.  A retired sheetmetal guy normally comes in as a contractor to help out on certain jobs, but somebody dropped the ball and didn't call him to tell him we needed him, today.  So I was working with a trainee, removing the outer three feet or so of the wings, so that they can be replaced with extended sections with wetwing tanks.  On this model, I usually just concentrate on the plumbing and leave the sheetmetal to the retired guy and whoever is helping him. Nobody else in the shop wants to touch the plumbing, and if I try to suggest somebody else do it, they just point out that this particular plumbing installation is my design, so I'm "the expert".    You take pictures, make drawingsa with dimensions, write a material list and rough draft of the installation manual, then turn it all over to a DER to amend the STC, and nobody wants to try cramming six cubic feet of crap into three cubic feet of space.

Hopefully, somebody finally remembered to call the retired guy and ask him to come in tomorrow.  I'd prefer to get back to just doing the plumbing.  If nothing else, it has the advantage of being able to say "do you want to do this?" anytime somebody bothers me, and they usually go away very quickly.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 6:36:31 AM EDT
[#2]
It would be interesting to see how successful a single or dual seat jet design geared towards ultra low-cost production and purchase price, ease of maintenance and simple flight characteristics would be in today's market.

Something like the HE 162 Salamander design. I'd love to see that allowed into the "Light Sport" category.

Designed and assembled in three months. I bet this thing was a hoot to fly.

Even though it is not clear how many He 162s actually saw combat, one of them flown by Lieutenant Rudolf Schmitt presumably scored a victory over Rostock against a Tempest or Typhoon (depending on the source) on May 4, 1945. Shot down a few minutes later, Schmitt ejected safely. The fact that a rookie pilot managed to speaks volume about that aircraft that many consider to be among the best of its time. After the war, the remaining units were taken to the countries of the winning forces and used for jet engine aircraft pilot training.

The Heinkel He 162 jet aircraft was designed and assembled in three months in an all-out effort to prevent the defeat of Germany near the end of World War 2. Though it was a technical marvel for its time, the aircraft was designed to be among the less expensive and could be built by semi-skilled labor from non-strategic materials like wood. The airplane’s name (Volksjager) literally means “people’s fighter”. This aircraft was meant to be flown by young men and women who were for the most part in their teens. Those pilots received their training on gliders and would then pass directly to the jet aircraft.

The fuselage of the He 162 was made of light metal sheets, and the jet engine located just over and behind the pilot, blowing between the fins. Fuel was poured directly into the wings that were made out of wood and protected with a special coating. In case of emergency, a basic ejection seat allowed the pilot to get out of the airplane without being sucked into the engine.

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 7:09:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It would be interesting to see how successful a single or dual seat jet design geared towards ultra low-cost production and purchase price, ease of maintenance and simple flight characteristics would be in today's market.

Something like the HE 162 Salamander design. I'd love to see that allowed into the "Light Sport" category.

Like this perhaps?    Not light sport (no jet will ever be) but close.

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 7:16:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this perhaps?    Not light sport (no jet will ever be) but close.

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/research/updates/subsonex/images/Update_113012_8382.jpg

Yes, that is excellent! Amazing how quiet it is in the cockpit. (in the video)
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Eric Brown claimed the Me-162 was one of the most fun aircraft he ever flew and that it was quite easy to handle.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There've already been concepts like is and none have been successful. Wy spend $5-7m when you can get an L-39th for 500k?

Yea.....

L39 can go Mach 0.8 at best.

THIS on the other hand, will go Mach 2.0, is fully operational, and easy to maintain.

Best part is it only costs $79,000 USD. This particular example has been babied.

Being a cheap bastard, I'd want to know what the MTBO, parts availability and costs are for the Tumansky.

Otherwise, do want!  

Since I'm an old but NOT bold pilot (no longer can fly though...) I'd just have to buzz my MIL's house at M1+    (IFF just had a casualty, Sir...that was NOT me down there!)  
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#7]

PRIDE ????

Jesus the gays have their own fighter wing now ???? wtf..

A really cool plane flys over my house a few times a week, it looks like the one posted above w/the twin prop engines mounted in the rear like a pusher design ...I think they are called Enterprise or something.

Speaking of the Enterpise , an actor on a Star trek show  has his own .mil plane. I swear I think it was a F4.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top