Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Not my thing but everyone that actually owns one seems to love them. I say buy one and enjoy the open road.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Do they still cost the same as a brand new 3 Series?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#3]
All of the downsides of a motorcycle with none of the enjoyment.

I rode the street snowmobile, it was fucking weird and not fun. Just get a Miata, put the top down, and be done with it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It sounds like OP might be elderly.  They're the ones that can am trikes are for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gay.

Class dismissed.

It sounds like OP might be elderly.  They're the ones that can am trikes are for.

I thought they were for black people. That's who I see on them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#5]

I know 2 people that have them. One has a sportier, stripped one, and one has a "full dress" one. Both of them love it. People will piss and moan that it's not a bike and all that crap, but I'm sure it's fun and it's surely less dangerous than 2 wheels.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Owned one, did not like. Had to ride like a sled to work the corners. Quick passes sucked as you had to bull the steering out and back. Saw a review that said it was the worst part of a car and the worst part of a motorcycle combined. People won't leave you alone at the gas station.  Only positive was it was good for sightseeing. You could run over about anything or off the edge of the road and it would just keep going.
View Quote

And there you have it...

OP, that's natures way of saying "stay away"
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gay.

Class dismissed.

LoL.... um.... ok.....wow.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't know much about the can-am, but you can get a harley trike conversion that leans.

http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/faq/
http://www.trbimg.com/img-567b7cb8/turbine/la-fi-hy-tilting-motorcycle-20151224
View Quote

Wow, I never new about these kits. That is what I will probably do when it's time to give up 2 wheels.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gay.

Class dismissed.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've had mine since 2008. It was my first bike, so I had nothing to unlearn and no preconceived notions of what a motorcycle should be. As you can tell by the comments above, it's not a bike for those that give a shit what others think.

The Sypder doesn't lean, but that doesn't mean it's not nimble. You have to steer it like a quad, but the power steering makes that easy. In addition, it has a vehicle stability system that senses if a tire comes off the ground. In that case, it interrupts your throttle just enough to bring you back down. If you do want to throw it into corners, this is easily counteracted by leaning to the inside of a turn (after a while, it becomes muscle memory) or buying a stiffer sway bar.  Mine is now considered a "sport" model, but I've added handlebar risers, Givi bags, and a big wind screen to turn it into a sport tourer. Riding in the rain is no problem, when most two-wheelers are hiding under a bridge. I've had it up to 110+ on several occasions. The only criticism I have is the 30 MPG.

I don't know a lot about the touring models, except that they're very popular with the older crowd.  You should at least take one for a test ride.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/von_landstuhl/Portraits/img_2143a.jpg
View Quote

In your pic the inside wheel is off the pavement, I thought the concept of the Spyder's anti-roll control was to apply slight controlled braking to the inside lifting tire which forces the front end back to level ?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

In your pic the inside wheel is off the pavement, I thought the concept of the Spyder's anti-roll control was to apply slight controlled braking to the inside lifting tire which forces the front end back to level ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had mine since 2008. It was my first bike, so I had nothing to unlearn and no preconceived notions of what a motorcycle should be. As you can tell by the comments above, it's not a bike for those that give a shit what others think.

The Sypder doesn't lean, but that doesn't mean it's not nimble. You have to steer it like a quad, but the power steering makes that easy. In addition, it has a vehicle stability system that senses if a tire comes off the ground. In that case, it interrupts your throttle just enough to bring you back down. If you do want to throw it into corners, this is easily counteracted by leaning to the inside of a turn (after a while, it becomes muscle memory) or buying a stiffer sway bar.  Mine is now considered a "sport" model, but I've added handlebar risers, Givi bags, and a big wind screen to turn it into a sport tourer. Riding in the rain is no problem, when most two-wheelers are hiding under a bridge. I've had it up to 110+ on several occasions. The only criticism I have is the 30 MPG.

I don't know a lot about the touring models, except that they're very popular with the older crowd.  You should at least take one for a test ride.

He probably turned off that nanny feature.
I rode behind a guy once that was really ripping on one. It was pretty impressive. We got to a stopping point and the guy motions for me to pull over - presumably to BS as we'd been riding a good 50 miles together. We pull over, he gets off his "bike" and he is maybe 4'6" - a real live midget/dwarf/lollipop guild/whatever they like to be called...a person of contracted stature. Turns out to be a pretty cool guy. Maybe 50 years old. None of that chip on the shoulder stuff those little bastards always seem to have. He loves to "ride" but anything with two wheels this side of a mini bike is out of the question. His Spyder was 3 years old and had 60k miles. He told me that there are several gyros and sensors that will kill the spark to the engine if they go past a certain threshold To Keep You Safe but disabling them will make them pretty fun. That guy, and anyone with any sort of disability that keeps them off two wheels, gets a pass in my book. I guess. Miata is probably more fun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:46:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get a wheel off the ground, but not for long. As far as I know, there's no way to turn off the vehicle stability system. And if I could, I don't know that I'd want to. The Spyder was designed as a trike from the ground up, so it doesn't have all the inherent flaws that a conversion kit would have.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:29:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:33:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I don't know much about the can-am, but you can get a harley trike conversion that leans.

http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/faq/

http://www.trbimg.com/img-567b7cb8/turbine/la-fi-hy-tilting-motorcycle-20151224
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:45:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If your going with 3 wheels buy a T-Rex. http://149.255.34.50/listimg/img1_0216/18/img_nA0JKjH2pO_r.jpg
View Quote

Those things are a blast to drive.I got to drive one at a bike and car show in Waco a few years ago.
Fast as hell too.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top