Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:28:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He's in his early 20's and has made sacrifices, though he has no children, he's got an appt and live in girlfriend and can eat...and makes $80k/yr....
View Quote
I'm not in my early 20s, late 20s

Not having children is a sacrifice when they're something you want...

Sorry for trying to be financially responsible.  Fuck me, right?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:29:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

RNs working at the largest level 1 trauma hospital don’t make $35/hr in Columbus, OH.
View Quote
Yeah sorry I did about 10 different calcs, I was aiming for $30/hr.  That's still not much at all for the amount of work involved in being a trauma nurse.  I've got Scrum Masters making $90k and there's no blood involved.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:30:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not having children is a sacrifice when they're something you want..

View Quote
Finally, something sensible.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had my first child at 26 and made about $40k at the time and bought a house 16 years ago.  I upped my income to $75k, then $80k over 3 years.  With medical bills and no insurance.  IT IS HARD.  Everyone has it hard unless they are trust fund babies.

Stop complaining and fix it.  I did, and it sounds like a lot of others here did as well.

Mind you I didn't start my real career for pay until I was 25.  I waited tables, worked in a microchip factory around boiling acid, etc.  It didn't get fulfilling for another decade from where you are now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:34:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm not talking about Cadillacs, mansions, and yachts.

I'm talking about basic lifetime milestones. Kids. Homeownership.

Nice Strawman though

https://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/payroll/news/21070211/student-loan-debt-forcing-millennials-to-delay-major-life-milestones
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just graduated? LOL

When my crowd graduated we were offered entry level jobs at minimum wage.  We worked that job AND a retail gig for years, until we had enough experience to get paid enough to stop flipping burgers. Nobody was buying their own house until years later.

People didn't graduate high school, get hired at some ridiculously high salary, buy mansions, yachts, and Cadillacs. You're looking at silly memes about "boomers" and actually believing them.
I'm not talking about Cadillacs, mansions, and yachts.

I'm talking about basic lifetime milestones. Kids. Homeownership.

Nice Strawman though

https://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/payroll/news/21070211/student-loan-debt-forcing-millennials-to-delay-major-life-milestones
Nothing in that link suggests that millennials are unable to afford homes or kids. It simply says that millennials *believe* that student loans are responsible. That's not the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:36:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I also didn't get myself tens of thousands of dollars of debt to end up working construction.

I swear it's the most retarded thing, growing up we were told "Go to college unless you want to work a shitty job your whole life". So we did. Now that we're better educated and in debt, boomers have the balls to say "What are ya? Too good for this shitty job?"

Yes.  Yes I am.
View Quote
Your attitude is why you’re poor. You shit on jobs like construction, but have no idea how many small construction companies have turned people into millionaires. When I say small, I mean a man and his son.

Not to mention, when you do a job you don’t want, there’s a really good chance that you’ll meet the person that propels you to the next level.

I have a friend that makes $90k a year parking cars in Las Vegas. He landed that job because he worked a job he hated, turning wrenches at a dealership. Just so happens that he’s doing an on road test with the owner of the vehicle, and the guy tells him to come in for an interview.

My friend shows up, and there’s over 60 people applying to be a valet at the Luxor in Vegas. His app goes to the top. Why? Because he was doing a job that he hated, but it led him to meeting a high level executive at the Luxor.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:39:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Your attitude is why you’re poor. You shit on jobs like construction, but have no idea how many small construction companies have turned people into millionaires. When I say small, I mean a man and his son.

Not to mention, when you do a job you don’t want, there’s a really good chance that you’ll meet the person that propels you to the next level.

I have a friend that makes $90k a year parking cars in Las Vegas. He landed that job because he worked a job he hated, turning wrenches at a dealership. Just so happens that he’s doing an on road test with the owner of the vehicle, and the guy tells him to come in for an interview.

My friend shows up, and there’s over 60 people applying to be a valet at the Luxor in Vegas. His app goes to the top. Why? Because he was doing a job that he hated, but it led him to meeting a high level executive at the Luxor.
View Quote
So, to be clear, you're suggesting I work shit jobs on the off chance I get lucky and have someone take me under their wing?  You understand that's incredibly rare, right?

Sorry I'm not willing to gamble my life on that chance, got bills to pay.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:40:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Boom.

I stumbled on a young guy working for a small internet company (2 people) and I could sense his drive.  I hired him immediately (~50k), mentored him for 8 years.  He left for a vendor making ~140k.  3 years later I hired him back making $160k my new position.  1.5 years later I left that company and he jumped to the largest cloud computing vendor and is making over $300k.  His student loan debit was about $20k and paid if off while working for me the first round.  He's 35 today.

Find good people, be good people.  Elevate others and they will do the same.

You are just getting started and have no idea what's possible.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:41:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Most boomers I have spoken to did not begin to accumulate wealth until they reached their 40s.

In all fairness, the next generation still has time.

But...tick tock, tick tock...  they are probably screwed (as a whole, not as individuals)

http://www.usdebtclock.org
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good lord.
Quoted:

You sound pretty young. Go bang your young girlfriend and quit worrying about this shit. It'll all work out, and you'll be glad that you did. Trust me.
Quoted:

Not sure if serious.
So you all can say with 100% honesty that if it was you in that situation, you would have chosen to be kicked out?

I'm not sure I'm following here guys.

We both work good full time jobs. We make over 80k a year. Because of student loans, medical bills, and renting, we (and millions of other people our age) are worse off than our parents were at our age. THAT is the point.

People that are older make fun of our generation say "well by god I got by just fine on only $35k in 1980" not realizing that it is equivalent to over 110 fucking K in today's money, and that was a SINGLE INCOME.

https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=35000&year1=198001&year2=201901
Yes, I guess I would have chosen to be kicked out.  I voluntarily moved out when I was 17, from a loving, supportive family, to take advantage of what seemed like the best opportunity for me at the time.

I don’t deny that your generation has it worse than the baby boomers, but that is “on average”.

On an individual level we all have the ability to make choices.

It sounds like you have chosen pretty well if you are making $80k.  That is well above median.
IMO, people are significantly over estimating how "easy" life was on the boomers. It's mostly horsecrap. Life is so much better now across the board it's not even debatable.
Most boomers I have spoken to did not begin to accumulate wealth until they reached their 40s.

In all fairness, the next generation still has time.

But...tick tock, tick tock...  they are probably screwed (as a whole, not as individuals)

http://www.usdebtclock.org
We are all screwed when it blows. Check out the cash flows for FY19.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:46:11 AM EDT
[#10]
The problem is envy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:48:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I wanted to take a year off and look for a job because I didn't know what I wanted to do. Parents wouldn't have it. Threatened to kick me out in the middle of a recession or go to college. Stop acting like you would've done any different.
View Quote
LOL
You realize for not only myself but most of my peers we had the same choice post high school.
Go to college and we'll help you as much as we can or move out and fend for yourself were the options my parents gave us.
I chose the later. I am the only one in my family, including cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. that's not college educated.
Had I gone to college I more than likely would have lasted about a semester, I never liked school.

You know what I had to do when the recession hit? I had to go on the road to find work leaving behind a young child, house, now ex-wife, friends etc. I did what I had to do. I spent about 2 1/2 years traveling for work from 2008-2010.

As far as the trades not being a "good" job, it's no different than any other job, put your time in, get really good at what you do and the money will follow.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:49:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Relax. Fish. Shoot. Probably not much different from everyone else here.

Plase don't tell me you're suggesting that you think we should be working more? I think 2 full time jobs should be more than enough to support a young couple.
View Quote
You’re complaining about being poor, but have the luxury to relax, fish, which wastes time and money, and go shooting, which uses money you supposedly do not have. You guys should be working more. I’m not sure why you think working 40 hours a week is the path to financial freedom, or whoever told you it would be.

I bet you subscribe to work-life balance BS also. There is no such thing as balance. You need to go full tilt one way so eventually the scale tilts to abundance. At least three days a week, I only see my kids for two hours. Even when I’m home, I’m in the office, and it sucks. But what doesn’t suck, is that I’m taking my family to Disney World again in May, and a Disney Cruise in November. Our suite is $7,200 for three nights.

I cannot stress enough your need to go full tilt when you’re young. Make as much money as you can at this phase of your life. Going out to bars, and the shit that goes along with that will be the biggest waste of your time and wealth.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:51:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I want everyone to post their age when they say they have no problem with wealth inequality, along with how old they were when they bought their first home. I'm just making a bet.
View Quote
The bet that younger people just starting out have little wealth and income.
But, over time, unless they are completely reckless, build themselves up.
So a young person can look to a middle aged or older person as an example to follow, or with disdain.
It's their choice.

That bet?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:55:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You’re complaining about being poor, but have the luxury to relax, fish, which wastes time and money, and go shooting, which uses money you supposedly do not have. You guys should be working more. I’m not sure why you think working 40 hours a week is the path to financial freedom, or whoever told you it would be.

I bet you subscribe to work-life balance BS also. There is no such thing as balance. You need to go full tilt one way so eventually the scale tilts to abundance. At least three days a week, I only see my kids for two hours. Even when I’m home, I’m in the office, and it sucks. But what doesn’t suck, is that I’m taking my family to Disney World again in May, and a Disney Cruise in November. Our suite is $7,200 for three nights.

I cannot stress enough your need to go full tilt when you’re young. Make as much money as you can at this phase of your life. Going out to bars, and the shit that goes along with that will be the biggest waste of your time and wealth.
View Quote
Listen to Shrimpmoney, I think he knows what he's talking about.

In my 20's through 30's, there was no such thing as life balance.  I'm a bit different in that I started a company, I wouldn't kill myself for a paycheck.  However, 12-16 hour days (yes in a desk chair, my back and waistline can attest) take a toll, but if you can knock it out in those two decades, things can get a bit easier.  More time with the kids, and ideally by the time you have grandkids you can spoil the shit out of them.  That's what I intend.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:56:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So, to be clear, you're suggesting I work shit jobs on the off chance I get lucky and have someone take me under their wing?  You understand that's incredibly rare, right?

Sorry I'm not willing to gamble my life on that chance, got bills to pay.
View Quote
They’re not shit jobs. Learning construction is huge. You probably look down on a drywaller, but that drywaller has a crew that he’s assembled over the years of working “shit jobs”, and makes $90k on one job.

I’m not sure if you’re totally defeated, or just incapable of seeing the bigger picture.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:59:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I bet you subscribe to work-life balance BS also. There is no such thing as balance. You need to go full tilt one way so eventually the scale tilts to abundance. At least three days a week, I only see my kids for two hours.
View Quote
Serious question,

When you're on your deathbed, do you think your kids will be happy only having seen you 2 weeks of the year, or will they had rather seen you most nights for dinner, family get togethers, sports, etc?

Nobody lays on their deathbed, looks their family in the eye and says "I wish I would have spent more time at work"

You only get so much time with them. Don't waste it at work.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:00:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A metric shitload of more markets and industries to choose from as well.

Millennials need to man up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A metric shitload more competition in the labor market.

2-3 decades of Marxist vote-buying bullshit policy enacted by Boomers.
A metric shitload of more markets and industries to choose from as well.

Millennials need to man up.
You forgot a metric shit ton of market manipulation. The fun part is the party is just getting started. Math just is.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:03:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Serious question,

When you're on your deathbed, do you think your kids will be happy only having seen you 2 weeks of the year, or will they had rather seen you most nights for dinner, family get togethers, sports, etc?

Nobody lays on their deathbed, looks their family in the eye and says "I wish I would have spent more time at work"

View Quote
I read a stat a while back that the average time the family sits down together is 15 mins per day. 2 hours is a long time with your kids every day.

That is plenty of time in a 16 hour day when 8 of them are working / school and kids sleep like 12 hours per day.

You have a lot to learn.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:03:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Serious question,

When you're on your deathbed, do you think your kids will be happy only seeing you 2 weeks of the year, or will they had rather seen you most nights for dinner, family get togethers, sports, etc?

You only get so much time with them. Don't waste it at work
View Quote
Or you could die like my grandparents and be so broke that my dad and uncle had to pay for the funerals and cremation.
Great legacy to leave your kids, a financial burden upon your death.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:06:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Or you could die like my grandparents and be so broke that my dad and uncle had to pay for the funerals and cremation.
Great legacy to leave your kids, a financial burden upon your death.
View Quote
You speak as if there are only 2 choices. There is a middle ground...
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:08:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Relax. Fish. Shoot. Probably not much different from everyone else here.

Plase don't tell me you're suggesting that you think we should be working more? I think 2 full time jobs should be more than enough to support a young couple.

I agree with you, but am going to offer a slightly different suggestion.

Instead of "Make as much money as you can at this phase of your life", I would suggest "gain as much career experience as you can at this phase of your life".

Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 Hour Rule is no joke.  Learning a craft (white collar or blue collar) at an early age is what allows you to gain real income later, and that is only done by investing the hours.  I've seen too many people leave a job for $10k/year more, when they would have been better off staying put and getting $50k more a couple of years down the line when they had more experience.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:10:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You speak as if there are only 2 choices. There is a middle ground...
View Quote
What's the middle ground?

Would you prefer to not give the options your parents gave you?

The whole American Dream is about setting your kids up for a better future than you had.  It doesn't come free.  Work hard (not hours / back breaking labour, work smarter) and keep that 1-2 hours per weekday that you can mentor your kids and save up enough to at least not be a burden on them later, and ideally give them the best education (doesn't mean $100k degree) and opportunities.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:12:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I agree with you, but am going to offer a slightly different suggestion.

Instead of "Make as much money as you can at this phase of your life", I would suggest "gain as much career experience as you can at this phase of your life".

Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 Hour Rule is no joke.  Learning a craft (white collar or blue collar) at an early age is what allows you to gain real income later, and that is only done by investing the hours.  I've seen too many people leave a job for $10k/year more, when they would have been better off staying put and getting $50k more a couple of years down the line when they had more experience.
View Quote
I love the 10,000 principle.  It applies to not just hours but any repetition.  Do it 10k times and you become a master.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:16:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Serious question,

When you're on your deathbed, do you think your kids will be happy only seeing you 2 weeks of the year, or will they had rather seen you most nights for dinner, family get togethers, sports, etc?

You only get so much time with them. Don't waste it at work
View Quote
They don’t get to eat if I don’t work. My two year old doesn’t get to fly first class to California to see his aunt, attend get together, or play sports, if I don’t work harder than you.

Have you convinced yourself that that’s why you’ll only do the bare minimum, yet complain about the results? Because you don’t want to be on your deathbed, and say those things?

I don’t know how to help you. You don’t have what it takes to be wealthy. And that’s ok, a lot of people are happy punching a time clock for their entire life.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:17:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What's the middle ground?

Would you prefer to not give the options your parents gave you?

The whole American Dream is about setting your kids up for a better future than you had.  It doesn't come free.  Work hard (not hours / back breaking labour, work smarter) and keep that 1-2 hours per weekday that you can mentor your kids and save up enough to at least not be a burden on them later, and ideally give them the best education (doesn't mean $100k degree) and opportunities.
View Quote
My dad and I just had this conversation.
If you can do well enough in life to be able to give your children a hand up that you didn't get is what people should strive for.
A hand up doesn't have to be a monetary thing either.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:24:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My dad and I just had this conversation.
If you can do well enough in life to be able to give your children a hand up that you didn't get is what people should strive for.
A hand up doesn't have to be a monetary thing either.
View Quote
Exactly, while my parents bought me the computers to learn on, they put me in a shit neighborhood and school district and I ended up dropping out of HS and getting a GED.

I'm making sure my kids have the tools for their passion (at the moment it is music instruments and computers), but I'm also paying $18k/yr in property taxes to have them in an incredible neighborhood and school district with options I couldn't even dream of.  If nothing else I want to remove my barriers to entry that I grew up with.

Once they are 18 I'm ready to downsize and move to a lower cost of living area with some land so I can do my thing.  Until then, I'm working to make sure they have everything they need to succeed, whatever path they choose.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:26:15 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote
This is 100% true for my father, who was born in '48.  He grew up in a poor farming county, dropped out of school, got his GED, and joined the Navy in '66 (stayed in until '68).  He started a plumbing business in 1988, and in less than 10 years, didn't owe a dime to anyone.  Granted, he worked his ass off, but he hasn't worried about money or paying bills since probably the late '90s.  Oddly enough, even at almost 71 years old, he still gets out and works 1-2 days a week.

I look at my current lifestyle, and there is no way he could have lived like we do now in the 80's....simply no way he could have afforded it with 4 kids.  My mother didn't start working until we were all in school, and even then it was barely above part time.  Of course, he didn't pay for a cell phone, internet, cable TV, or health insurance.  Me, on the other hand, I'm spending $600+/month just for health insurance.  I'm this >< close to cutting the cord with cable, but it would be difficult to go without a cell phone or internet.  Regardless, even with my wife quitting her nursing job last April, we only have 10 payments left on our mortgage and no car payments.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:31:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So you all can say with 100% honesty that if it was you in that situation, you would have chosen to be kicked out?

We both work good full time jobs. We make over 80k a year. Because of student loans, medical bills, and renting, we (and millions of other people our age) are worse off than our parents were at our age. THAT is the point.

People that are older make fun of our generation say "well by god I got by just fine on only $35k in 1980" not realizing that it is equivalent to over 110 fucking K in today's money, and that was a SINGLE INCOME.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good lord.
Quoted:

You sound pretty young. Go bang your young girlfriend and quit worrying about this shit. It'll all work out, and you'll be glad that you did. Trust me.
Quoted:

Not sure if serious.

Yes, Inflation sucks, and I’m glad you’re awake and aware of it.  That said, I’m gonna let you in on a little secret:   It wasn’t easy in 1980.  Or, 1970, or 1960.    It has never been easy to pull yourself up.

Now, quit feeling sorry for yourself.    It’s counterproductive, and it makes you look like a self-entitled little pansy.

Your parents let you live at home as an adult!    They indulged you, and now you lack all perspective.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:36:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This is 100% true for my father, who was born in '48.  He grew up in a poor farming county, dropped out of school, got his GED, and joined the Navy in '66 (stayed in until '68).  He started a plumbing business in 1988, and in less than 10 years, didn't owe a dime to anyone.  Granted, he worked his ass off, but he hasn't worried about money or paying bills since probably the late '90s.  Oddly enough, even at almost 71 years old, he still gets out and works 1-2 days a week.

I look at my current lifestyle, and there is no way he could have lived like we do now in the 80's....simply no way he could have afforded it with 4 kids.  My mother didn't start working until we were all in school, and even then it was barely above part time.  Of course, he didn't pay for a cell phone, internet, cable TV, or health insurance.  Me, on the other hand, I'm spending $600+/month just for health insurance.  I'm this >< close to cutting the cord with cable, but it would be difficult to go without a cell phone or internet.  Regardless, even with my wife quitting her nursing job last April, we only have 10 payments left on our mortgage and no car payments.
View Quote
My parents were born in '48 as well.  They didn't end up so well even with working his ass off and having a very lucrative income.  It comes down to savings rate, as I said I support my parents now.

Even looking back when they were making their top earnings, it doesn't compare to where I'm at. 4,600sqft in one of the fastest growing cities in the country, 4 cars with no car notes and high NW.

As a late Gen Xer and no college funds or financial support past 19, it was still possible then.  The biggest timing factor is I managed to start my company in '02, right after the dotcom boom and before the meltdown.  Also at the time there wasn't a billion people trying to find every possible tech app / platform like there is now.  I employed over 30 people between $30k-$180k for years before selling.

I worry about my kids a lot with them being teens, considering I have no ideas at the moment for another tech company, but life finds a way.  I will do my best to elevate them and it is up to them to come up with those ideas and find the right thing that excites them.

Meanwhile I'll open a speed shop that barely clears $50k/year and be happy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:37:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’m not white, but I’ll share some privilege. Sign up for internet only, drop cable. Get a Roku, enter in your login for your internet provider. Voila, all the networks have an app, and you get to watch live tv in 1080P, for free. You can even watch previously aired shows, it’s better than cable.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:39:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Sloth
Jealousy
Regret
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:40:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I’m not white, but I’ll share some privilege. Sign up for internet only, drop cable. Get a Roku, enter in your login for your internet provider. Voila, all the networks have an app, and you get to watch live tv in 1080P, for free. You can even watch previously aired shows, it’s better than cable.
View Quote
Nice!  I cut cable tv/directv in 2008 and never looked back.  Netflix, Hulu, Youtube and Amazon Prime are plenty of boob tube, and prime comes for free since I have about 200 orders per year from Amazon anyway and am a Prime member.  My 300/100 is $50/month.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:40:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Another problem that the left is not trying to solve. If they wanted to "solve" wealth inequality they would propose limits on personal wealth, limits on income, and limits on investment earnings.  But they don't because that would limit their contribution revenue.  They want perpetual social problems that don't get solved so there will always be a need to vote for Democrats.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:43:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Serious question,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet you subscribe to work-life balance BS also. There is no such thing as balance. You need to go full tilt one way so eventually the scale tilts to abundance. At least three days a week, I only see my kids for two hours.
Serious question,

That is a lot of words for an answer of ‘yes’ to his question. Your problems are of your own making, but seriously you make $80k? How do you feel that have financial problems?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:48:53 AM EDT
[#35]
$80k can clear out $40k of student loans in three years on the slow end.

But he’s got fish to catch.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:58:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
$80k can clear out $40k of student loans in three years on the slow end.

But he’s got fish to catch.
View Quote
Exactly, he's ready to cruise in his 20's.  Nobody cruises in their 20's, or 30's, unless they are making well into 6 figures with no debt, kids, or high maint woman, which is also entirely possible.

This is the time you tripple down, fix your debt, save up, increase income.  It's not the time to fish or ball out (and by ball out I mean even a 6 pack of bud light).

Look at the returns on the S&P from late 20's until 60's.  You have time horizon right now, the most valuable thing in life.  You have no kids.  Get out of debt and invest in your savings and skills, then have kids.

Anything less, you will be poor mouthing to your deathbed.

This is the shit people talk about when they say "boomers" call "millennials" lazy.  It is expectations fueled by society.  "Free time" wasn't even a thing 100 years ago, and you want to do old man retiree shit in your late 20's and talk about you can't afford children making well over the average wage.

Yes there's systemic problems with uninsured healthcare and higher education costs.  I wasn't bitching that I'd have to cut my fishin' time down when we had over $100k in medical bills from my wife almost dying in the ICU with no insurance making $75k with a newborn, I had a cry fit, nutted up, kicked on the afterburners and dug in.  I ended up in a ball on the floor crying a few times out of hopelessness.  Then I got up, wiped off my tears, and did the thing.

Things got better and 16 years later I can do whatever I want, and my wife and kids are healthy, even though I'm paying $850/month for COBRA.  I got laid off 6 months ago and I've been hanging out with my family, interviewing, driving the Porsche, and looking at businesses to buy if I decide to leave corp world.

Who knows what can happen in this great country?  I can go back to business casual or I could buy a bar with a live music venue and do that for a while.  Or I could open a speedshop.  Not a lot of places in this world where someone can have my family's story, good and bad.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:04:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's in his early 20's and has made sacrifices, though he has no children, he's got an appt and live in girlfriend and can eat...and makes $80k/yr....

You can afford to have children, if you want to make that a priority.

You choose not to.

That’s all.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:29:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You choose not to.

That’s all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You choose not to.

That’s all.
I’d argue that having children is the sacrifice. Your time, money, and future are forever aligned with making that decision.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:34:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I want everyone to post their age when they say they have no problem with wealth inequality, along with how old they were when they bought their first home. I'm just making a bet.
View Quote
No problem with perceived wealth inequality, I’m 33, bought my first home at 26.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:11:55 AM EDT
[#40]
I am 44. Bought my first house at 34. I love wealth inequality. Without it, nothing any of us does would matter.

There has never been, and never will be, enough resources to go around for the entire world to be well off, or even to live comfortable. If we evenly distributed all the world's wealth among all the world's population, the rich and the middle class would all be poor, and the poor would be marginally less poor. America's "poor" would be way worse off than they are accustomed to.

That said, I am very jealous of people who have more than me, because it's natural to feel that way. It's a good motivator to work more and save more. But I don't want the government to "make it fair" because that would mean everyone who has less than me and thinks I'm "rich" (I'm not) would want my money too. Nobody is safe from being thought of as rich because now matter how meager your lifestyle, there is always someone with less who is jealous of you.

If inequality was eradicated, there would be no reason to do anything at all. Why get out of bed and work if no matter how hard you try you will only ever live in a small apartment and ride on public transportation? The work I do takes a lot of self motivation, experience, and familiarity with office software. It's difficult and stressful, and the only reason I do it is so that I can have an unequal amount of money and nice things that other people can't afford. If all I could have was the same house and car as a bartender, or someone who doesn't work at all, I would quit my job and just collect my "guaranteed minimum income". Let some other sucker be a highly trained professional and work hard for the same money as I get for doing jack shit. Why work hard if you can't get a better house, car, clothes, food, toys, etc?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:18:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The problem is envy.
View Quote
Envy is not the problem. It's perfectly natural and we should embrace it for the motivator it is. The problem is laziness, not envy. Envy drives the lazy to socialism, and those willing to work to aquire the things they envy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:39:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
41 was age 27. No problem with "wealth inequality"
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 4:12:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I am 44. Bought my first house at 34. I love wealth inequality. Without it, nothing any of us does would matter.

There has never been, and never will be, enough resources to go around for the entire world to be well off, or even to live comfortable. If we evenly distributed all the world's wealth among all the world's population, the rich and the middle class would all be poor, and the poor would be marginally less poor. America's "poor" would be way worse off than they are accustomed to.

That said, I am very jealous of people who have more than me, because it's natural to feel that way. It's a good motivator to work more and save more. But I don't want the government to "make it fair" because that would mean everyone who has less than me and thinks I'm "rich" (I'm not) would want my money too. Nobody is safe from being thought of as rich because now matter how meager your lifestyle, there is always someone with less who is jealous of you.

If inequality was eradicated, there would be no reason to do anything at all. Why get out of bed and work if no matter how hard you try you will only ever live in a small apartment and ride on public transportation? The work I do takes a lot of self motivation, experience, and familiarity with office software. It's difficult and stressful, and the only reason I do it is so that I can have an unequal amount of money and nice things that other people can't afford. If all I could have was the same house and car as a bartender, or someone who doesn't work at all, I would quit my job and just collect my "guaranteed minimum income". Let some other sucker be a highly trained professional and work hard for the same money as I get for doing jack shit. Why work hard if you can't get a better house, car, clothes, food, toys, etc?
View Quote
Interesting post.  The first part of what you say is certainly true.  But wouldn’t you work anyway, simply because work and creating things is reward in itself.

I imagine I would work even if I won the lottery.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 4:52:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Been enjoying reading this thread.

I'm 44 and bought my house at 32.

Other people's success is inspiring so I don't bitch about "the rich".
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 4:57:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Problem is this shit doesn't go anywhere. No one sees it.
The MSM won't let it happen. USA is finished.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 7:01:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Eventually if the gap gets too severe, those at the bottom will revolt.

Read some history, it doesn't even have to be a real issue - but one of perception.

Be careful turning a blind eye to it. I'm not suggesting any method of state-run schemes to even it out, either, but I know what happens when hierarchies get too lopsided.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 7:25:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Open season on the American Dream, 365, for the past 40 or so years. That is at least 4 generations that have been brainwashed.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Sloth
Jealousy
Regret
View Quote
Yep and tag .....

I'm still waiting to hear from our GD millionaires and how they got to where they are - inheritance, business owners, bull-shitters, liars .......
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#49]
I think illegal immigration is more of a problem than wealth inequality.

Illegals can make it difficult to find entry level jobs.

Or they make entry level jobs intolerable through blackballing and bullying.

A lot of kids used to start construction by working for roofing companies. How’s that going to work if you don’t speak Spanish?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I wanted to take a year off and look for a job because I didn't know what I wanted to do. Parents wouldn't have it. Threatened to kick me out in the middle of a recession or go to college. Stop acting like you would've done any different.
View Quote
Sounds like, if your parents were going to force you to attend college, they should have sat down with you and done better cost versus reward planning and ensured that you accrued that debt while acquiring a more marketable skill set
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top