Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Actually we celebrate, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (Tyrsday, Wotansday, Thorsday, and Freya/Friggasday)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have Odin's Day every week.
Once a week we can celebrate war and pillaging.

Actually we celebrate, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (Tyrsday, Wotansday, Thorsday, and Freya/Friggasday)
Even better! It's hard to get all the rape and pillaging and boozing done in just one day.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Oh really?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
White people were all over "the new world" tens of thousands of years ago.

Oh really?

If European, African, Chinese, or Polynesian people were all over the New World there'd probably be more genetic evidence of it, and there's really not.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#3]
We should tear down all of the viking statues in every liberal city square
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

And what did the vikings do with their knowledge of these "new" far away lands.  

Jack

Squat

Where as Columbus came back and told pretty much anyone who would listen, which then started up one of the most profound shift of population between Europe, Africa, and the Americas.   This was far more historically significant
View Quote

That's racist
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting. I read at a Native American museum in the Appalachians (NC if I recall correctly) that a local tribe had stories of a handful of  large bearded pale skinned men with eyes the same color as the sky living in the region when they got there. They believed that the pale skin and blue eyes meant they were some sort of night demon/creature that couldn’t go out in the sun for long. This made them fearful that they would come and kill and eat their children at night. So one day they decided to massacre them all. Poor shipwrecked Viking dudes
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have long believed that both the Vikings and the Chinese were in the New World before Columbus.  However, neither had a lasting impact and the Chinese came and departed.  The Vikings stayed and vanished (assimilated or went home to Greenland/Scandinavia?).  Anyway it was Columbus who made a permanent impact on the New World.
View Quote

yes,

But before them the Natives, descendants of African and Middle east tribes were already here.  

As another poster mentioned, Columbus did not DISCOVER America, he just had better PR.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And what did the vikings do with their knowledge of these "new" far away lands.  

View Quote

Erm...... they brought us the Discovery series VIKINGS
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

there's an interesting roman artifact found buried in mexico. either it was placed there as a prank or some romans made it here somehow 1800 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tecaxic-Calixtlahuaca_head

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/389426/91bf2fef1b53dcce89777532cc0162d20b24632c-2138326.JPG
View Quote

Probably one of the lost legions
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#9]
St. Brendan beat them to it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That would have been some fun times exploring back then
View Quote

Very much so. In this particular case they also ran into what we know as Bigfoot as well as the American indians. They wrote that the tall hairy creatures were in the creeks and rivers fishing all the time.
This particular line of Bigfoot creature continued to evolve and one specimen actually lived in the White House during the Obama administration. They named it “Michelle” and it became the White House mascot often times sleeping in the same bed with then President Barack.

Fascinating!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And? Someone discovered it before them. Someone probably discovered it before them.

The thing that matters, did they tell anyone? That's why Columbus gets the credit.
View Quote

To quote Rush Limbaugh, "When Columbus discovered North America, it stayed discovered."
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If European, African, Chinese, or Polynesian people were all over the New World there'd probably be more genetic evidence of it, and there's really not.
View Quote

No there really isn't, I'm just curious to hear what evidence there is to support his claims.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

yes,

But before them the Natives, descendants of African and Middle east tribes were already here.  

As another poster mentioned, Columbus did not DISCOVER America, he just had better PR.
View Quote

African and Middle East tribes?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I wonder if Norse dna has been found in any native tribes in the area.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Even Phoenicians in Brazil, supposedly even evidence of Egyptians in America and Australia, though I am not sure of that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#16]
In before the Prof and Swede swing their swords
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Happy Leif Eriksson Day!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Vinland sagas established that.

FFS the new world was known to some from just such events. Columbus didn't just dream the shit up or use super science to form up a theory.

Columbus just got money behind it.

Just like when mega investors buy up a startup or patent.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Is it possible that the Vikings dug a very deep

latrine on Oak Island?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How is this going to effect the narrative the libtards are producing for the indigenous peoples of America?
View Quote

Generally, they just seem to ignore it.

Because what matters to them isn't who found the land. What matters is that rampaging white settlers stole the land from the natives.

Of course this completely ignores a long history of tribal warfare, human sacrifice and various other horrible things that happened on both these continents. But that doesn't matter to these people.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The...Chinese?

I guess if you go buy the land bridge theory, but not any "modern" Chinese within the last 1000 years. They were nomads at that point, not a country or even a cohesive people. I don't think they had an blue water boats in the feudal age either iirc. I guess they could have traced the coast up siberia into alaska and down the coast of NA, but...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have long believed that both the Vikings and the Chinese were in the New World before Columbus.  However, neither had a lasting impact and the Chinese came and departed.  The Vikings stayed and vanished (assimilated or went home to Greenland/Scandinavia?).  Anyway it was Columbus who made a permanent impact on the New World.

The...Chinese?

I guess if you go buy the land bridge theory, but not any "modern" Chinese within the last 1000 years. They were nomads at that point, not a country or even a cohesive people. I don't think they had an blue water boats in the feudal age either iirc. I guess they could have traced the coast up siberia into alaska and down the coast of NA, but...

No.  DNA evidence their sailors left behind in South America
Also anchor stones.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There's a fascinating book showing Chinese influence in South America.  Can't remember the name but yeah, basically the local's pottery skills went up overnight the same time there was some huge Chinese fleet sailing around, same thing with a couple other technologies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The...Chinese?

There's a fascinating book showing Chinese influence in South America.  Can't remember the name but yeah, basically the local's pottery skills went up overnight the same time there was some huge Chinese fleet sailing around, same thing with a couple other technologies.

I have it on my kindle app / iPad at home
Will try to get it later if I can find this thread again

Oops.  I see it was named like the next post down.  1421

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I’ve been to St John’s quite a few times, and just couldn't fit in enough days to also get up to that park (90m flight, or an all-day drive).

Anyone been there?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok so now the Vikings will be the racist mofo’s
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Love it when my people get some news coverage.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
White people were all over "the new world" tens of thousands of years ago.
View Quote

Yep, they crashed a spaceship after running from Cylons.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Read up on how the potato got to Hawaii.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was a really stupid way of ending that series. I suppose you could call it, "Lee Adama ruins everything."
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

At the time of Columbus’s discovery China was the equivalent of a superpower at the time. The Silk Road gave China tremendous wealth, power, and dominance. There is some archaeological evidence in the form of stone weights found off the coast of California that indicate that the Chinese may have landed there. Oddly enough it was Columbus’s discovery of the New World that brought about the fall of Chinese dominance as there was now an alternate to the Silk Road for spices and what not.

As for the new world there is also some archaeological evidence that Celts may have been here even before the Vikings established their colony.
View Quote

Don't get me wrong, I know they were fairly advanced for the day, but I didnt think they had trans-pacific capacity. iirc their navy wasn't much better than the Japanese, whom they were constantly fighting.
Even then, it's kind of odd how poorly its celebrated. Every country that had the ability to do so was more than happy to add that checkbox to their national history.

We (the rest of the world) know A LOT about china, but their activities in the Americas have to be outed by a couple books and a lot of forensic effort a thousand years later?

I don't know enough on the topic to be honest, but it feels sus on the surface.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Even better! It's hard to get all the rape and pillaging and boozing done in just one day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
And the music, trading, farming, ship building/carpentry, blacksmithing, goldsmithing, etc...

The Norse were a lot more than just axes and mead.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We have Odin's Day every week.
Once a week we can celebrate war and pillaging.
View Quote

so, you are  Democrat Politician ?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

True, but I'm not sure bringing diseases to the "new world" counts as a positive jmpact.
View Quote

Yeah you're right. The America's would be better off as a stone age, child sacrificing group of cannibalistic tribes too fucking stupid to invent the wheel.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah you're right. The America's would be better off as a stone age, child sacrificing group of cannibalistic tribes too fucking stupid to invent the wheel.  
View Quote

And horses.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Mesoamerican tribes had wheels. However there is no evidence they ever used it for anything more than children's toys.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There was a Viking settlement in Florida before Columbus was around too.  It failed and nobody knows what happened to the people, but the remnants are still in the swamp.
View Quote

They got their faces eaten off by Florida injun....
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#38]
So, their football team sucks!
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#39]
@sandboxmedic
sandboxmedic:
There was a Viking settlement in Florida before Columbus was around too.  It failed and nobody knows what happened to the people, but the remnants are still in the swamp.
View Quote

You may find the Windover Bog Archeological Site interesting.

This page has a few neat pictures of the excavation.
And here is a video on it from the Science Channel.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Probably were killed by the red headed giants of that day.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Neat!
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#42]
They did the voyage on Longboats across the ocean too, not huge caravels like Columbus had.

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#43]
I demand repetitions for the lands stolen from my Nordic forefathers?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
But did they stop at Oak Island first?
Everyone knows to stop there to bury your treasure.
View Quote
You know they did.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Leaving wood or stone fragments doesn’t leave quite the impact that Columbus left
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but I'm not sure bringing diseases to the "new world" counts as a positive jmpact.

I've played AoE2 long enough to know what happens if you don't bother to advance your tech tree.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Whatever stops Indigenous People's Day...
View Quote
 Claiming Columbus as the "founder" of America is figment of the imagination.
 My answer to Indigenous People's day is that they should have killed more white people with as much enthusiasm as they killed each other. But, they didn't. Oh well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Edison didn't discover America either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vikings day just doesn't have a good ring to it, but COLUMBUS day?  That's a classic.

Columbus didn't discover the Americas, he just held the first press conference about it so he gets the credit.

See also: Edison, Thomas Alva

Edison didn't discover America either.
Or the light bulb.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They did the voyage on Longboats across the ocean too, not huge caravels like Columbus had.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/C1CF/production/_115751694_noroseberggetty-115751693.jpg.jpg
View Quote

A properly crewed and built Longship is a remarkable piece of technology. I believe someone did an Atlantic crossing in a replica longship in the late 1800s. Direct from Norway to Newfoundland. No stops in Iceland or Greenland in 28 days.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Basically as feasible as the claim.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top