Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/19/2023 10:08:21 AM EDT
You know the deal, you tell people NOT to buy you such and such for Christmas and they still think that they know you better then you know yourself. So what DON'T you want for Christmas this year??????

Me, Clothes, I still have clothes I haven't worn from 10 Christmases past, still have the tags on them, will likely die before I wear out the same kind of clothes that are brand new. Automotive stuff, I need no new cleaners, waxes, polishes, sprays, or anything else relating to vehicle care. I have unopened stuff who's ingredients are probably banned in California  and East coast states now. [I still have lead additive cans]

Funnily though, my kid is in his 30's and he still wants socks [wool only please] and underwear every Christmas. Go figure.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#1]
It sucks having people that care about you.

I avoid those problems by not exchanging gifts with anyone.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Engraved bracelet or medallion that says “I didn’t want anything for Christmas 2023”.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't want anyone to buy me anything, I just want to spend time with my family.
Especially my dad.  Never know how many years he has left.

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I always say I just want a card, that says Merry Christmas, signed by the grandkids.  I have plenty of stuff.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Dude, everyone wears socks at some point.

Just say thankyou and save the receipt
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

No, I don't wear cotton socks, hate them, won't wear them,  and have no use for them other then to cut apart to use as cleaning rags or dusters. Someone always loves to give me those 6 packs of the miserable things. Probably have 4/5 of those packs tossed up on the top shelf in my closet still unopened.

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Every year I tell my sister not to buy me a gift card and just give me the cash equivalent instead.

Every year she buys me a gift card, and it's usually one that she has to pay a fee to activate.

It's like cash that's less useful.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Finally got most of my family and in laws to agree no presents for adults, just kids.
I'd rather have a nice meal together versus some item I don't need or want
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Food isn’t bad, everyone eats and it’s easy to pass to someone else if you don’t want it
View Quote

Yayyyyyyyy fruitcake!!!!!!!!!

I got a couple people Stroopwafle.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife and I don’t exchange gifts for Christmas anymore. It’s great.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I still give mom a big list of things I want for Christmas
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I make an Amazon List of stuff I want throughout the year.
If my desire for the item rises high enough, I buy it and delete it from the list, otherwise it's still on the list when my birthday or Christmas rolls around and people can buy it for me.

I send everyone I exchange gifts with a link showing what I want, I make sure there are a bunch of small things I'd want (#2 Phillips tips, utility knife refills, etc) that cost $10ish and things all the way up to $200 that my wife or parents might get me.

It solves a lot of drama, and I never look to see what has gone off to the list so I'm surprised whenever I get an item.

Except my in-laws. Every year they get me a different variety box of random-ass hot sauces (I use Cholula and that's it), a six pack of beer (rarely one I'd drink, and they don't drink so they don't know wtf they're doing), custom screen-printed t-shirts they think are amazing but are extremely cringe-worthy (I wear them for painting or vehicle maintenance, they could have bought me $3 Walmart Ts instead), multiple boxes of funnel cake mix (I eat one or two a year at the shore), and multiple pounds of peanut M&Ms (I don't like them). I'm not sure who they're buying for, but I don't think they've gotten to know me since I married their daughter.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Let them know you’d like a fifth of this liquor or a GC from a store you buy from.  Or a variety pack of Spam or some other great food.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:14:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I tell everyone to just send a Chrietmas card. I'm old enough that I buy what I want and need through out the year. If they still want suggestions I tell them 30 acres of deer hunting property.
Or a gag gift which had been a tradition for decades between my late aunt and I which most everyone got into at one point or another. Still have a bunch of them too.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It sucks having people that care about you.

I avoid those problems by not exchanging gifts with anyone.
View Quote
But it really doesn't avoid the problem. Some people show love by thoughtful gift giving. It is my #1 love language. First year I was married my husband told me gifts were for kids and it was stupid to give gifts. Those words bit. But I told myself not to take it personally, that he shows love in another way. I still buy gifts for my husband and they are thoughtful gifts-not stupid ones. This year I bought him a mig welder, plus accessories. I found out that he needed one by listening to him describe the process he will go through when he rebuilds his truck (he's converting a 1994 F350 into a 1966 f100 (or vis- -vis). But he has nearly ruined Christmas for me. Yes I would love a thoughtful gift from him but I would be happy with not being married to Mr Scrouge and the Grinch wrapped in one. Yesterday he asked me what I wanted for Christmas and it really bit. We live rurally, Amazon is getting unreliable at this late date and I'm 6' tall - you can't buy off the rack for me. He knows me well enough to have put some thought into-but he doesn't care too. Some people truly love giving and Christmas is about loving each other-if you are not into giving at least don't suck the life out of those who love you by not being gracious by receiving. It also shouldn't be obligation. No one is obligated to by anyone a gift-that is a lie. I would rather someone just be honest with me and say that they didn't want to buy me a gift-then receive something stupid out of obligation.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You know the deal, you tell people NOT to buy you such and such for Christmas and they still think that they know you better then you know yourself. So what DON'T you want for Christmas this year??????

Me, Clothes, I still have clothes I haven't worn from 10 Christmases past, still have the tags on them, will likely die before I wear out the same kind of clothes that are brand new. Automotive stuff, I need no new cleaners, waxes, polishes, sprays, or anything else relating to vehicle care. I have unopened stuff who's ingredients are probably banned in California  and East coast states now. [I still have lead additive cans]

Funnily though, my kid is in his 30's and he still wants socks [wool only please] and underwear every Christmas. Go figure.
View Quote
Does he only want to do laundry once a year?
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Every year I tell my sister not to buy me a gift card and just give me the cash equivalent instead.

Every year she buys me a gift card, and it's usually one that she has to pay a fee to activate.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
From Aldi?  
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I appreciate the gesture but I always get gun accessories. Usually decorations or weird cleaning tools that I don't need. It's nice but silly.

wife and I finally just stopped presents this year with going on vacation instead. It's something I actually want.

My brother and I are the stupidest. they get us a $100 gift certificate to a local restaurant and we get them a $100 gift certificate to a local restaurant. Basically just mailing $100 back and forth now at this point
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Every year.. its always shit you dont want... I mean yeah, I have things I want.. But they are usually things to expensive to ask someone to buy. GF and I told each other no xmas gifts this year because we bought a bedroom suit... I swear to god if she buys me something I am going to be pissed!
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Finally got most of my family and in laws to agree no presents for adults, just kids.
I'd rather have a nice meal together versus some item I don't need or want
View Quote

My Family went that way once me and my brother started working full time. Best decision every.

Wish my wifes Family would adopt the same thing, or at least a secret ssnta type where everybody only has to gift one person.  
Its a hillariously time consuming hassle that is on top of that is also stupidly inefficient. I am constantly shaking my head from early Nov till christmas every year.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Christmas is a fucking waste of time and money.  Who knew?
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Every year.. its always shit you dont want... I mean yeah, I have things I want.. But they are usually things to expensive to ask someone to buy. GF and I told each other no xmas gifts this year because we bought a bedroom suit... I swear to god if she buys me something I am going to be pissed!
View Quote

She will, don't be stupid and not get her anything, it's a test.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
From Aldi?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From Aldi?  

Yes indeed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#26]
The only thing I want for Christmas is Socks and Underwear. I rotate them out once a year!

I don’t need or want anything else’s. I tell my family that everyday is Christmas for me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, I think he finally figured out what I've been telling him for years, wool socks are the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Underwear.  I live in Florida, and we go commando here.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lmao touche

I usually just "sell" it to my wife for cash and we use it on groceries and such. Then I put the cash in my "gun fund" account.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

She will, don't be stupid and not get her anything, it's a test.
View Quote

I gave her a foot massager last week "not as an xmas gift" so hopefully that covers me if she tries to bullshit me
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:39:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Cant go wrong with booze or ammunition.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#32]
As a parent Christmas is about my kids, not me. The gifts i get from the wife or mother in law are usually great.

The father in law then always blows hundreds even thousands, way more than he spends on my kids, buying useless crap the wife and I that we don't want or can't use. The man is a walking example of a failed parent who thinks throwing cash with zero thought will solve a problem, no wonder both his sons are further left than charman Mao.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#33]

I am just asking for a box of rifle ammo for Christmas from each family member. Caliber choices given on a sticky note.  No nonsense.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Christmas is a fucking waste of time and money.  Who knew?
View Quote

Not for retailers.

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Same thing for the last 25 years. I have them make a donation in my name to St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#36]
So either you don't want the corn on the cob, or you don't want the green beans.

What don't you want?
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#37]
We learned years ago to be out of town on vacation during Christmas.  It solves all of these problems with the commercial holiday.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#38]
The last 5 years are starting to boil up with my wife and I. My dad is being particularly annoying this year. I have to give him links to gifts for each kid, my wife, and myself. He'll then ask numerous follow-up questions about each thing. If we tell him not to buy anything, he buys the cheesiest crap that HE thinks everyone will want, and that usually involves crafts made out of sea shells, or pens made from wood. We suggested small gift cards to their favorite store but that "wasn't fun enough" for him.
Our house is packed with junk, he is flat broke, and I do not have time to deal with this. We try to tell him that if he must part ways with his money, please give towards a pool membership, tickets to the museum, take them out for breakfast, stuff like that. Nope, they "need to open toys on Christmas". Those toys are usually forgotten about within the week but we get to deal with them until we donate them. My wife's side is cool, "Here's some cash for the kids". Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
But it really doesn't avoid the problem. Some people show love by thoughtful gift giving. It is my #1 love language. First year I was married my husband told me gifts were for kids and it was stupid to give gifts. Those words bit. But I told myself not to take it personally, that he shows love in another way. I still buy gifts for my husband and they are thoughtful gifts-not stupid ones. This year I bought him a mig welder, plus accessories. I found out that he needed one by listening to him describe the process he will go through when he rebuilds his truck (he's converting a 1994 F350 into a 1966 f100 (or vis- -vis). But he has nearly ruined Christmas for me. Yes I would love a thoughtful gift from him but I would be happy with not being married to Mr Scrouge and the Grinch wrapped in one. Yesterday he asked me what I wanted for Christmas and it really bit. We live rurally, Amazon is getting unreliable at this late date and I'm 6' tall - you can't buy off the rack for me. He knows me well enough to have put some thought into-but he doesn't care too. Some people truly love giving and Christmas is about loving each other-if you are not into giving at least don't suck the life out of those who love you by not being gracious by receiving. It also shouldn't be obligation. No one is obligated to by anyone a gift-that is a lie. I would rather someone just be honest with me and say that they didn't want to buy me a gift-then receive something stupid out of obligation.
View Quote
I was only married for 2 years when my wife told me to stop wasting money on roses for our anniversary.  "Just take me out to dinner!"

I chose wisely. (I buy my own power equipment, she buys her own purses, shoes, and jewelry)
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are missing the opportunity to regift and keep $$$ in your pocket and to cut down on laundry loads by wearing a day or two and toss.  (Think Jack Reacher)
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So either you don't want the corn on the cob, or you don't want the green beans.

What don't you want?
View Quote

The one sock out of a pair my Auntie gave me once. [to be fair, she was a sweetie with bad eyesight, we all laughed our asses off including her.]
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The one sock out of a pair my Auntie gave me once. [to be fair, she was a sweetie with bad eyesight, we all laughed our asses off including her.]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What don't you want?

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I tried telling everyone I didn't want (or need) anything for father's day, my birthday or Christmas and they still bought me things I don't need. While I certainly do appreciate the sentiment I felt kind of guilty not using the gifts I was given.

I finally just asked for a gift certificate from my favorite gun store which has worked out well for everyone. They don't spend time shopping for something they think I'd want and I can always find something at the gun shop I "need."
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No, I don't wear cotton socks, hate them, won't wear them,  and have no use for them other then to cut apart to use as cleaning rags or dusters. Someone always loves to give me those 6 packs of the miserable things. Probably have 4/5 of those packs tossed up on the top shelf in my closet still unopened.

View Quote

If you’re not going to wear/use the stuff why don’t you just donate it?
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Donate them to a homeless shelter.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because most clothes ''donation'' places are a shitpile of nasty garbage dumped and left lying for weeks. Also draws in bums and streetwalkers. SA is out now, don't have any use for the UW, and no one is begging for socks out there anymore then they are begging for underwear.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#47]
If I can't eat it or drink it I don't want or need it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Because most clothes ''donation'' places are a shitpile of nasty garbage dumped and left lying for weeks. Also draws in bums and streetwalkers. SA is out now, don't have any use for the UW, and no one is begging for socks out there anymore then they are begging for underwear.
View Quote

Here Goodwill and countless churches would take any clothing donations you had to offer.   If you won’t donate it then just throw it away
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only one I know of I've donated to in the past and will never again. There is a reason they are ''homeless,'' they are too LAZY to work. [even to the point of refusing to help to carry in boxes of food they will soon be eating] I wasn't raised to affirm those unwilling to work.

I suppose I could ask the dementia care home where the Ex was for a couple of years if they could use them. That is actually an idea that might work. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Yeah - I just got a box of Omaha steaks.

Umm...we are cattle ranchers. I'm not going to darken my freezer door with that garbage.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top